Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's the first of the month so I want to take a moment to repost the Animal Friends Shelter of Gaza GoFundMe page, they're so close to meeting their goal and I'm trying to spread it around as much as possible so they can evacuate their children before Rafah is invaded: https://gofund.me/276d2916

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

That link appears to be down

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

That link appears to be down

Huh. It was up an hour ago. It's the student newspapers, so I wonder if they got cracked down on.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sephyr posted:

Huh. It was up an hour ago. It's the student newspapers, so I wonder if they got cracked down on.

it's back up...it might have gone viral and momentarily been overwhelmed

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

More pier news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68927001

Big items in there, the Brits are getting involved and providing a ship for quarters for workers.

Tuesday (yesterday) they said it be done in a week.

CentCom released an image of a top lift moving pointing around on deck of one of PREPOs.

https://www.centcom.mil/MEDIA/IMAGERY/igphoto/2003452754/

Also in the BBC article relevant to discussions. 20 tons per lorry (which is fully loaded not half loaded trailers) and two million meals a day.

IDF is preparing a staging area on the land side that’s fairly large.

Pier deployment cost is about 1/3 of a billion dollars

Edit : and that it will be about two million meals a day is reported

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CSM posted:

You state this with conviction, but ethnic cleansing/population transfer isn't an act that falls under the genocide convention.

"Ethnic cleansing" was how a group of genocidaires described what they were doing and it's unfortunate it was adopted as the terminology by other parties.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Sephyr posted:

UCLA apparently the pulled the plug on the campus website. Student reporters are claiming censorship.

https://x.com/FilmThePoliceLA/status/1785768925357293785

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 1, 2024

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

UCLA apparently the pulled the plug on the campus website. Student reporters are claiming censorship.

https://x.com/FilmThePoliceLA/status/1785768925357293785

https://x.com/dailybruin/status/1785779712209633311

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

https://x.com/FilmThePoliceLA/status/1785771557106897367

Thanks fool. Here is the article in the meantime.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

My recollection is that the campus newspapers at the UCs (at least Berkeley and UCLA) are 100% independent organizations from the university.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Ethnic cleansing" was how a group of genocidaires described what they were doing and it's unfortunate it was adopted as the terminology by other parties.

Labels don’t make it better or worse. It’s not a magic incantation.

Words exist to convey meaning and they mean whatever we agree to. In this thread the consensus is that genocide describes what Israel is doing so we should just go with that instead of getting sidetracked to pointless arguments over dictionary definitions.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/prem_thakker/status/1785061082924495111

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jessica-seinfeld-and-bill-ackman-fund-pro-israel-counterprotests-at-ucla

Jerry Seinfeld's wife contributed to those assholes. As did Bill Ackman.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 2, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Nonsense posted:

Jerry Seinfeld's wife contributed to those assholes.
Children can be so cruel.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

cat botherer posted:

It's wild how much pushback the college protest is getting

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://x.com/rtiron/status/1785331988485833154

Looks like nobody's keeping another Liberty incident off their bingo card.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

selec posted:

Source / context:
Lloyd Austin says US troops building Gaza aid pier can return fire if attacked by Hamas

nypost.com - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 posted:

WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told House lawmakers Tuesday that US forces helping to construct a floating humanitarian pier along the Gaza Strip’s coast may return fire if attacked from the Hamas-run Palestinian enclave — causing an uproar among both Democrats and Republicans.

Last month, President Biden ordered the Army to build the $320 million “Joint Logistics Over The Shore” jetty system, meant to ease the flow of humanitarian aid into Gaza by sea as Israel’s war against Hamas nears the seven-month mark.

When asked by Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) about the possibility of US forces coming under fire from land, Austin acknowledged to the House Armed Services Committee: “That’s possible, yes.”

“So if someone from land, and Gaza, shoots at our service members who are on the $320 million pier that we’re building, you’re telling me our service members can shoot back?” Gaetz asked.

“They have the right to return fire to protect themselves,” the Pentagon chief affirmed.

Later, in a tense exchange, Gaetz reminded Austin that “President Biden told the country that we weren’t going to have boots on the ground in Gaza.”

“We won’t,” Austin shot back.

“But you guys parse the distinction between – like when Americans think boots on the ground, they think Americans in harm’s way or engaged actively in a conflict,” the Republican said.

“You guys seem to be sort of saying that boots on a pier, connected to the ground, connected to service members shooting into Gaza doesn’t count as boots on the ground.”

When Austin confirmed that notion, Gaetz responded: “I think you’re gonna find the American people have a different perspective on that.”

Hamas officials have made public threats against any outside forces approaching the region. Khalil al-Hayya, a senior official of the jihadist group, recently threatened that it would attack Israeli or other forces who may be stationed around the pier.

“We categorically reject any non-Palestinian presence in Gaza, whether at sea or on land, and we will deal with any military force present in these places, Israeli or otherwise … as an occupying power,” he said.

Gaetz said Austin’s admission that a firefight could break out was a “very telling moment.”

“You’ve said something that’s quite possible,” the Floridian said. “Shots from Gaza, on our service members, and then the response – our armed service members shooting live fire into Gaza – that is a possible outcome here so that we can become the Port Authority and run this pier.

“If we’re gonna have people shooting into Gaza,” Gaetz concluded, “we [Congress] probably should have a vote on that pursuant to our war powers.”

Democrats also raised questions about the potential implications of a Hamas attack on US troops on the pier, though the party has generally been more enthusiastic about delivering humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.) questioned Austin about whether putting US forces under threat of attack could provoke a wider conflict after the defense secretary said the “Israelis will provide additional security in the area.”

“As many as 1,000 US uniformed officers are going to be involved in setting up here; a smaller number will be resident there,” she said. “If we are shot at – if more artillery is shot at us – who is responding and with what operating procedures is that military responding?”

Austin declined to detail how the Israel Defense Forces would respond to attacks on US troops, but Slotkin posited that an uncontrolled Israeli retaliation for such a move could exacerbate the onslaught on Gaza.

“I just think given the differences I think we have with the Israelis on civilian casualties,” she said, “we better get right clear about what the response is going to be when we are shot at, since I don’t think many Americans feel that it reflects the same values that we have here.”

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

selec posted:

They're talking about US soldiers defending themselves against any theoretical attack by Hamas.

Also, please don't bring up the USS L*****y incident as that's a very anti-semitic thing to mention.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

32 Americans have been killed by Hamas since October 7th but 34 Americans were killed by the attack on the USS Liberty.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 2, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If the pier could actually help Gaza, the IOF would bomb it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Brits may be the drivers down the pier onto the shore

https://maritime-executive.com/article/uk-military-may-supply-the-drivers-for-the-maritime-aid-pier-in-gaza

Space_Wizard
Dec 21, 2018

Vorenus posted:

They're talking about US soldiers defending themselves against any theoretical attack by Hamas.

Also, please don't bring up the USS L*****y incident as that's a very anti-semitic thing to mention.

Genuine question,

I know that that incident has absolutely been coopted by anti-semites in the past but why do you think it is inherently anti-semetic to mention? It seems an incident in which US forces that could be perceived to be acting contrary to the interests of the Israeli state were attacked by the Israeli state would be pertinent in the current circumstances.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

moths posted:

If the pier could actually help Gaza, the IOF would bomb it.

nah, you're just listening to shitposting nihilists. the idf is not going to bomb the pier for basically the same reasons it hasn't shelled the depots on the egyptian side of that rafah crossing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Israel won't physically destroy the pier; I'm saying they don't need to bother.

They can throttle it the same as any other crossing. If they couldn't, it would go the way of the hospitals.

I was thinking about the quoted "Western soldiers defending it against Hamas" scenarios, realized they're in more danger from Israel, and then discounted that for the above.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Large number of UCLA students hospitalized after being assaulted by ZIonist counterprotestors

https://twitter.com/dailybruin/status/1785799963177578607

The pigs have shown up to hospitalize some more

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1785999390647181772

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Space_Wizard posted:

Genuine question,

I know that that incident has absolutely been coopted by anti-semites in the past but why do you think it is inherently anti-semetic to mention? It seems an incident in which US forces that could be perceived to be acting contrary to the interests of the Israeli state were attacked by the Israeli state would be pertinent in the current circumstances.

They're making a joke

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Goatse James Bond posted:

nah, you're just listening to shitposting nihilists. the idf is not going to bomb the pier for basically the same reasons it hasn't shelled the depots on the egyptian side of that rafah crossing.

Why are there shitposting nihilists here?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
For what theoretical reason would Hamas attack the pier? Is it supposed to be the thing about them stealing supplies again?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fidelitious posted:

For what theoretical reason would Hamas attack the pier? Is it supposed to be the thing about them stealing supplies again?

I know it's :tinfoil: but my initial reaction was to foam the runway for an IDF false flag.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fidelitious posted:

Why would they attack American soldiers? Because they are soldiers and American. With America's role in the conflict, why wouldn't they attack them?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The article mawarannahr quoted above includes a quotation from Hamas that implicitly threatens to attack whoever is manning the pier, and provides their reasoning for doing so:

quote:

Al-Hayya also implicitly threatened that Hamas would attack Israeli or other forces who might be stationed around a floating pier the US is scrambling to build along Gaza’s coastline to deliver aid by sea.

“We categorically reject any non-Palestinian presence in Gaza, whether at sea or on land, and we will deal with any military force present in these places, Israeli or otherwise … as an occupying power,” he said.
Although even if you got Hamas on-board with the pier I'm not convinced they still have the control required to keep other groups in Gaza from attacking it. US troops will likely always be regarded as a prestigious target by local forces.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

cat botherer posted:

:drat:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Why are there shitposting nihilists here?

On the Something Awful Forums? I wonder if you can puzzle that one out yourself, professor.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The article mawarannahr quoted above includes a quotation from Hamas that implicitly threatens to attack whoever is manning the pier, and provides their reasoning for doing so:

It should not be forgotten that there are two cooperating groups who want a genocide of Palestinians by Israel, , and only one of them is Israeli.

It’s a fundamental, but sadly common, mistake of analysis to suggest that Hamas and the Israeli government are somehow opposed. The point of divergence in what they want is at least a decade in the future. Until then, they are strategic allies of necessity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

radmonger posted:

It should not be forgotten that there are two cooperating groups who want a genocide of Palestinians by Israel, , and only one of them is Israeli.

It’s a fundamental, but sadly common, mistake of analysis to suggest that Hamas and the Israeli government are somehow opposed. The point of divergence in what they want is at least a decade in the future. Until then, they are strategic allies of necessity.

wat

No, Hamas does not want IDF to genocide the Palestinian population in Gaza.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

radmonger posted:

what the hell

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Move it along people, it was a bad post and it has been handled.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I thought racism is specifically allowed by D&D rules though, as long as it isn't directed against another poster personally, of course.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

I thought racism is specifically allowed by D&D rules though, as long as it isn't directed against another poster personally, of course.

Even if it is, as long as it's polite and calm. The calmest hitler, if you will. Positions are not moderated, even awful ones. Only posting.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah post seemed pretty calm and polite, aside from the inherent impoliteness of being racist, which is specifically carved out in the rules as protected.

Did the rules change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Israel tortured the head of orthopedics in Gaza's largest hospital to death over 4 months in captivity:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/prominent-gaza-doctor-dies-israeli-prison-2024-05-02/