Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the Welterweight champ for longer than one day in 2016?
This poll is closed.
Robbie Lawler 47 61.04%
Carlos Condit 19 24.68%
Condit, and also Bluedeanie you are wrong, Condit deserves this title fight because *gross long wet fart noise* 11 14.29%
Total: 77 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOg_lTmdhxs

:toot: Should auld acquaintance be forgot, And never brought to mind? Should auld acquaintance be forgot, And days o’ lang syne! :toot:

Welcome to the Year of Our Lord 2016, and the GDT for UFC 195: Lawler vs. Condit, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, Jan. 2, only on pay-per-view! Since it’s a PPV, don’t post streams.
This morning, as we lay in bed refusing to read this OP because the backlight from our monitors and phones are too bright, we can rest easy knowing the only reason all our favorite fighters aren’t equally hung over is because they have to make weight later. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t human, and don’t have their own goals and aspirations for the new year. Let’s celebrate their commitments to being better people by beating another one unconscious for what promises to be a huge year for UFC!

:siren: For the Welterweight Title :siren:

Robbie Lawler ( C )
New Year’s Resolution: Have the consensus fight of the year for the third year in a row

vs.

Carlos Condit
New Year’s Resolution: Be more assertive, less meek

EvanSchenck posted:

My uncle was supposedly a stud wrestler at Bettendorf High a few years older than Miletich, although I don't really know anything about it beyond he had a career-ending knee injury and never did anything athletically after he graduated HS. He's not really a fan of MMA but he kept up with Miletich off and on and met some of his guys over the years. Last time I saw him I asked about it and he mentioned he'd met Robbie, I think because I asked not long after the MacDonald fight and he might have seen some news about it. He said that Robbie had "nothing going on upstairs" except he was obsessed with fighting and freakishly good at everything to do with it, which made him a very scary person.
That's my second-hand Robbie Lawler anecdote.

Carlos Condit doesn’t deserve to have this fight off of a long layoff and a single win over a bad, unranked opponent, while the guy who beat him is forced to sit on the sidelines and read Johnny Hendricks’ food blog. Now that I’ve got that necessary disclaimer out of the way, nobody in the world is really complaining because this fight is going to be good as hell. There’s always a clear path to victory against Condit, and there are certain guys who I’d pick to beat him 10 times out of 10, but because he hits hard, throws combos that you cannot prepare for because hardly anyone else in the world can throw them and outright never quits, he is at worst a very live dog in literally every single fight he enters. GSP beat him handily, but Condit was a few solid ground shots away from beating the Greatest Of All Times™. He and Condit will test each others’ exceptional chins to their outermost limits.

Heavyweight

Stipe Miocic
New Year’s Resolution: Keep ducking Ben Rothwell

vs.

Andrei Arlovski
New Year’s Resolution: Earn the longest win streak of his career

Stipe gets some heat around here for grinding Mark Hunt into a paste, but with legitimate feats of athleticism and a skillset that can be described as “Cain Velasquez but not as good at anything in particular,” Miocic is a probably here to stay as a legitimate top-5 staple. His only career losses are to Junior dos Santos — which is not as good/acceptable as it sounds because dos Santos was a hollow shell of himself by that point — and Stefan Struve — which is way better and more acceptable than it sounds because that was basically the only fight in Struve’s career where he realized he could hit someone on the opposite end of the Octagon. If Miocic doesn’t feel like he can come out and blast Arlovski off his feet at the opening bell, look for him to either take Andrei down or push him up into the cage to grind something out.

Andrei Arlovski is one win away from the longest win streak in his long and storied MMA career. People counted him out as done after Fedor kicked off a four-fight losing streak in the B-leaagues, but now he’s back and with wins over Travis Browne and Bigfoot Silva, he may arguably be beating better people than in his original UFC title run. He is 4-0 in his current UFC stint, and 2-2 for really good, fun, exciting fights. If we are lucky, Miocic will fall in the former category and not resemble the Schaub or Mir fights in any way. Now that I have said this in words, it will surely be exactly like that.

Welterweight

Albert Tumenov
New Year’s Resolution: Bring honor and glory to the Balkar people

vs.

Lorenz Larkin
New Year’s Resolution: Maintain his fight of the night streak

At this point, the card takes a very steep downturn in quality. Honestly everything on the main card should be pretty fun to watch, but outside of the main and comain, none of them are important or meaningful in any way. Albert Tumenov is another one of those young guys to watch coming out of a conflict-riddled Russian federal subjects. He lost his UFC debut in an aggressively boring split decision to Iuri Alcantara’s even shittier brother, but has since gone on a four-fight streak with three KOs, two of which started off with head kicks. I believe in you, Albert Tumenov.

Lorenz Larkin has a win over Robbie Lawler at middleweight. Upon entering the UFC, he proved the Lawler Career Paradox by violently making GBS threads he bed, going 1-4 in the division. To be fair, it should have been 2-3 thanks to some poo poo judging against Carmont, but the fact remains that his only win was a decision over fuckin’ Chris Camozzi. Upon dropping to welterweight, however, he’s finished two out of two bouts, earning a bonus check each time. He hopes to make it three, I’m sure.

Featherweight

Diego Brandao
New Year’s Resolution: Get through the whole year without threatening to stab a man at a weigh-in or in line for a port-a-potty at Carnival

vs.

Brian Ortega
New Year’s Resolution: Don’t get stabbed at the weigh-ins or in line for a port-a-potty at Carnival

Diego Brandao was one of those Next Anderson Silvas on TUF before proving in the actual UFC he is a midcarder at best. He comes out fast and furious and then gasses relentlessly. Despite this, he has two UFC decision wins. He’s going to get really aggressive and mean at the weigh-ins in a few hours we’re all going to roll our eyes.

Brian Ortega is undefeated and has two submission UFC finishes against fairly decent competition. Thanks to drug use, only one of them counts. Brandao will still be a test for him honestly, but this should still absolutely be a winnable fight.

Lightweight

Abel Trujillo
New Year’s Resolution: Beat fighters, not girlfriends

vs.

Tony Sims
New Year’s Resolution: Finally earn a Wikipedia article

Abel Trujillo is the Chris Leben of lightweight, which sucks because he is a wife beater and I don’t want to like him. His Varner fight was pretty great and he got knocked out on his feet two or three times before wrecking him, and in true Lebenesque fashion he puts on really great-looking runs against low-level or beat-up guys to get everyone’s hopes up before losing handily to good or seasoned fighters. He has bad enough submission defense that he gave Gleison Tibau his first finish since John Cholish in 2013.

Tony Sims has a UFC finish but nobody has bothered to make a Wikipedia article for him. Here is his Sherdog if you really care to learn about him.

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH
FS1 Prelims, 8 p.m. ET
:siren: Bantamweight Michael McDonald vs. Masanori Kanehara :siren:
Welterweight Kyle Noke vs. Alex Morono
Women's Strawweight Justine Kish vs. Nina Ansaroff
Lightweight Drew Dober vs. Scott Holtzman

UFC Fight Pass Prelims, 6:30 p.m. ET
:siren: Lightweight Dustin Poirier vs. Joseph Duffy :siren:
Bantamweight Joe Soto vs. Michinori Tanaka
Welterweight Edgar Garcia vs. Sheldon Westcott

Official Weigh-Ins, 7 p.m. ET Today, Jan. 1
http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-195-official-weigh-in

Official MMA Snack Rating: Leftover New Year’s Eve party food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

PS: Make your picks in Goonweight! And as always, read Marching Powder's Midcard Madness.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 2, 2016

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

New Year's Eve leftovers are easily the best hangover chow there is.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Poirier/Duffy is such a crazy fight to have on the early prelims, but hey, I'll take it.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

For non-Fight Pass subscribers that want to get hype without starting at a computer screen, FS1 is going to replay Lawler/MacDonald II in a few hours (full card starts at 2 PM CST)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

double negative posted:

Poirier/Duffy is such a crazy fight to have on the early prelims, but hey, I'll take it.

I think they're trying to push Fight Pass in a big way.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

double negative posted:

It's a make good for Fight Pass subscribers since that fight fell through on a Fight Pass card.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Whole card could be really, really good, or really tepid depending on how the fighters feel. Except for the main event. Nothing will stop that fight from being good.

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 1, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"New Year’s Resolution: Don’t get stabbed at the weigh-ins or in line for a port-a-potty at Carnival"

Amazing

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The fighters lower on the card are certainly not exactly world beaters, but I like that there's always a chance for some deeply flawed fighter to show massive strides forward in technique. Condit Lawler is a fight I don't want to see either guy lose. So it'll be kind of cool just to see two loving animals go for it for 25 minutes.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Seems like a quick turnaround for Kyle Noke after fighting in 193.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Lawler-Condit is going to end in the first ever 50-50 draw and we will all agree that they both are the best and will fight future contenders in a tag team format.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Lawler-Condit is going to end in the first ever 50-50 draw and we will all agree that they both are the best and will fight future contenders in a tag team format.

Lawler/Condit vs GSP/Rory

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hollandia posted:

Seems like a quick turnaround for Kyle Noke after fighting in 193.

Noke walked in kicked a man in the live so he screamed like a girl and left. I think he maybe got punched once in his last fight.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Cerrone will fight Tim Means at Welterweight on Feb. 21

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJmuyDBm54

weigh ins!

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Everyone made weight. The PPV tomorrow night is shallow, but that is a fantastic main event. Lawler vs Condit should be entertaining as hell.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I didn't realize how much of a height and reach advantage Condit has. Robbie is really good at staying in the pocket, but I could also see Condit keeping him at range, especially with kicks. MacDonald had a lot of success with kicks in the third and fourth round and Condit is a better/more creative kicker.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Northjayhawk posted:

Cerrone shamed into Welterweight and I will be cheering on the Dirty Bird.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Northjayhawk posted:

Everyone made weight. The PPV tomorrow night is shallow, but that is a fantastic main event. Lawler vs Condit should be entertaining as hell.

i completely disagree friend.brandao / ortega is a quality match-up, and ortega is one of the best prospects in the division. his fight against thiago tavares is a loving classic. and he cheats well for a young guy too (steroids). tumenov / larkin will be an amazing standup war, and that can be said for the following two fights too.

you can read a bit more in depth why those fights (and more) will be rad at my blog

sorry for my tardiness bluedeanie.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also i hope for a good result for joe soto. he lost his way into my heart by making a good fight on no notice against tj, and the poor guy just can't catch a break.also has anyone got a video of the last kyle noke knockout? you know the one with the snapping sound of the guy's ribs followed by a howl of pain?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Marching Powder posted:

also i hope for a good result for joe soto. he lost his way into my heart by making a good fight on no notice against tj, and the poor guy just can't catch a break.also has anyone got a video of the last kyle noke knockout? you know the one with the snapping sound of the guy's ribs followed by a howl of pain?

Oh god that was at 193 right? What an insane finish.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Northjayhawk posted:

That's a fantastic fight

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Aside from a freak flash KO at the hands of Nick Diaz of all people and a leg injury from Tyron Woodley, both of the men in the main have been finished by subs. Pat Healy choked out Condit a decade ago and Lawler met the same fate from Ronaldo Souza four years ago in Strikeforce. Seeing how we all expect fireworks on their feet, how do you think the fight would go if they went to the ground? I don't see either man taking the other down but I see Condit losing on the ground if it went there, him being dangerous off his back notwithstanding.

E: aside from a couple of places where Condit is a VERY tiny favorite, oddsmakers have both Lawler and Condit dead even. This fight is going to be great.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 2, 2016

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

Soto also had a great performance as the runner up at the Eddie Bravo Invitational grappling tournament a few months ago. I hope he gets to showcase his ground game tomorrow, it's sick.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I would like to see another Lawler 5 round thing but I'm feeling like it's ending in the first or second by KO you guys

I will have 3 first time ufc viewers with me so I just hope the main card has fights both good and cool

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

crazy cloud posted:

I would like to see another Lawler 5 round thing but I'm feeling like it's ending in the first or second by KO you guys

it could but I wouldn't bet on the fight ending early. Lawler and Condit both excel as fights go on, the quick finishes they've had have almost always been over poorer competition. Usually it takes a while for the accumulation of a beatdown to happen.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

i heard it through the grapevine

https://vine.co/v/ibqIHvvlJPI

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Forceholy posted:

Aside from a freak flash KO at the hands of Nick Diaz of all people

It wasn't a freak KO, Nick caught him with the same check hook he throws in every fight when somebody tries to close distance on him. Robbie was coming in and he never saw the lead hook coming, and it landed on the button. It'd never happen today, because lot of Robbie's apparent resilience actually comes from his outstanding defense. He wouldn't lead with his chin as he did in that KO. It was most visually impressive in his fights with Hendricks, but generally it is really hard to hit him cleanly on the head. Condit, though, has unorthodox strikes like the ducking-away head kick he almost stopped GSP with, that he might catch Robbie with in the same way.

quote:

and a leg injury from Tyron Woodley, both of the men in the main have been finished by subs. Pat Healy choked out Condit a decade ago and Lawler met the same fate from Ronaldo Souza four years ago in Strikeforce. Seeing how we all expect fireworks on their feet, how do you think the fight would go if they went to the ground? I don't see either man taking the other down but I see Condit losing on the ground if it went there, him being dangerous off his back notwithstanding.

E: aside from a couple of places where Condit is a VERY tiny favorite, oddsmakers have both Lawler and Condit dead even. This fight is going to be great.

Lawler is the better wrestler, being as Condit has basically no wrestling at all, but he doesn't make much use of it offensively. Both guys will want to fight it out on the feet and I actually expect that any fighting on the ground will be the result of somebody getting knocked down by strikes, in which case the guy on the bottom will already be in massive trouble. I think if Robbie wanted to take Condit down he probably could, because Condit can't defend takedowns, but I don't know how that would go. On the one hand Condit is good off his back and really hard to control, but on the other hand Robbie hits with ferocious power so he is not a good guy to have on top of you. I see it to Robbie's advantage.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

i heard it through the grapevine

https://vine.co/v/ibqIHvvlJPI

Yeeeesh. Thanks.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Picks:

Lawler TKO (Hoping for a Condit win though)
Arlovski by KO
Tumenov by KO
Ortega by Decision
Trujilo by KO
McDonald by TKO
Noke by TKO
Kish by Decision
Holtzman by Decision
Duffy by KO
Tanaka by Sub
Westcott by Decision

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3keveg_classic-video-of-robbie-lawler-falling-asleep-at-a-press-conference_sport

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
UFC 189 v UFC 116 for best event ever now that time has passed.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Lid posted:

UFC 189 v UFC 116 for best event ever now that time has passed.

Main card was probably a little better for 189, but 116 definitely had better prelims, so I guess it's up to if you're defining it by strength of card top to bottom or strength of the portion for which you paid money.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
189's prelims were not that bad and the main card is by far better for finishes, storylines, and importance. 189 is better than 116.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
189 gets my vote because I have seen it and it ruled

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just to put it into focus, 189 has -two- fights that most websites are shortlisting as fight of the year.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Just to put it into focus, 189 has -two- fights that most websites are shortlisting as fight of the year.

Bermudez/Stephens I hope!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

Bermudez/Stephens I hope!

Yep, and Lawler-MacDonald. That's a motherfucker of a card right there. Pretty much everything on the PPV could have been fight of the night on a lesser event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

it could but I wouldn't bet on the fight ending early. Lawler and Condit both excel as fights go on, the quick finishes they've had have almost always been over poorer competition. Usually it takes a while for the accumulation of a beatdown to happen.

I remember when I put together a Condit highlight reel for a uni media thing, I was surprised by how few 'big shots' there were for Condit. It's all about lots of surprising shots from weird angles, then he pounces and mauls them. Robbie's definitely got the edge in raw striking power. Condit is more "death by a thousand cuts," He's also got to have one of the best killer instincts in the sport.

CommonShore posted:

Also, two bullshit ridiculous flying knee KOs on the main card

• Locked thread