Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
As posted in the last thread:

First goon to die from mt dew and cheetos withdrawal at everest base camp 2016 here I come...if no one else beats me to that before november.

p.s. bonus picture of what the trekk will most likely look like

elwood fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Rondette posted:

Yeah I'm genuinely excited to have a Goon go up there! Be sure to take lots of piccos pls.

I don't think I'm the fist one. IIRC there was someone else who posted pictures a few years back in one of the old threads.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Xibanya posted:

Hi guys, I made a video game based on the Everest mock threads. If you'd like to play it, you can get it here: http://slamfighter.com/download

This didn't get the attention it deserves in the old thread. It's a slooooooow download though.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

From walking to base camp and back in 3 weeks? I hope not. I'm neither wealthy nor stupid enough to climb that stupid mountain. I'm just walking to base camp have a look around (there will be nothing there really in november), walk up Kalla Patthar for some nice views and turn around back to Lukla.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

anyway, i think i can probably hike up to base camp for only 5k

3k for 22 days including flights, guide, porter, lodging and food.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Someone will give birth at base camp.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3465726/Climbers-make-winter-ascent-Pakistans-Killer-Mountain.html

quote:

Climbers from Pakistan, Spain and Italy have become the first mountaineers to scale Nanga Parbat, Pakistan's "Killer Mountain" and second highest peak after K2, in winter, a mountaineering official said Friday...

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
http://www.outsideonline.com/2017426/how-hollywood-filmed-movie-everest

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

RKRGoat posted:

Yo: "Death reported on Tibet side from abenteuer-outdoor source"

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2016/02/01/everest-2016-team-locations/

http://www.abenteuer-outdoor.eu/expeditionen/2016-tibet-everest/blog/

quote:

Vor drei Tagen gab bei der benachbarten britisch/kanadischen Expedition leider einen Todesfall. Ein 61jähriger Bergkamerad ist an Herzversagen gestorben.

Someone from a british/canadian expedition died from a heart attack on may 11th.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Hopper posted:

Also noteworthy from that same article:

"Yesterday I visited the 7 Summit Expedition, and what I saw was frankly amazing. The Russians were very friendly and hospitable and I was invited to enjoy their sizeable leisure area with pool table, ping pong table, deck chairs, TV etc."

Translation and bolding mine. Excrements in the snow all over the place, but hey at least they have a pool table.

If you haven't seen it watch Sherpa and take a look at Himalayan Experience's community tent.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

blackcross posted:

Thought of you guys earlier. I'm doing the EBC trek right now and on the way from Thukla to Louboche, we passed the climbers memorials. So of course I had to look for our favorite Canadian, Shriya Shah Klorfine.

And hers was ridiculously easy to find. It was literally the second one I looked at and its got huge pictures of her on multiple sides. Other than Scott Fischer (who has a bright white memorial with SCOTT FISCHER painted on it in huge black letters), hers was probably easily the most identifiable.

Also I got to chat with the cameraman who filmed Everest: Doctors in the Death Zone for a while in a lodge one night so that was awesome. He's there this year with a UAE military team, filming for National Geographic Middle East. He also filmed a six part series on K2. Hardcore, man, trekking was enough for me!

I'm doing the trek in the fall. Would you mind giving me a few hints/tipps on what to expect/what to do/what to bring and what to leave back home?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
According to spiegel.de at least 150 have summited today and should be on the way back down.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Dr Sun Try posted:

Ararat is easy mode, the peak can be reached by ship....

As is Kilimanjaro and Aconcagua.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Picnic Princess posted:

So Everest has been open for what, a week? And already 3 dead tourists. If this was a real themepark it would be shut down already.

The climbing season is almost over. If it stays this way it will be seen as a good year.
Lets just hope the mountain is not on a crash diet and that it won't have a cheat-day before the season ends.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Cartoon posted:

You didn't die. Fix this one thing and then we're golden.

You mean we are all just heros in waiting?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
if you can read german, an interview with someone who summited this year:

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/fernweh/mount-everest-alle-standen-sich-im-weg-interview-mit-toni-stocker-a-1095316.html

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I hope there is a gym at basecamp.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I'm bored and this thread has been too quiet, so here is the itinerary for my base camp trek in October.

1st day: Frankfurt - Abu Dhabi
2nd day: Abu Dhabi - Kathmandu; check in at hotel; try not getting ripped off in the stores of thamel, meet group in the evening
3rd day: Kathmandu - Lukla, fly to Lukla, meet guides and porter; walk to Monjo (2800m) (5 hours walking)
4th day: walk to Namche Bazar (3450m) (3.5 hours walking)
5th day: acclimatization day: climb high on a day trek, sleep low in Namche Bazar
6th day: walk to Thame monestary (3800m), sleep somewhere else I guess (5 hours walking)
7th day: walk to Khumjung (3800m) (7 hours walking)
8th day: cross Mong La Pass (3973m, stay in lodge at..I don't know (4400m) (7 hours walking)
9th day: make our way to Gokyo (4750m) (5 hours walking)
10th day: climb Gokyo Ri (5360m) (5 hours walking)
11th day: make our way to cho la pass, cross Ngozumpa glacier, stay in Thangnak (4700m) (7 hours walking)
12th day: cross Cho La pass (5420m) stay at Dzongla (4843m) (7 hours walking)
13th day: walk to Lobuche (4930m) (3.5 hours walking)
14th day: climb Kala Pattar (5545m), stay at Gorak Shep (5200m) (5 hours walking)
15th day: visit Everest base camp (5400m), stay in Lobuche (4930m) (9 hours walking); or insult a Sherpa, chase through the khumbu icefall, die by serac and or sherpa
16th day: walk to Pangboche (3980m) (5 hours walking)
17th day: walk to Namche Bazar (3450m) (7 hours walking)
18th day: walk to Lukla (2800m) hope that weather is good enough to fly out the next day (7 hours walking)
19th day: Lukla - Kathmandu: pray that weather permits flights out of Lukla
20th day: sightseeing in Kathmandu or beeing stuck in Lukla
21th day: Kathmandu - Abu Dhabi in the evening; if still in Lukla, charter helicopter
22th day: back home

elwood fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 11, 2016

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
anyone tried this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384750/

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Put my gear together for the base camp trip. I'm at 17kg (duffel and daypack combined) and that does not even include life saving cheetos rations! Gotta lose 2kg for the flight to Lukla.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Got almost all of my gear sorted, but the weight limited is a bit of a hassle. Just 15kg for 22 days of trekking. Three weeks to go.

http://imgur.com/a/bPlI0

Not pictured: Camera, chocolate, salami sticks, walking sticks

elwood fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 25, 2016

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Outrail posted:

15kg is pretty good imo. Plus food and water....

How much of that is cotton?

During the day? None. All Merino.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/11/sports-illustrated-mount-everest-climb-vr/

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Everything is packed. I'm flying to Kathmandu tomorrow. If everything works according to plan, I'm in Lukla on friday, Namche Basar on saturday and Base Camp on november 2nd.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

Dead on November 3rd.

Or earlier.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Paramemetic posted:

Make sure you update this thread when you die so we can make the appropriate photoshops and so on.

I will instruct my social media team immediately.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Update: I'm in Namche Right now. Still alive

elwood fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 22, 2016

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
About 10-12 C in the sun and a bit above freezing at night.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Namche Day 2

Everest is right above the ax (and my finger in the bottom left, drat).

elwood fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 23, 2016

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

How many hours did it take to climb from here:

to here:

15 minutes

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Namche to Thame

elwood fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 24, 2016

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

extra stout posted:

I miss elwood already

Me too.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Thame to Khumjung

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Sand Monster posted:

Approximately how far away is Everest in this picture?

No clue sorry. I'm just a stupid tourist that basically gets carried everywhere by a sherpa.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Khumjung to Luza

Luza to Gokyo

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
"Climbing" Gokyo Ri

Gokyo to Thangnak

elwood fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 29, 2016

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Crossing cho la pass (middle of the first picture)

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I think I'll come across our favourite dead canadian memorial tomorrow. Might have to look up her photoshopped pose for that.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Aphex- posted:

They won't be of Everest but I can post pictures of the Annapurna region here once I'm back home and have sorted through them if there is an interest for them?

I can't recommend the circuit enough, it's just unbelievable all the way through.

I'd love to see them. That might be on my radar next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Dzongla to Lobuche

Base Camp tomorrow.

elwood fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 31, 2016