Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
http://i.imgur.com/hZncNJ3.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From the military history thread, a F-89 trials air-to-air rockets against a B-17 drone.

https://i.imgur.com/n1Y98E0.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DoktorLoken posted:

Story time? I have no idea what this is from other than having seen the picture a bunch of times.

So, back in the 1940s and 50s, the Air Force wanted to know if you could power a bomber with a nuclear reactor, or at least find out what happens when you stuff a nuclear reactor in an airplane. They refitted a B-36 to carry a nuclear reactor aloft and find out what happened. That thing was what the Air Force built to handle and service the reactor and its radioactive components, including loading and unloading radioactive material from the bomber. It's seen handling eggs without cracking them as a way to demonstrate its fine touch and level of precision for that job.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pryor on Fire posted:

They found the Japanese Battleship Hiei

Here's what it looked like from a B17 trying to finish off a badly damaged Hiei leaking oil with a stuck rudder

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/eha_news/status/1130088787151851521?s=21

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Trench warfare must’ve had to be the most godawful thing to ever exist during WWI.

How about arctic conditions and Austro-Hungarian leadership and organization. An excerpt from a book I read about the Carpathian front:

quote:

Readers of this investigation will note the frequent depiction of Habsburg troops as utterly exhausted and increasingly apathetic. At the risk of sounding repetitive, the mental and physical condition of Habsburg troops is critical to understanding the Carpathian Winter War. The exhaustion experienced in combat under winter conditions is incomprehensible to those who have not suffered under such circumstances. Reading the daily log-books of Habsburg units participating in the Carpathian Winter War, one would be hard-pressed to find an entry that did not include the words ganz eschopft ("utterly exhausted"). The men's physical and mental exhaustion was exacerbated by hunger. Food supplies often did not reach the front, and those that did were often frozen solid. The men began to hallucinate about food, driving them to near insanity. In the winter of 1915, not only did Habsburg Supreme Command decide to deploy massive armies into a region unfit for a major combat operation, but also, it did so with no provision for the most basic of necessities - food, clothing, and shelter.

The worst conditions were experienced during winter months. Weary soldiers spent the long winter nights struggling to stay awake to avoid frostbite or freezing to death. Emotional fatigue set in, compounded by the impact of the elements and the lack of food and sleep. Compasses malfunctioned, leading units, some as large as regiments, to march blindly in circles in dense woods during blizzards. Water jackets froze, leading machine guns to misfire or fail to fire. The troops often had to resort to warming their rifles over fires so the weapons functioned properly.

The Carpathian Winter War provided significant for many reasons. It would be the final campaign for the once revered k.u.k. army. In the chaos of the opening battles, the Habsburg army sacrificed 40 percent (420,000 men) of its mobilized combat troops (100,000 dead, 220,000 wounded, 100,000 prisoners of war). Only 404,000 professional officers, noncommissioned officers, and soldiers of the million-man army fought in the initial August-September campaigns. Thus, well over half of the Habsburg army was now made up of reservists or Landsturm troops (comparable to the U.S. pre-Iraq War national guard). Tons of war materiel, weaponry, food, 216 artillery pieces, and 15,000 railroad rolling stock and hundreds of kilometers of railroad tracks and locomotives were also forfeited in the battle and subsequent retreat. Furthermore, in sacrificing Galicia, grain warehouses and important manpower were also lost. How could these be replaced?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/oliharris808/status/1403365604162166785?s=21

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/USSMidwayMuseum/status/1489720895799115780

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sighted in Germany, per source.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Flikken posted:

I want to know what the one in front said before it was photo shopped out

I'd wager my e-honor it's 'Penis.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Beats that one time the British government proposed deploying chicken-powered nuclear landmines in Germany.