Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slugworth posted:

B) I technically shouldn't know what she makes, and have always sort of had the philosophy that I don't wanna know what other people make, or let them know what I make.
You don't have this, you were trained to think you do. Unlearn what you have learned. Share knowledge freely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You should talk about pay. The only reason it was ever considered rude to discuss it is because that makes your manager's life easier, not because of any actual social etiquette breach. "Hey guys, why does the new person with less experience and credentials make more than me, and how are we going to fix that?"

Arquinsiel posted:

You don't have this, you were trained to think you do. Unlearn what you have learned. Share knowledge freely.

Yeah this. Even the US protects your right to discuss wages and our collective labor laws are dogshit garbage.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 1, 2024

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lockback posted:

A) So its good that you feel well, remove the other person from the equation. Are you paid market rate? Do you have a BATNA that is significantly more? Is it possible this new person is just overpaid?
B) Don't think like this. Sharing salary is fine.
C)Ok, so it sounds like they are paying you properly.
D)But then this sounds like a good deal for your bosses.

So ultimately if you don't want to talk about pay and don't want to leave you're probably going to be underpaid. If you don't think you'll leave I wouldn't make a big thing about it but you can probably talk about wanting a pay review, but since they just gave you +20% they probably will ignore you.
All fair points, I appreciate everyone's input. I think I was secretly hoping someone would tell me there was a certain way to loudly sigh that would inform them that I need to be paid more without an uncomfortable conversation. I think my current plan is gonna be essentially this:

Parallelwoody posted:

"Hey guys, why does the new person with less experience and credentials make more than me, and how are we going to fix that?"
But with much less confidence.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You have to have that conversation where you have real evidence that you are underpaid. Good news: you have evidence that you are underpaid. Bad news: you are begging, your BATNA is bad, and you just got a 20% bump, so it probably won't do much.

I might save it for a pre-internal review discussion in the longer term, and maybe framed up more around what your career/advancement path is. If the only thing that is actually making you mad is knowing what someone else makes, you're on a little bit shaky ground if only because you won't be very strong in your ask and it can easily become a functional complaint about the other person. It sounds like you already do not like nor respect this other person so your conversation will almost certainly be tainted by that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Slugworth posted:

All fair points, I appreciate everyone's input. I think I was secretly hoping someone would tell me there was a certain way to loudly sigh that would inform them that I need to be paid more without an uncomfortable conversation. I think my current plan is gonna be essentially this:

But with much less confidence.

yes, there is. the phrase is, "i have received an outside offer and am considering taking it. i enjoy working here, but would need to make at least $X to stay."

then you leave if they dont give it to you

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You have to have that conversation where you have real evidence that you are underpaid. Good news: you have evidence that you are underpaid. Bad news: you are begging, your BATNA is bad, and you just got a 20% bump, so it probably won't do much.

I might save it for a pre-internal review discussion in the longer term, and maybe framed up more around what your career/advancement path is. If the only thing that is actually making you mad is knowing what someone else makes, you're on a little bit shaky ground if only because you won't be very strong in your ask and it can easily become a functional complaint about the other person. It sounds like you already do not like nor respect this other person so your conversation will almost certainly be tainted by that.

Absolutely great advice. If truly you'd be just as happy if they said "You're right, we're going to cut that persons pay" then keep your trap shut because your on a path that will only hurt you and almost certainly not help you. If you have legit argument around your career growth and compensation great! But holding off until you have firmer ground (and "I just got a 20% bump I didn't ask for" is not very firm ground) is probably for the best.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
And if you don't like that answer, and you're still not satisfied with your pay and position in the org, it's time to start looking.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
Hi, all!

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I’m working in financial software in UK, and have been approached by a US company to work for their London office.

Both my current company and the new company compensation package are structured with a fairly low base pay, and bonus structure of around 20-40% on top, so generally, people leave after the bonuses are paid out.

Assuming that the new company decides to grab me ASAP, and not wait for the current company to pay me my annual bonus, they may offer to buy out my bonus.

How is this typically structured? Is there an expectation here that their first offer will say “you are liable to repay the bonus if we part ways within 2 years”, and I’m expected to push back so that if they fire me or make me redundant, then I don’t have to repay it?

Are there any hidden gotchas around this that I should be aware of?

The hiring manager is US-based, so I expect this conversation, if it happens, to follow US rules and conventions.

Thanks!

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Rules are typically bound to where you physically work, not where the company is based. I can't offer much help here, but it's perfectly reasonable to have the contract language state that you don't pay back any bonus/incentive/whatever if you are terminated by the organization.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Usually there's a period of time where if you leave you have to pay a signing bonus back on a pro-rated basis. The standard is "If you are laid off you keep, if you leave or are fired for cause you pay back", the "for cause" is usually pretty tightly defined in this case (it can't be for wearing an ugly shirt, but if you stop showing up you don't get to keep the bonus). Since your in the UK this will be in your employment contract and there's boilerplate, standard language that is typically used.In my experience the company is usually pretty lenient on letting people keep bonuses unless it's like a clear scam or maliciousness. Not out of any goodness, but it's prorated and there is a significant cost clawing back. The only time I've heard of it happening was when someone ghosted like 3 weeks in.

It being a US company with a london office shouldn't meaningfully change anything around this. You may be able to negotiate the length of the period but probably won't be able to with the other terms. But do review it, if they are an outlier it may be a good place to negotiate other things to offset.

Source: I'm in senior leadership of a US financial software company and have UK employees.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i went from service economy take-it-or-gently caress-off pay, to a unionized professional job making more than my dad made right before retirement. still haven't had to actually deploy any of the advice i got reading this thread, but at least i'm not piss fuckin broke anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Cactus Ghost posted:

i went from service economy take-it-or-gently caress-off pay, to a unionized professional job making more than my dad made right before retirement. still haven't had to actually deploy any of the advice i got reading this thread, but at least i'm not piss fuckin broke anymore

Hopefully also not pissing blood.