Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
My original thread got archived :( I guess I had that coming. So here's a new and improved one! Now with a real thread tag!

:siren: Original Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606049 :siren:

I know what the 3 or so of you that follow this thread are thinking, "Holy poo poo, this project is still alive?" Well it is! Rejoice!

Following the sort of chaos and calamity that planning a wedding usually is, I did little to nothing in 2015. The warm season of 2016 is upon us and goddammit, we're gonna get this rolling again.
I had to scratch my DIY itch after neglecting it for so long, so the very first unseasonably warm day a few weeks ago, I got my rear end out there and ripped off some siding.

Day 1: I cannot explain how excited I was to find that there is practically no rot behind any of this. I lost so much time replacing everything in the back.

Day 2: I quickly tore out the window frames and added extra 2x4s to the header and footer to get the rough in right. Tacked the windows in place to secure the joint.

Day 3: I somehow convinced the missus to give me a hand for a day. She tore a ton more siding off, while I finished the window framing and added sheathing where it was needed. Again, pinned the Windows back up to secure the place. You can see exactly where the insulbrick tiles were from the tar spots around them they used to fill the gaps. I learned my lesson from last time though. Don't try to just scrape away at the stubborn tar, break out the heat gun! :science:

Day 3.5: We came back a little later, applied the house wrap over the whole drat thing and called it a day.

Day 4: I went out solo again to get the Windows put in properly. Likely won't be able to get by anytime for a while, as we have a bunch of busy weekends followed by our 2.5 week European honeymoon. (Send me your tips for traveling to London, Paris, Amsterdam and Reykjavik)

Next step is to continue horizontally to get that last part on the right, then move left (out of frame) to the door and replace that ugly bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dragyn posted:

Holy poo poo, this project is still alive?

Also, that is some old rear end wood and it must be like iron by now. How hard is it to put in a screw...

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

slap me silly posted:

Also, that is some old rear end wood and it must be like iron by now. How hard is it to put in a screw...

It's really not all that bad. The studs are tough sometimes, but the barn board takes screws easily enough. Unless you hit a knot... and there are a loving ton.

• Locked thread