Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
If there's a better thread to ask drywall questions, lmk I'll post over there

I have always used Beadex metal drywall corners for outside corners, paper for inside corners. Beadex cause it's what lowes and my local hardware store sell. I use 3m spray adhesive and then coat with mud after. I haven't ever had significant problems with a Beadex corner. Occasionally part won't stick but that's just my installation error.

Now this poo poo: Clark Dietrich corners. I bought them cause I had a big load of drywall delivered from Home Depot and it's the corners home depot sells.

See that long, vertical bubbling on the right side of the picture? That's where the paper is adhered to the metal corner at the factory. All I did was mud over it and this happened all over the dang place. The paper unstuck from the metal corner!

No big deal in terms of the end result, I'll just go back through, cut the bubbles out, and recoat. And recoat. And probably sand a bit. But dammit I don't want extra work. Drywall takes forever as is.

Is there anything I did wrong? Or are these just shittier than the ones I've gotten before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

FISHMANPET posted:

Lol new fridge got delivered today. Had to disassemble 3 doors in the house to get it in, and turns out one of the door switches is busted.

:owned:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ErikTheRed posted:

Hey mine got delivered today and I can't fit it through the door frame to my kitchen either! I pried off the casing but I'm struggling to get this "inner" door frame out as dipshit PO seems to have nailed the top piece to the sides and slid it into place. There's not enough clearance to pry the top piece clear of the sides.

https://i.imgur.com/Mymvl5h.jpg

They also tiled right up against the frame in the kitchen side so hopefully they didn't nail to far down on the sides.

lol, lmao, &c.
https://www.harborfreight.com/rotary-tool-kit-80-pc-63235.html?_br_psugg_q=rotary+tool
https://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-oscillating-multi-tool-63113.html

godspeed

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

amethystbliss posted:

I posted about this before, but our move out cleaning company flooded our bathroom in the house we rented before buying last month. They left sink plugged, water running, and left for a few hours. It was our cleaning company that we hired to go above and beyond. Now previous landlord is charging >$1k of flood damages, and the pictures of damage look legit.

If I make a claim on renters insurance to cover this incident, will that affect my home insurance premiums? I know it did at the point of application, but not sure how that works after the fact or when we get to policy renewal stage. Renters policy is with Assurant and home owners is is with Traveler but both are through Geico, if that makes a difference. I made a claim for some stolen goods in 2019. I want to recoup some costs, but also don't want to be stupid and increase my premiums for years to come.

Why did you hire the wet bandits to clean your house?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

D-Pad posted:

We have faux wood laminate flooring and have a soft/spongy spot. Moved in in August. I'm worried it might be a slow leak as it is right next to a wall that has bathroom sinks on the other side. Since we moved in the spot has gotten larger. We had a leak in another area a few months ago and those boards buckled, but these aren't and I can't detect any other signs of water. I know it could just be an uneven area of the sub-flooring but if that was the case would it be slowly expanding over the course of 3-9 months? What's the best way to determine what is going on besides ripping up that area of the floor?

IMO you're going to be ripping up the floor eventually, but you could try a moisture detector to confirm there's water before you do

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah you know it's weird, literally everyone we've seen use this mortar is like "follow the mixing instructions on the bag, don't screw with it, it's a very specific measurement for a reason" yet here we are. His dad is really confident in this eyeballed bullshit though so if it fails he can fly back up and fix it.

Jesus christ. Half assing the floor under tile, or the mortar bed, or anything just seems like such a bad idea to me. I do not want to be stuck chipping out a tile, sourcing a replacement if one cracks, and re-doing any part of a tile installation

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
eh, cut through the stud if you want. You probably have plenty more in that wall

I can't believe there's no "yolo" smiley, I was gonna end this post with one. What an oversight

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

slave to my cravings posted:

Good to know thanks. I got it from Costco so I have at least another 75 days or so to return it. Just don’t think I would be able to get a same fridge replacement from them at least because everything keeps going out of stock. I’ll wait a week to see what the options are. Why do all modern fridges suck rear end.

I second the other poster who said return it. That unit is a lemon. Good luck though, fridges are a pain in the rear end (as is living without one)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
We're doing a kitchen remodel in a few months. The kitchen floor is currently oak, as is the whole first floor. But the finish in the kitchen is trashed and I don't want to pay to refinish the wood while I still own a dog. We've got a nice tile picked out. Are we going to regret with tile for the kitchen floor? Anyone here done that and wish they hadn't? Some people say it's hard on your feet, but come on. It's waterproof! Wood isn't.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah. I'm planning on heating the tile. We have a circuit for electrical under tile heating, so I might go that route. But the house has hydronic heat and the ceiling under the kitchen floor isn't finished, so I might have that done. Depends on the cost/feasibility with everything else that is already plumbed through the laundry room ceiling

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Wallet posted:

Every single bulb in my house is 5000k. Why would I want everything I own washed in the warm glow of piss colored lighting? If your house looks industrial with neutral lights it's because you've painted and decorated it poorly.

This is a masterful troll

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

CancerCakes posted:

Imo gut it, because otherwise you will phantom smell it because you know how bad it was.

Or fabreeze it and flip the house

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Wallet posted:

The enzyme stuff for cat piss that sort of smells like bananas seemed to work okay back when I had a cat that liked to pee on things but I don't remember what it was called. I found this stuff to work alright for non cat-piss smells so maybe it would work for cat piss also?

Here's my living room in terrifying industrial 5000k. It's not really minimal and I don't think it feels like either of those things but :shrug:.

nice succulent collection!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Wallet posted:

There's a lot more of that in the Horticulture thread.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Glue a piece of 1/4" plywood to it. Stain the plywood or paint it to look nice. Screw the hat hook into the plywood.

Alternately: Drill a hole into the door. fill part of it with spray foam. Maybe that'll give the screws enough to bite into.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M

good drywall anchor video

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there any reason not to paint these exposed drain/vent pipes?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I think they're beautiful. My wife has asked me to paint the laundry room, so I'm going for an even coat where possible.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I have been doing drywall for weeks. my god. the dust. the dust

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NomNomNom posted:

Wet sand or use sander with a vacuum (with hepa filtration). Or git gud and need to sand less.

Wet sanding is really viable though with a specific wet sanding sponge, but I wouldn't want to do an entire basement or something. For spot repairs it's great.

It is a whole basement, so I'm kinda stuck there. My mudding technique is improving. I've watched a lot of "vancouver carpenter" on youtube.

I got a sander with vacuum attachment (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00097D2K4) but when I used it it sucked the sanding screen down to the wall so hard that it was leaving deep gouges in the surface, so I abandoned it wand went back to the hand sander. I even tried a really fine 180 grit sanding screen with it, so that was disappointing.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

This isn't great, and it shock your hand from the static electricity when the vacuum is hooked up (lol - I wear a rubber glove) but it's cheap and it works. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KL4N25V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a shot

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I've got a question about vinyl baseboards

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ROPPE-Dark-Gray-4-in-x-120-ft-x-0-080-in-Vinyl-Wall-Cove-Base-Coil-C40C53P150/205426735

How much wall does the baseboard need behind it? Is it ok if there's wall at the top 2 inches then a gap at the bottom?

I want to use it in my laundry room. Before I moved in the basement would flood periodically. I had a french drain installed and haven't had any incidents since then. But I don't run the drywall down to the floor just in case.

The bottom of the exterior is a little damaged from old water intrusion. So I didn't repair it all the way down to the floor:

On the wall I built I've left the drywall intentionally high off the ground in case of future flooding:

I plan to install 4 inch vinyl baseboards. As far as I can tell I just cut the product to length, apply adhesive, stick it on the wall and maybe hit it with a seam roller to press it on. I'm wondering if this will work if just the top couple inches of the product makes contact or if it needs backing all the way down. If I need something behind it I could get closed cell foam insulation and cut it to size for some backer. But I'm hoping I don't have to bother. Anyone have experience installing this stuff and/or care to hazard a guess?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NomNomNom posted:

You could use pvc trim boards instead, would cost a bit more but look nicer. Stuff is definitely waterproof.

Hadn't thought of those. I'll take a look at them

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
There is drywall sealing primer: https://www.kilz.com/primer/kilz-drywall-pva-primer

It's normal primer mixed with pva (elmers glue)

Really any good quality primer will work. But if you feel better using a specialized product, you can get the drywall primer. I usually do a coat of drywall sealing primer, a coat of normal primer, then color coat. But realistically you'll be fine with one coat of whatever primer you user.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ball Tazeman posted:

So my parents’ neighbor has a Kubota and he offered to dig up the yard for us to lay drainage tile and waterproof from the outside, then install a sump inside. My father has a lot of construction experience and did this while building the addition to my childhood home. I just wanted the threads thoughts on if this is a better way to waterproof than the 16k job the waterproofers suggested, which was jackhammering and laying drainage on the inside of the foundation. I know it will be much cheaper since we would just have to pay for the tile, rock, and various other supplies, but would it be more effective?

If we do this all my landscaping projects will be on hold until next year though :(

AFAIK a properly designed french drain outside the foundation is fine. I have an interior one but only because the basement is below grade, so exterior wasn't a possibility.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

mutata posted:

Get a hose bib-to-outlet adapter and connect them to make a hybrid system.

:science:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I need a cordless hedge trimmer on a pole. Ideally a 36 inch blade, but I know that's extreme and shorter will work with the pole. Would prefer at least 30". Eventually I might also want a cordless weed whacker, chainsaw, and leaf blower. The only battery powered tools I have are bosch 18v and there doesn't seem to be a good option so I'm looking at buying something from a different system. I notice that there's some pretty high voltage rated stuff- like, 60v and 80v available. What's good? What's worth getting?

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 9, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Final Blog Entry posted:

I've got a GE top load washer, model GTWN4250D1WS if it matters. It works well but has gotten loud as poo poo on spin cycles lately. Some light research seems to suggest it's the bearing to blame and I ought to replace that. I'm not sure how old the washer is, PO included it with the house when we bought it 3 years ago. I've watched some videos and it certainly seems DIYable, but holy poo poo you have to take the machine down to nothing to get to the bearing. My wife wants a new washer and dryer in the next few years anyways, so do I-

Fix this thing, either attempt myself or call my appliance guy?

-or-

Deal with the noise and wait for this thing to crap out and just get a new washer when it does?

In my experience it's really common to have to tear down the entire machine to do a repair. I wouldn't let that stop you. It's just kinda the nature of washers and dryers. I'd say talk to your wife, say you want to DIY it, and agree that if it fails you'll get a new set.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Finished the laundry room renovation and paint job. Thanks to NomNomNom for suggesting PVC trim boards for the baseboards, those worked great.

There's no before picture, but basically I built the wall, drywalled it, primed and painted around the hydronic system, fixed all the holes and dings in the drywall in various spots, replaced non-gfci outlets with gfci outlets, built and installed a shelf over the sink, and replaced an old light fixture with an led I had laying around.

Then for fun painted some stripes.

Tape:

And finished:

The brown and yellow are colors we have elsewhere in the house. The red and orange were picked up to complete the 70s stripe gradient

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

This isn't great, and it shock your hand from the static electricity when the vacuum is hooked up (lol - I wear a rubber glove) but it's cheap and it works. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KL4N25V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motronic, my wife said to tell you thanks for the recommendation. I just used it for the first time last night and THIS THING IS AMAZING. If you are faced with sanding drywall buy it. Absolutely worth it. I got mine direct from the wen company off ebay. It is so fast and there is so little dust.

The manual is also good for a laugh

quote:

Thanks for purchasing the WEN Drywall Sander! This handheld drywall sander is ideal for detailed sanding, givingyou greater intimacy with your drywall.

but if by "greater intimacy with your drywall" they mean effective and quick sanding with like, 1% of the normal amount of dust, then yeah it gave me greater intimacy with my drywall. The repeated static shocks are kind of disconcerting but the glove works. And jesus christ it is so much better than hand sanding, pole sanding, or using an electric sander without vacuum collection.

PainterofCrap posted:

Getting a real Magnum P.I. Vibe. Sweet!

devicenull posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome. Now you need to get a nice epoxy coated floor :)

SpartanIvy posted:

gently caress this rules

Enos Cabell posted:

Ok this kicks rear end.

Johnny Truant posted:

Echoing everybody else, that's fuckin fly and a lot of work.

Thanks for all the compliments on the stripes! It was a few hours of taping for sure. The tape was Scotch Delicate Surface Painter’s Tape 2080. The purple stuff. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPPIL0
Also one valuable trick for good tape stripes on lightly textured walls is after you put the tape up paint over the edges of the tape with your background color. This seals the edges to the wall and means that any bleed under that happens will be the background color. So when you put the color coat on it actually stays in between the lines. In my case I painted the edges with the white paint. I was really happy with the tape's performance. I didn't have any points where it pulled the paint up with it, which is pretty extraordinary in my experience.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Are you sure your house is not and has never been infested by rodents/rats? Rat poo poo in the walls can cause that if it's not sewer gas from the drains

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.hunker.com/13406100/my-basement-has-a-sweet-smell

Internet says mold. I'd moisture test and then start cutting open finished walls. Maybe wear a respirator.

But

BonoMan posted:

Did you cross through any oily barriers lately?

if this is it, gtfo asap

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah. Roof rats are real, and if there's droppings in the insulation then something was in it at some point. If you can safely get up on the roof you can find their points of ingress.

The price of replacing the insulation sounds reasonable to me, but whether it is depends on your local market.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
A brad nailer is the way to go. If you don't have an air nailer/brad nailer, then yeah, just finishing nails. You might have an issue with splitting it if you're nailing in manually.

If it starts splitting when you're nailing this page suggests pre-drilling holes for the nails or blunting the point of the nail a bit.

https://www.diychatroom.com/threads/nails-are-cracking-my-quarter-round-trim.130851/

If you give up on nailing entirely you could maybe liquid nails it instead, just wedge it in place with a dumbbell while it sets.

But you'll probably be fine, just give it a shot.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BonoMan posted:

Found it. In the master bath and was totally covered by my wife's jewelry lol (her necklaces were hanging above it on a hanger and totally obscured the outlet.) All good now thanks!

Nice!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ball Tazeman posted:

I noticed a couple months after moving in that when I would lay on the couch , I would catch a waft of…something. It smelled like an old woman’s perfume. I’ve tried forever to try and locate it and just could not, until today I sniffed he actual wall behind the couch. What the hell would that be? I’ve already painted over PO’s paint job, so I really have no idea.

If the wall smells like perfume probably the PO also had a couch there and used a perfumed hair product. They leaned back against the wall when sitting on the couch and the scent got into the drywall over time. If your paintjob didn't involve a paint or primer that blocks the scent, then you'd still smell it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
NOT THE POINT!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Johnny Truant posted:

. All installed DIY, half of them run through the AC ductwork :psyduck:

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Pestblock-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-with-Quick-Stop-Straw-99053993/207077796

They make expanding foam with anti-rodent flavoring, so grab that can if you decide to spray foam it.