Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tile talk...
So I'm looking at a home it has 9x9 asbestos tile on one room of the basement floor I'd like the room to be usable for the kids. My GF is feeekin out and wants I covered I'm less concerned as the tile is in good shape and not peeling up or cracked etc.

My thoughts
1. Expoxy floor one guy quoted me $6/sq ft due to it being pretty small area. This would still leave a pretty cold floor

2. Product like alure floating vinyl tile.

For option 2 I can't remember if it's I'll advised to put over an underlayment so that the floor has a barrier, as well as maybe not have the floors be a cold concrete/epoxy floor. I think allure with underlayment is probably going to be somewhere around ,$5/sq ft.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gocha..then +1 for epoxy. I wasn't sure if it'd be cold like concrete or not.

Waiting on them to respond on our other inspection items. Back from them. We want the asbestos tape that's on the furnace exhaust removed and a few other spots removed / encapsulated, because plan is to remove the inefficient oil>natural gas furnace replaced before we get in there.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah they are small areas that don't require the whole house and all that jazz.

We're asking do it to be properly abated with an actual company or sellers consessions. Quotes are 1500 and 3000 the 3000 company seems like a money grab and wants $500 just to look. The 1500 company said they'd not even try to remove the tape they would just remove the entire section which I'm good with since. A new furnace / ac is happening.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Company 2 said judging by pictures it would be $~2800... But won't give a full estimate unless we pay a $500 inspection fee which was included in the 2800 picture only quote.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hubis posted:

If you go with the epoxy, please write a note somewhere near the water heater / furnace / breaker box that says "Asbestos tile sealed under epoxy". God forbid you or someone down the road someday wants to do something like drainage repair and starts jackhammering.

It's in the 'rec room& side of the basement, there are no utilities there. It makes me wonder what happened when someone removed some of the tile for the sump.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd recommend an actual vac and then like a cheap shark stick (often can be found arou d 100 on Groupon) for quick cleanups

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

canisters are terrible, I hate mine, i bough a stick vac to avoid having to drag it out

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd totally go for a central vac, but sadly I have 2 floors.. I guess I could um.. snake it up the laundry chute and get some long rear end hoses.

Maybe this is a call for the electric thread but is there a big no-no for disabling a laundry chute and using it for a power run. I think it'd be an ideal location to box out and stick a wifi mesh / zwave extender.

This would not meet code requirements of stapling the wire as I couldn't really acess it to support it.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 10, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is Ethernet going to be able to Power a WiFi AP?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cool once I"m in the house and get some minor repairs done I'll look into doing some networking. Since it's a 2 story I'm going to imagine I need a mesh or something of the like to make my life not stupid. I have a net-gear wall wart wifi repeater but it's stupid and loses connection quite often which in turn makes my google need to be reset.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Please pay me to work on my house.

Related my buddy for some reason wants these stained glass windows which follow a pitch I a roof and fit a verrry spesific space.. well they're not down. If he wants them he needs to pay for right to pay a contractor to pull them out.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think my area's code is Detector within 10 ft of bedrooms.. so that's why you need 2 since you've got that layout it might be required to be closer to that orphan room.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sup covid home repair buddy...

HVAC guy is here getting rid of the 62 year old furnace form the house I just bought. Have had the furnace off since day 1 of ownership since it's got no safety for the pilot so if it's out it'll just pump gas into the house for ? days until I came back to drop off more boxes. It's exciting to finally get something moving so I can move in at some point!!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wooger posted:

I don’t understand how people live in these houses before they’re sold. Ignorance, or old age death wish, or...?

I bought a Victorian terrace in the UK last year, which cane with two gas fires, both with “condemned” stickers and slight singe-marks around them.

But both still connected to the mains gas supply.

1 owner home (well 2 the daughter 'bought' it for a dollar in like 2006 but we all know that was to avoid medicade. So they became an old person in that house. The furnace worked it's very simple: air blower Gas line and solenoid, there's nothing that could die in it barely any electronics just a flame sensor and uhh um probably that's it. Sure it was blowing .40-.50 of every cent out the chimney sure it's as big as a stand-up deep freezer But when you lived with it forever why not keep living with it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The third half of people

We'll axually it'd a warning drawer to keep food warm it's not a drawer for your poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SEER is the energy efficiency rating 13/14 seems to be the sweet spot unless you're paying a lot for electricity or are running it almost all year long, you may or may not get the ROI on the increased cost. That sounds like a shitton but no don't know your market. Most of the quotes I got for a single 2 ton at 13/14 were in the 4k range, but you'd also need to do an air handler as well. In my area I got a furnace and AC fully replaced with. 2 new lines of duct work and a main trunk replacement for 8k. Call around for costs and ask if the cost changes based on financing (one place hid 15% interest into the purchase price for 72 month financing when I said I would only need 12-18mos it was a lot lower price)

Brand doesn't matter as much as warranty and install. Lennox is kind of poo poo though from my research.

There is a stickied HVAC thread in diy.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 25, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the hardwood floors in my house were "refinished" by the PO.. they looked okayish when we walked through the house.. but it now appears someone just bought some minwax poly and rolled it onto the floors or something.. a lot of spots after putting furniture in even with furniture pads have delaminated from the floor. Eventually I'll refinish or have someone refinish them. for now they work but not the greatest.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Wasn't the coloring to indicate that it wasn't being used for automotive/ICEs and thus not taxed or taxed in a certain way? Kind of like farm diesel?

Kerosene is possibly what you are thinking of.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Yeah, unfortunately my place doesn't have a vent to the outside, so you'd have to put in a recirculating vent. I've heard those aren't so great, and you need to replace the charcoal filter often. Has anyone used one? Also I don't really have a good spot for a separate microwave, so I'll be sticking with the microwave above the oven when I replace them.

I have a vent outside and had a recirc vent I just pulled it down kuz they are useless. I will at some point re-connect one to the outside when I get proper cabinetry up there, the cabinet they had was too long so I had less than 2ft of cooking space and the cabinet I moved from the other side of the wall wasn't wide enough. I'll get to it at some point but theres so much other poo poo i need to sperg about it's low on the list.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My Best fire pit was a washing machine drum I drilled some holes into the bottom of and then stuck to some of those metal fence posts for chicken wire fence. I wish I still had it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've installed the Tile looking "Grip Strip" Traffic master actual vinyl stuff that home depot sells, they do have mutliple wood selections as well, not sure if it works for the look you're going for though. I have $500 worth of the wood looking stuff sitting in my basement while I wait empty out and clean up the room I'll be doing it in (We just moved)
I like the grip strip because it's self-adhesive but also floating. It's easyish to cut with a knife and straight edge (I've also used tin snips). And it's pretty cheap at 1.88 a SQft a case is 40ish bucsk and gets you 24sqft. My parents had in their kitchen for years without issues and 2 houses ago I had it for about 2 years with no issues.

This stuff
https://www.homedepot.com/s/grip%2520strip%2520flooring?NCNI-5

For the clicking / tongue and groove plank stuff my advice is watch out for the cheap poo poo, check the reviews for people complaining that the tabs are easy to break as you'll have tons of wastage, also make sure you have a nice good fine tooth saw so you're not chipping it when cutting.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 19, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

good luck goon repairing texture to look dead on at all lighting is more painful than new drywall I feel.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A foot of mulch is stupidity. It's cyoa in case a kid falls and gets hurt. A foot of mulch? Contemplate that.. have you ever been to any playground anywhere that you have 12" of mulch to dig to before you hit dirt.

Just toss a few inches down over some fabric and call it a day. Or let your kids hit the ground they should be fine.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow lots of buffalo area goons in here.

Also wanted to mention that I'm also a dad of 3 and have not out down a padding layer of mulch. Again not saying you shouldn't but it seems like it's Overkill like you'd need to dig down or builder a big box for that 12" isn't just going to lay there

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nest doesn't need a c wire I don't think

I have a Honeywell T9 (they has a c wire adapter in the box) that I like because of the extra sensors (when my kids are here I have it prioritize upstairs) when they aren't I have it prioritize the master bedroom. Plus my thermostat is in the dining room facing a big rear end picture window so I just tell it to ignore the actual thermostats temps at all times.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

With varying levels of success.

If the system runs enough it can stay charged. If the system doesn't freak out at the power thief mode it can stay charged, but this is far from a given. Otherwise you're taking it off the wall and charging it via USB.

Yeah I guess I needed a * there

Fallom posted:

I have a 2-wire boiler from I think 2009 and it’s been working great with my Nest. I had to give the battery an initial charge but after that it’s managed to stay topped up for 3 years.

I actually called an HVAC guy out to look into adding a common wire and he just scratched his head for a while and said he couldn’t figure it out. So much for upgrading to an Ecobee.

You have options but they're a pain in the dick.

https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/227874667-Heat-only-2-wire-boiler-furnace-installations

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

what's the best type of sandpaper to get rid of this excess orange peel I applied to the wall?

holy hell I wish I could just get rid of this texture altogether, but that would mean having the entire place repainted

you have textured walls accept that any repair is going to look like rear end..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

Refer to my "it's literally easier and cheaper to re-rock" statement.

A lot of people have just chucked 1/4" drywall up over their nasty walls, whether it be from texture or whatever, to cover the sins and make it look decent again.

Or you could be like my house and Chuck nasty walls over 1/4 sheetrock. While removing an unused and dangerous wall furnace (3 cracks in the exchanger) I learned our paneling is over 1/4 Sheetrock

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

daslog posted:

There doesn't seem to be a way to attach that cover to the metal box.

Does that Plastic trim bit come off the top because that's where the screw holes would be, should screw into the box where those little tabs are with threaded holes

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that you don't want to apply steam to hardwood floors. Maybe as a one time thing but over time isn't hot water going to be bad.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pretty sure the permit is required

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hed posted:

Just to follow up to this I did get approval and picked up my permits today. Which is good since I have a delivery window of this afternoon for all the lumber for my framing :)

I dunno what my town requirements are but I'm going to frame out where my sump pump is in my basement at some point and I'm not going to permit it but really no electric is happening just some framing and panel / drywall and a doorway so it's a bit out of the way

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I put these LED lights in my closet that had little to no light from hallway and they worked okay.. they might be enough for your use. They stay charged for quite some time.. like once every 2-3 months I'd just cycle em all on a USB charger and never really had an issue..

https://amzn.to/3hytmm2

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The whole store.. you can never tell what you'll need till you start projects.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SourKraut posted:

What's the general thoughts on self installation of gutters versus getting someone to do them? I'd like to get gutters installed on my house, and I had gotten a quote previously, but I've been thinking lately that I could probably buy all the parts needed at Home Depot or Lowes, and then simply stringline the slope to make sure I get good drainage.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard; originally when I had gotten a quote, it was because I wanted to try and match my fascia to meet HOA painting requirements, but it sounds like I'd have to paint it regardless, and the company doing the gutters said they don't paint them, so it seems like I could install and paint at the same time.

How complicated is your roofline and do you want seemless? That will estimate how hard it'll be. I did 2 ~20ft sections of my garage. It was about $200 for all the bits and pieces. And wasn't super complicated.. I do need to go back over a seam at the end because I didn't calk it well

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Sorry to distract from Vermont House chat. Quick note though: Heady Topper is from Stowe. It's not my favorite IPA, and I'd consider it overrated at this point, but it's unlikely you'll ever be upset to crack one of those open. My wife's cousin lives in Vermont and I ask her to bring me some every time she comes down.

I'm in Buffalo, so our flora is robust and verdant for the most part. I'm also adverse to hiring regular gardeners. Feels sort of like a loss of equity, in the same way renting is, if that makes sense? Like, rather than pay gardeners, I'd rather convert the lawn/garden to something low maintenance I can handle on my own. Also, point taken from a few of you about the glyphosate. I've never known anything about it other than "there's stuff called roundup, and it kills things"

I'm softening on it not needing to be turf, just so long as it's something that won't develop a mountain of weeds when I turn around.

How about this for a containment strategy?
-Cut down all the growth with a brush cutter
-Till soil with rented machine
-Lay down landscape fabric over the soil
-Cover fabric with mulch

I'll end up with a fresh mulch bed instead of what I've got now, and I can go back and plant whatever as I see fit. Would this strategy prevent weeds from growing in those areas?

sup buffalo goon.
Using some fabric and mulch will help lower your weeding. I have a garden that's got just a healthy layer of mulch and it really doesn't need much weeding. It's not much of a garden since I bought house in april and it was what it was but lots of mulch to prevent stuff from poking through, and fabric will help as well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

corgski posted:

A neat bit of trivia is that Armstrong is making the same pattern today, albeit not in the same colorway.

https://retrorenovation.com/2020/03...ater-this-year/

I was excited I thought ti was the one with teh ships n poo poo in it.. that's a cool floor.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Based on some of that story, I think I disagree with this approach. There are types of people out there that just keep pushing if they think they can get one over on you (like a toddler.) The only way to stop the barrage and escalation is to be firm and resolute in your application of the word "NO" when you are in the right.

There's risk to the "NO" approach if the person is truly psychotic and wants to win at any cost, but most of the time, once they realize you won't deal with their BS, they'll find another pushover to annoy.

I had a lovely neighbor so I made sure to follow all rules and regulations. It was weird they could mow the lawn on saturday at 7am next to my bedroom window, but if I played music so I could hear it in the shower at 1030 AM this was a nussiance.
Also they were very particular about us not mowing THEIR property (you know that strip of land on the neighboring lot so your neighbor cant put a fence right up against your driveway). This would also cause issues because of grass blown onto their driveway which was just plain uncalled for.

So we got the ugliest possible way to divide the property line to ensure we didn't mow HER prescious grass. We always mowed to make sure that we'd blow grass from the chute towards their property, and really made sure to take a few days in-between her mowing to us mowing.. Wintertime came and we would make 100% certain to run the snowblower exactly up to our property line the other direction neighbors like 5 houses down would get their sidewalk cleared.

Also the street wasn't a football stadium for teenaged boys to play football in mid-day and make noise especially when our friends grandma lived nextdoor on the other side so we had 2 lawns to football in!

God I remember how much we hated our lovely neighbors but they were so much fun to gently caress with sometimes you have to smile and nod and follow all the rules.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

One should not burn construction debris in you are house

Outdoor ones don't have the potential to fill your enclosed living space with toxic offgassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

to get the rebate for a thermostat of like 100 bux I needed it installed by a freekin contractor. I did find my other power company (for apartment while I had it for a month after closing on home) just gave me 100 bux off a thermostat so I did that.

I get that they want it actually installed so folks aren't getting a rebate by buying it at home depot then returning it, but for a thermostat it's basically a wash for installation.