Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Southern Heel posted:

I thought about cardboard but it seems that no matter where I ask, there's almost nowhere that keeps their boxes for the public anymore...

If you're just looking for cardboard, check a moving supply store / truck rental place like a U-Haul. Those places have boxes for sale that you can cut up.

Or, for maximum comedy, post offices generally have free flat-rate boxes that you can take home and use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah, asbestos shouldn't be hosed with by a general contractor/inspector. Their involvement should be limited to "oh, that's asbestos" and then an Actual Asbestos Company/Inspector gets involved.

In the case of my house, the asbestos removal company did a removal of exposed broken tiles above my air exchanger, but then did the paint-like encapsulation of a partial tile that was sticking to a stud, still buried in the ceiling and fully intact. You want an actual abatement company making that potential decision and doing the work versus "this is an encapsulation spray paint, job done".

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Shifty Pony posted:

They really worked hard to come up with the dumbest possible ways to use asbestos didn't they?

Asbestos is a wonder material. Unfortunately, it kills us.

We didn't quite know that second part until we put asbestos in drat near everything because it's strong, cheap, light, and resistant. Too bad it's deadly.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

StormDrain posted:

Never trust an existing stop valve.

Never trust an existing stop valve, have a cheap set of 100 varying-size washers to fix it when you inevitably have to turn off the main water supply, and change out the stop valve if it's fully hosed. Chances are that "the next guy" that will have to deal with it is going to be you anyways!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
My house came with the Gutter Hood system, which was absolutely awful. The gap between the hood and the gutter was just big enough that birds would fly in to build sheltered nests that I'd have to pull out with weird ladder angles. If I didn't pull the nests out, baby birds would likely die in the next big rainstorm.

So when I had the gutters replaced, I got the metal screen type like the Costco version and haven't had a problem since. My house has a gigantic spruce tree in the front, so every now and then I have to take a brush-on-a-pole and clear any of the needle clumps. The water that gets blocked by the clumps was going to zoom off the roof and miss the gutter to begin with, so A+++ would spend thousands for screens again.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

KoRMaK posted:

i have a light switch that has started to cause my lights to flicker. the switch controls the basement lights, there's a switch at the top of the stairs and another at the bottom. the one at the top i think is the problem, flip the switch to on, and the lights don't turn on right away, after a few seconds they will start to flicker then turn on. i sometimes hear a slight sizzling sound from the switch

how the hell do i fix this?

So there are usually far better electrical experts around here, but it sounds to me like for starters, you have a three-way switch that's hosed, or the connections to said switch are hosed. Don't let the name fool you, a three-way switch is basically just a weird name for a setup where lights are switched on/off in either of two places/switches.

Here's a This Old House video about the subject, though there are tons on YouTube about what sounds like your issue: https://youtu.be/P0tA45TEfqE

There's also a very good electrical thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739&pagenumber=456&perpage=40

First step is to probably turn off the circuit breaker, remove the switch plate, and pull out the switch. See if your wiring matches one of the videos and if it does, just find a replacement three-way switch from any store and swap it. They're cheap. Since it sounds like your current switch *may* be arcing, you probably want to re-strip the wire connections that will go to your new switch. And if the wires look odd, take pictures of the switch out and post them.

Edit: swapped "receptacle" for "switch" because I'm stupid

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 21, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

This one reminds me of one of the findings in my basement, the best "you tried" of all the wiring connections I found:

But my funniest find in my 50s house happened when I pulled out a 3-pronged receptacle (missing the ground of course) and found THE CLAW

When I peeled back whatever the hell that plasterized tape was, it seemed like there was a prehistoric metal pigtail in the middle. So, that whole loving run was basically live, only protected by that castified tape older than I am. Pretty sure the previous homeowner had a computer plugged into there.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

kreeningsons posted:

Congrats on unlocking your new genre of nightmares! Have a good night’s sleep!

My brother's house has side-by-side sinks that were plumbed with PEX-Gary. The PEX comes in under the right sink and feeds both sinks through a weird fitting contraption. Three weeks ago, one of the fittings past a functional shutoff valve (!) had popped a leak, leading to this exchange at the local high-knowledge hardware store:

Me: K so I'm unfamiliar with PEX, but I know this isn't right, here is the fitting I need replaced *hands over fitting* and here's a picture of the situation
Guy 1: What in the hell?
Me: I know, right?
Guy 1: I think you need to cut all that poo poo out and redo it with proper fittings, but let me check with Guy 2.
Me: *repeats with Guy 2*
Guy 2: ... What in the gently caress is that poo poo?
Me: I KNOW RIGHT

So I finish everything and fix other small leaks at crimps that were loose (gently caress Gary), I leak-check this poo poo for like 15 minutes in every possible permutation because I'm paranoid.

The kicker is I get a call yesterday, with pictures of a clear leak from below the other sink I didn't work on. Source was right under the faucet where the PEX line feeds it... via a sharkbite faucet connector. Gary never sleeps.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

H110Hawk posted:

What in the hell indeed - where is this picture?!

Fair!

For whatever reason, Gary decided he didn't like angle stops and the first fitting past the shutoff basically had a crack-leak.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Qwijib0 posted:

A big enough TV hides a lot of crimes

I have a similar crime:

I was trying to route the TV power and in-wall HDMI/digital audio cords through the wall and the stud finder missed that there was conduit feeding coax to the upper floor and a random sideways stud (damage preexisting). Proper electical box wouldn't fit, so Gary's crime was covered up with a two-gang low voltage box and a blank plate.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

VelociBacon posted:

Ryobi gets the 'homeowner' label and I would expect them to come in cheaper than pretty much any other big brand, but they do have some cool stuff. I'm in the dewalt ecosystem already but I wish they made a portable soldering station like Ryobi does. Ryobi also throws so much money/gear at youtubers, I dunno how I feel about that but generally pretty negative - a good tool system should stand on it's own and be spread by word of mouth (you don't see Hilti sponsoring many influencers). For 99% of what you're going to do in your home, homeowner grade equipment is completely fine and my dewalt poo poo is probably not much better if at all. I'd go for it!

For infrequent DIY-ers, Ryobi really is the way to go. I started getting extremely frustrated that I'd have my tools at home (Dewalt) and I wouldn't bring enough when working on unplanned fixes at my mom's house or dad's house. $100 per tool to keep extra tools at their houses is too much, but:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-6-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-1-5-Ah-Battery-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-PCL1600K2/317987591

$200 and some bits and such basically gets you everything you need to reliably do everything every once in a while. Ryobi's one of the best at providing a set of everything at a low price, while keeping the everything above Harbor Freight one-time use quality. So the answer to "I need a good impact driver" might not be Ryobi, but if that question also includes "... and a lot of other stuff I don't have any tools what is a tool please help my family is dying", Ryobi's a good answer. I still prefer my own stuff, but having reliable Ryobi stuff everywhere is really helpful.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A lot starts to make sense about running plumbing once you realize that it mostly involves drawing/connecting lines behind walls and under floors.

If the corpse processing room needs draining, you're drawing a line to an existing drain, so you're likely loving up the floor and a wall or two to run those lines. Might be the same deal for water, but more places you can tap into.

But don't overlook electrical either. If your mincer needs electric power to operate, and the nearest receptacle isn't near the processing sink, it would be a good time to run a new receptacle. Just remember that the receptacle should be a GFCI due to the wet environment, you don't want the blood and goo to electrocute you. And you don't want to be running the mincer permanently on an extension cord, that's just unsafe.