Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

Warner Bros' failure with Batman v Superman is all the more embarrassing now that Marvel Studios has put out a movie about superheroes fighting each other over accountability that does the job far, far better. This movie is every bit as good as Winter Soldier, perhaps even better. In fact, this could be the strongest movie in the MCU. The only complaint I have with this movie is that Spider-Man is entirely superfluous in this movie and could have been painlessly removed from the script. But he's enjoyable even if unnecessary, and feels less awkward than Wonder Woman in BvS.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

i heard ant-man jumps up tony starks dickhole and punches his prostate to death should be good

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Does Tony show any remorse or guilt about the fact he has literally employed child soldiers in his Civil War?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tiberius Christ posted:

i heard ant-man jumps up tony starks dickhole and punches his prostate to death should be good

I don't think that will happen.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kurzon posted:

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

Warner Bros' failure with Batman v Superman is all the more embarrassing now that Marvel Studios has put out a movie about superheroes fighting each other over accountability that does the job far, far better. The only complaint I have with this movie is that Spider-Man is entirely superfluous in this movie and could have been painless removed from the script.
Probably as a fall back if the Sony deal ever fell through :v:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is the rest of the world getting this movie a week before the US?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Why is the rest of the world getting this movie a week before the US?

The US doesn't pirate as much as everyone else.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shameful.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

The US doesn't pirate as much as everyone else.

So is the thinking that by delaying theatrical U.S. releases of highly anticipated films until a week after everyone has seen it they can boost those piracy numbers over time?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LGD posted:

So is the thinking that by delaying theatrical U.S. releases of highly anticipated films until a week after everyone has seen it they can boost those piracy numbers over time?

The thinking is that if you open it legitimately in those piracy-heavy countries first, you can get their money and still get about the same amount of money from the US.

This is not a new idea.

quote:

At the time, American law offered no copyright protection to foreigners. After their previous opera, H.M.S. Pinafore, achieved success in London in 1878, approximately 150 American companies quickly mounted unauthorised productions, often taking considerable liberties with the text and paying no royalties to the creators.[3][4][5] Gilbert and Sullivan hoped to forestall further "copyright piracy" by mounting the first production of their next opera in America, before others could copy it, and by delaying publication of the score and libretto.[6]

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

The thinking is that if you open it legitimately in those piracy-heavy countries first, you can get their money and still get about the same amount of money from the US.

This is not a new idea.

:ssh: it wasn't a serious question

though I did not know about the Gilbert and Sullivan thing, that's pretty neat

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Warner Bros' failure with Batman v Superman is all the more embarrassing now that Marvel Studios has put out a movie about superheroes fighting each other over accountability that does the job far, far better.

Woah, shots fired.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm betting that the movie ends with the truth being... somewhere in the middle.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope the movie ends with a dead captian america.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cross-post

Hakkesshu posted:

Civil War was so loving good, holy poo poo. It was a really well-executed blend of the emotion and action of Winter Soldier with the superhero spectacle of Avengers. Everyone got a chance to shine, and there was so much energy on display from the whole cast. The issues I have with it are mostly minor, the core of the film is just so solid and everything works with a level of focus that is seriously impressive. It never gets bogged down or boring, it's feels extremely cohesive despite the huge cast, and despite how many goddamn tangents and subplots they are building, it all comes together in an extremely satisfying way. The movie intertwines the Avengers and Cap stories in a very compelling fashion, making it both about Cap and Bucky's relationship as well as Tony's responsibility to the team and the weight of his ego. I'm still pretty high after seeing it, but I'll at least say it carries the momentum from Winter Soldier extremely well and blows Age of Ultron out of the water.

I'll keep the finer points vague for now.

-T'challa is so loving awesome, goddamn. Chadwick Boseman steals every scene he's in and they pretty much could not have set up his character in a better way.
-Vision gets several really good scenes here, if you liked what little we saw of him in Ultron, they take that to the next level. I had almost even forgotten he was in the movie, but he's one of the best parts.
-Spider-Man is also just extremely funny and brings a lot of vibrancy to the movie. He really shines in the big airport action scene, which, just lol at all the people who dismissed that based on the setting. It's an incredible scene, and I can't wait to see more of him.
-Zemo is maybe the weakest point. Although it may not seem it for the majority of the film, his role ends up being justified with the themes of the film, but he's just not that interesting as an actor, he can't hang with everyone else.
-(scene spoiler, not plot relevant, but a cool moment) HOLY gently caress if you thought the deaging CGI they used on Michael Douglas in Ant-Man looked good, young RDJ blew me the gently caress away, they completely jumped over the uncanny valley here, it's unreal.

It was awesome, I loved it. I don't want to do the whole BvS comparison thing, because they're going for very different things, but just in an abstract sense, as a superhero film, Civil War tries to cram in as many different things as that film did, but in my opinion it all works where that film very much did not.

P.S. *the movie has an after credits scene*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh my, an MCU villain is the weakest part of the film. Who could have guessed that?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Also Daniel Bruhl is real drat good so I figure if he's the weak point in an otherwise dope cast, it's probably due to miscasting and/or not being given much to work with, as opposed to not being able to hang

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hah, yeah, there's no way Daniel Bruhl is the problem.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 27, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

Oh my, an MCU villain is the weakest part of the film. Who could have guessed that?

The movie doesn't really have a villain per se, at least not in the same sense as most other superhero films. He's the motivating factor, but he ends up being more of a symbol of the themes of the film rather than a proper antagonist.

Jenny Angel posted:

Also Daniel Bruhl is real drat good so I figure if he's the weak point in an otherwise dope cast, it's probably due to miscasting and/or not being given much to work with, as opposed to not being able to hang

He gets enough to work with and the final moments with him are very good, but at that point I cared more about other things that were going on concurrently. It's not really a big problem, but it's worth noting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hakkesshu posted:

The movie doesn't really have a villain per se, at least not in the same sense as most other superhero films. He's the motivating factor, but he ends up being more of a symbol of the themes of the film rather than a proper antagonist.

Yeah looking at the Wikipedia summary he's a dude who's just really mad that his country got blown up. Though I will say ending the film with the Avengers actually broken up is a novel step. It doesn't hurt that none of the major players (as in, those established pre-Civil War) are having their own movies before Infinity War though. Except Thor, who's doing his own thing and isn't in this movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How much America is there?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

computer parts posted:

Yeah looking at the Wikipedia summary he's a dude who's just really mad that his country got blown up. Though I will say ending the film with the Avengers actually broken up is a novel step. It doesn't hurt that none of the major players (as in, those established pre-Civil War) are having their own movies before Infinity War though. Except Thor, who's doing his own thing and isn't in this movie.

The ending would have carried more weight if they didn't immediately set up a way for the Avengers to get back together

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hold on now, let's hear him out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Hold on now, let's hear him out.

I seriously doubt Ant-Man will be giving people prostate orgasms, success of Deadpool be damned.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I seriously doubt Ant-Man will be giving people prostate orgasms, success of Deadpool be damned.

I'm sure it's just silly RDJ faces that strongly imply his suit needs to be cleaned now.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Man, there's something great about the fact that every single good thing people say about this makes me not want to see it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Civil War was so loving good, holy poo poo. It was a really well-executed blend of the emotion and action of Winter Soldier with the superhero spectacle of Avengers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hellbunny posted:

Man, there's something great about the fact that every single good thing people say about this makes me not want to see it.

sounds like you should probably not see it

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
It's a pretty loving solid film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Winter Soldier and both Avengers movies owned for totally different reasons, so I am pretty psyched, assuming I'm not being lied to by a noble goon.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hakkesshu posted:

I had almost even forgotten he was in the movie, but he's one of the best parts

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Good to see we have someone to take Baron Bifford's job of making every MCU thread like they're doing Disney's marketing department's job

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The CGI model that plays Black Panther did some really cool stunt work, and the CGI model that plays Spider-Man got some fantastic moments as well.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Ant-Man is literally pushed out of Iron Man's body by sticky white goo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This thread is gonna be cool as gently caress already I can tell.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

With an OP like that this thread can't fail to own.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Everything I'm hearing about this movie indicates that it's so safe and consequence-free it's essentially a parody of itself.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Clearly people liking this thing I haven't seen are stupider than I am. Also that one bit of action in the trailer looked unfinished so I'm sure the entire run-time of the movie is like that.

Now let me declare victory on the internet because some off-the-cuff post someone made right after seeing the movie doesn't read like a C- paper somebody wrote for a freshman philosophy class.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Good thing literally nobody's done that in this thread. Maybe you should go into the threads where you think that has happened and complain about it there?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

sean10mm posted:

Clearly people liking this thing I haven't seen are stupider than I am. Also that one bit of action in the trailer looked unfinished so I'm sure the entire run-time of the movie is like that.

Actually that bit in the airport fight where they're about to do the X-Men 93 opening credits has some iffy compositing issues in the film as well, and it's the only place I noticed them. It looks like they rushed it for trailers and then forgot and/or ran out of time and budget to go back and do a final pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tiberius Christ posted:

I thought Captain America was created in World War II, not the Civil War. Is this a time travel movie?

• Locked thread