Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Murphy beds are pricey. I ended up getting a hardware kit from rockler and building one. It wasn't too awful, so if you have access to a table saw and want a project, you can also go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Maggie Fletcher posted:

That sounds like a lot of fun, and I love building stuff, but I don't feel confident that my handiwork can support an actual person, nor keep from falling down. My handiness tends to end around carving spoons and hanging up poo poo.

If you wouldn't mind posting a photo, I'd love to see yours!

Maple plywood, 3 coats of wipe-on poly.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Guy Axlerod posted:

Any suggestions on where I can get some sconces and ceiling lights? I'm mostly interested in finding a couple brands that will have something well-built. I've found a couple that have entire catalogs that belong in the lobby of a hotel/office building. I also am not interested in "old timey candle holder". I'm still looking for what I do want.

I've bought from https://www.lumens.com/ several times, usually from the clearance/sale bin because as mentioned before, if you care about how the fixture looks, you're gonna pay for it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hawkeye posted:

We are fielding quotes for a mini split system to replace our baseboard heat (plus get cooling). Our electricity costs this winter sucked.

3 vendors have quoted us for an outdoor Mitsubishi 36k BTU system and two vendors have it set up so with a 4 zone system we are at exactly 36k indoor heads (15/9/6/6). One vendor has it having 39k worth of indoor units (15/9/9/6) and claims that the outdoor 36k unit actually has capacity for 46k so wanted to boost up one of the units.

Anyone have familiarity enough with Mitsubishi mini splits to know if this is true? The vendor saying that is the rep I liked the most and they have the longest lead time suggesting folks like to use them, but I wonder if I should ask to go 15/9/6/6 instead or if they are right or if this means something like don’t trust them with the job because they are overloading the system. Surprisingly they are the cheapest by around $1-2k.

The heating BTUs on a minisplit are usually higher than the cooling BTUs, I looked up a random 36K Mitsubishi and it was listed as 45K heat so that vendor is probably correct. If you are primary heating, being slightly undersized for cooling is not an issue because the odds of all the zones calling for max cool at the same time is extremely unlikely.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sundae posted:

I went to change out some dead/dying lightbulbs in my bathroom and discovered that they are GX24Q-3 sockets. For reference:

I can get those bulbs (and thankfully the previous owners left behind a large stash of them too), but I'm curious why these fuckers even exist. What's the point of this type of connector, when other CFLs with standard bases already exist? Why even install this type of socket?

Edit: It's just in the bathroom, too. The rest of the house is standard bulbs.

The ballast is in the fixture not the bulb, those predate miniaturization of electronic ballasts that can go in the base of a screw in, and the fixtures themselves were likely an energy efficiency requirement since bathroom lights are the most likely to be left on

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to re-piping my pool pad so that I could re-orient the chlorine generator to where the flow switch wouldn't be activated by gravity. It was all going swimmingly :haw: until I forgot to leave the ring on the union going into the filter when I glued it, and it couldn't slip over the 45. The union set was $30 at amazon, how much could it be at the local pool store? $110 :negative:

I hate plumbing.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Queen Victorian posted:

:aaaaa: Why have I never heard of this option before?? If we could pull this off, it would be ideal. There's even a fancy Victorian brass option for the little vent openings! Yeah with three stories this would most certainly be preferable to a mini split - with that we were looking at probably two, one each for the second and third floor (first floor stays quite pleasant for the most part). Other issues with the mini split are the large and unsightly (for our house) wall units and more crap to tack onto the side of the house (to go along with the conduits and tangles of old coax). Like I was seriously pondering the feasibility of getting a carpenter to make nice retractable covers for the interior units so they'd vibe with the house better.

I wouldn't mind the extra expense for a true central air option that actually covers the whole house and doesn't have the downside of adding bulky units. We need to poke a bunch of holes in the walls and poo poo anyway to redo all the wiring, so I'll see if it'd be possible to make those two things happen at/around the same time so we only have to call the plaster guy once.

seems like someone had clearly not been watching this old house in the 95-2005 stretch when it seemed like every house got the Unico treatment. It really is neat.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Well poo poo, I'm going to have to agree with Queen Victorian in wondering why I never even heard of this before. It certainly would have helped with that entire rodents living in my crawlspace ducts during the winter thing I had going on. This has to be some kind niche thing, right? Like I've never seen or heard of it before and no HVAC person brought it up with me when I was searching last year.

It's pricey, and so is used only where traditional ducting is impractical, and with the advent of minisplits, the market is reduced to retrofits where aesthetics are preferred over cost.

Someone has helpfully put the price list online

https://bucherep.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2020-Unico-Price-Book.pdf

A complete indoor air handler with refrigerant coil looks to be between $4000-$5000 depending on whether you want single speed or ECM, add in $2500 or so for an outdoor unit and you're at $7500 with no ducting or labor.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
3 wires to a fan box are 99% of the time two hots and a neutral so you can switch the fan and light independently. You connected a hot to ground. Call a professional at this point, please.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think this thread is pretty good about helping people learn, and nobody is saying "don't learn", bit the bit-too-care-free attitude is what prompted me to jump to "hire someone".

If inner light wants to get a multimeter and start doing things slow and methodical, I'm sure many of us here are happy to answer questions. gently caress around and find out isn't really an ideal learning method with house wiring.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

unknown posted:

Of note, drought resistant grass is actually pretty good as it generally has much deeper roots than normal grass and crowds out weeds once established - but it's also slow growing so that's a pain too.

If you're in the right zones, UC Verde Buffalograss is a winner. It takes about a full year to re-establish itself during which you've got to take care to weed it and keep the top of the soil moist as the runners spread out and root, but when it's a full carpet the thatch is thick enough to prevent most weeds. It also doesn't grow longer than 5 or so inches, so if you like the wavy prairie look, it's basically maintenance free. I've had to establish mine twice-- I had to move the lawn for some hardscaping work-- and I love the look

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
more grasschat

here's a closeup of the prairieness of it-- this section is just over a year established:

and I am expanding my grass area, so here's after about 6 weeks of establishing, and you can see how thick it gets at the edge of the other established area.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
one of the best couple hours you can spend as a homeowner is to build that spreadsheet then tape it to the panel.

pre:
Room		Device			Circuit
Mech Closet	Sub Panel		C6-7
Kitchen		Sub Panel		C10-11
Kitchen		Dishwasher		C12
Kitchen		Garbage Disposal	C12
Kitchen		Outlet - South		C13
Kitchen		Outlets - East		C13
Outdoor		AC Condenser		C8-9
Master Bath	Outlets - All		F1
Carport		Light - Kitchen Door	F2
Dining Room	Light			F2
Guest Bedroom	Outlet - East		F2
etc
And yes my carport, dining room, and guest room share a single fuse, hashtag old house lyfe

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Have you sat in one to know if it's going to be right for you? There are a number of Very Good chairs that are not "Aeron" so the used market tends to be less bad. Off the top of my head Herman miller has the embody now, and Steelcase has the leap. I am a big fan of my leap, and they seem to be more common on the used market in the $300-$400 range.

If you want the look of an Aeron, then obviously only an Aeron will do.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Upgrade posted:

What’s a typical cost to switch from a gas tank to gas tankless?

With the caveats that this was almost a decade ago, and the gas line in my utility closet was already big enough to handle the upsized demand (only 120k BTUs) I paid about $2000 for the heater, replacement venting through the roof and labor to install it. Took half a day, and the water heater itself was about $600 of that.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

AHH F/UGH posted:

Not sure if I mentioned it but all three of the samples of the random vinyl flooring in my 1950s death house somehow came back negative for asbestos, even the extremely old one below, which was apparently the best selling vinyl floor of all time.

Our painting contractor is almost done, he absolutely killed it and it was 100% the right thing to do to just hire him.

Basically all that's left is to get the doors in, blinds installed, enamel the bathtub and lay the flooring. Honestly I probably should have hired out contractors sooner, but I saved a ton of money doing most of the demolition and cleaning myself. It's still a really nice feeling to be done with the destruction phase and be onto the 'rebuilding' phase.

Armstrong heritage brick, which they are making again

https://retrorenovation.com/2020/03...ater-this-year/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

Leviton or Lutron for smart switches? A few are 3-ways

Iirc Leviton is all WiFi in the switch itself and Lutron Caseta is their own several-generations old magic with a gateway to other automation to modernize it. If you're fine with that second thing, day to day is going to be much more reliable.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

So you'd recommend the Lutron Caseta's over the Leviton's? I'm hesitant on the Leviton's because the gen 1's broke in most of the homes here and I'm not sure I trust them.

Then again, the look of the Caseta's is different than what I'm used to and would require switching everything out, and I'd prefer true three-way switches vs. the wall remote option

Could also go up to lutron's radio RA and then be able to use some more normal looking lutron switches, they have a smart gateway for that system now too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Insurrectum posted:

Before owning a home, I didn't realize flexible hoses (like those under sinks and connecting to toilets) can spontaneously burst, like little home flooding time bombs. Thank god I was home and was able to flip the whole house water valve in about a minute. It's amazing how much water was able to come out in that time. My PO did me an absolute solid and installed a panel to access the whole house valve—when my PO's PO (my GrandPO) finished the basement, he decided to drywall in the valve without any access. The PO came by to pick up some stuff and told us she had to cut a hole in the wall just to access it.

Any recommendations for whole-house cloud connected water flow sensors with the ability to cut off remotely? I think that's probably a good investment now.

I have heard excellent things about moen flo

it's just real expensive.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

I got my bosch from best buy within 3 days fwiw.

Also its tones are volume configurable and 3 basic non-annoying beeps.

Meanwhile my samsung dryer in the garage plays a whole rear end loving song. I'll get an LG set eventually, these ones came with the house and are not great.

LG frontloader is Would Recommend, then?

Yes, the issues with my decade old one has been two easily replaceable cheap solenoids. Washes great.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds like anything electrical with the word “stab” in it is bad news.

Home Ownership: the word "stab" is bad news

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

Anyone know if there are window fans for 20" window frames? Trying to find something that'll push hot air out in conjunction with other fans in one room.

It'll fit a window AC but I'm hoping to avoid those until it gets really really hot.

this sounds like a job for a 20" box fan

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Harriet Carker posted:

I have a drop in bathroom sink set in tile. Without completely redoing the counter, is it possible to install an under mount sink?

Depending on the level of “done” you want, maybe? The tile crew knew the drop in was coming so they didn’t finish the tile edge, you will likely find rough edges and definitely an unfinished plywood/cementboard edge around the sink hole, so you’d need to find some bullnose tile that matches the existing counter to your liking and cut back the existing tile to a clean line and install that. And that’s if he existing structure of the countertop is thick enough to take the under mount clips.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

For goons that have done house extensions, yard rejiggering, patio construction, and so forth: how did you approach the design of the project? I’d like a small patio/seating area out back but drat if me or the Mrs. have anything approaching vision. Can contractors provide a playbook of sorts and let’s you pick and choose stuff to be built?

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, talk with a landscape design/architect person. Depending on how much money you want to spend you could employ an architect

We did this when we build our guest house which was a ~$40K project and the architect was $4K of that, I think "10% of budget" is common wisdom and it proved true for us. Every dollar of that was valuable for me even though I had done a rough mock in sketchup. I wanted to match as close as possible a lot of small details on the main structure, and her ability to take my rough ideas, then tweak them knowing codes, common local construction methods, and how to integrate some period fixtures I had acquired was well worth saved aggravation later on. Depending on how particular you are about everything being just right it might be a good option for you too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
When this came up before I was confused-- and now I see it's with a pedestal fan so it makes more sense that it needs to be a few feet back, up close it's going to recirculate right around the fan and the diameter of wind is small.

Box fan performs more like I expected, still interesting to see the little suction vortices on the face. Wonder if an old style metal 3-blader is better in that regard than the garbage 5 blade new lasko design.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

gp2k posted:

Whattup "New Yankee Workshop" buddy?

Growing up in hot as hell Texas it was fun watching This Old House and seeing them do all this stuff with heating oil and furnaces and basement boilers and had never seen anything like that before. We didn't even have basements because the water table was like 1" underground. If you put a basement in your house it would be full of water the next morning.

New Yankee Workshop ruled. Norm Abram was the real talent on that show.

Also hometime. The first couple seasons focused on simple projects like patios, irrigation, decks, retiling a floor, etc.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

Think of the environmental benefits!!

Actual thing from the app for my solar inverter.

it's A Thing

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's a MOV based suppressor like a power strip has but sized for the load of a house. They will wear out slowly even if they don't take a big surge- so not single use, but total amount of suppression over any number of events. In theory that light will go out once it's used up but in general it's a good idea to replace them every 5 years or so regardless.

Once it's worn out, your house power wont be affected but it won't protect anything anymore

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jenkl posted:

They went out of business.

Time to troll ebay for pre-aquisition used inventory

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325225594469

classic!

edit: apparently the chinese conglomerate just re-opened the same US factory https://www.inquirer.com/business/shop-vac-vacuum-williamsport-lowes-china-20210919.html

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 8, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

Bunch of energy rebate stuff in the Inflation Reduction Act. Do mini-splits count as a heat pump? There's up to 8k in rebates for that.

rebates are income dependent, so YMMV but tax credits are for everyone, 30% up to $2K for a qualifying heat pump. The new qualifications aren't out but for the rebate that expired in 2021, it was 15 seer / 12.5 eer and up, which almost every mini split would beat.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

if a tile breaks, you could crawl up there, wiggle it loose and swap it out, rather than replace the whole thing

bad news, you're going to break 3 more crawling up there. They are also, as you would guess, tremendously heavy.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
if you're spending tile roof money today, you probably also spend to bituthene all the potential problem areas. Whole roof with it might be prohibitively expensive.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Upgrade posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on outdoor fabric brand? It’s for furniture on a covered, but not screened, porch. I read about Sunbrella but it’s expensive and may be overkill

Heh I was going to recommend sunbrella. I recovered some chairs with it and they live out in the Arizona sun and get soaked when it rains and seems to be holding up well.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Pool repairs usually carry "you can afford a pool" tax. What kind of timer is it? If it's the standard Intermatic timer you can buy just the mechanism and replace that only. Got any pics?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
heh, I went the opposite way after my retail strings started dying. My roof is 8 100 foot strands of 300led 12v thin copper wire fairy lights from aliexpress at $10/ea. Only on season 3 of them, but they seem to be holding up. Also fully sealed because of their construction, and the efficiency is kind of incredible. 12 watts total for 2400 "lights" and the effect from the ground is as good as a mini incandescent.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Sticking with incandescent C9s for the time being

with a display large enough for a rotating stock of 500, tru-tones are actually going to pay for themselves

https://tru-tone.com/

It's what I use at the roofline and they are as good visibly as incandescent. Warm white filament-style LED in a colored ceramic shell.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm not a luddite or anything, just have yet to find an LED in the C9 size that looks nearly as warm & inviting as incandescent that doesn't totally break the bank. The last time I cast around for such things, they were $6-$8 apiece. Arguably worth it if they last...but not yet.

These might do it, I'll probably mix them in with my existing. The appeal of longevity is strong; I have part of my garage permanently strung, and one of the perennial chores is changing burnt-out bulbs. Even for this month, some will go...and I haven't done the house yet!

I had been searching for years, also having a stash of older bulbs because LEDs up to the introduction of tru-tones used a colored diode creating a "cold" monochromatic color. When he was developing them some of the first batches were ruined because the manufacturer had "helpfully" put a colored LED in them. The midcentury-era C9/C7 look is a uniquely American nostalgia and that's probably why no large manufacturer until this point produced in their mind an insane product-- using glass to color an LED rather than just use the colored LED.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
hopefully the wholesale price falling means some of that gets passed through shortly

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
But then you're giving the uhleins more money to fund regressive politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Cleaning time is perfect podcast catch up time