Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have a recommendation for an indoor camera to keep an eye on things while away? The recent storms had me wondering how our house was faring and it would be nice to check in on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I too am having cooking problems. Oven preheats very slowly and doesn’t reach high temperatures anymore. Repair guy said the heating elements wear over time and their effectiveness wanes. Wants to replace the thermometer and all three (bake, convection, broil?) heating elements on the oven for a grand total of $775. The oven is “inset” into a cabinet and I’m guessing this is mostly labor. I’m in NYC so everything is more expensive, but this seems like a lot to replace some not incredibly expensive heating elements. I need to get more quotes obviously, but I’m asking to see if my sticker shock is unwarranted before I get more expensive quotes…

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Source4Leko posted:

Did they not give you an estimate that listed parts and labor separately?

Nope, I didn’t notice until they left

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

dalstrs posted:

I don't know the market, but wouldn't that approach the price of a new one?

Well our oven is pretty expensive (came with the house, bosch hbn8451uc), would be a shame to replace it

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

One of the relays in your oven is busted, that's it. Either lefty or righty doesn't click on anymore and your oven is only getting 120v to do a 240v job. Can you solder?

I can if pressed, how complicated are we talking here?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

Depends on the range. Could be modular. It's a lotta juice, thin solder probably isn't going to cut it. Make model?

(also this is a confident guess not a guarantee.)

It’s a bosch hbn8451uc/02 according to the sticker, sits “in” a cabinet, not free standing if that is important

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

Might be a whole board that gets replaced. Check out page 27 of this manual, does this look like your oven?

https://f01.justanswer.com/Dan-appliances/d29464de-248d-42cb-baa5-e0c69a982abe_HBL8451UC_service_manual.pdf

Don't bother turning it on until you do this, it will never get more than heating-pad warm.

That does look like our oven, but our oven does get hot… eventually, but also won’t reach 475 it seems. It gets close, but never quite gets there

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

RoyalScion posted:

Is there a thread or post about furniture brand recommendations somewhere? I've been browsing the interior design thread but it's more what it could look like rather than the details of individual pieces.

We got a couch from room and board which is excellent and a media console from design within reach which is also great.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
What are peoples opinions on hot water heaters? We have two 50 gals in our building (5 unit coop) and one is busted, thinking of going tankless. Never have to worry about 50 gallons of hot water on our floor again (one leaked last year, another this year…), should be “unlimited” hot water, and more efficient. I don’t see the downside other than we will have to pay more up front since the warranty replacement is only $150 vs. the new tankless. I’m guessing the math for electricity will work out as money savings.

Also, despise the screw in/out valves with rubber bits, never work when I need to shutoff the water. Quarter turn always seem to work, going to specify that from now on.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Sirotan posted:

Everything I've learned about tankless water heaters is they are expensive, are not a 1:1 replacement for traditional water heaters in a lot of circumstances, and the electric ones are very expensive and mostly suck. If you go electric you'll probably have to upgrade some wiring at a minimum, and they might not be able to keep up with demand especially in a 5 unit building. I think they also struggle to heat very cold water, so might not be a great option if you live in a colder climate.

We have gas currently, so I just brain farted that. It would be a gas tankless replacing gas tanked.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

tater_salad posted:

Good luck getting folks to show up, it's so loving frustrating, everyoen is slammed, and it sucks.
Between fence folks and Concrete folks, I think about 30% showed up.. 1 fence company gave me a gently caress you price based on google maps because they prefer to do industrial / commercial jobs not 100ft of fence jobs.

I had the same issue with mini split repair, except everyone wanted to rip it out and install a new system except one blessed company who fixed my problem and saved me a buttload of money.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

StarkingBarfish posted:

Nearly free of delicious lead:

My collapsed sewer line was an interesting one. It runs right along the property boundary and they didn't want to excavate the pipe since it'd undermine the neighbours' concrete path. Instead they inflated a fiberglass sleeve into it, which was kinda cool to watch:

https://i.imgur.com/BvfPFId.mp4

Pretty sure we have a clay pipe as our sewer main right now and I've wondered about these. According to a release they are illegal in NYC (code specifies the materials, these sleeves aren't listed) which is a shame because getting ours replaced involves digging up the sidewalk and street, which is obviously a huge hassle. I look these up every time I fret over our sewer main and am disappointed they can't (shouldn't I guess..) be installed here...

If you are in NYC look into getting the sewer/water main insurance the city funds (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dep/pay-my-bills/service-line-protection-program.page), one repair would pay for your life's premium

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I would double check the drainage lines are draining as expected since that is the current issue I’m dealing with…

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
On a scale from 1-10 how bad of an idea is it to buy a 300 year old house (say 1730-1780 timeframe or so)? What kind of problems will I run into that I normally wouldn’t? Are there any specific resources people know about which would be useful to read? Current place was built in 1910s in a major city so I’m a bit out of my depth

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

Pros: Assuming it's not a current tear down it also has survived 300 years. Likely made with extremely old growth wood and is cut to true dimensions. If the wood is in good condition it's going to last another 300 years with proper maintenance. Or is it a masonry house? If so, what condition is that masonry in? We might need to move on to Cons now.

Cons: I hope you dislike money because repairs are all bespoke by real trades people who are good at their craft or done poorly. You cannot buy that wood anymore, and you certainly can't treat it however they used to treat it. (Though I just learned arsenic treated wood was 1970's to 2003! Holy christ USA we knew arsenic was poison!) Expect if anyone did additions that they're likely not to style unless you found a similarly money hating person, etc. Historical preservation boards that hate people who don't share their vision even if it's historically accurate. You get the idea.

Thanks for all the opinions/info! It is all in line with what I would expect. Our current house is landmark/historic so I’m well aware of historical district nonsense, we had to source custom curved glass for our multi level exterior window once, because it can’t be flat if it once was not…

I’m looking in/near Portsmouth, NH (if anyone knows the area) and there are a bunch of old houses in the area, so I would hope there are craftsmen around… I guess my main concern is generally how hard it might be to find an inspector I can trust to be extremely thorough for a house this old, since I’m most certainly not an expert on the details.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Is it crazy to look at installing a ducted heating/cooling system in my 1000 sq ft single-story house? I was getting bids of around $8k to install a single head ductless unit in the PNW, and I am not confident that a single unit will help with the bedrooms which are down a hall from the living room which would hold the duct. The house currently only has baseboard electric heaters.

Thirding the mini split thought, ours work great for ~1k sqft and three rooms with one per room.

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 23, 2022

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I just checked the bottom seal on my Bosch for the first time and it was completely clean, not even a hint of slime… it’s 7ish years old I think? Feeling blessed

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe someone is stealing his electricity? Grow room in the basement? I’m excited for the conclusion of the electricity mystery

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Gritty posted:

It says Actual, so I'd guess they're actual reads

4161 :aaaaa:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
How do I approach picking a type of flooring? We are going to replace what we have and I’m unsure about how to tell if the wood is quality or not. Do I trust that all white oak is the same from any supplier? Reviews of different types of flooring can be hard to find…

Also interested in people’s opinions on solid vs. engineered (vs other?). Not overly concerned with price, I want to make sure whatever I put in is quality stuff and will last until I’m dead. Im looking for a nice hard floor that won’t dent easily like what we currently have, light color to keep space open, and able to stand up to wild swings in humidity our apartment gets because of the skylights.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

Maybe this is me outing myself as a broke person (or at least a cheapskate) but “I’m not concerned with price” are some dangerous words in the world of flooring.

I live in nyc and our space isn’t very big, I’m assuming that labor + ancillary stuff will outstrip the difference in cost between the reasonable (not skimping on quality, but not extravagant) choices. Seems to for many things.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Sundae posted:

Anyone here have mortgage-servicing through JP Morgan Chase Bank? Rocket Mortgage just informed me they've sold off the servicing aspect of my loan (the actual loan itself was sold within like three days of origination) to them now. Anything particularly horrible I ought to know about apart from the general gently caress-barrel of having a mortgage in the first place?

our mortgage is (and always has been) through chase, works fine. their website and app are easy to use and don't cause us any issues.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Why not just move somewhere with a better driveway?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
This convo has me wishing I knew how much water I used, but our water isn't metered...

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

spf3million posted:

I'm sure everyone has already lost interest (I sure have) but this pipe is 42" below grade and still descending at an angle

More updates please and thank you

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Beautiful content

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

take heart, you got a plumber out, things are moving forward!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

thank you for providing this thread with wonderful content, I hope your new main lasts forever and never leaks

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

DaveSauce posted:

Honestly didn't cross my mind. The whole "don't punch extra holes unless you absolutely have to" mentality is strong in me. I didn't even want to drill the holes I did, but there was no way I was going to get this to work if I hadn't. I'm finding myself wishing those cavities didn't even exist... like, it'd be so simple to engineer a corner unit like this without the extra set of walls, and would add a bunch of useful storage in addition to being easier to pipe up, but I guess that's 1 extra SKU, which would price that cabinet maker out of the bidding for my Generic Suburban Shitbox Design #24-C.

I guess I can't be upset at the result, but I'm still mad that this took so long. It was supposed to be a quick swap, but ended up with me having to hack at things for hours until it all worked.

But at least I have a hole saw now!

New Bosch is nice so far, and the CrystalDry is fantastic, but it's going to take time to figure out how to load it. Like... the bottom rack is all weird. Instead of 2 big long racks it's got 1 medium rack and 2 small-ish racks.

I used to have a system. Our dish usage is fairly consistent and predictable, and everything had a preferred place, as well as a backup place... now it's just chaos.

The top (3rd) rack is interesting... great for big cooking/serving utensils. Not sure about other stuff so far. Going to have to experiment and see what works.

Is the third rack the utensil rack? If so we put all spoons, forks, etc up there grouped by type so when you u load you can just grab the whole set at once and plop it in the drawer. Our washer also came with a utensil thing for the bottom rack, we just removed it since the 3rd rack is better

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I am having a hell of a time getting a hold of a contractor I had do some work recently, they also left several hundred dollars worth of tools in my garage, so it's weird that they're just not responding to me.

I seriously don't understand contractors. All of the ones I've recently hired have:

1. Not taken money immediately after job, or within a day
2. Not sent bill within a week
3. Are hard to contact after the work is done so I can pay them

Before they do the work its easy to contact them, once they need to be paid I'm hanging in the wind. Why don't you want your money?? Take the money!! Please! Are they so flush with cash/business that a couple thousand doesn't matter? Maybe I should get into one of these businesses...

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

SpartanIvy posted:

I can't imagine showing up for a party at a strangers house and then deciding not only to steal poo poo from their neighbors, but then toss the evidence into the hosts garage. What an absolute trash tier person.

Same kind of person who would do this in the first place

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

It is a light/fan combo so that's exactly why it isn't centered. Still going to see it every time I use the bathroom now.

Move the bathroom over, easy peasy

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Hadlock posted:

We were gonna each get a mini split for our home offices (both have a Western exposure, and my wife's office has a SW exposure) but you're talking me out of getting a Mitsubishi unit :catstare:

I can tell you my Fujitsu system has been nothing but a pain in the rear end, so pick your poison

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
preface: I am getting more opinions on this, but I want a gut-check from the thread.

We had a plumber come inspect our gas lines/piping in accordance with NYC local laws and the plumber sent back a report saying we failed the inspection and needed to:
* cut out and replace entire gas header from entry to meters
* install new piping, fittings, supports for the same

They want $4275 for this. The DOB report lists:
* (2) future connection on header
* no supports

Why can't we just install supports? Why replace all the piping? The report mentions nothing wrong with the existing piping, just that it has missing supports. I don't know what future connection on header means or implies, but this whole thing seems like they are extorting our building by filing this with the DOB and saying "oops looks like you missed code, $4k please". Am I being paranoid? I wasn't there for the inspection someone else was so I don't know what was explained or said. All of this was installed not too long ago (2017) and I'm assuming passed inspection then :thunk:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

GlyphGryph posted:

So I think I can say its confirmed at this point that there does not exist anyone willing to install a new sink unless its part of a larger remodel, and none of the drop ins will fit what I have now and I dont want to cut stone to do it myself, so yeah, gonna go with the glue approach later this week and just commit to this lovely sink for the forseeable future

Feels like I get this for every small project these days, not enough skill to go around and I’m an idiot so I just live with subpar stuff

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

CarForumPoster posted:

Goon parents: how often do you wash clothes for a newborn? My friend apparently ends up washing clothes for his two kids under 3 multiple times per week.

How many clothing items do you own per kid? We buy 3-6 packs of all clothes to avoid doing too many washer runs, but our 1 year old goes through 2 or 3 outfits a day because daycare lets her go ham on a bowl of yogurt…

Newborns are easier in that regard, they don’t make a big mess unless they spit up a lot

Edit: there is a parenting thread, people are nice, join us

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
So uh, how much did this place cost, and how did the basement not scare you off

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
My loan has just stayed with chase, I hope it doesn’t move their website is pretty good…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
If I don’t push the start button and close fast enough my Bosch beeps at me like it’s annoyed, so maybe close your dishwasher faster?