Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Small Strange Bird posted:

Voyager immediately dropping the Starfleet/Maquis tensions (except for the annual 'Maquis stuff' episode) is a flaw everybody has pointed out so often it now goes without saying, but there are so many possibilities for drama it offered that it's mindblowing they were actively avoided. The sister show running at the same time showed you could have conflict between allied but different groups and still keep everyone ultimately on the same team, but nope, everyone from the Alpha Quadrant is in Starfleet uniform with ranks by the end of the pilot.

C'mon, there must have been someone on Chakotay's ship who was a complete crayon-eater from Buttfuq III with zero qualifications other than "I like shooting Cardassians, me." How are they going to help recalibrate the anti-tetryon matrix? Are they going to spend 75 years in the brig?

The mandate was syndication is good, continuity confuses people, so all that tawdry conflict and factional drama nonsense had to be put to bed ASAP so every episode could be viewed in a vacuum of late-night television reruns at 1am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Gutcruncher posted:

one of those dentists

:stare:

what.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Production posted:

It's amazing, they could easily have stuck closer to their inspiration and made them a race of different racial caricatures of street gang members

Now that's gotten me thinking - how many times have Star Trek come across a group of people of different species? Apart from on a planet. And even that's rare outside of Federation worlds.

Dominion ships will have Vorta, and Jem'Hadar but I can't think of anyone else apart from when a ship is explicitly transporting someone who is not part of their society, like a foreign diplomat.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been thinking of any example and drawing a blank.

Since Phlox was part of a doctor exchange program, it stands to reason there's a human doctor(s) on a Denoblian ship or hospital, so that might count (off screen).

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Denobulan doctors smirking and rolling their eyes as the human doctor recommends scans instead of rubbing patients with animals

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't know how you fellas do it on Denobulia!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I like the episode where they go rescue the Denobulan geologists or something and they didn't really need "rescuing" as much as "convincing" because they could scale the walls of the caves as easy as humans can walk up a slight incline.

Are humans particularly good at anything? Like are we "special" because our spit can break down sugar or we can stay conscious with only a 16% oxygen atmosphere?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I like the episode where they go rescue the Denobulan geologists or something and they didn't really need "rescuing" as much as "convincing" because they could scale the walls of the caves as easy as humans can walk up a slight incline.

Are humans particularly good at anything? Like are we "special" because our spit can break down sugar or we can stay conscious with only a 16% oxygen atmosphere?

Long distance running, and fighting.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

~friendship~

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Humans are stupid enough that we don’t know what we can’t do so we go for it goshdarnit

naem
May 29, 2011

1. pettin houndawgs
2. eatin STEAK
3. faaaaiith, if the heeeEAARRTtt..

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Gutcruncher posted:

Humans are stupid enough that we don’t know what we can’t do so we go for it goshdarnit

FFS we're the Orks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFS we're the Orks

Vulcan Meat Shields I prefer to think.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

we're good at Kirk-fu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

Vulcan Meat Shields I prefer to think.

humans are the Jem Hadar of diplomacy