Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
This was a fun thread in 2008 (RIP LF) so let's do it again. Here's my Congressman

It's Charlie Rangel! He's been in the House for over 40 years and is old as hell. He was the Ways and Means Chairman/Ranking Member forever until he got caught in an ethics scandal involving a villa in the Dominican Republic and got censured/fired. He's still there, but not for much longer, since he's retiring this year.

PROS:
-reliably D vote
-brings a ton of money home for his district

CONS:
-obviously corrupt but the voters don't really care
-can't be pushed to the left at all

We had a primary to replace him in June, which was won by this guy, who is expected to cruise to victory on Tuesday.

Adriano Espaillat is a longtime New York state senator who is now set to become the first Dominican-American member of Congress. He'll be only the third rep for this district since it was created in 1945. That's pretty crazy! I hope he does well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6etfJgZQ7A

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my name is earl

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Can I vote for one of the donkeys instead? They're cute.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Al! posted:

my name is earl

is this a

(1) democratic congressman from the pacific northwest

or

(2) a 21 year old college republican

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Keith!

Pros: Pretty much everything

Cons: He isn't Jeb!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Massachusetts 6th congressional district

Ret. Captain USMC/Harvard University (B.S., M.B.A., M.P.A.)/Democratic Party

:taco:

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Nov 5, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My congressman is a real loving big piece of poo poo.

Ken Calvert
Republican rep for CA's 42nd district for 23 years

Here's a greatest hits of some of this fat gently caress's major accomplishments

Bought land near a major freeway project he approved and pocketed the profits

quote:

Calvert's May 2005 financial disclosure statement showed that he owned eight parcels of land, most in Riverside County, as of December 31, 2004.[20] In 2005, Calvert and Harpole paid $550,000 for a 4.3-acre (17,000 m2) parcel just south of March Air Reserve Base. Calvert's real estate firm, where Calvert's brother, Quint, is the president,[21] and Halpole is vice president, received brokerage fees from the seller, Rod Smith of Greeley, Colorado, for representing both buyer and seller in the deal. Less than a year later, Calvert and Harpole sold the property for nearly $1 million. During the time he owned the land, Calvert used the earmarking process to secure $8 million in federal funds for a freeway interchange 16 miles (26 km) from the property, and an additional $1.5 million to support commercial development of the area around the base.

Took land away from the parks department to build a mini storage building

quote:

In the spring of 2006, Calvert and Harpole purchased 4 acres (16,000 m2) of land from Jurupa Community Services District (JCSD), a water and sewer district in northwestern Riverside County, for $1.2 million, along with five investment partners who jointly had a one-third interest. A newspaper investigation reported in August 2006 that the district apparently never first offered the land to other public agencies, a requirement of state law intended to provide more recreational land. The district's general manager said other agencies were notified, but representatives of those agencies said they received no such notice. The district could not provide evidence of the notification, saying relevant files had been misplaced.
The Calvert partnership plans to build a mini-storage business.[21] In August 2008, the Jurupa Area Recreation and Parks District (JARPD) filed a lawsuit against JCSD, alleging fraud in the sale of the land. In August 2009, the FBI was looking into the lawsuit. A spokeswoman for Calvert said he had not been contacted by the FBI or a grand jury and did not believe that he was a focus of any investigation.[23]

hosed a hooker

quote:

In 1993, two Corona, California, police officers found Calvert with a prostitute in his car. Calvert told the police that he and the woman were "just talking". The Press-Enterprise later went to court to force the Corona police to release the police report.[25] After the report was released, Calvert admitted to having sex in his car with the woman, although the police did not have enough evidence to arrest him, as there was no witness to any exchange of money.[26]

Introduced a bill supporting the confederate flag as a rep from MOTHERFUCKING CALIFORNIA WTF

quote:

Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA) issued a statement on Thursday explaining his decision to introduce and then cancel a vote on an "important and sensitive issue," namely his amendment that would have preserved the display of Confederate flag in national parks.

"The amendment offered last night to the Interior and Environment Appropriations bill was brought to me by Leadership at the request of some southern Members of the Republican Caucus," he said in a statement obtained by TPM.

I hate this man. Please don't vote for this man.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My congressman is Steven Palazzo and he's a piece of poo poo. Hope this helps, well, bye

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
We're stuck with Mike Simpson and Mike Crapo until the end of loving time.
Crapo has been skating by on incumbency and party for years. He needlessly put himself in the spotlight by nevertrumping and then bailing on the movement. The man has no integrity. All he has is a high volume of direct mail fliers.
Idaho should be demoted to demistate

gently caress, accidentally voted 1 on my phone. Sorry.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Diane Black, a piece of poo poo whose only redeeming feature is she's not Marsha Blackburn.

edit:

Everything Burrito has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Nov 6, 2016

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Dave Brat. This loony asshat was responsible for ending Eric Cantor's career, so that is a good thing I guess. Bad is that he is a complete tea party Randroid who may or may not be sane. Too many WASPy douchebags in the Richmond suburbs love him though, and he'll never get voted out.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Bill Huizenga (R-MI)

He's an "audit the fed" jackass, but otherwise a bog-standard Republican piece of poo poo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Keith!

Agreed.

I met him at the Nicolette train stop election day 2014: A pretty cool dude.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Randy Hultgren.

Due to redistricting after 2010, he sort of edged out a guy you might know as JOE WALSH

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Post pictures you lazy asses

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I don't live in Oregon's 4th District right this second but I still consider it my home district, and he's been representing it since before I was born. Also I want to talk about him (quote Wikipedia) because I like him.

quote:

DeFazio has a progressive voting record. He voted against the Telecommunications Act of 1996—one of only 16 congressmen to do so.[19] DeFazio particularly objected to a provision that deregulated the cable television industry. According to DeFazio, many of his fellow Democratic congressmen later realized "they were idiots" for backing the bill. He was also the only Oregonian who voted against both NAFTA and GATT.[20][21] In 1995, he challenged President Bill Clinton's stance on Bosnia, claiming Clinton and his Cabinet did not make a convincing claim for the operation. On the issue of abortion, DeFazio is strongly pro-choice, earning a 100 percent rating from Planned Parenthood in 2010.[22][23] He is a founding member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, and was its chairman from 2003 to 2005.

DeFazio has shown a propensity to vote against legislation that would increase the militarism of the United States. In 2000, he voted no on legislation to create a national missile defense network, describing the system as a "comic book fantasy."[24] He has consistently voted against the Patriot Act, including its inception after 9/11 and the recurring reauthorization bills, citing the infringement on the civil rights of Americans.[25] He also voted against the USA Freedom Act,[26] which reauthorized certain provisions of the Patriot Act in modified form. He voted multiple times to set an itinerary for exiting Iraq, and to bring the troops home.

Sometimes he is a little bit of a (Democratic) party pooper because he's left-left, but he's still good. I like Oregon's senators better but I'll stand by DeFazio.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Keith!

QFT

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MaxxBot posted:

Keith!

What's up best congressperson buddy!

:) :respek: :)

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Everything Burrito posted:

Diane Black, a piece of poo poo whose only redeeming feature is she's not Marsha Blackburn.

edit:

Also this lady.

She is a wealthy FYGM republican.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

FCKGW posted:

My congressman is a real loving big piece of poo poo.

Ken Calvert
Republican rep for CA's 42nd district for 23 years
moved out to orange in august but i didn't change my voter registration cause i want to vote against ken calvert until he is dead.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OR-4 Peter DeFazio. He's pretty good for a politician and one of the few guys who actually voted against the Patriot Act and has been consistently against letting rich people continue to not pay taxes.

I also wrote him to bring back the stache

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i like dick durbin his name is hilarious

i hate mark kirk and im glad to see him go

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cams posted:

moved out to orange in august but i didn't change my voter registration cause i want to vote against ken calvert until he is dead.

:patriot:

I'm hoping this year will be the year he's finally voted out. The super-republican honky tonk bar in Norco, who's had a :smugdon: banner on the side of their building for months recently put out a banner supporting the democratic challenger so here's hoping.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

edit:

Looks like somebody's ready to go with some good old fashioned pearl clutching

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
R-NY Lee Zeldin

Long Island Republicans are a particular kind of human waste. He won't be voted out for some time because Suffolk County is venturing red because those people of color are taking our jobs, ruining our schools, lowering our property values, and interbreeding with our children :qq:

teen witch has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Nov 6, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Rep: Minnesota House District 5, KEITH

Keith Ellison is awesome. Keith Ellison is the first Muslim Congressman. Keith Ellison is the first African-American Congressman from Minnesota. Keith Ellison is a diehard bleeding heart liberal. Keith Ellison was arrested for civil disobedience after protesting the President of Sudan. Keith Ellison isn't afraid to cry on camera. I wish everyone could have a Keith Ellison.

Senator 1: Al Franken (D-MN)

If you don't know his story, Al got his start on Saturday Night Live as a writer and later performer. He leveraged this into becoming a bookwriter and announced he'd be running against perennial shitheel Norm Coleman in 2009. After a race that brought back painful memories of Presidential 2000, the State Supreme Court gave the nod to Al by :siren:312 votes.:siren: I don't care where you live, let Franken v. Coleman 2009 show you, your vote ALWAYS matters.

People were kind of expecting Al to be a clown senator, because he had spent his life being a comedian. He's been one of the most serious and hardworking members of Congress, probably in reaction to that expectation. Here's a video of him systematically dismantling a Focus on the Family spokesman's argument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyAueltLsa4

Al is great.

Senator 2: Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)

I don't know as much about Amy as I'd like. My mom and my grandma adore her, and I know her voting record is good. Someone else can back me up here.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oh whoops i misread the thread title thought it was senate not congress

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

This dork is Bruce Westerman, the rep for Arkansas district 4.

His major claim to fame was that he was on the Arkansas football team at some point. That's plenty to get elected here. He got this seat after another dork, Tom Cotton, left it to run for the Senate.

He likes to remind everybody how conservative he is with frequent robocalls. Despite this, he's still not as grating as Cotton was so I'll give him that.

For some reason the Democrats didn't bother to find anyone to run for this seat during this, the GOP trainwreck election.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mike McCaul, who is being recruited to run for senate because Ted Cruz and/or John Cornyn aren't conservative enough. That's all you need to know.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
my congressman is bobby rush, one of the only guys obama has lost to :c00l:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

crabcakes66 posted:

Also this lady.

She is a wealthy FYGM republican.

in the top 10 wealthiest IIRC
representing some of the poorest areas of the state

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Carolyn Maloney

(D) NY-12

According to GovTrack, she has the highest "leadership" score of any House Dem.

Authored the CARD act and she cosponsors everything. Brings a bunch of money home to NYC and probably has one of the safest seats there is.

Moderate liberal with mostly good views, but the occasional stupid one (promoted anti-vax research a few years ago).

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

edit:

I wish I could have put money down on seeing this face in this thread. I can't escape it. Stay the hell out of my mailbox, Diane! :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pros:
-Is the Speaker of the House and the first one from Wisconsin, which admittedly is cool
-Doesn't have three first names! (Paul Davis Ryan)

Cons:
-Is Paul Ryan

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

iospace posted:

Pros:
-Is the Speaker of the House and the first one from Wisconsin, which admittedly is cool
-Doesn't have three first names! (Paul Davis Ryan)

Cons:
-Is Paul Ryan

I know someone with Davis as their first name.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

CaptainYesterday posted:

Mike McCaul, who is being recruited to run for senate because Ted Cruz and/or John Cornyn aren't conservative enough. That's all you need to know.

I honestly don't know how you argue that Ted Cruz is a RINO, can you enlighten me?

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot

Redeye Flight posted:

Al is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0-FYyuvrRk

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Lou Barletta

look at this motherfucker right here

Representing Pennsylvania's 11th district

are you loving kidding me

pros: ???
cons: was a nativist shithead before it was cool, afaik just "generic Republican" otherwise

Not a fan.

• Locked thread