Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

***UPDATE***
The list has been updated to the 2017 edition. I'll now be working from this new edition. Georgaris has modified his formula slightly to help improve the rankings of newer films. You can read about the update here.

What is this list, anyway?
For those who may not know, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? is a list of the one thousand greatest movies of all time, curated and updated by a guy named Bill Georgaris. It's without a doubt the most highly regarded "greatest films of all time" list among goons and film nerds. Bill compiled the list using individual top-film lists from 3,873 "critics, filmmakers, scholars and other likely film types". The most significant contributor to the list is Sight & Sound's "50 Greatest Films of All Time" list, which is published every decade. You can read more about how the TSPDT list works here.

Does the list change?
Yes. Bill updates the list roughly annually, using updated ballots/polls. It's currently on its 12th version, which is the one I'll be referring to for this thread.

Does the list change significantly with each update?
Most years the list doesn't change enormously. A few films are added and a few are dropped, and some will change position. But the top spots usually remain unshaken. The most significant changes usually come when the Sight & Sound list gets updated.

So, what's the purpose of this thread?
To get more CineD folks on board with attempting to watch every movie on the list. I've been chipping away at it for years, off and on. Now it's time for me buckle down and get serious about finishing it. It'll be fun and motivating to work on it together. Whenever I watch a new film from the list, I'll post about it here and update my count. I encourage anyone who wants to jump on board to do the same.

How can I keep track of my progress?
Here are two good resources:
Letterboxd
I Check Movies

Or just peruse the list in its natural state.

If anyone's interested here's a list of my remaining films.

The best piece of advice I can give is to not let the list become a chore. If you'd rather watch Transformers some night, then watch that instead. The purpose of the list is to provide you with great movies. Yes, finishing it will feel awesome, but it's more about the journey than the destination. Have fun, and good luck!

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The TSPDT list is daunting. I've been working off the 2014 list and have seen 430 of those so far (there are ~5 of those I do want to rewatch though as I saw them so long ago).

FitFortDanga did complete the top 1,000 in the last year or two.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A big chunk of them are waiting in my Filmstruck watchlist and DVR.

I'm at 394/1000 (39%) as of right now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Au Hasard Balthazar - Robert Bresson, 1966

Bresson's style is disconcerting for the uninitiated. He shows the bare essentials and relies on the viewer to fill in the gaps, both in terms of story and emotion. The characters show zero affect. We're not told how we should be feeling at any given time. We watch the events and think about their meaning. We do the work. I admit it took me a good hour or so into this movie to start grasping this, but once it clicked, the experience began to feel personal.

Now, make no mistake. Although Bresson relies on the viewer to meet him halfway, this is very different from garbage like The Passion of the Christ that assumes one very specific world view in order to hold any emotional weight. Au Hasard Balthazar is more like a barebones template, where the broad strokes are filled in and the audience fills in the colors and fine details. What those details are is up to the viewer.

That Bresson was able to make a film that works as a universal, personal self-reflection is remarkable. It's a movie that gives back what you take in. At the end I had tears swelling. That god drat donkey will haunt my dreams.

TSPDT count: 382/1000

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh hey, a perfect New Year's Resolution. I'll watch as many of these films in 2017 as I can.

So far I'm at 132/1000 (13.2%).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As someone who's spent the past two or three years really diving into classic film, its really been fun to use Letterboxd's list and find the films I've seen. Its very satisfying to see the percentage go up and its a more tangible way for me to see the progress I've made in appreciating great movies. I don't have a percentage yet, I'm not done going through the list.

Edit: I'm at 22%, which is pretty good progress considering two years ago I'd have been at like 5%

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 23, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Journey to Italy - Roberto Rossellini, 1954

An examination of a marriage at the brink of divorce set against the backdrop of a trip to Italy. The authentic interactions between Bergman and Sanders - cold, sarcastic, sometimes cruel - are the heart of the film. The Italian locations fill the movie with a lot of symbolism. The movie's well shot, with a contrasty black and white style that seems very well suited. With all that said, I don't completely understand the legendary praise this movie receives. It's a high tier movie with good performances and some good marital themes to chew on, but it didn't wow me.

TSPDT count: 383/1000

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Outer Space - Peter Tscherkassky, 1999

An experimental short film. Tscherkassky has taken footage from the 1982 film The Entity and re-edited it into a dizzying, nightmarish mess of kinetic motion, overlapping visuals and epilepsy-inducing flashes. Think David Lynch short films by way of Stan Brakhage. This is pure sensory film making. Novel, kinda unsettling, and rather substance-less. Running only 10 minutes, the movie isn't long enough to overstay its welcome. It'd be a great film to run on repeat at a Halloween party.

TSPDT count: 384/1000

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I'm currently at 619/1000 so maybe I'll start chipping away at it, a lot of these show up on Turner Classic Movies as well, especially during their Sunday night schedule.

There's a really great Horror version of this as well: http://theyshootzombies.com/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wilhelm Scream posted:

There's a really great Horror version of this as well: http://theyshootzombies.com/

Yeah, I'm doing pretty well with this one. The problem I have with it is that it has a lot of pretty crappy movies, especially in the last 250. Jeeper Creepers 2? I Spit on your Grave remake? Insidious 2? Freaking SCARY MOVIE?! I guess there just aren't 1,000 great horror movies in existence.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I count 406 I've seen, several of which I barely remember and shouldn't really count cause I watched em on VHS as a kid with my dad or grandparents. I have 11 (!) I haven't seen yet on my DVR so that's cool.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
407 funny enough. Just tallied off a bunch of Buster Keaton, never seen Keaton before. Thanks for the horror film recommendation.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Death By The Blues posted:

407 funny enough. Just tallied off a bunch of Buster Keaton, never seen Keaton before. Thanks for the horror film recommendation.

Keaton is probably the only silent comedian where you can see any of his silents and they're good. Even all the ones he appeared in for Fatty Arbuckle are first-rate, with a few every bit as good as his own solo best.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I liked Sherlock Jr, I wasn't crazy about the Steamboat Billy till the end with the storm, some crazy poo poo in there. Also, The Navigator is super racist.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Mostly due to the eight parts of Histoire(s) du Cinema, icheckmovies.com has the last at 1,012 (not sure what the other violators are). Of that, I've seen 453.

Top 100 features I need to buckle down and watch:

Contempt, The Grand Illusion, Fanny and Alexander, Children of Paradise, Shoah, Late Spring, The Leopard, Amarcord, Gertrud, The Conformist, Viridiana, Journey to Italy, A Man Escaped, Sansho the Baliff, Satantango, A Brighter Summer Day, Greed

A lot of hella long ones in there :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TrixRabbi posted:

Mostly due to the eight parts of Histoire(s) du Cinema, icheckmovies.com has the last at 1,012 (not sure what the other violators are). Of that, I've seen 453.

Top 100 features I need to buckle down and watch:

Contempt, The Grand Illusion, Fanny and Alexander, Children of Paradise, Shoah, Late Spring, The Leopard, Amarcord, Gertrud, The Conformist, Viridiana, Journey to Italy, A Man Escaped, Sansho the Baliff, Satantango, A Brighter Summer Day, Greed

A lot of hella long ones in there :(

Make sure to watch Satantango very last, because every movie you watch after it will be a lesser movie.

My top 100 shame:
Mirror, Ordet, Children of Paradise, Shoah, Rio Bravo, Armarcord, Gertrud, Nashville, Close-Up, Sans Soleil, A Man Escaped, Jeanne Dielman 23 Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles, La Jetée, A Brighter Summer Day, Greed.

Some of these I'm really looking forward to (Mirror, Ordet, Nashville, Greed). Others I'm sort of dreading (Shoah).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I haven't seen six in the top 100:

Journey to Italy
A Man Escaped
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels
Satan's Tango
A Brighter Summer Day
Greed

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I'm currently at 619/1000 so maybe I'll start chipping away at it, a lot of these show up on Turner Classic Movies as well, especially during their Sunday night schedule.

I'll have to watch a lot of those.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Jeanne Dielman is extremely good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen so drat many of the top 100 but I have seen Satantango! It's loving amazing.

e: this list seems a lot less definitive than others. Andrei Rublev as the highest Tarkovsky? Once Upon a Time in the West above Good/Bad/Ugly?

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 26, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Escobarbarian posted:

Andrei Rublev as the highest Tarkovsky? Once Upon a Time in the West above Good/Bad/Ugly?

...yes?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough on the Leone, but I'd put Stalker, Solaris and Mirror over Rublev for sure.

I put the top 100s from this and the S&S list together and there's a whopping 65 films I've not seen. Got myself a project, I guess.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Our Trip to Africa - Peter Kubelka, 1966

An experimental short documentary about people murdering animals in an unspecified place in Africa. Shots are cut together without synchronicity, and the soundtrack is mostly decoupled from the visuals. There are many gruesome and disturbing scenes of animals being shot, slaughtered, skinned, etc. It's an unpleasant watch to say the least. I guess Peter Kubelka is making an anti-hunting point? I'm all for that, but the movie's avant garde approach gets in the way of making the point more than it helps it.

TSPDT count: 385/1000

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Y'all need to jump on Journey to Italy already. It's so good.

TrixRabbi posted:

Mostly due to the eight parts of Histoire(s) du Cinema
I really need to watch the last part of that. I saw the first seven and the way Godard remixes classic films into an almost unrecognizable form is super cool, but the philosophical musings are a bit much for me to make sense of most of the time.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Mirror - Andrei Tarkovsky, 1975

"Poetic" is an often overused term in describing film, but it's never been more appropriate than with The Mirror. It's a stream of conscience narrative, spewed out to us with little care for structured narrative. It's a dense, inaccessible collage of memories and dreams, presented via striking visuals. Some scenes are black and white, giving the impression of a hazy dream. Others are presented in lifelike color, possessing Tarkovsky's trademark wet and cold aesthetic. We also get scenes of grainy black and white newsreel footage thrown into the mix. It's concerned with emotions over plot, feelings over characters. There's even literal poetry read as voice over narration. Tarkovsky has created a motion picture poem.

Despite these traits, I took away little from this film. Most reviews mention the need to see it multiple times. That's likely the case, but I can only write an honest review based on my single viewing. While I loved the beautiful visuals and I sensed the personal emotion poured into it, I just didn't comprehend what Tarkovsky was trying to say. Like a poem whose meaning is lost on me, the underlying purpose of this movie didn't click. Is this a fault of the movie, or of myself? Or is it simply the nature of such an opaque movie? I dunno. For now all I can say about this film is that it's gorgeous to look at, but restrictively impenetrable.

TSPDT count: 386/1000

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like The Mirror, but I also get this very strong sense of "you had to be there" from it. And by there I mean in Tark's brain.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The Mirror is my favourite Tarkovsky and one of my favourite films of all time. It is the closest I have seen in a film capturing what a dream is like.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

For those of you love The Mirror, I'm curious, did you love it after your first viewing or did it take multiple times?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
First viewing. But I am a sucker for stream of consciousness, and nice dialogue/poetry.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Spatulater bro! posted:

For those of you love The Mirror, I'm curious, did you love it after your first viewing or did it take multiple times?

For me, I was frustrated throughout the watching of it. I didn't think too highly of it. It was after, when I was writing about it (it was on MUBI and I briefly wrote a weekly review of movies on MUBI) that it really gelled for me. It's like the impenetrable nature of its narrative became more lucid and the themes more identifiable with some distance. It's bound to be a polarizing film, but its beauty and its grapple with existence and death and the past penetrating the present are all very palpable for me. It's one of those movies that demands you just kind of let it wash over you and unpack it later. I still haven't seen it a second time, but the images have stayed with me. Especially the fire.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I watched The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre last night to bump up my number to a whopping 85.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am just shy of 30% at 295.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I'm at 436. Not bad

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Either this list changed more than I realized or I have seen way more movies over the past five years.

EDIT: I'm at 489, yet somehow I haven't seen 8 1/2. I've seen Woody Allen parody 8 1/2 but not the actual film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 28, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Spatulater bro! posted:

First. The only parts I'm not a huge fan of are the newsreel montages but everything else is brilliant. I need to check out the blu-ray.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Either this list changed more than I realized or I have seen way more movies over the past five years.

EDIT: I'm at 489, yet somehow I haven't seen 8 1/2. I've seen Woody Allen parody 8 1/2 but not the actual film.

I haven't seen three of the top 10 and good luck guessing which 3.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DeimosRising posted:

I haven't seen three of the top 10 and good luck guessing which 3.

Seven Samurai, The Godfather, and 2001?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wilhelm Scream posted:

As far as this one goes, I'm glad you can't do a checklist because it would be embarassing how many of these I've seen. Top 200? Every single one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I STILL haven't seen all of Vertigo. Really liked the first third or so but then fell asleep and just never got round to revisiting.

and not seen Tokyo Story, Rules of the Game, or Searchers. I even used to own the criterions of the first two.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think without film classes, you could knock like 75 movies off the list. I don't know where the hell I would have found a reason to watch Accatone, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Seven Samurai, The Godfather, and 2001?

1/3. I haven't seen any of The Godfather movies. The other two are Rules of the Game and Sunrise.

• Locked thread