Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dreams - Akira Kurosawa, 1990

Some of the short stores are more memorable than others. I especially liked "Mount Fuji in Red" and the "The Weeping Demon." And the final one, "Village of the Watermills", wrapped everything up nicely. And every single one of them was visually interesting at the very least. But overall the movie suffers in the same way as every single other anthology film I've seen - the piecemeal presentation causes the film to seem rather unsubstantial. Still, I appreciate how Kurosawa maintained cohesive themes despite the disparate nature of the individual parts.

This is far, far from Kurosawa's best work. But it's nevertheless very much worth watching, if for no other reason than to see Martin Scorsese as Vincent Van Gogh.

391/1000

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

La Jetée - Chris Marker, 1962

I'm not entirely thrilled with the still photograph style. Aside from efficiency (both in terms of storytelling and budget), what's the point? The story is brilliant and fascinating, so I can't help but wish it was shot in a typical fashion. Still, the depth of story and ideas Marker is able to garner with 28 minutes of still frames is admirable to say the least.

392/1000

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Dreams - Akira Kurosawa, 1990

Some of the short stores are more memorable than others. I especially liked "Mount Fuji in Red" and the "The Weeping Demon." And the final one, "Village of the Watermills", wrapped everything up nicely. And every single one of them was visually interesting at the very least. But overall the movie suffers in the same way as every single other anthology film I've seen - the piecemeal presentation causes the film to seem rather unsubstantial. Still, I appreciate how Kurosawa maintained cohesive themes despite the disparate nature of the individual parts.

This is far, far from Kurosawa's best work. But it's nevertheless very much worth watching, if for no other reason than to see Martin Scorsese as Vincent Van Gogh.

391/1000

I watched this last week and was struggling to even figure out how I'd review it. The closest I got was "You know you're watching a Japanese movie when a child is pushed to commit suicide."

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watched this last week and was struggling to even figure out how I'd review it. The closest I got was "You know you're watching a Japanese movie when a child is pushed to commit suicide."

By his own mother no less.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spatulater bro! posted:

La Jetée - Chris Marker, 1962

I'm not entirely thrilled with the still photograph style. Aside from efficiency (both in terms of storytelling and budget), what's the point? The story is brilliant and fascinating, so I can't help but wish it was shot in a typical fashion. Still, the depth of story and ideas Marker is able to garner with 28 minutes of still frames is admirable to say the least.

392/1000

I dunno, I thought it made the moment of actual moving picture pretty powerful.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

weekly font posted:

I dunno, I thought it made the moment of actual moving picture pretty powerful.

It did definitely do that. That was a neat little moment.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm at 262, so this is the first iteration I'm above 25% viewed on, yay.

I miss whatever year Kill Bill: Volume 1 was #1000.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Gone With the Wind

Yea yea, I had never seen this movie until yesterday, big deal. Its like 4 hours long, gimme a break.

Its great though, I did take like an 8 hour intermission, but I really was never bored. Its interesting to see what could be accomplished in 1939 when a studio pulled out all the stops, and the results were definitely impressive. The scope is pretty huge in certain moments, and there's some real cinematic flourishes that make the film feel suitably epic. I guess what you don't really "get" until you watch this film is how compelling Gable and Leigh are together. Obviously their relationship could be considered "problematic" today, but its not exactly presented as a healthy one in the context of the movie either. Leigh is magnetic, a lesser presence would have brought down the film because it needed to make sense that all of these men would fall over themselves just to be near her.

Technicolor rules, I wish it would make a come back.

232/1000 - 23%

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gone with the Wind is one of the best Hollywood epics. It's so well-made and told, you forget it's essentially a soap opera level plot.

The racial aspect can be a little troublesome today, but I think it was handled about as respectfully a mainstream Hollywood film could be in 1939. I do love how such a successful and well-loved film has two main characters that are fairly awful people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Gone with the Wind is one of the best Hollywood epics. It's so well-made and told, you forget it's essentially a soap opera level plot.

The racial aspect can be a little troublesome today, but I think it was handled about as respectfully a mainstream Hollywood film could be in 1939. I do love how such a successful and well-loved film has two main characters that are fairly awful people.

Yea it occurred to me about 3 hours in that I was basically watching about a month's worth of storylines in a typical soap-opera, just transplanted into a historical epic. It totally works though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Thin Red Line - Terrence Malick, 1998

The most introspective and philosophical war movie I've ever seen. By jumping from character to character, the film considers war from every angle imaginable, and thoroughly demonstrates the soul-devouring effect it has on everyone involved.

Malick doesn't care about delivering a structured narrative. There are plenty of other war films that do that. The story he wants to tell isn't about characters and plot, but about the collective soul of humanity - or maybe of all living things. Nature "contends with itself", and we're as much a part of it as a crocodile, a bird, or an invasive vine.

The movie is gorgeous. The beautiful landscape contrast strikingly with the destructive violence inhabiting it. Blood spatters across lush green leaves. Disfigured bodies fall among the delicate grass peacefully swaying in the wind.

Malick is a filmmaker whose directorial voice comes across onscreen more than most. In fact, it literally comes across. Via his characters' inner monologues, he's talking directly to us. Malick doesn't hold back. He spills his soul for us. You're either in concert with his philosophical musings or you're not. I sure as poo poo am.

393/1000

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've only seen an embarrassing 167 of these and that short list leans popular, mainstream, and recent. I think my goal for 2017 is to have the top 100 knocked out by year's end and revisit some of the stuff I haven't seen in a while.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Wind - Victor Sjöström, 1928

In some ways this is a very simple movie. It's short, and the plot can be summed up in just a few sentences. But there's a deceptive complexity underlying it; symbolism that makes the film feel way ahead of its time. Could this be one of the earliest feminist movies?

What I liked most about this is its atmosphere. The interminable wind reminded me of Bela Tarr's The Turin Horse. It provides a constant undercurrent of unnerving dread.

And this has some of the most naturalistic acting I've seen thus far from a silent. Lilian Gish deserves all the praise she receives for this role.

394/1000

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The Wind is so goddamn claustrophobic. It's one of the most oppressive movies I think I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nanook of the North - Robert J. Flaherty, 1922

Going into this silent documentary I assumed it would be interesting mostly for its naivete and quaintness, much like the early segments of Häxan. Boy was I wrong. This was as captivating as any modern doc I've seen. It's teeming with great little moments. The people stuffed into the small kayak, the building of the igloo, the struggle with the unseen seal underneath the ice. These moments are fun and engrossing. This is one of the best documentaries I've seen, modern or otherwise.

395/1000

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Nanook of the North - Robert J. Flaherty, 1922

Going into this silent documentary I assumed it would be interesting mostly for its naivete and quaintness, much like the early segments of Häxan. Boy was I wrong. This was as captivating as any modern doc I've seen. It's teeming with great little moments. The people stuffed into the small kayak, the building of the igloo, the struggle with the unseen seal underneath the ice. These moments are fun and engrossing. This is one of the best documentaries I've seen, modern or otherwise.

395/1000

Also check out Grass and Chang, similar ethnographic documentaries from the same decade. TCM aired all three in a block recently, wouldn't be surprised if they're on filmstruck. I think Chang is probably my favorite for how ridiculous it gets, but Grass and Nanook are great too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man From Aran also rules but its from a good deal later.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man From Aran also rules but its from a good deal later.

Same director or cinematographer as Nanook though I think, I forget which. He did a Polynesian islands one too called Moana but I haven't seen it.

Man from Arab was also very obviously shot as a silent then converted to a talkie. All the ocean scenes is that one are amazing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

As far as this one goes, I'm glad you can't do a checklist because it would be embarassing how many of these I've seen. Top 200? Every single one.

im at like 150 out of 200 last time i looked

i want a checklist tho bc i want to marvel at the amount of my life wasted on dumb movies

e i forgot this list had frailty on it, frailty fukkin RULES if you cut out the very ending and like, the first ten minutes so that you don't know what the framing device is

it's a great movie with those things but going in stone cold and clueless and having no information to work with is even ebtter

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 19, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

im at like 150 out of 200 last time i looked

i want a checklist tho bc i want to marvel at the amount of my life wasted on dumb movies

e i forgot this list had frailty on it, frailty fukkin RULES if you cut out the very ending and like, the first ten minutes so that you don't know what the framing device is

it's a great movie with those things but going in stone cold and clueless and having no information to work with is even ebtter

I ended up going back and doing the whole thing, I've seen about 700 of these movies. Not as bad as I thought.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I ended up going back and doing the whole thing, I've seen about 700 of these movies. Not as bad as I thought.

Yeah I'm not even close to that. 200 tops. I'm gonna start working on it tonight probably. I just got hold of A Tale of Two Sisters which is strangely ranked higher than I Saw the Devil

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

True Heart Susie - D.W. Griffith, 1919

Griffith's story is childishly simplistic. I can only assume that audiences in 1919 were so enamored by the sight of moving pictures that they overlooked the film's plot contrivances, naive melodrama and frustrating characterizations.

We're meant to view Susie as virtuous. She's scrupulous and a good person on the inside. But to me she's a spineless dolt. The entire catastrophe could have been averted if only she spoke her mind when she was presented with the opportunity (this goes back to the aforementioned plot contrivances). And don't get me started on William. He has to be one of the dumbest motherfuckers ever written.

Formally the movie isn't all that impressive either. Griffith's static camera feels lifeless, especially when you think back to the breathtaking shots he pulled off in Birth of a Nation. The editing is sloppy, with shots ending later than they should to reveal production goofs (e.g. when Bettina is struggling to open the locked door, we see it open briefly before cutting to the next shot. Oops.)

There's one exception to that and it's the acting. Lillian Gish is tremendous. Although I dislike her character, I admit she gives a nuanced, sympathetic performance. Robert Harron is pretty good too, even though I wanted to slap his character.

396/1000

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Is there any Christmas or winter holiday themed flicks on this list?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Suplex Liberace posted:

Is there any Christmas or winter holiday themed flicks on this list?

The Nightmare Before Christmas, Fanny and Alexander and It's a Wonderful Life off the top of my head. But there are probably a lot more.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Les Vampires - Louis Feuillade, 1915

Phew. That was an experience. This is a ten-episode story spanning six and a half hours. It's best approached like a season of a modern television series - broken up and enjoyed over multiple days. Each part is both self-contained and in continuity with the larger story.

But unlike modern TV shows, Les Vampires doesn't care much about building on itself from episode to episode. Characters remain flatly one-dimensional, and motives remain simplistic. Nobody grows or changes, and no deeper truths are understood. It's all very shallow.

Nevertheless, there's a lot to like here. Although it lacks substance, its focus on intricate plotting proves satisfying. It's filled with fun tricks and gimmicks that helped sustain my interest and even surprised me now and then. Encrypted secret messages, invisible ink, poison rings, disguises, trap doors, double crosses, mistaken identities, daring getaways. And always a dude hiding behind a curtain. It's fun stuff.

I can't say I ever see myself revisiting this one. It's very much a "once is enough" type of film. But then again, it sure beats 99% of the crap on TV these days, so who knows.

397/1000

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ten - Abbas Kiarostami, 2002

Films most impress me when they're able to shake me in some way by doing very little. And there's not much less a director can do than point a static camera at two people in a car and film their conversations. Kiarostami employs this most economic cinematic method to provide us a glimpse of normal life in Iran. The naturalistic acting and digital video made it feel like I was watching a documentary.

What impressed me the most is the movie's ability to convey so much thematic substance with so little effort. There's a revealing moment near the end that really moved me, despite it being relatively mundane. It just shows how effective Kiarostami's style is. I now feel like a part of these people's lives, and all I needed was to see them chat in a car for 90 minutes.

398/1000

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

it's weird that Kiarostami died this year. It just feels like...he didn't? Ya know?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TrixRabbi posted:

it's weird that Kiarostami died this year. It just feels like...he didn't? Ya know?

drat, I didn't even know he died. loving 2016.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I just realised that Luis Buñuel has more entries on the list than any other director, and yet I shamefully haven't seen a single film of his. What's a good starting point?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

I just realised that Luis Buñuel has more entries on the list than any other director, and yet I shamefully haven't seen a single film of his. What's a good starting point?

Phantom of Liberty or The Exterminating Angel.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! - 1965. A fun little romp through the California desert . Not the best in the way of a story but the dialog was endearing and the girls just oozed a dgaf attitude. Sports cars, violence, and stretch pants whats not to like.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

Un Chien Andalou is one of the most famous surrealist shorts ever, if you want to see how radical Buñuel was at the beginning of his career.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie is hilarious and hugely influential on other films. The Exterminating Angel is great, too.

Un chien andalou is a quick watch, as is Simon of the Desert.

Only other I've seen is That Obscure Object of Desire, but it was back in college, so I don't remember a huge amount from it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thanks for the recommendations. I must've seen Un Chien Andalou at some point, but I remember nothing about it aside from the famous image. I'll start with that and then move on to The Exterminating Angel because its name reminds me of Angel Terminators.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Pink Flamingos - John Waters, 1972

I can only imagine how shocking this must have been in 1972. Watching it - in all its sleazy, depraved trashiness - I was reminded of other films with similar aims (but make no mistake, there's nothing else exactly like this film). Jackass came to mind. Gummo, sorta. Some of those super low budget horror movies like Street Trash and Combat Shock. But what all those movies have in common is that they came out after Pink Flamingos. This was the first time people had seen such filth on screen. The movies that vaguely resemble it all take inspiration from it.

Now here it is 2017 and the film is still shocking. It really is. Both for its extreme grossness and for its extreme weirdness. The mom in the crib eating eggs is unsettling on a near Lynchian level. The dog poo poo eating is timelessly gross. And the unsimulated oral sex scene between mother and son characters had my stomach in knots.

And then there's the scene in which a chicken is crushed between two people having sex. And it's the real deal. That chicken got loving crushed to death. This is, obviously, shocking. But I personally hate being shocked in this way. I just loathe seeing animals hurt or killed for a film, and it always knocks my opinion of a film down a peg. This is no exception.

399/1000

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first time I saw Pink Flamingos it was on the big screen. It is my favorite theater going experience because I had to endure this terrible stench for the entire film, I thought it was the really greasy looking dude a few seats away but only discovered afterwards that I had stepped on dogshit without notching. It was really uncomfortable and disgusting but so perfectly appropriate.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

National Lampoon's Animal House - John Landis, 1978

It's the prototype for lots and lots of movies that I dislike. It's just not my kind of comedy. John Belushi is pretty likable, I'll give the film that. But I didn't laugh a single time. Maybe if I'd have been in a frat in college this would be my favorite movie of all time?

400/1000

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Broken Blossoms - D.W. Griffith, 1919

Griffith had nothing but the best intentions with this film, he really did. Racial tolerance, indictment of violence, and even progressive sentiment towards biracial relationships. Yet somehow, some way, the movie still manages to be racist. The actor playing the Chinese character is white; he's referred to only as "The Yellow Man"; and the film uses the term "Chinky" in a positive light; Sigh. Oh well, at least he was trying.

Much like Griffith's True Heart Susie from the same year, the melodramatic story is dreadfully simplistic. There's no thematic depth to speak of and the characters are glaringly superficial. And aside from the last ten minutes where we get some nice atmosphere with a coastal fog rolling through the streets, there's little that's impressive technically.

The best thing about this is Lillian Gish. Nobody plays pitiful like she does.

401/1000

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Broken Blossoms - D.W. Griffith, 1919

Griffith had nothing but the best intentions with this film, he really did. Racial tolerance, indictment of violence, and even progressive sentiment towards biracial relationships. Yet somehow, some way, the movie still manages to be racist. The actor playing the Chinese character is white; he's referred to only as "The Yellow Man"; and the film uses the term "Chinky" in a positive light; Sigh. Oh well, at least he was trying.

Much like Griffith's True Heart Susie from the same year, the melodramatic story is dreadfully simplistic. There's no thematic depth to speak of and the characters are glaringly superficial. And aside from the last ten minutes where we get some nice atmosphere with a coastal fog rolling through the streets, there's little that's impressive technically.

The best thing about this is Lillian Gish. Nobody plays pitiful like she does.

401/1000

I'd give the film a pass over Richard Barthlemess since it was unlikely for any film at the time to have an Asian actor in a lead role like that. The few exceptions were actors like Sessue Hayakawa and Anna May Wong.

There was also the problem with Chinese-Americans not being able to work in a lot of cases thanks to the Chinese Exclusion Act (which wasn't repealed until 1943).

Griffith making Broken Blossoms in 1919 was pretty much a giant "gently caress you" to racists at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd give the film a pass over Richard Barthlemess since it was unlikely for any film at the time to have an Asian actor in a lead role like that. The few exceptions were actors like Sessue Hayakawa and Anna May Wong.

There was also the problem with Chinese-Americans not being able to work in a lot of cases thanks to the Chinese Exclusion Act (which wasn't repealed until 1943).

Griffith making Broken Blossoms in 1919 was pretty much a giant "gently caress you" to racists at the time.

Yeah. I guess the problem has more to do with the day and age. 100 year old art that deals with race is just going to be racist to 21st century sensibilities.

• Locked thread