Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Looking at Goldblum's filmography, his first role was in Death Wish where his official credit is "Freak #1". Somehow that seems so appropriate.

Isn't his name in Nashville literally Tricycle Guy, or Tricycle Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DeimosRising posted:

Isn't his name in Nashville literally Tricycle Guy, or Tricycle Man?

Yep, Tricycle Man.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yep, Tricycle Man.

I've only recently gotten into Altman and so far he hasn't let me down. Nashville, Long Goodbye, and Thieves Like Us are treasures and The Player is drat good too. Countdown is better than its rep but super obviously got butchered by the studio. That's all I've seen so feel free to harangue me about which ones to watch next everybody

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

mash, mccabe & mrs miller, 3 women, california split, images, quintet, come back to the five and dime jimmy dean, popeye, gosford park

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
How is A Wedding?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DeimosRising posted:

I've only recently gotten into Altman and so far he hasn't let me down. Nashville, Long Goodbye, and Thieves Like Us are treasures and The Player is drat good too. Countdown is better than its rep but super obviously got butchered by the studio. That's all I've seen so feel free to harangue me about which ones to watch next everybody

I vote 3 Women.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Scorpio Rising - Kenneth Anger, 1963

The pop music contrasts nicely with the counter culture imagery. Although the Jesus and Nazi stuff is kinda silly, the film gives off an undeniably real sense of darkness and danger. Overall it may not be as shocking and subversive as it was in 1963, but it's still a pretty cool experience.

443/1000

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

Children of Paradise - Marcel Carné, 1945

I just don't get it. I hear people talk about great movies all the time. We all know them. Casablanca. The Wizard of Oz. Gone with the Wind. The Godfather. Why, WHY isn't Children of Paradise regularly included in this common cinematic vernacular? This is a capital G Great movie. And not just great from a cinephile's perspective, but it's by all rights a crowd pleaser, a film that should be a household name. My best guess is because it's in French. Very unfortunate.

I feel the same way about Sholay.

DeimosRising posted:

That's all I've seen so feel free to harangue me about which ones to watch next everybody

Short Cuts

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

How is A Wedding?

It owns and the story behind it is funny:

"The film was inspired by a remark Altman made while doing publicity for his previous film, 3 Women. Upon being asked what his next movie would be, Altman jokingly replied that he was going to shoot a wedding next. Later, Altman and his production assistant decided to follow through on the idea and began planning the film."

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Amarcord - Federico Fellini, 1973

A gorgeously shot movie, full of lively colors and striking compositions. And that's about the only thing that kept me going through this. I actually kinda hated it.

The characters and situations at best were of zero interest to me, and at worst annoyed the hell out of me. The film's filled to the brim with attempts at humor, and not once - not one single time - did something resembling a smile even start to cross my face. Just the opposite, in fact; most of the jokes spurred me to check how much time was remaining. How many fart, piss, and masturbation jokes really need to be crammed into two hours? Apparently Fellini said about 85 of each, because that's the bulk of what this movie is. Oh, that and shots of fat breasts and asses. It's all just so cringey and unpleasant. Apparently the purpose of all of this nonsense is to invoke some sort of nostalgia. Whatever, the only thing I saw were jackass people doing boring jackass things.

I've seen four Fellini movies before this - 8 1/2, La Strada, La Dolce Vita, and Nights of Cabiria - and they've all ranged from very good to exceptional. But now Amarcord has sullied my opinion of Fellini a little bit. A shame.

444/1000

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Interesting, Amarcord might be my favorite Fellini, at least so far, I've only seen 5 or 6 of his films. Maybe I just love fat breasts and asses!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Interesting, Amarcord might be my favorite Fellini, at least so far, I've only seen 5 or 6 of his films. Maybe I just love fat breasts and asses!

Possibly, everyone in the movie sure seemed to.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Amarcord is awful, and it's a good preparation for the other bad (but not as bad as Amarcord) Fellini films on the list that feature similarly terrible reliance on bawdiness and whose only saving grace is the art direction.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Amarcord is awful, and it's a good preparation for the other bad (but not as bad as Amarcord) Fellini films on the list that feature similarly terrible reliance on bawdiness and whose only saving grace is the art direction.

I'm glad to see someone agreeing with me. This is one of those opinions that I almost feel pressured to second guess myself on since it's so against the consensus.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm glad to see someone agreeing with me. This is one of those opinions that I almost feel pressured to second guess myself on since it's so against the consensus.

Eh, I mean its not like you're saying 8 1/2 is poo poo. That's the one that cinephiles will crucify you over.

Peaceful Anarchy makes a pretty good point though, in that I'm someone who really loves good art direction in film. Like, if the sets and the costumes look good, I don't even need a story or any dialogue. So there are lots of probably flawed films that I consider my favorites on that basis alone.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Eh, I mean its not like you're saying 8 1/2 is poo poo. That's the one that cinephiles will crucify you over.

Peaceful Anarchy makes a pretty good point though, in that I'm someone who really loves good art direction in film. Like, if the sets and the costumes look good, I don't even need a story or any dialogue. So there are lots of probably flawed films that I consider my favorites on that basis alone.

I'm actually the same way. It's just that if the film actively gets on my nerves, no amount of pretty stuff is going to help me like it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like 8 1/2 but the idea of anyone under 40 being that passionate about it feels a little foreign to me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I like 8 1/2 but the idea of anyone under 40 being that passionate about it feels a little foreign to me.

quietly copies down excuse

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

I thought 8 1/2 was excellent, but in certain circles that's not enough, you have to think its one of the few greatest films ever made. I only talk to people about movies on the internet though, so I'm not sure about the age thing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm thinking I'll start Shoah tonight. If you all never see me again you'll know why.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

I thought 8 1/2 was excellent, but in certain circles that's not enough, you have to think its one of the few greatest films ever made. I only talk to people about movies on the internet though, so I'm not sure about the age thing.

I finally got around to watching it a month or two ago. It's good, but it's not even the best new to me Fellini film I've seen in the last year (Toby Dammit)

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
Toby Dammit is a masterpiece, its pure psychedelic Fellini concentrate.

Also has easily my favorite Rota score.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the entry for histoires du cinema is back for whatever reason if you want to change your list https://letterboxd.com/film/histoires-du-cinema/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Radio Spiricom posted:

the entry for histoires du cinema is back for whatever reason if you want to change your list https://letterboxd.com/film/histoires-du-cinema/

Thanks for the heads up. I like having the full film in there much better than just the first episode.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I've only watched one hour of Shoah and I've already teared up at least three times. This is gonna be loving rough.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

So I've only watched one hour of Shoah and I've already teared up at least three times. This is gonna be loving rough.

I haven't seen it but it definitely sounds like something you should break up into a few parts. Maybe let a few days go by between parts even.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't seen it but it definitely sounds like something you should break up into a few parts. Maybe let a few days go by between parts even.

Yeah, I'm actually forced to do just that because Netflix is shipping each disc of the movie separately and I'm on the one-at-a-time disc plan.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I watched it all one Saturday or Sunday. On the one hand it was a very intense experience and I certainly cried several times, on the other hand it means that as it lingered over the following days I could reflect on the film as whole, whereas watching it piecemeal would mean I'd be anticipating (fearing?) what was coming up next and make it more frustrating.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

On the same note of breaking viewings up, has anyone been through Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks? I finished part 1 today, and although I think it's a great documentary so far I feel like ~1.5 hours could have easily been cut out of that alone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Passion of Joan of Arc

Definitely an intense one. The material could easily be a stage play, which is unusual to see in a silent film- almost like a predecessor to 12 Angry Men. Dreyer is very intensely focused on the human face- pores, wrinkles, texture, the sorts of things usually covered by makeup. We see so little of the place it may as well be in abstract (though the set was very elaborate in order to achieve some of the angles Dreyer needed.) Of course Maria Falconetti is astonishing, another one of those great silent performances- you can really feel the conflict in her and how much it takes to keep resisting. Very stark and very spiritual.

357/1461

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Definitely an intense one. The material could easily be a stage play, which is unusual to see in a silent film- almost like a predecessor to 12 Angry Men. Dreyer is very intensely focused on the human face- pores, wrinkles, texture, the sorts of things usually covered by makeup. We see so little of the place it may as well be in abstract (though the set was very elaborate in order to achieve some of the angles Dreyer needed.) Of course Maria Falconetti is astonishing, another one of those great silent performances- you can really feel the conflict in her and how much it takes to keep resisting. Very stark and very spiritual.

357/1461

Those extreme closeups are why it couldn't be a stage play without some major changes. Dreyer was really presaging Bergman/Nykquist in terms of the camera's ability to create facial acting as a form. Some of the expressions and transitions in Passion could only be approximated on stage through the use of big old exaggerated masks.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A Man Escaped - Robert Bresson, 1956

Watching a Bresson film after watching a lot of mainstream Hollywood films is like eating a delicious salad after having gorged yourself on Doritos. His directing style is refreshingly basic and elemental. It's good for you. He does away with big camera movements, lavish effects and flashy edits, focusing instead on the bare essentials of film language. When I see a film like this I'm reminded of how much of what we see in typical movies is superfluous fluff.

Where this rudimentary style became most apparent to me in A Man Escaped is how we never see any shots beyond Fontaine's own perspective. We never see a Nazi guard marching down a hall unless Fontaine is looking at him. We never see any establishing shots of the prison. It's all shot in an almost first-person style. It creates intimacy.

What I enjoyed most about this is the focus on small tactile details like the door splinters, the fabricated rope, the metal hooks, and Fontaine's meticulous process in executing his plan. With so much attention to the minutia, it's exciting. We're invested. The escape itself is exhilarating despite having nothing very "cinematic" about it. It's the investment in the situation, not intense music or other movie tricks, that puts us on edge.

445/1000

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Basebf555 posted:

This is almost certainly why Ebert loved it

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

L’argent - Robert Bresson, 1983

As usual, Bresson's characters move through their scenes with no affectations or emotions whatsoever. He liked to call his actors "models", because they're essentially stand-ins for us, the audience. And it's a brilliant method. Why bombard us with emotions from actors when we ourselves are already so full of our own emotions, able and willing to conjure them if only given the right cues? Bresson understood this fact and utilized it to the fullest extent.

His style here reminds me of early Haneke. No music, no flashy cinematography, just efficiently-cut scenes of events. That's the heart of this film - events and, more importantly, their consequences. There are a lot of extreme things that happen in this film, but for the most part we don't see any of them directly. We see the aftermath.

I think it's easy to read this film as a "money is the root of all evil" sort of parable. I personally read it a bit differently. I think Bresson is exploring the relationship between our life's circumstances and our morality. How much of who we are would change if our circumstances also changed? If we lost everything we care about, would we have it in us to do evil things? Maybe our happy, stable sense of self is more tenuous than we realize.

This is my favorite Bresson film so far.

446/1000

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Spatulater bro! posted:

His style here reminds me of early Haneke. No music, no flashy cinematography, just efficiently-cut scenes of events. That's the heart of this film - events and, more importantly, their consequences. There are a lot of extreme things that happen in this film, but for the most part we don't see any of them directly. We see the aftermath.
Being able to construct an effective armed robbery+car chase sequence that's mostly shots of floor pedals requires some sort of prodigious talent. Or magic.

quote:

This is my favorite Bresson film so far.
Yep, neck-and-neck with A Man Escaped for me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Coaaab posted:

Being able to construct an effective armed robbery+car chase sequence that's mostly shots of floor pedals requires some sort of prodigious talent. Or magic.

Or the shot of the sink filling with blood as the guy washes his hands. It's chilling even though we saw nothing of the murder itself.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The African Queen

Well that was a lot of fun. After some unfortunate early scenes of African natives with bad teeth fighting over a half-finished cigar, the movie focuses on the onset of war and on Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. Both actors are in good form- the crazy inspiration Rose has to try and destroy a German warboat instantly puts a unique wrinkle on the "prim Christian missionary" character, and Bogart has fun with a more comic role than he's usually given. You can tell there were a few rough patches in production (a scene of Rose and her brother walking in a burned-out field uses really obvious blue screen, I guess because it was added later), and the effects, even by the standards of 1951, are a little lacking, but overall the visuals are appealing in a way that's unusually messy for the period- there's a lot more grime and heat to everything. Again, though, Bogey and Hepburn are the draw- they're just fun together and the movie has a light comic feel while still managing some good drama here and there. A grand adventure, and one I'm glad I got to see on the big screen.

358/1461

Next: Probably City Lights

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

City Lights makes me cry like a baby.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

City Lights is probably the movie from this project that had the biggest leap from "I have no idea what this is" to "all-time favorite" along with Le Jetee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

weekly font posted:

City Lights is probably the movie from this project that had the biggest leap from "I have no idea what this is" to "all-time favorite" along with Le Jetee.

Mine is probably Children of Paradise. Before two weeks ago I couldn't have told you a single thing about it, but now I own the Criterion blu-ray and consider it one of the best movies I've seen.

• Locked thread