Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
more than 2/3rds of trump voters earn >$50k a year

more than 3/4ths of trump voters live in the suburbs or a city with >50k people

how does this fit into the narrative that trump was elected by poors living in the sticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

deadgoon posted:

how does this fit into the narrative that trump was elected by poors living in the sticks?

Those are only the loudest of supporters, drawing the most attention to their antics.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

Those are only the loudest of supporters, drawing the most attention to their antics.

do they have the biggest dicks

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

deadgoon posted:

Considering their sense of inadequacy, and raging inferiority complex I'd assume not.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

deadgoon posted:

No, obviously pajama boy and his peers are well endowed, confident young Hillary supporters. Real Alphas, you might say

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Talmonis posted:

Considering their sense of inadequacy, and raging inferiority complex I'd assume not.

versus the HillDawg crowd who obviously imagine they have huge weens, and can't imagine a world where they are wrong (they are wrong)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

gobbagool posted:

versus the HillDawg crowd who obviously imagine they have huge weens, and can't imagine a world where they are wrong (they are wrong)

hit too close too home

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

deadgoon posted:

May I ask for sources? In the rural Midwest community of 4,000 that I live in, the residents voted nearly 80% for Trump. I don't know if any of them have made $50k per year at any point in their lives, they certainly don't live in a city, and they are poors living in the sticks. This is, of course, only anecdotal to the point you were making.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Vitalis Jackson posted:

May I ask for sources? In the rural Midwest community of 4,000 that I live in, the residents voted nearly 80% for Trump. I don't know if any of them have made $50k per year at any point in their lives, they certainly don't live in a city, and they are poors living in the sticks. This is, of course, only anecdotal to the point you were making.

these numbers are from the NYT exit polls: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

of all voters in the 2016 general election:
17% earned under $30k, and 41% of those were for trump, making up ~7% of total voters
19% earned $30k to $49k, and 42% of those were for trump, making up ~8% of total voters
31% earned $50k to 99k, and 50% of those were for trump, making up ~15% of total voters
24% earned $100k to $199k, 48% of those were for trump, making up ~12% of total voters
4% earned $200k to $249k, and 49% of those were for trump, making up ~2% of total voters
6% earned $250k or more, and 48% of those were for trump, making up ~3% of total voters

so ~15% of voters earned under $50k and voted for trump, and ~32% earned over $50k and voted for trump

so over 2/3rds of trump voters earned over $50k

however, i'm not certain if the NYT was polling for individual income or household income

you can do the same math for the residence poll and see that, while rural areas were heavily in favor or trump, big cities were heavily in favor of hillary, and the suburbs were split, rural voters made up such a small portion of total voters that 3/4ths of trump voters were from the cities or the suburbs anyway

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

deadgoon posted:

Breaking news: Republicans voted for the Republican

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Shear Modulus posted:

Breaking news: Republicans voted for the Republican

yeah!!!

it turns out republican voters are mostly affluent suburbanites and city dwellers, not poor hicks

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

deadgoon posted:

yeah!!!

it turns out republican voters are mostly affluent suburbanites and city dwellers, not poor hicks

you're calling 50k-75k a year affluent no wonder your country is in the shitter

hicks aren't necessarily poor. I mean they can be but your generic dual family income with the main breadwinner pipefitting for a shale gas outfit or mid-haul trucking or whatever is not poor, or at least clearing 50k, but they sure as hell will be a hick

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I'm pretty sure a lot of those people you described are dumb-as-gently caress low-information swing-voters who get convinced by things like "I'd have a beer with him!"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

deadgoon posted:

Because he wouldn't have won without them. Rich white people aren't enough, you have to peel off a few votes somewhere else, and he did.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
So Trump won 50% of the voters who both (A) make enough money to actually have to pay for the Democrats' social engineering programs via a net federal income tax liability, but (B) do not make so much money that having to pay for the welfare state does not significantly impact their standard of living.

Sounds about right.

Surprising that he failed to reach 50% of the upper income vote, but then again this was an election in which he got creamed on the west and northeast coasts and lost the national popular vote as a result.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Boosted_C5 posted:

So Trump won 50% of the voters who both (A) make enough money to actually have to pay for the Democrats' social engineering programs via a net federal income tax liability, but (B) do not make so much money that having to pay for the welfare state does not significantly impact their standard of living.

woah there, are you telling me people don't like paying taxes for things they are means tested out of benefiting from yet can't easily afford themselves?

are you some kind of racist???

ed: what yeah you are a racist

deadgoon has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Jan 19, 2017

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
no one did, trump won by russian computer magic.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

deadgoon posted:

It doesn't.

:q:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hillary Clinton won the very poor, the very rich (anyone earning over $200k a year), and a lot of millennials.

Trump took home the Republicans, the racists, and a lot of people making anywhere from $40-80k who haven't had a raise in decades.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

deadgoon posted:

these numbers are from the NYT exit polls: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

of all voters in the 2016 general election:
17% earned under $30k, and 41% of those were for trump, making up ~7% of total voters
19% earned $30k to $49k, and 42% of those were for trump, making up ~8% of total voters
31% earned $50k to 99k, and 50% of those were for trump, making up ~15% of total voters
24% earned $100k to $199k, 48% of those were for trump, making up ~12% of total voters
4% earned $200k to $249k, and 49% of those were for trump, making up ~2% of total voters
6% earned $250k or more, and 48% of those were for trump, making up ~3% of total voters

so ~15% of voters earned under $50k and voted for trump, and ~32% earned over $50k and voted for trump
If they didn't tell the truth going in why would they tell the truth going out

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

deadgoon posted:

that narrative is the democrats pushing their classist nonsense tovarishch :ssh:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

deadgoon posted:

Dems are embarrassed that they aimed for the 50k+ crowd instead of going to get discouraged voters back into the fold and it backfired tremendously.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

SunAndSpring posted:

Dems are embarrassed that they aimed for the 50k+ crowd instead of going to get discouraged voters back into the fold and it backfired tremendously.

the democras aint ashamed theyre a party for rich shits

what the hell are you smokin and where can i get some?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I did not vote for Trump but I voted Romney for governor of MA once AMA

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I did not vote for Trump but I voted Romney for governor of MA once AMA

Does Romneycare cover your failAIDS

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the democras aint ashamed theyre a party for rich shits

what the hell are you smokin and where can i get some?

Maybe "embarrassed" isn't the right word. Jealous that the Republicans inexplicably managed to retain their voters who always vote for them?

Wall Is Life
Sep 29, 2015

#NoBanNoWall
I voted for trump

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

The Brown Menace posted:

Does Romneycare cover your failAIDS

No because I moved to Kansas, which is penance enough for having voted Romney way back when :(

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Rand alPaul posted:

Hillary Clinton won the very poor, the very rich (anyone earning over $200k a year), and a lot of millennials.

Trump took home the Republicans, the racists, and a lot of people making anywhere from $40-80k who haven't had a raise in decades.

This is where the argument that she didn't speak to people on their economic interests actually makes a lot more sense.

In the case of poor hicks, and if they had a propensity to vote left to begin with, they are not in a hurry to lose Medicaid, the ACA, food stamps, welfare etc. These entitlements are important to the very poor.

Middle class hicks though, have no desire to fund these things. They are the people who genuinely believe that their tax rate is an effect of funding the poor rather than funding the already wealthy.

Guess what? Nah, fam.

That's not actually how it works. It's not their fault they don't know; we've been lying to them through talk radio for decades.

American politics:

Why not poo poo where you eat, dignity? No, our political process lacks that.

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Jan 20, 2017

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I voted for him but only ironically

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief
duplicate

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's not about who voted for trump, it's about who stayed home. republicans vote in the same amount of numbers in each presidential race, but the enthusiasm gap was real for Hillary and she did fuckall to attack it. her ground game was almost entirely focused on the suburbs and had almost no presence in black communities across the country

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Reading the thread title like "who let the dogs out" by the baha men

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's not about who voted for trump, it's about who stayed home. republicans vote in the same amount of numbers in each presidential race, but the enthusiasm gap was real for Hillary and she did fuckall to attack it. her ground game was almost entirely focused on the suburbs and had almost no presence in black communities across the country

She lost the rural counties in swing states that Obama won in previous years.

These were white, apparently middle class, independent voter inhabited communities that did not turn out. I've been hearing this info on loop since the close of the election.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief
These people voted for Nixon, Reagan and now Trump. They are known as either Blue Dog or Reagan democrats by turns.

And oh look! Why yes, they are the denizens of Hillary's neglected firewall.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief
They used to be genuine swing voters from the 30's to the 60's.

In '72 they went to the right up until 88.

Blue dog democrat is a term that was popular from the 90's up until 2010, they described themselves as yellow dog dems that were choked blue.

Yellow dog was a play on the idea that the democratic voter would vote for a democrat even if it was a yellow dog. This term went out of circulation in the late 20's however.

The dem party lost the racist vote when LBJ was in office, perhaps as a reaction to civil rights gaining traction during that period and during the JFK administration that went before.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief
Before the Blue Dog democrats there were the:

"Boll weevil Democrats who were conservative southern Democrats in the mid 1900s, largely known for their opposition to civil rights. They used the term because the boll weevil, a southern pest, could not be eliminated by pesticides – politicians therefore thought of them as a symbol of tenacity.

The term fell out of use in the 1980s, and conservative Democrats are now known as Blue Dogs." - political dictionary

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i voted for trump, OP

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm voting for trump right now in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014