Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For villains from Go Princesses I quite liked Close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Yeah I understand that, I was just curious if they ever found away around that particular issue in either the original show or Max Heart (I'm guessing not though).

It's kind of interesting how much more aggressive the original duo seem to be when compared to their successors (and of course there's that infamous scene in one of the movies where the two seem to actively be trying to kill each other, which understandably made more than a few children upset). In fact, at times the original show almost feels more like a Shounen series that just happens to feature female protagonists. The costume designs are also a lot less flashy and more practical than what came afterwards.

This was also a plot point in Suite Pretty Cure as well. The initial villain Siren largely tries to prey on the girls feuds and create discord between them as they need to be together to transform. Though she tended to focus on it too much to her detriment as her boss points out that her direct subordinates were getting a better track record of collecting the macguffins of the series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nielsm posted:

Watched GoPri ep 18, did not expect Princess Twilight to take the precures on personally. And then lose. I'm even a little disappointed in her for that. While I realize she's not the final boss, it still makes me wonder how they're going to spend the remaining 32 episodes.

There are still 2 generals left.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

P-Mack posted:

Dumb Futari Wa Precure question for Japanese/high level weebs: do school children actually play lacrosse much in Japan? Here in the US it's mainly a northeast regional thing, and was even more so back in the 90s. Just curious why they picked it for Nagisa's thing.

From quickly checking it seems pretty popular. They are full members of the international Lecrosse Leagues.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

The only reason I would think of for skipping to Kira Kira would be because as of right now it's the most recently completed series. Otherwise Go Princess probably would be a safer bet in my opinion (other potential options would be Suite, Fresh, Splash Star or a redub of Futari Wa).

Why not Heartcatch?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hasbro might also change from Glitter Force back to Pretty Cure.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I'm surprised Kappard was fought right off the bat. Normally the Generals don't get so physical.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 4, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I was a bit confused about the "Twincool" thing until I saw some places started spelling it "Twinkcool"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

True, it was mostly just a bunch of mooks and a brief fight with a general but I'm assuming we'll be learning more about the Notraiders and how the monsters in this season are going to work next episode.

Some places are spelling the villain's name as the Knot Raiders. Do Knots relate to Space in any way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nodosaur posted:

The mooks have giant N's on their chest.

They're the Notraiders.

Makes sense as anything. Did not notice that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the opening it looks like there are five or so generals. And we are getting a new one next week.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am thinking the Notraider generals may take on a gimmick like Elisio from Kira Kira. Namely he transformed instead of using monsters later on in the series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Based on the silhouettes in the OP one of them looks kind of like a bull, also I think this may be the first time I've ever seen a female tengu in Japanese media.

The only Bull like Yokai I can think of is Gozu of Gozu and Mezu. (Aka Ox Head and Horse Face.) who serve as the guards of the Underworld. So maybe a partner pair based on those two.

I think I counted five generals in the opening not counting the looming figure above that I assume is the big bad.

Edit: Looking at the video I don't think one of them looks like a bull at all. From the Shadowy looks I would guess the three remaining generals are a Tanuki, Kitsune and Oni.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 18, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nodosaur posted:

there's at least 13 princesses and each one has a unique power to give the girls

there's plenty of time to draw stuff out. and like. this is the Maho Girls writer, and that show upset the status quo very regularly.

True it swapped main villains and generals midway through .

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For Star Twinkle It appears the ours villain group's name is supposed to be Nottoraiders, coming from "nottoru" which means "Take Over".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I assume once all four Cures are in the Generals will start mixing up their tactics.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder what kind of Yokai the Wolf like general is based on.

Edit: Like Garogre and Eyeone are pretty obvious. Maybe it will be clear when we get his name.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 25, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

That one could just be a generic wolfman, unless there's a specific wolf-like yokai in Japanese mythology. He also seems more like a butler than an actual general at this point but we'll see. Garogre definitely seems to be the big bad at the moment though (he's also Dogold from Kyoryuger).

I'm also still curious about Top Hat Girl from the OP (who I just noticed is also wearing shades). It seems like she's likely our mid-season Cure but I'm curious if she's part of the Notraiders or some kind of other agent unaffiliated with either side.

Garogre mentions that they have to prepare stuff for their Sealed Lord. So he seems to be the second in command.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I meant he seems like the one in charge for now until the actual Notraider leader is inevitably brought back. But we'll see how things go down as the season progresses (sometimes enemy generals in Precure wind up being more of a big deal than they initially seem, Lock and Close from Go Princess for example).

Oh he will probably be important as the interim leader. I would also not be shocked if Dog Butler was more important than he appears.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh now that I have another look at him, he could totally be a Cat. In fact I would say he is more catlike then doglike.

So yeah he could be based on a Nekomata.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Cat Butler's name is Bakenyan. So he is based on a bakeneko/Nekomata.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It looks like Aiwan will be the Monster of the Week creator. From the Preview Tenjo is back next week, but she has a new piece of gear that I am guessing will enhance her notrays.

Assuming Aiwan gets all the remaining Pens and loses them in the same episode. There will be ten Notrigger fights.

Tenjo I assume will enhance her notrays in various ways.

And I predict Kappard will attack himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Plus we still need to introduce our mystery girl from the OP at some point (I think there's at least two NotRaider generals left unaccounted for at the moment as well).

I think all the NotRaider Generals from the opening have showed up.

Kappard, was at the bottom, Ayewan to the right, Tenjou the left, Bakenyan the center, and Garogre above them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Star Twinkle. Going by the preview. Galogre appears to be punishing his subordinates, and then what looks like a souped up Kappard appears. I am thinking the next episode maybe Kappard's last hurrah. Which I think would actually put him under Pisard for Precure villain attacks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Me too, it just felt especially blatant in that particular case. On the subject of Doki Doki, I forget but does Ace’s five minute time limit ever get fixed?

I’m not sure they’d kill off a general this early (though they did it for Pisard as you mentioned but that was way back in the first series) but we’ll see. It’s nice to see Galogre actually doing something as he is the current leader after all.

Barring some kind of cataclysmic event it seems obvious that all 12 pens will be recovered long before the end of the series so I’m curious whether we’re still going to get any more NoTriggers after that (I suppose they could come up with a new monster making method or at the very least introduce a new general with a transforming gimmick ala KiraKira).

Because of this I decided to check all the series to see how long it took for the first general to go down.

Futari Wa: Pisard Episode 5.
Spash Star: Karehan Episode 7. (Moerumba goes down faster however. Only lasting five episodes, but he comes back later.)
Yes 5: Girinma Episode 24.
Yes 5 GoGo: Scorp Episode 11.
Fresh: Eas Episode 23
Heartcatch Sasorina episode 40.
Suite: Siren Episode 21.
Smile: All of them Episode 45.
Doki Doki!: Regina Episode 23 (Though she comes back.) Levia and Gula go for good in Episode 31.
Happiness Charge: Phantom Episode 41.
Go Princess: Close Episode 11 (He comes back much later) Lock goes down for good in episode 30.
Mahou Girls: Sparda Episode 15
Kira Kira: Julio Episode 22 (Though it's a bit weird as The Kirakiraru Thieves are the villains for the first ten episodes and he does not show up until 10.
HUGtto: Charaleet episode 11. (Though Daigan goes down the quickest lasting one episode 23 when he first tries to attack)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twelve by Pies posted:

I hope cat butler gets to do cool things at some point in the series.

I'm also a bit curious about the Notraiders' motivations. Given his anger at Hikaru, it seems likely Kappard at least came from a planet with a pretty harsh environment where life was tough, and he resents her for being from a planet that supports life much easier. I wonder if that's just true for him or if all the generals have that in common.

He also stated that Earth was beautiful and he had no intentions of damaging it.

BattleCattle posted:

On that note, I'm grateful to the cat butler. He stopped Iwan from turning Mr. Tardigrade into a big monster for tactical reasons, but let's be real, he just didn't want to see a big tardigrade monster any more than I did.

Pretty sure Bakenyan did that cause he is good at pattern recognition. The last two times she did that, she lost the Pen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

I am kind of curious what the NotRaiders’ actual goal is beyond resurrecting their leader as so far they seem way more interested in collecting the Princess Pens than they do in actually conquering any planets.

From the comments thier boss is going to come back on his own, they just want to present him with the Pens and Fuwa when he returns.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

(and Dog Butler appears to be way stronger than he lets on)

Cat Butler. Name Bakenyan based off the Bakeneko yokai.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 15, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Actually when Siren initially introduced herself to Hibiki in episode 1, she called herself Ellen before dropping the act.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Bakenyan is for sure not entirely on the Notraiders side. This latest episode had him look worried when the generals were upgraded and he looked relieved when the Notrigger was defeated.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twelve by Pies posted:

Goddamn Suite Precure got real good all of a sudden. Just got up through episode 36 so now I know everything such as Mephisto's deal, who Otokichi is, and Cure Muse's true identity revealed. Everything is explained! Well...kind of.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky but they didn't really explain why Ako looked to be the same age as the other girls when she was Cure Muse. I know that I'm probably just supposed to accept "It's magic we don't have to explain poo poo" but it would've been nice if that had been addressed since just wearing different clothes wouldn't really cause her to be two feet taller.

She wore platform boots. Seriously there is even an image of her holding them later on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Subs are out for 14. The gang recovers the Scorpio pen and Tenjou can apparently now create NotTriggers as well (and she doesn't need Dark Pens to do it either).

They are not Notiggers. They are Giant Notreis. Her dudes dress a person as a Notrei then she makes them grow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Ah, my mistake. Still though, there’s only a set number of Star Pens so they’re probably going to have to come up with a new method for making MOTW eventually.

Yeah Tenjou and Kappard don't need them, just a victim.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thinking Bakenyan might actually work for Blue Cat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Well off the top of my head:

-Cure Black & White fought each other under mind control in the second Max Heart movie (it was also a pretty brutal fight that reportedly made more than a few children cry)

I think this is the reason no cures can fight rule was made.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Back onto Star Twinkle, I’m still hoping the Princesses get to be actual characters later in the series as opposed to just being stuck in their respective palaces the whole time. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mao was connected to them somehow as well, she did know right off the bat that Hikaru and the others were the Precure after all.

I think it's because Bakenyan is her informant.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

It could always be both. But yeah, I’m still betting that Mao and Bakenyan are connected in some fashion (she clearly seems to have some history with Aiwan at any rate).

Aiwan did not recognize her however, I am assuming Bakenyan just told her about them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Something I should point out Mao is the persona, not Blue Cat. When Blue Cat disguises herself as Drams, the disguise has a few of Mao's characteristics. This implies to me that Blue Cat is what she actually looks like, Mao is just another disguise.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

As I’ve said before, while this reveal makes sense and explains a lot regarding both characters it just feels a little too soon to me. Also considering the whole thing is just a persona I’m not even sure if Mao is actually Blue Cat’s real name (though she may officially adopt it as a civilian identity once she becomes a Precure.

It's not. Blue Cat is her actual form, Mao and Bakenyan are just disguises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Like I said, I kind of hope her Blue Cat form sticks around a bit longer even after she becomes Cure Cosmo. It also would be interesting if she continued to act as a free agent for a while after gaining Cure powers and didn’t join up with the other four right away.

Her Blue Cat form likely will stick around, as it's her true form. I doubt she will adopt Mao as her identify. Like at most I see her maybe removing the Glasses and Hat for her civ outfit.