Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's not. Blue Cat is her actual form, Mao and Bakenyan are just disguises.

True, but I still imagine that’s probably going to become her civilian name once she joins the team (we still don’t know what her real name is/if she even has one at this point. Hell, it’s possible that she wasn’t even born on Planet Rainbow for that matter). I assume she’ll at least drop the cutesy act and start behaving more like Blue Cat even out of suit eventually though.

Like I said, I kind of hope her Blue Cat form sticks around a bit longer even after she becomes Cure Cosmo. It also would be interesting if she continued to act as a free agent for a while after gaining Cure powers and didn’t join up with the other four right away.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Like I said, I kind of hope her Blue Cat form sticks around a bit longer even after she becomes Cure Cosmo. It also would be interesting if she continued to act as a free agent for a while after gaining Cure powers and didn’t join up with the other four right away.

Her Blue Cat form likely will stick around, as it's her true form. I doubt she will adopt Mao as her identify. Like at most I see her maybe removing the Glasses and Hat for her civ outfit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s possible that Blue Cat may decide to embrace her Mao disguise (albeit probably scaled back a bit) once she inevitably follows the gang back to Earth. More likely though it could wind up being that she’ll adopt a new persona/name in that case that’s a little closer to her true self (either that or she has a real name that hasn’t been revealed yet). Mao is literally the Chinese word for "cat" so it would fit the usual pun naming scheme at least, they'd probably just need to give her a last name to go with it.

I imagine she’s probably going to have an easier time fitting in than Lala did at any rate considering she can change shape at will thanks to that knockoff Princess Perfume she carries.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 9, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Eyewan immediately became the best villain by spiking Purun like a volleyball.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While the Bakenyan reveal makes perfect sense in retrospect it does sort of feel like we were cheated out of what could have been an interesting villain (and based on the preview it’s possible that Aiwan may end up being the first general to go down).

Speaking of which, we got some good development for Aiwan this episode as well as she was absolutely furious about this reveal (which makes sense seeing as Bakenyan wasn’t just her butler but also kind of her only friend) and Blue Cat egging her on didn’t help matters. Then again, she did kind of destroy Mao’s (I’m sticking with that name until they decide on a more permanent civilian identity for her) home planet and left her people in a nightmare state of being frozen in stone but also fully conscious on a mental level so I guess it’s somewhat justified.

Point is, if Aiwan is taken out in the next few episodes then the only interesting member of the NotRaiders left is Kappard. Hopefully as is typically the case the arrival of a new Cure will also signal a change among the villains as well (it would also be nice if Garogre finally got off his rear end and actually did something besides bark orders).

Also a reminder that there’s no episode this week due to golf.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 10, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for 19. It’s kind of funny that probably the most evil thing Aiwan’s done so far was almost entirely by accident. That said, I did almost feel sorry for her during the Blue Cat reveal (it seemed like Bakenyan was basically her only friend).

A pity now that she’s finally getting some development it’s looking like Aiwan may end up being the first NotRaider on the chopping block (there’s a shot in the preview of her giant sized and facing off with the Precure). Though based on episode titles it’s looking like this is at least going to be a three parter.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get the feeling Aiwan's been made to be a bit more evil to avoid Bibury again

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bibury was one of the few good villains in KiraKira, she was just this perpetually angry little gremlin whose personality didn’t really change much at all after switching sides and had a somewhat sympathetic backstory (in fact if recall correctly the only reason her face turn happened at all was due to popular demand). I actually wouldn’t mind them trying something like that again to be honest.

Like I said though, thanks to the recent reveal we’ve already lost a potentially interesting villain in Bakenyan. If Aiwan goes down too than the only good one left will basically be Kappard (though Tenjou is ok I suppose and Galogre still hasn’t actually done anything yet). Hopefully we’ll be seeing some new blood among the NotRaiders soon to go with our upcoming 5th Cure.

Despite that and the fact that Elena needs more development (not to mention an actual character arc as right now she’s basically just Hispanic Nao) Star Twinkle is shaping up to be one of my all time favorite seasons so far, hopefully they won’t gently caress it up before the end.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 11, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think someone brought it up earlier but it’s also notable that Blue Cat looks nothing like the other inhabitants of Planet Rainbow aside from the cat ears and tail. I wonder if it’s going to turn out that she’s half human the same way that Hikaru may possibly be half alien.

I don’t think I’ve seen a Precure season that raised this much fan speculation since DokiDoki (which I recently learned also wound up having a few deviations from the original plan. For example, apparently Makoto was not supposed to initially join the team until way later in the season). Hopefully all these plot threads they’ve been setting up lately will get resolved in a satisfying manner.

On another note, I’d kind of prefer it if Blue Cat didn’t just join the Star Twinkle team after becoming Cure Cosmo next week (seeing as A: she’s a well known intergalactic thief and B: she’s got her own planet to worry about). A slightly more amoral Precure who follows her own agenda and doesn’t always mesh with the rest of the team would be interesting to see.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 13, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I finished Suite today. It was good. I think Heartcatch is better, but Suite was still really enjoyable, and had some fantastic character moments.

It's a little disappointing Siren couldn't become her normal self again. Part of me knows this is because of future crossovers, but like, she could regain her shapeshifting ability and just become a human again when she needed to transform. Siren is also weird because she had a lot of character development at the start of the series and a really satisfying character arc when she becomes a Cure, and then after she fully joins the team she doesn't really do much of anything. Hibiki was probably the most interesting character in the show, but that's mostly because she was given the most focus. Even Kanade isn't really given as much screen time as Hibiki does despite ostensibly being a co-main character. And although they kind of shared character development and growth in the earlier episodes (especially during the slow beginning where every episode is "They're mad at each other and want to stop being friends again!"), in the later episodes Hibiki seems to be the only character who has insight into the current situation and knows how to deal with it. Ako was cool but she didn't really have a lot of time to do much after she joined the team, since after she joins it kinda goes into the endgame of the series.

Hummy and the Fairy Tones were the best, even if none of the Tones had distinct personalities except Fari and Dodori (and even Fari's was basically just made up for that one episode).

Also as an aside, when Noise seals Otokichi near the end of the series, given how Noise looked after he got sealed, Otokichi should probably have been a skeleton. But I guess that would've been a bit too grim for a kids' show. :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I have always found the notion that Siren is now permanently trapped in a human body and can never be returned to her original form kind of dark to be honest, even if the show itself doesn’t really call attention to it that much.

If you’re interested in seeing more older Precure I would highly recommend watching Go Princess next. If you haven’t already seen them then Splash Star and Fresh are also very good choices as is DokiDoki.

Splash Star in particular is a severely underrated show, probably due to the unfortunate fate of being sandwiched in between two of the more popular entries (Futari Wa/Max Heart and Yes 5) and at first glance being somewhat derivative of Futari. But it’s got a great cast, one of the more entertaining villain groups in the franchise, and in my opinion some of the better villain turned hero characters in the series (let the Kiryuus fight again Toei, and while you’re at it bring back Regina as well).

Also out of curiosity, I know Izumi Todo is a pen name used by Toei Animation (kind of like Hatte Saboru for some of their live action stuff) but is there one particular person that’s generally regarded as being the creator of Pretty Cure?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 14, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm thinking about what to watch next. Smile is right out; I already watched about half the series and didn't care that much for it, and seeing people talk about how the show doesn't even have that amazing of an ending means there's little reason to go back to it.

Of course, what I'm going to watch next also seems pretty dependent on what I can find subs for, especially since it seems like a lot of older series don't have a lot of seeders for their torrents. Splash Star does look pretty interesting though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also out of curiosity, I know Izumi Todo is a pen name used by Toei Animation (kind of like Hatte Saboru for some of their live action stuff) but is there one particular person that’s generally regarded as being the creator of Pretty Cure?
You can suss out who made up 'Izumi Todo' on PreCure by looking at the high level staff for Futari Wa and who was high up at Toei at that time, but there's no one person because it doesn't seem like it was made that way. The director, the Toei higher ups, the toy people, they all had a big say in the development of Futari Wa.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, is there any other magical girl show besides Precure and to a lesser extent Sailor Moon that's still running with a decent level of popularity (and has been for at least a year or two) or at least still releasing supplementary material? In Sailor Moon's case there's apparently another stage show in the works (if it hasn't been released already) as well as the movies based on the Dream arc of the manga which may or may not ever be released at this point.

If I recall correctly, Precure becoming the mega franchise it is today was basically a happy accident and Futari was originally pitched as just this short, run of the mill Magical Girl show that just happened to be a bit more action oriented than most. This becomes apparent once you get past the first 26 episodes (which aside from the introduction of Pollun tell a complete story with a clear beginning, middle, and end), especially in regards to Nagisa who kind of gets stuck in a loop as far as characterization goes (often learning the same lessons multiple times and not really growing all that much as the show goes on).

It wasn't until Splash Star when they really started to get a handle on things (and it could be argued that modern Precure as we know it didn't really begin until Fresh).

On another note, have they said anything about a release date for the anime version of Magia Record (the pseudo-sequel to Madoka based on a mobile game of the same name) yet? Apparently the game itself will be released in the US on the 25th though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 14, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

For late night shows you have Nanoha and Symphogear still getting new stuff and Madoka is getting another anime soon too.

For kids shows? You have the live action Magi Pures series that has had 3 seasons but Precure pretty much has the anime side locked up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

For late night shows you have Nanoha and Symphogear still getting new stuff and Madoka is getting another anime soon too.

For kids shows? You have the live action Magi Pures series that has had 3 seasons but Precure pretty much has the anime side locked up.

Speaking of Magi Pures (or Girls x Heroine as that franchise is actually called), have any of those been subbed? If so, are they any good?

On that note I would like it if they made a live action Precure show in the style of PGSM one day (though hopefully with a slightly higher budget). A remake of Futari Wa would probably make the most sense (though they’d have to change things up quite a bit to be sure people aren’t just watching the anime again only with live actors) but it might be better to make a completely original season instead that’s more tailored to the medium.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 14, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, out of curiosity why is Happiness Charge considered the 10th anniversary of the franchise despite DokiDoki being the 10th season to actually air? In fact I think the only anniversary season to be celebrated in it's proper place was Hugtto.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Looking at the series list, my guess is they count one of either Futari wa/Max Heart or Yes/Gogo as one series, but not both (if they counted both as one series, then Go Princess would be the 10th anniversary).

e: Hmm nah, that wouldn't make sense if Hugtto was celebrated properly. I guess they're counting it since it was the first series to start airing in 2014, as opposed to DokiDoki which started in 2013. Sentai/Rider do the same thing.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 14, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Looking at the series list, my guess is they count one of either Futari wa/Max Heart or Yes/Gogo as one series, but not both (if they counted both as one series, then Go Princess would be the 10th anniversary).

The problem with that is that Hugtto was both the 15th season and the proper 15th anniversary. Though then again it could be like Sentai where Toei just changed their minds in regards to what counts after a while.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 14, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I noticed that both Ryusoulger and Star Twinkle will be officially introducing their respective sixth rangers (or in the case of the latter, the fifth) in the same week. Has that ever happened before?

Also a picture has surfaced of Blue Cat holding the Aries Pen:

This could possibly indicate that her Mao and Bakenyan forms (as well as her primary job as a Phantom Thief) might be sticking around a bit longer even after she becomes a Precure next week, not sure why she’d ever use the latter again though now that her cover’s been blown.

We sort of had that with Muse, Fortune and to a lesser extent Sword but it might be interesting to have a Cure that has her own agenda and doesn’t join up with the team right away.

In non Precure related news, it seems that the Magia Record anime should be making its official debut this October.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 16, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

More likely is Cosmo will be part of the team but still use Blue Cat and Bakenyan for team stuff

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

More likely is Cosmo will be part of the team but still use Blue Cat and Bakenyan for team stuff

Not sure what she’d use Bakenyan for seeing as her cover’s been blown now (though then again Aiwan’s the only NotRaider who knows so far so if they take her out it could potentially be useful as a spying technique).

Also while it’s possible she’ll take on the name Mao as a civilian identity (as she’ll very obviously be coming to Earth at some point) it should be noted that Blue Cat is her real body, everything else is just one of her many disguises. Mao is the Chinese word for "cat" though so it would fit the same pun based naming scheme most Precure seem to follow (just tack on a last name and you're all set).

On the subject of Magia Record, are the game/manga versions of that any good (also has the latter been translated at all)?

As I said, it’s probably going to be closer to October before the anime comes out (it’s basically the only possible quarter left if they still want to get it out this year) but the game itself will be getting an official western release on the 25th.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 16, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

IMO Suite is one of the funniest seasons in the entire franchise, there are so many laugh out loud moments especially in the first half of the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Suite is one of my personal favorites, yeah. My only problems are that aside from maybe Ako the main characters on both sides are idiots and Hibiki and Kanade spend about as much time fighting with each other as they do with Minor Land (though fortunately that particular aspect goes away eventually).

Despite that, Hibiki is one of my favorite Pinks (she’s basically a more confident version of Nagisa), Sailor Moon Cat (aka Hummy) is one of the better fairies in the series and she gets a pretty awesome moment near the end, Siren/Ellen is adorably dorky even before she becomes a good guy and the finale may be the only episode in the entire franchise that features no combat whatsoever (they transform twice but they don’t actually fight anything).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, it took over 20 years but Sailor Stars is finally getting an English dub. Viz just released the first batch of episodes on DVD/Blu-Ray today.

Trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_jgaP4s_D2I

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A poster for the Star Twinkle movie has been released:

The movie itself is called Hoshi no Uta ni Omoi wo Komete (any idea what that translates to?) and will release on October 19th.

Speaking of movies, is Miracle Universe out on DVD or subbed yet?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"Pour your feelings into a song for the stars" (or may be "the planet" rather than stars, I think "hoshi" can be used about just about anything larger than an asteroid)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I believe 'hoshi' isn't about size, but whether or not it emits/reflects light.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

"Pour your feelings into a song for the stars" (or may be "the planet" rather than stars, I think "hoshi" can be used about just about anything larger than an asteroid)

Huh, wonder if that means this is going to be another musical (the little yellow dude in the poster looks cool though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 22, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Glad to report that Blue Cat's true form is a cute furry cat person. Also she bleps during her transformation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Star Twinkle, let’s meet the new kid.

Episode 20: That was a good episode. While Lala may be our first alien Cure, I think Blue Cat is our first Furry Cure. Her true form is more animalistic than someone like Siren and the other fairy Cures who basically became fully human when they transformed. It's a different tack. I really like her transformation sequence, with Sumipe's singing and all the prism motifs.

Though the episode ended just as Cosmo had begun to fight - against a Notriggerized Aiwan, of all people. There's a lot to like here, but Cosmo's true story is only just beginning.

For a space idol thief furry catgirl magical girl, Cosmo has a bit more depth than such a ridiculous character description would suggest. Next week: Cosmo's fight begins.

Also unless something happens to bail her out next time it’s looking like Aiwan may be our first general on the chopping block.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 23, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cosmo henshin is by Tanaka and is amazing but Toei's second best henshin this week

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blue Cat’s real name is apparently Uni (it was revealed in this week’s episode), I think she might have the most aliases of any Precure character so far (which makes sense given her profession).

It’s possible she still might take on another name when she inevitably follows the girls back to Earth though (hell, she’ll probably have an easier time fitting in than Lala did).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 23, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

While it's not completely confirmed, I do think this episode does disprove the idea that there's some sort of connection between Darknest and Hikaru. He was just responding to them gaining the power of the Southern Cross, rather than Hikaru specifically, given that he reacts to Cure Cosmo in this episode.

Unless of course Hikaru's dad is from Planet Rainbow and she and Blue Cat are secretly half sisters. :v: Which hey, isn't impossible!

e: Also pretty sure that the scene at the start of the episode is foreshadowing that some stuff is about to go down with Hikaru's family, because it just seems out of place given where the Precure are and what happened at the end of the last episode. It'd make much more sense to follow up on that, but showing her grandfather upset that Hikaru is out during a storm seems like a deliberate choice that something is going to happen soon.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 24, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for Episode 20.

I'm still holding onto my "Hikaru's dad is an alien" theory until proven otherwise (he apparently shares his daughter's interest in space and the supernatural, only sees his family once a year, is purposefully obscured in the one photo we've seen of him, and there's that whole rule that if space travelers are discovered they have to leave Earth immediately). I could be reading too much into this but it's not impossible either, it definitely feels like they're setting something up with him at any rate.

Also as I mentioned in my previous post, Blue Cat's real name is apparently Uni or "Yuni" as I've also seen it spelled (most likely a play on "universe") but given what her true form looks like I imagine she'll still take on another disguise/name when she eventually comes to Earth. The revelation that even what we assumed to be her default form was just another disguise does sort of put a damper on my "Blue Cat is half-human" theory though.

She's also somewhat unique as far as non-human Cures go, not only does she retain some of her more animal like traits during the transformation but unlike our last feline heroine Siren (who became permanently trapped in human form), Uni's transformation abilities appear to be innate to her and most likely are still present even after she became a Precure (as far as we know anyway). This could potentially come in handy for the group later on.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 24, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Make her cure form her real form instead of her space elf disguise, cowards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

Make her cure form her real form instead of her space elf disguise, cowards

Honestly if you just find a way to hide the ears her Cure Cosmo form (or at least Blue Cat minus the top hat and shades) would make for a decent human disguise at least.

It’s also interesting to hear that Uni and her people are not actually native to Planet Rainbow but wound up colonizing it instead (presumably having being driven from their homeworld due to fear of the transformation ability innate to her particular species). I’m curious to see where her story goes from here.

I’m still hoping Elena gets some more development soon since, as has been said before, she’s the only one so far without a clearly defined arc going forward. Also if a toy scan that came out a little before the show did is to be believed we may be getting a sixth Red Cure eventually as well (I’m still holding out hope for Sakurako personally).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 24, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought she used that perfume to transform.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought she used that perfume to transform.

She says in the episode that all her people could do it and they were feared as a result, but maybe either everyone on her planet had something like that or Blue Cat’s a special case.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I kind of wish that discount Princess Perfume Yuni carries was tied into her Cure transformation somehow instead of her gaining her powers the exact same way the other four did (her transformation sequence was cool though).

Next week, we get to see Cure Cosmo in action fully and most likely will be saying goodbye to Aiwan (I’m personally hoping for some good old fashioned monster murder as it’s been a while since an enemy general was actually destroyed in this franchise).

Either way, I hope we’ll get some new blood in the NotRaiders soon as so far the only interesting one left is Kappard.

Also if anyone was wondering the name “Yuni” for Blue Cat comes from the Japanese closed captions and is not actually stated in the episode itself. It seems to be official from what I can tell though.

It’s been said before but Elena needs more focus as she’s the only Cure without a clear character arc going forward (at the moment she’s basically just Hispanic Nao minus the neuroses). I am looking forward to seeing Blue Cat/Yuni interact with Hikaru’s classmates and the rest of the town though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 24, 2019