Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hello DIY section,

Every year or two I wind up staying with my grandparents for a few weeks and find some sort of a project to do. Last time it was renovations in the basement with a new bar area, entertainment center, and floors. Before that it was putting down pavers in a big section of the back yard to make more usable patio space. This time I figured I'd do something about his BBQ setup.

Here's the space

And here's a sketch of what I was planning to do:

I want to build an L-shaped counter up against the garage, and then have a raised bar top on the side, and stick a built in grill into it, like this one for example:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/KitchenA...-0781/204268053

The garage there has power and gas right on that wall so getting a line and valve put in would be easy, and I can put a fridge and lights and stuff in too.

The main thing I'm not really sure about is what to actually build the counters out of. Wood framing seems like a bad idea, because, well, I don't want this thing burning down. Browsing around I saw an example where one was made out of steel studs, so I could do that and then put over some sort of paneling? Or maybe I could just go with brick. I'm starting to think that might be the easiest way, and the house is brick so things would even match. Thoughts/suggestions?

I was also planning to pull up some of the pavers and put down a concrete pad. And I'm not entirely sure about the counter material. Possibly concrete? I have no idea what it would cost to have one cut out of like granite, I'm guessing more than we want to spend on this. Or I guess I could do tiles on top of some sort of a flat, non-flammable surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Here's what I did about 3 years ago on my patio:

I used wood to frame it and covered it with concrete board before stoning it and haven't had any issues.

I did stamped concrete counter tops and they are pretty nice and rather inexpensive to do. Granite would be very expensive.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That's nice.

Did you do the counters yourself or have someone do it?

Setting the BBQ into wood framing when the directions say specifically not to do that makes me a bit nervous. I suppose I could make some sort of a small metal frame to hold the grill and then make everything else out of wood.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

jamal posted:

That's nice.

Did you do the counters yourself or have someone do it?

Setting the BBQ into wood framing when the directions say specifically not to do that makes me a bit nervous. I suppose I could make some sort of a small metal frame to hold the grill and then make everything else out of wood.

Yeah, I did the concrete with the help of my uncle. Not too bad of a job.

The grill I used was actually a normal natural gas grill that I built in because the built in ones were at least twice the cost. Like I said, all the wood is covered with cement bored and even where the fire pit is I haven't had and heat issues. Using bricks would work well for you and they're easy enough to cut to make everything fit.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Have done a little more planning, next week it's time to start building stuff. Talked to a guy at an appliance store and he can order one of these at a fairly reasonable price:

https://www.napoleongrills.com/grills/product-details/productid/245/ccd/en-ca/built-in-prestige-500-with-infrared-rear-burner

I'm in Canada, south of Calgary, and was thinking I might have to drive up there to get stuff. But this place quoted me a way better price than what a Calgary store has listed on their website which is cool. The "pro" model with light up dials, leds, and a smoke tray was cool but doesn't seem to be worth the extra money.

Then I went out to a concrete place. The base for this will take about 30 ft^3 which is way more than I want to mix by hand. So I'll have some of my teenage cousins come over with wheelbarrows and have some mixed concrete delivered out front. Looks like about 300-400 to have them bring out a mixer and drop some off. If I went and bought 45 $6 bags of quickcrete it would 270.

The structure I'm going to make out of 12x8x4 stones, a place in town has some outdoor bars, benches, and firepits made out of them and it looks pretty decent. Will also match up with some of the paving I have already put out there. There won't be much for storage space inside of it, but that's fine. Really just need a counter, and a fridge in there.

The place with the stones also has some nice pre-made polished concrete counter tops, but they are a bit pricey. I'm thinking maybe get one for the bar top, and then pour my own for the rest. Will probably just need to do two retangular is pieces instead of trying to have to go around the back of the bbq.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My Dad and I did a build like this 10 or so years ago when they bought their new house.
No pics unfortunately, but we used steel studs for the frame and hardibacker board and tiled over that. It's held up well for the most part except on the tops of the counters. Water got through the grout after a while and all the tiles on the top have popped off. He's planning on either making some concrete countertops to replace them or finding a place that will sell corian in sheets to cut custom countertops.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Have made some progress. Got a slab of concrete down, ordered the bbq, and have been playing giant lego.

Need about a dozen more and to rent a saw to cut blocks to fill in gaps. The left and right sides I'm basically going to build wood boxes for storage space and then in the center I'm not entirely sure what I want below the grille.

It appears I can basically just rest it on the edges of the stones or the counter, but I am think about a frame of some sort to support it with some doors/storage space built it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

We ordered the bbq yesterday, guy said it would take a couple of weeks to come from Ontario. Today he called and said "hey, so we have the nicer prestige model in stock, I'll give you a discount if you want it instead."

Main difference is it has lights built in, which I didn't think was worth an extra $400. But for 200 and getting it today, yeah, sure.

Also rented a big rear end saw and cut some blocks.

Layout is pretty much complete, so now I get to take it apart and glue them all together.

I put a row of darker ones in and am going to change out those ones standing up in the center as well.

I decided I don't really want to pour the counters myself, and grandma is okay with spending money on this project, so I'm waiting for some quotes. Granite is an option and I saw some I liked today. Instead of a counter and a raised bar top I'm just going to have it overhang by about 10" on the back so you can sit behind it. If I had been smart I could have sunk a couple of posts in the ground to support that bit but this will be easier.

The bbq sits on the counter top itself so i need those in first. Also got some cement board to use as a backing panel and shelves in a few sections.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 13, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

More progress. Found some countertops today and we got the process going on that. Third granite place I tried had some remnants that will fit and look nice at like half the price of some of the other quotes I got. Also have a guy coming out to run the gas line Monday. Little longer than I planned on taking, but should be done next week and is going to be really nice. Too bad it's not mine.

Here's a picture I took of the granite. I really wanted something darker with blue in it and there what I found.

Only downside is there will be a seam.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 16, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

it would seem you forgot to select a thread tag so i hooked you up

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Oh thanks. I don't start threads very often.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Made more progress. Found a fridge, gas line is in, blocks are glued together, and granite guys were here today taking measurements.

I set the grill in place to take a look at how things lined up, but it sits on top of the counter so I can't hook it up yet.

So I thought I had things pretty level and square, but now with it all together it's not exactly perfect. A little more care with the concrete pad would have helped, and maybe I should have built some wood frames or something to help place the blocks. Part of it might even be uneven glue application on like the first two layers before I got a thing to spread out. Anyway, not a huge deal- you have to look close and it's an outdoor bbq after all, but it's still going to bug me a little.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jamal posted:

Made more progress. Found a fridge, gas line is in, blocks are glued together, and granite guys were here today taking measurements.

I set the grill in place to take a look at how things lined up, but it sits on top of the counter so I can't hook it up yet.

So I thought I had things pretty level and square, but now with it all together it's not exactly perfect. A little more care with the concrete pad would have helped, and maybe I should have built some wood frames or something to help place the blocks. Part of it might even be uneven glue application on like the first two layers before I got a thing to spread out. Anyway, not a huge deal- you have to look close and it's an outdoor bbq after all, but it's still going to bug me a little.

i'm neither a bbq expert nor a window expert but is having that much heat close to one going to do anything bad?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I think it should be fine, the back of the Bbq is 14" from the wall/window. So that's a lot of air to insulate. And the old BBQs were in the same spot but pretty much right against the wall. And the glass is less flammable than the wood framing.

Also here's a cat picture

This is a trap though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 20, 2017

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

jamal posted:

I think it should be fine, the back of the Bbq is 14" from the wall/window. So that's a lot of air to insulate. And the old BBQs were in the same spot but pretty much right against the wall. And the glass is less flammable than the wood framing.

This is a trap though.
Stainless is not a great radiator of heat, but I still think that's too close. You will probably bubble or burn the paint on that window. What's above the window? Is heat getting trapped by a roof?
In the layout, I assumed the grill was going where the fridge is.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It's closer than recommended for sure. I've always seen 2-5 feet recommended variously. That being said, I used to grill inside my garage (At the entrance, overhead door open - I know, and knew, that it was dumb, but lived in a lovely neighborhood), back of the grill about 6" from exposed framing, and it never so much as felt warm to the touch.

So, basically, good luck, and post pictures if lady luck spits in your eye. And probably at least be prepared to discolor that wall.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Was it grover who melted a part of his house with a grill

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jusupov posted:

Was it grover who melted a part of his house with a grill

i don't think he did but there was some reddit link posted in a thread here recently about someone who built and wood fired (AND ALSO WOOD CONSTRUCTED) pizza oven like 4 feet from their house, stored the wood under it (the frame was made of wood also), and left it unattended overnight.

but it was the firemen who were the assholes for being condescending about it when he's already put it out himself!!!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

SoundMonkey posted:

i don't think he did but there was some reddit link posted in a thread here recently about someone who built and wood fired (AND ALSO WOOD CONSTRUCTED) pizza oven like 4 feet from their house, stored the wood under it (the frame was made of wood also), and left it unattended overnight.

but it was the firemen who were the assholes for being condescending about it when he's already put it out himself!!!

I posted that. It was grover who melted his house too

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ah jeez, it's 6" closer than recommended to a wall, I guess I'm Grover now.

Anyhow, still waiting for countertops. Was hoping it would have been done this week but the granite place has not been keeping me up to date. Would have been pretty quick turnaround to be installed by today though so I'm not too worried.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 22, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jusupov posted:

I posted that. It was grover who melted his house too

wait so like it used to be on that paver there, putting it like six inches from the siding?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That whole house, that wall, the trim, the paneling, every way it's laid out and designed, the way the windows stick so far out in the wall, everything, it's so loving ugly and cheap looking. Like a barn. Ugh just wanted that off my chest.

Also making an outdoor kitchen, last night I did some last grinding and sandpapering of the concrete countertop, today I applied some stuff that isn't even visible when dry, so it looks like raw concrete, but the water doesn't touch it, just beads and rolls off. Also supposed to be resistant to heat so you can put hot pans directly on it.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 23, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

His Divine Shadow posted:

That whole house, that wall, the trim, the paneling, every way it's laid out and designed, the way the windows stick so far out in the wall, everything, it's so loving ugly and cheap looking. Like a barn. Ugh just wanted that off my chest.

i go past a house with a wall like that (facing the street so it's extra ugly) every day on the way to work. i saw it on the real estate listings and it was like $50k less than it should be for where it is, then i look at the pictures and it looks like a loving barn and features barn-style layout ("living room: 17 x 29 feet'")

also asbestos everything

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Made progress on the storage space/cabinets this weekend. Was hoping I could just buy a pre-made cabinet to slide in but they're not quite the right size. Because I have a row of stones below it, my opening is 28" high where every cabinet is 30. And it is 16" wide while 15 and 18 are the standard. So I guess that means build my own, but first I had to clean Grandpa's garage so I could actually use the tools. Did that this weekend and got a nice box made, just need to make a door and drawer and attach them now. Didn't take any pictures of all that so I'll get some tomorrow. Hoping I can have this done and go home later this week.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ouch on the title change.

Called granite place, looks like wed. A little better communication would have been nice, but it's still a pretty quick turnaround and the price was right.

Made a box

Was going to build a drawer and door today but I rode bikes instead.

To get to that point I had to spend like three days cleaning the garage to actually use the tools and space.

For the first time in years, work benches you can actually work on. My dad cleaned up in there a few years ago and put in some shelving and cabinets, and it was all quickly filled with clutter and useless junk.

Filled the garbage can, have this pile of trash I'll have to bring to the dump along with some other stuff not seen

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jamal posted:

Ouch on the title change.

hey 6/10 still involves keeping your wall intact

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Cant you just get some fire brick and line the wall behind the grill?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have some cement board left over, so I could put that up against the wall. My plan currently​ is to have a stainless steel panel fill the gap behind the BBQ and maybe have it extend up the wall to the window.

Countertops should be in tomorrow since they didn't show up today.

Finished the cabinets, except for the paint on the front. Thinking a gray/charcoal color to match the dark row of stone.

Here is some paint drying

And here is a big bridge

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i'm low key jealous because i don't bbq enough to even own a worthwhile bbq, much less a permanently installed one

related: how often do you bbq for this to be a convenience?

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

jamal posted:

I have some cement board left over, so I could put that up against the wall. My plan currently​ is to have a stainless steel panel fill the gap behind the BBQ and maybe have it extend up the wall to the window.

Not a terrible plan... commercial code would be 18" of stainless steel beyond the cooking surface on a non-combustible wall. If the backing wall is combustible you can't do it. That all assumes a hood with fire suppression. So I'm also looking forward to the eventual rebuild thread after you burn the garage down.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xwing posted:

Not a terrible plan... commercial code would be 18" of stainless steel beyond the cooking surface on a non-combustible wall. If the backing wall is combustible you can't do it. That all assumes a hood with fire suppression. So I'm also looking forward to the eventual rebuild thread after you burn the garage down.

i mean let's be honest, a diy outdoor bbq was never going to be to pretty much any kind of code, i think it's just harm reduction at this point

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

SoundMonkey posted:

i mean let's be honest, a diy outdoor bbq was never going to be to pretty much any kind of code, i think it's just harm reduction at this point

Not if we doxx him and narc to the local building department. Isn't that how this works?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

hey look it's done finally. turned it on full blast, let it get up to 600f, and can stick my hand between the bbq and wall and it's not even warm.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 29, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jamal posted:

hey look it's done finally. turned it on full blast, let it get up to 600f, and can stick my hand between the bbq and wall and it's not even warm.

looks good other than the fact that it looks like your BBQ was made by coolermaster in the mid-2000s with those LEDs

if you wanted to be extra safe you could always just put a lil thermometer on the window there during your first all-out grill event to make sure

might be an idiot question depending where you live, but is that fridge like... raccoon-resistant? for the one time when you've had a few drinks and forgot you left the sausages in there

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

aww, i think the lights are cool. blue for off, red for on. also lights inside to light up the cooking. i think I'm going to put some led strips in to light things up a bit as well. I'll even stick a fresh fire extinguisher in there.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jamal posted:

aww, i think the lights are cool. blue for off, red for on. also lights inside to light up the cooking. i think I'm going to put some led strips in to light things up a bit as well. I'll even stick a fresh fire extinguisher in there.

you have to admit you're really tempting fate with that title

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Does the cabinet door on the left open? It looks like the side that would be hinged is blocked from the brick. Also, the cabinet door on the right, is that intended for use from the griller? Either way it seems it would make more sense if it swung open the other way.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I love this! Congratulations on your new outdoor kitchen! Well done!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
You....did mortar the blocks together, right? Because those blocks aren't actually legos, and the only thing keeping them from tipping over the first time someone leans on the counter is gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You....did mortar the blocks together, right? Because those blocks aren't actually legos, and the only thing keeping them from tipping over the first time someone leans on the counter is gravity.

He mentions glue here and you can see it in the picture on the left side.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3825204&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post474541003

• Locked thread