Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

CharlestonJew posted:

You guys are going to think anime Ribrienne is a super well-rounded character after you see what the manga does to her

What's it do to her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Carlosologist posted:

Summaries came out for the next four episodes, and uh it takes it up a notch for sure

Mind sharing with the rest of the class?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Carlosologist posted:

I’m not liking Mr. Satan borrow language from 2017, he is too pure and good for this bizarre hellscape

Yeah. Satan never raped anyone, isn't a fascist, and is the hero of Earth who saved us all from the horror of Cell.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like the joke was that Guldo had a ridiculously broken power and was weak and massively out of shape specifically because he'd been able to abuse it so badly. It certainly works either way.

If Guldo had robot lungs he would be the most powerful being in the multiverse besides Bulma.

Bulma is implicitly the most powerful being in canon. She and she alone has access to a time machine, ergo she and she alone has the power to, at her whim, create God Almighty.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
That too.
Bulma is OP as gently caress.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Chi-Chi is implicitly one of the most powerful human beings prior to Super, unless it's filler or I am misremembering. But yeah, assuming my memory is correct and it's in the manga and not something Toei made up for the anime, Chi-Chi spars with Goten to help him train. And considering he already had the power to go Super Saiyan at that point, and assuming that he wasn't just playing along to humor his mom, then Chi-Chi is implicitly roughly on par with a Super Saiyan since otherwise the sparring would be pretty worthless for him.

Speaking of Chi-Chi and horny DBZ nonsense, never did quite get the pun name for her. She's not exceptionally busty by Dragonball standards, let alone by general anime standards, and she's not flat or anything either to make it an ironic pun. Bulma's both bustier and used for fanservice more often - especially in Dragonball.

Trunks is the pun so good he used it twice.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Petiso posted:

Lucca and Marle feel like they would turn into Bulma if they fused.

Lucca is Bulma-as-Scientist, while Marle is Bulma-as-Flirt/Fanservice.

And yeah, I love how Toriyama draws tech, and also how he draws monsters. My biggest complaint with Dragonball has always been that the villains always get more humanoid as they transform, not less. Frieza's 3rd form Xenomorph is his coolest.

Like give me more weird Chrono Trigger lads.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It's deeply poetic that right after talking about how so much of the Western terminology comes from old Angelfire/Geocities pages that got accepted as truth/reliable uncritically, the thread briefly falls for the fanart (DBZ AF, how I missed you) of a literal Deviantart (yes, they have a DA and an Insta) artist.

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Black August posted:

there will just be a new End of Z

Rebuild of Z

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Judge Tesla posted:

The best example was when you'd have the old Ocean dub stitched onto the first Funimation dub which had the funny effect of Piccolo sounding completely different between the Saiyan and Namek Sagas.

I've forgotten the particulars of all the home-media releases over the ages. Is there any way, and I'm not asking for :files: because I'll happily pay, to get the original Funi and Ocean dubs with cleaned up footage? If not what's the best way to get them?
Like if I wanted to nostalgia blast myself with the versions I grew up watching on Toonami in the 90s, what's the best option?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Frieza is, and it feels hilarious typing this, more complex and nuanced than Goku. Goku just wants to have a fun challenge. Frieza definitely has grown to like challenges and fighting in and of itself, but he's also not that one-note. He likes the idea of having a good fight with Goku and beating him, but as we've seen, he also has 'kill Goku' as a motivation and so if he finds a quick fix to the Goku problem, he'll take it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Black August posted:

Multiverse has many cool ideas and premises it doesn’t do anything with

So basically GT but by a different group of fans.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

CharlestonJew posted:

Beerus gave Vegeta his daily dose until he got god ki

Thanks doc.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. I'm less concerned with clothes beam or wishes than with one of my favorite bits of stupid fun media going Blood and Soil.

EDIT: Then again, didn't Toyotaro's fan manga back when have the villain sperm jacking Goku?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

hatty posted:

That was the main series and their name was Chi-Chi

Dohoho. But no, yeah. They did a Dragonball AF fan manga/doujin before all this. Villain sperm jacks Goku.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't remember it well enough to say if it was done well, but I will say one thing about the Garlic Jr. Saga - I feel like having another arc there is good and better than how the manga handled it.

Having some sort of time between Frieza's defeat and apparent death on Namek and the reveal he's alive, stronger, and coming to Earth with his dad is more effective I think when you've had some time to actually think he's really dead and all that.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Funky Valentine posted:

For every "Goku and Piccolo go to the DMV" episode, there was like five "Ginyu is Bulma is Frog" episodes.

But we also got the best fight in the series; Bulma vs the giant enemy crab.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Last Call posted:

ThingsToriyama forgot in Dragon Ball:

Android 18's hair color

Wait, what? When did this happen?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Last Call posted:

During the production of the film Battle of the Gods, he forgot that Android 18's hair was supposed to be blonde, leading him to give it a purple color instead. He had no clue that he made this mistake until his co-workers pointed it out to him so he could fix his mistake.

:allears:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think some of my favorite Dragonball stuff is early Namek. Partly nostalgia, but also I like the kind of chaotic nature of how you have basically three factions each after the same goal and operating with imperfect knowledge, and the little shifting alliances and dramatic turns that happen.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Funky Valentine posted:

We should factor in that Super Saiyan just looks plain cooler than the Kaioken.

I like Super Saiyan 3 but my hot take is that regular Super Saiyan is kinda... meh? Like I remember my original reaction being fairly hype but also 'so his big transformation is that Goku turns into blonde Vegeta?'

Like consider how radical all the prior transformations we'd seen were. While Frieza's second form is kind of a roid rage version of his first, all his other forms are basically completely new, if similar in some elements, character designs. Zarbon goes from bishie to beast. Saiyans turn into King Kong. Like every transformation in the series to that point was pretty drat dramatic in terms of how different it looked, and now this, the culmination of a literal ancient legend, is just a change in hair style and color.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 19, 2022

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh yeah, no, I like the handling of Goku's personality - at least in that original transformation. I'm just saying more the visual design.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
How in God's name does an announcement require planning?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Blockhouse posted:

I mean...every announcement is planned? It's part of why you have a PR department.

I know., it's just dumb. It's like trailers for trailers. Just loving say 'we are releasing X on Y, it will star A, B, and C and be about [things].'
Like I'm sick of the constant content ecosystem of announcements for announcements.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Speaking of stuff adjacent to Heroes which I know basically nothing about, has anyone ever done a write-up of the plot of the old MMO Towa is originally from? Also, similarly, has Toriyama or anyone ever said why he didn't use her or other stuff from the MMO in Super? Like the MMO was all his designs and ideas, wasn't it? I recall it being hyped up as such when it first came out in Japan and it was the newest DBZ thing since GT and all tht.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Star Man posted:

I remember all of the hype in the West that was built up online around DBZ and GT when we were still in the throes of the endless loop of Raditz's arrival and Goku's landing on Namek. Everything was just drip fed out of Japan and your only access to any of this was summaries written up by other fans who knew about the rest of the series' plotline. And it probably all came from fan subs in the nineties and cheesy English voicework done for the Indonesian dub of some of the movies.

The height of it all was in 2002 and 2003, and once GT started airing, it was a total fuckin letdown. All that hype and the show is just trash. I really wonder how GT was received in Japan.

I remember the early websites I read in like 98 or 99 so having really confused and muddled understandings of later Z, too. Like the latter parts of the Buu Saga and GT just swirled together into this miasma of misunderstanding and mistranslation.

EDIT: What were the Temple of Trunks and Planet Namek urls? I wanna wayback that poo poo.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Blockhouse posted:

It's not just Saiyans. Outside of Earthlings, Namekians, and deities no other race in the galaxy has a concept of martial arts. Ki and training and advancement are foreign concepts to them. If you're born with a power level of 100,000 then you're just some freakishly strong mutant and no one can possibly touch that (see, for instance, the Ginyu Force and their attitude towards Goku.)

This is pro-wrestling erasure.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It's also kind of relational. Nappa is huge but he's less of a threat than Vegeta. By and large people who are effective in Dragonball/Z are more athletic or lean than outright huge musclemen. Recoome is arguably the biggest exception and even then, he still gets literally one-shot by Goku.

And then I mean in Super we have the literal God of Destruction being an emaciated cat man.

Part of it might be his own quirk of design philosophy, but I think it also comes from his taste in like tokusatsu/heroic vibes and comedic writing. It's for one thing funnier to have the ultra scary badass be unassuming, but it also is a great way to portray the hero as an underdog even when they're not. The underdog in Goku vs Recoome is Recoome, but the way it reads to the audience thanks to the visual language of the panels and how small Goku is in comparison, yeah, it comes off as Goku heroically demonstrating his superiority despite being apparently - in the most literal sense of the word 'apparently' - outclassed.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

CT is the funimation Dub ost of RPGs in that it's the one the majority of people were exposed to as children and outside of a few high points was kind of just okay at best throughout.

:mods:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
One of the big problems with CC is that it has a billion playable characters but nearly all of them could at best be charitably called one-dimensional characters. Like the cast has the breadth of the ocean but the depth of a petri dish. And, sure, it's not like the cast of CT were incredibly deep, but they were all fun and memorable enough archetypes that were all given time to shine and do things. They were characters. The bulk of CC's cast are character concepts.

That all said, CC may well be the best video game soundtrack of all time. it's loving insane.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
LA HEAD CHA LA

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Given how insane those games got with some of their character choices and poo poo, I'm always kind of surprised they never bothered making the implicit other forms for Cold, Cooler, and Mecha-Frieza.

Anyway no Farmer With Shotgun, no buy.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
They need to include not only every character to ever be given a name in Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and Dragon Ball Super, but also every single named character to appear in Dr. Slump.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Larryb posted:

They put Mister Satan in despite him being horribly outmatched by nearly every other fighter so as I mentioned earlier I’d kind of like to see ChiChi and/or Bulma included in the roster as well (not sure how you’d make the latter work combat wise though)

The power armor from when she fought the giant enemy crab on Namek.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
18 not only kicked Vegeta's rear end, but she did so effortlessly and right after he finally reached Super Saiyan. It's kind of hilarious how he just lets it go and never obsesses over it.
Now he probably has to look at her while he goes to barbecues at Krillen's place with Bulma.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

GateOfD posted:

i think its pretty realistic though that Krillin and Yamcha settled down and got regular jobs. most people don't keep doing the same thing they did as a teenager for life.

Most people are also not responsible for helping defeat Satan, Space Hitler, Serpentor, and Eldritch Kirby, as well as being on a first-name basis with a number of deities and 'sexy genderswapped Lex Luthor.'

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Toriyama made an accidental parable about how fascist machismo is no substitute for earnest self-improvement and discipline.

But yeah. Humans seem unique in training by and large. And also in lifespan. Like all the other races live for centuries or more it seems but humans, barring rare freaks like Roshi and poo poo, are basically mayflies.

Like basically everyone in Frieza's crew looks identical in flashbacks to the Saiyan genocide, so it's not just Saiyans that age slowly.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Fair enough, yeah. I tend to dunk on him a bit - while I love him - for writing by the seat of his pants, but yeah. That is a consistent enough theme that if it was an accident then it would be remarkable.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean until fairly recently with the gross Saiyan pride poo poo in Super, yeah, the identities you choose rather than those you inherit being the ones that matter was kind of a thing too. Goku may not have been quite as conventionally heroic in the original Japanese as in the English dub stuff, but I seem to recall it still being fairly clear he identified more as an Earthling and with his Human buddies than as a member of a race of assholes he had no connection to besides his blood.

Again, though, the dumb retcon of Bardock being straight up Jor-El kind of diminishes this a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So a bit of a derail, but somewhat germane given the talk of Z vs OG Dragonall on the previous page, but I've always wondered something and I'm curious what you all think: would Dragon Ball Z have been successful in the West if we had gotten a successful dub of Dragon Ball before it? I know there were some dubs of DB prior to Z but, at least in the Anglosphere, they all failed to really catch on (I have no idea about the history of the franchise in Latin America but I'm sure some of y'all can provide some insights there). And consider, especially by the standards of American audiences unused to things like time skips in shows and complete tonal shifts, just how loving bonkers the start of Z is.

"So it turns out Sun Wukong is an alien. And God and Satan are also aliens. Also Sun Wukong has a kid now. Oh, and here's his alien brother. Oh no, more aliens! Anyway, no time to talk about it, grab the six year old, we need to go fight Space Hitler. Yeah, Space Hitler. Wuxia? Nah, this is Space Opera now!"

Like it's such a loving huge shift in so many ways that I could honestly imagine it alienating audiences and killing the franchise here. Or, who knows, maybe Z would still be broadly successful but with a new audience, and you'd have something like the original bitter TOS/TNG divide in Star Trek.

Just a "what if" I've always found interesting to think about since, yeah. I mean the fact that DBZ managed to be successful with audiences that had never seen DB kind of tells you how loving massive a shift it was - the new series was so divorced from the prior context that you didn't need that context to enjoy it.