Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i havent watched super in months but as a lesbian it is my expert, irrefutable opinion that that one girl is gay as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a website devoted to lesbians watching dragon ball gt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

I think we can argue that DT is a weird creep without going into offsite behavior, honestly. He's obsessed with Senran Kagura.
i think liking senran kagura and saying lesbians should be hosed by men into being straight are slightly different, fursonally

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if i could make one change to dbz id make it so final explosion is what kills babidi and dabura because at least that makes it so that cool scene accomplished something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

DT's shtick is to treat threads like his personal blog to dump the garbage he likes, and ignore any negative responses until people just give up and accept it.
this also seems to be his plan on how to treat lesbians

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

if I'm primarily interested in OG Dragon Ball and don't really care about the material covered in Z, should I go with the manga or the original anime?

imo the anime adaptation of og dragon ball is very good. a lot of the filler they add adds a lot to the series, and there's a lot of detail added to fights, like the sunset in the goku/roshi tournament fight. some of the filler does fall a bit flat, though, but unlike dbz 'filler' isnt really stretching out fights to no end. the only thing that really feels like that is the midfight break during the tao fight, but its like an episode, so eh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd go so far as to say the Piccolo arc is straight up better in the anime. The anime adds a lot of stuff of how Piccolo and his minions have affected the world and gives Goku an actual mystical quest for his power up. In the manga Piccolo just kind of walks into an office building and declares world conquest and Goku gets powered up because he gets powered up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

og roshi definitely doesnt work in 2019 japan lol. theres a reason why perv characters in modern shonen are way toned down comparatively. like compare mineta, whos the same age as the girls and at worst tricks them into cheerleaders or tries to spy on them changing without actually succeeding, to roshi, who's a 500+ year old man whose main objective in life is to see a teenager's bare breasts, a goal he succeeds in

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hjalmar posted:

People like Broly more than they like believing victims of sex crimes.
going by the replies they like not believing victims of sex crimes more than they like broly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Is there an actual difference between kamehameha/special beam cannon/galik gun? Is goku's borrowed technique effectively any different from the equivalent ones that were developed by their user?
beam cannon is a pointed drill, like how the destructo disc is a saw.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even with the worst interpretation of the tfs guys im sure they wont be back. like regardless of your stance on vic (hint: hes a sexmonster) the fact that they basically just dumped every single attendee into the middle of this huge crossfire with zero warning or buildup after the situation seemed to be resolved is garbage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Talvos posted:

Haha.... pretty standard stuff, huh? Sounds like he's a bit awkward/unlucky and that's got him into trouble a few times. I wish he was like a real Goku.
i wish vic was like a real goku in that he got beat up by buff aliens weekly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you want these guys fired for this you should want everyone who was involved in the Ghost Stories dub or the Berserk outtakes fired. Those are just as bad as this and were actually released for public consumption and nobody gives two shits about them, and heck you still see people fondly remembering the Ghost Stories dub as the pinnacle of humor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beamed posted:

Yo, it's toxic as hell to invoke whataboutism when people are on tape being homophobic, racist, etc. Multiple bad things can happen!
Dude, this isn't whataboutism. I am literally saying there is another example of people on tape being homophobic and racist, produced by the same company, at the same time these recordings took place. If you want to make an actual moral point of this then that fact would be critical to this.

Like the Ghost Stories dub is actually way worse, because for the longest time it was the only widely available English release of that show. And nobody is going to say Ghost Stories is a long lost classic, but imagine if you were a random Japanese animator who worked hard on a show and some random american licensing company decided, basically at random, it'd be a great vehicle for jokes about the jews.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheHan posted:

What the gently caress is so hard to understand about two things being bad. There’s no context where hate speech is justified and at the absolute least they should apologize. Goku isn’t real and he is not your dad, you don’t have to protect him.

They should apologize but it was twenty years ago and not meant to be released to the public. I don't think they deserve to get fired for it at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

To be a little fair to funimation, it's not their fault the Ghost Stories is dub is the way it is, that was ADV's decision. Ghost Stories did legendarily bad and Animax told ADV to do whatever the hell they want after they acquired the license and Discotek now owns western distribution of it, but a lot of the Ghost Stories actors are definitely Texas actors you hear in funimation poo poo.

Yeah, that is fair, but it's still a lot of the same people and it does fit into the same style of humor. That's my point. If you legitimately want to confront this than you have to confront how toxic the entire dubbing scene was at the time and what is/isn't forgivable as 'well, it was the early 2000s.' I don't think firing two guys would do anything to resolve that or do anything about the fact that ton of awkward things from those days formed the basis for a lot of modern stuff. The Berserk and FMA 2003 outtakes still get referenced constantly and, one obvious exception aside, those are all still the canonical english VAs for those characters. And I don't think those are quite as bad as these DBZ outtakes, but they still have Griffith singing camp gay showtunes after getting molested.

This isn't whataboutism, it's the literal opposite, I'm trying to say that this should be a chance to have a healthy conversation about what went on back in those days rather than just demanding the heads of two random guys and calling the matter settled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beamed posted:

It's whataboutism if your ultimate point - which it seems to be - is that the VA's shouldn't have to answer for the recordings because these other recordings exist
no, im literally saying the exact opposite of this, that the people responsible for these other recordings should be taken to task too, again at the very least via acknowledgment and apology. Like, I think the ghost stories dub sucks poo poo. The people involved in making it should apologize.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Dragon Maid dub literally downplayed every lesbian thing and the script writer called lesbians entitled babies who don't understand writing and nobody gave a poo poo, and that was like 3 years ago and not twenty.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Covok posted:

Persona 4, iirc, isn't the best with its gay and trans representation. IIRC, the trans man detransitions at the end.
Naoto was never a transman to begin with, she was just a woman crossdressing for practical reasons. Like Mulan. The issue is that they co-opted a lot of trans imagery for her arc and made a bizarre, fetishy point of showing her in a girls uniform at the end of her s. link and having like seven jokes about her having huge boobs that she had to bind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A safe place for our employees, actors, and fans from a #woke world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanji would be fine in a vacuum, his exact line is 'it doesn't matter if I like guys or girls' which is an alright conclusion to that character arc since it both doesn't go 'don't worry folks, he's straight' *and* doesn't go 'actually, liking to sew does make you gay,' the issue is yosuke can't go five minutes with him without making a gay joke for the first fourty hours of the game, and the resolution to that is just yosuke stopping, at some point. and he's in a game that's flanked on either side by games with the same writers and directors that make really lovely gay jokes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Wasn't there some cut content that was discovered a while back that pointed toward Yosuke potentially being a romantic option?
No. It's just Yosuke saying 'I never knew I had such heat inside...' in a vaguely sweet, romantic tone. This could be any number of things.

1) An alternate read on the Persona upgrade scene that they decided against.
2) Some method of pairing non-MC characters together. (This one would make sense to me, the game does setup some romances between the other party members. Kanji x Naoto being a big one)
3) Female MC. (They have said they experimented with this idea.)
4) Some sort of scene where Yosuke confesses to opening kill girl before she dies.

Justin_Brett posted:

The funniest thing about all this is that Broly the character is absolutely more famous than Vic himself, especially in Japan, it's not like he made the guy or anything.
even people who knew and liked vic didn't know he was broly until this all blew up, because broly is a character whose dialogue is 99% screams. The first time he had a real speaking role also coincided with all this blowing up. It's just not a character he's super associated with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

If you mention this on Twitter randos will absolutely come into your mentions. One guy indignantly told me that the Japanese REALLY DO care about outtakes because A) a Japanese voice actor didn't understand the humor in outtakes from Your Lie in April and B) Studio Khara refused to work with Funimation after the Eva 3.33 dub. The first one is who cares, the second I'm pretty sure the person is conflating a couple of things together but was also not related to outtakes.
Heck, the second thing wasn't even really related to the dub, period.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Koalas March posted:

It was a dumb and lovely thing to do and if it was just in the past they should apologise and move on and if they're still doing that poo poo they should be fired.
This is the opinion everyone in the thread has had?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Anakron199X/status/1162025787559743489

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Old fanfiction groups literally hating women is one of those very strange phases of the internet that's somehow mostly been forgotten.
old fanfiction groups hating women and also other non-fanfiction groups hating the women that wrote fanfiction

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/mogudan555/status/1186359649659867136

the best buu form dont @ me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fanfiction owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I legitimately think that Minus' rationale for Bardock doing what he does makes infinitely more sense than the special's.

In the special, no one seems to truly mind working under an overtly racist monster until Bardock is shot with premonition powers.
Haha yeah, nobody would ever work under a racist monster in real life, that makes no sense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Saiyans are idiots. The math checks out. Bardock was just the least stupid in Minus as opposed to exactly as stupid but shot with magic brain powers in the TV special.
I like the second one better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If it was Namek that'd actually tie everything into a very neat bow but there's probably dialogue that contradicts that.

edit: and also Nail would have murdered all four of them anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a universe where the movies are canon and they revive hirudegarn instead of frieza and he just steps on people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly half of that image could actually happen in a super robot wars game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

give us tiencha or go to hell

CharlestheHammer posted:

Technically piccolo is new character but we just pretend that didn’t happen.

Like that Simpson’s episode with Skinner
nah piccolo more like, absobred kami and nail, not so much 'fused' with them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the destructo disc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tfs really should have ended at cell, im not excited for the buu stuff at all. it was already getting long in the tooth and buu is both insanely long and already really goofy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun fact, the director of the last episode of super is only like, 25-26, and she talked about how she wanted to show the world the power of animation

i think she succeeded, lol

also my favorite reaction is the absolutely *rapturous* cheers when goku gets that last gasp of super saiyan. people joke about transformations being over done in dbz and i agree but i think when its used in ways like that its a great shorthand for how much energy/power someone is exerting. goku notably was in base form the entire fight up to that point and that super saiyan flickering was like 'this is literally all the energy he has left and hes gonna make it count, get hype'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 16, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like in tree of might when they set up all of turles's goons against yamcha, krillin, chiaotzu, and tien

and literally all of the earthlings lose and goku just soloes those guys in two minutes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's pretty good representation of the Saiyan Saga.

of all the criticism of the saiyan saga you can make 'the earthlings dont do anything' isnt one of them considering freaking yajirobe manages to save the day

also world's strongest is cool just because roshi gets to throw a punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only original dragon ball movie id recommend watching is mystical adventure, and thats just because its a decent movie