Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Toriyama's editor hated semi-perfect Cell so much that he requested that he be in as little content as possible.

Edit: Toriyama is basically anime George Lucas.

Toriyama sounds like an extremely humble dude that would probably admit gladly that he made DBZ a worldwide beloved cartoon/comic basically by accident though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The major difference is that Toriyama has always been based af regarding his series, so him just going “uh, not-midoclorians???” isn’t this sudden tragedy because it’s from the man that gave us the elite commando squad the Mlik Rangers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Today I learned Adrian Barba, the guy who did a couple of Dragon Ball openings on the Mexican dub and also a shitload of other animes, did his own covers of the newer dragon ball songs
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClg3m4du98ZfbyDanpV0cYg
And they are loving fantastic

This dude’s version of the Dragonball OP is loving phenomenal, Latin America was lucky.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I mean, that’s not terribly surprising given it’s probably the real reason goku’s tail is gone. Although Dragonball is such a well drawn comic that I feel like he gets a pass for being on an entirely different level than most of his peers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Saiyan isn’t really much less dumb than just a direct literal translation, imho.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

The original crossover was perfect because if I recall correctly it was during a high stakes moment in the Red Ribbon army saga and Goku just fucks off to Penguin Village and takes all the gag characters in perfect stride

Dragonball was pretty much a gag manga at that point, the transition to a full on punchmans comic didn’t even start until King Piccolo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I went to college!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Also, "Strongest Under The Heavens Martial Arts Tournament".

I have no idea who did the manga translation but christ I'm not a fan of it

Tbf if your complaint is the names, they’re probably grandfathered in for consistency. I’m pretty sure the DBZ part of the manga was done first and by all accounts that’s just kinda rough all around, whereas Dragonball’s is pretty top tier all around for being good at actually translating the dialogue and jokes, the thing That Matters in a gag comic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Idk I found a lot of DB boring. The tournament was fine but the red ribbon arc sucks outside Mercenary Tao

The anime? Because the manga RR Arc is basically one of the most fun arcs in shonen period imho, it’s literally the perfect middle ground between dumb gag manga DB and punchmans comic King Piccolo-era onwards DB/Z.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Like I want the movie to end with Goku and Broly and Vegeta realizing they're having such a good time pounding each others' faces in there's no animosity left and Broly's like GET STRONGER KAKAROT AND VEGETA I WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR and of course both Geetz and Gokz are like hell yeah little dude and Frieza is just WHAT JUST HAPPENED

:yeah:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kin posted:

In DBZ i remember Goku spending about 50 episodes running on snake way and then 5 or something flying back to show how much he powered up. Did they do something similar in Kai? Like 4 episodes followed by a 5 minute scene of him returning?

It was kinda cool that it helped reinforce how much faster he now was.

Kai just has the occasional flash to Goku running on the road and him blitzing through the return trip is handled similarly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nanigans posted:

The thing is, the goofy Cell personality makes is largely a product of TeamFourStar and the games—not the anime dub. A lot of people tend to conflate them all together.

I mean, there is the line in Kai that’s straight up “does your pride not care for the taste of magical beans? [...]eat the drat senzu bean Goku”, along with Cell busting through six tv stations for his Cell games announcement, and him crying in agony after the Final Flash then just going, “okay, seriously now”.

It’s exaggerated but Perfect Cell loves his scenery like imperfect Cell likes his cities.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know that when Frieza and Goku are actually trading blows it's going super fast, faster than the human eye could follow. And the vearious plots, Goku fighting Frieza, Gohan getting Bulma to the ship, Kai and Kami figuring out what to do with the Dragon Balls, were happening at the same time.

But even taking all that into the account, I still feel like this fight has gone on for way longer than five minutes.

yeah, that’s an issue in Kai too, the original just takes it to meme levels.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

TFS' cover of Spirit Vs Spirit in the most recent episode is actually legitimately good.

Here's the full version if it hasn't been posted already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXOdYTZdWy4

It’s good, but the real definite version is most def the Mega64 one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I thought they had broken up by the last martial arts tournament which is why Bulma was all holy poo poo Goku got hot

TBH I’m pretty sure they’re an on again/off again thing for like the entirety of DB, until Z when he fucks up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, as someone that enjoys TFS’s poo poo but has never dropped a penny on them yet I’m cool with them doing whatever at their own pace given, you know, they have their own poo poo going on and it’s not like the editing and overall quality haven’t improved since even Namek.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Goku never stole anything from Vegeta, did he?

I think Goku even outright says the Galick Gun is basically a Kamehameha, and since that was stolen and all...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

No one ever stole the spiral part of the special beam cannon :smith:

I feel like the special beam cannon is still like the only move besides Solar Flare and Kienstructo Disk that’s just manipulating power in such a way that it lets you hit above your weight by having it do a specific thing, and since the latter got stolen that’s really cool.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shindragon posted:

I very much enjoyed they all thought the same thing seeing Goku flickering in and out of SSJ was a very

Goku’s hair flicker is almost the kind of thing you need someone to point out but realizing he’s that burnt out without anyone drawing attention to it is like a third of the reason that sequence is so sick.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Goku punching Yamcha so hard he bounces off of the manga panel is still one of the funniest things to me

Toriyama is real real good at writing actual humor even beyond the iconic poo poo like the Ginyu Force, I think the silent sequence of Colonel Purple hiding underwater and Goku boiling water and pouring it in the bamboo pole he’s breathing out of is my personal fave.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

The best version of dragonball is the manga if it ever got an actually good translation

The official translation of volumes 1-16 are good, and there’s no Kai for them at least!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

re: finances

wasn't it stated that goku and chi chi live off money goku won in the martial arts tournaments growing up?

I think goku only ever one the one with piccolo, and I kinda doubt it would be enough for him anyway since 12 year old goku are his way through Roshi’s prize money abs all

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheHan posted:

Goku failed to mention how he was gonna let every Ginyu member live, and Vegeta is the true hero.

Tbh Goku letting people that wished him bodily harm/death usually works out pretty well!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Okay seriously how hard would it be to replace the Ultimate Battle song with the Japanese version in the Funimation episodes for someone who does video editing or whatever? I might be willing to put money on it.

Apparently it’s generally pretty easy to do that kind of editing with dub tracks on Blu-ray’s because of how they audio works or whatever, so it’s honestly fairly likely that at some point someone with just make it outright

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nanigans posted:

There's a reason he stuck around despite Toriyama never liking him and intending to kill him off.

Reads right to left:

I'm a big fan of Toriyama's modern style. The cartoony look is so much more appealing than the muscley Androids-onward designs.

I love how blunt and borderline self-depreciating this is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently they have not had a ton of luck with that. Some things I've heard suggest that DBZA really made it hard for them to get legitimate jobs while other things are that they're kind of egotistical and won't take the 'crap' jobs that regular VAs do. In either case that is why they're trying to push their own content and go down the Rooster Teeth route.

“Crap jobs”? Like, what’s a crap job for voiceover work, genuine question?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It depends. Sometimes it is bit parts or sometimes it's taking a voice in something you genuinely would rather not have to work on. Like how Troy Baker basically said "no more anime" after he became popular enough he could afford to turn down projects. Pretty much any voice actor you can name takes crap jobs (including frequently uncredited or pseudonym credits jobs because voice acting is lovely and abusive in a lot of ways) and it helps build them up as reliable and to form networking connections, the latter of which is basically essential to keep getting jobs because if you end up being a problem you're hosed. (Like our good old friend Legally A Literal Piece Of poo poo Vic.)

Now see that’s the confusing part, like as far as I was aware dealing with poo poo like commercials and bit roles was the norm with, say, some voice actors like Chris Hackney having the range they do and saying they work an office job 40 hours a week on top of voice acting. So the idea of a “crap job” seems beyond absurd for guys who are most well known for their glorified fandub of a series, unless they were taken out of context or whatever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

excellent bird guy posted:

fwiw I have Dragonball Recut fan edit. I'm trying to get through it but it's been a hard stick. Flows well though. It's interesting to have the subs on with the dubs, the sub writing is extremely superior than the words coming out of the English characters.

Tbf the old dub script was a pretty big reason the dub actors were stoked about Kai being a thing, it’s something they recognize as a problem with hindsight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh I misunderstood and thought you meant Z, sorry. Well hot drat then, I should probably add that to the “when I get a laptop again” list of poo poo to do, I fuckin love the Dragonball manga but the anime kinda drags

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

I don't think you have to be pure of heart, I think the Nimbus just hates Roshi

I don’t think Bulma or Krillin can ride it either. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if adult Krillen could, he’s a lot nicer than lovely little kid Krillin.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheHan posted:

General Tao killed the first one and Goku was afraid he'd kill the new one just by powering up, as a team member it'd be only slightly more useful than Tien.

Iirc it was actually some Red Ribbon goons that blew up Nimbus the first time but it turns out it’s a fuckin magic cloud so it didn’t take.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Petiso posted:

Yeah, Col.Silver shoots a bazooka at it and Goku assumes it's gone but the old people in Jingle village tell him nimbus clouds can't be easily destroyed and when he calls it appears as usual. I guess Toriyama planned to have Goku use other means of transport to make the arc feel more adventure-y but then changed his mind making all this pointless (except for the gag of the pilot robot freezing over after bragging about robots not caring about cold).

That was a pretty good gag to be fair. Also Goku wouldn’t have been able to flex on Muscle Tower as hard if he could just fly to the end boss

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wow, I know it’s a movie and all but Jesus that entire sequence is beyond gorgeous.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Time for a volcanic take, Toriyama is a fantastic artist but an awful writer and he wrote ~2 good arcs in this entire series in King Piccolo and the Saiyan Saga

I wouldn’t say awful, like maybe awful at specific things like plotting but if we’re extending that take to Dragonball and not just Z then most of his characters are likable/endearing (or at least funny when they’re not meant to be either like Bulma).

Also hot take, Red Ribbon arc is the best arc in shonen for being the perfect hybrid of action and adventure before he went all in, idc how good Chimera Ant or Ennes Lobby was.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel like there must be a shitton stockpiled somewhere or other. Kinda hard to meme Dragonball post-Super though since it’s hard to top poo poo like The Yamcha Hole Again.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

multijoe posted:

The ToP extended universe was one of the funniest things ever to come out of Dragon Ball so I can't agree with this

It’s not really a meme if it’s trying to be funny, is what I’m saying. Like Goku popping out of the wall like the freaking Kool-Aid man because he hears about Vegeta training is like, already so much of a meme/parody thing that I almost wouldn’t believe it was an actual thing the Super people did if it were just screenshots and not clips of the dub/sub.

Not that that’s a bad thing, it super isn’t.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Say what you want about DBZ's ridiculous escalation, it keeps things interesting.

Dragon Ball Kai?

Dragon Ball might benefit from a remake/adaptation with better pacing if we could trust literally anyone to not massively gently caress it up and miss the point of what people liked about it in the first place.

From what I can tell Kai was mostly faithful to the manga so all you’d have to do is cut out stuff that wasn’t in the manga. Which is problematic in practice since Kai gradually starts integrating more filler and Kai: The Final Chapters is only like 50% faster than the original iirc and worse handled in general aside from the new dub iirc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Dragonball has its problems but it is overall an incredibly well done manga. The story is kind of a mess but the moment-to-moment characterization tends to be incredibly good and Toriyama has an incredible flare for mixing drama and humor that a lot of other Shonen stuff doesn't quite manage to match. It also helps that his panelwork and general artistry for the Dragonball to Z manga was phenomenally good and even a lot of Shonen that is otherwise quite a bit better tends to fail in this category. If a lot of what it does seems unimpressive it is because it was copied so much that what made it unique isn't quite as striking anymore, but even now the manga by and large *stands up* to anything that has come since, even if maybe it isn't as good in a lot of areas. Even then I would have a hard time pointing to all but a small handful of shonen manga that manage to use effective panel layout and structure to communicate a battle as well as Toriyama does. Even modern popular stuff like Naruto or My Hero kind of suffer for this and benefit a lot from cleaning up in animation, whereas Dragonball's animation adds some excellent moments but the manga stands on its own perfectly fine.

I like some manga a lot better (I will stand by Fullmetal Alchemist being a near-perfect adventure story) but it's really hard to deny that Dragonball was the work of someone who may have not been the best at doing long-term plotting but was an absolute master at doing comics.

It’s always been pretty funny to me that Toriyama irl is basically singular at panel composition and largely adequate at worst at weekly plotting when a lot of modern shonen try to push for the dynamic of an untalented/relatively unremarkable protagonist overcoming a world of gifted geniuses (although some kinda utterly fail at it like Naruto).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s not really even defendable since the same author wrote another trans character in HxH who’s only misgendered in-universe by people that are assholes, so even he realizes that was a bad thing he wrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be honest I don’t think he thought very much about her outfit besides “she should look like her viking dad dressed her”.