Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

where's the poll?

also, to the guy who said tien is the only human to survive the human extinction attack, tien's not human

If you're part Latino part alien but born in America Earth you are an American human, you horrendous Trump Freeza supporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

lezard_valeth posted:

In her defense, haven't you ever had an insecure friend that's asking you every 2 minutes "Hey, I'm not being a bother am I?"

You're assuming goons have friends.

Caulifla was just too focused on having a good fight because she's fem!Goku, that poo poo just happened to trigger the LSSJ form (the L stands for lesbian). She's actually closer to early DBZ Gohan than she is to Broly, really. I don't think she was there to job to Jiren either, I think Jiren got a good shot in on what was basically a Goku hate machine. DBS has been all about how fighting smart can defeat power levels, and Kale is the epitome of not fighting smart.

Caulifla going "THERE'S A SUPER SAIYAN THREE????" was dope.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

nobody in super is even remotely similar to early dbz gohan

Kale is a timid motherfucker that gets really strong and mad when her big strong pal is threatened.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Broly had a hate-boner for one person, Kale has a hate-boner for like anyone that looks like it's gonna take Caulifla away from her, figuratively or literally speaking.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

she's timid; gohan was too scared to fight. that's different

timidness is being afraid to do poo poo dumbass

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

kale is literally fighting people when not hulking out. she's not like gohan, who would literally just stand there and act scared until he got mad

kale was getting punched in the belly repeatedly while doing weak-rear end lemme go strikes

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

they just gals being pals

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

Gohan doesn't have a timid personality at his core. He's a pretty normal kid early on. He's reluctant to be the ultimate Saiyan battle warrior and poo poo, even if he kind of has to be because the world's in danger, but he was a driving force in the early Namek stuff.

He was still timid early on, but basically because he was like, 5? I just think other than her form, Broly is pretty far from what Kale ACTUALLY is. Kale doesn't hate ONE person, she hates anyone that wants to take Caulifla away from her. She's not held back by exterior forces, she's just not an actual fighter unless she's real mad. The whole "insane potential but can't tap into it willingly" just adds to me thinking Gohan too. I don't think she's gonna be a direct equivalent, but she's kinda past just being fem!Broly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Burkion posted:

Oh God

Could you guys imagine

Gohan getting so pissed off that he goes LSSJ?

Gohan is not a lesbian and as we've established L stands for lesbian. :colbert:

(although I wouldn't be surprised if we get a berserk Gohan moment. Hell, Trunks basically went all white eyes way stronger than usual during the Zamasu arc)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spiritus Nox posted:

Kale's alright, but Caulifla owns and I hope she gets past Super Saiyan 2 before the tournament's up. I also loving love that all the reasons R/Dragong Ball dorks are going to hate her are the exact same reasons Goku was having a loving blast fighting her. Seriously, I love how impressed he is with how easily she transforms. "Wait, wow, you figured out SSJ2 just like that! Oh wow that's rad! Think you can make it to three?"

Again, Caulifla going "THERE'S A THIRD ONE???" was fuckin' dope and I hope she does it before she gets rung out. The whole Trunks fake SSJ2 form thing was cool too. She's the daughter Goku always wanted to have.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

if she does get it, the only vindication is if she immediately realizes it sucks and switches back to 2

wonder what she'll think of gohan's super form

"wait how did he do that ooh he had to sit down for hours you just have to make your BUTT tingly!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RealFoxy posted:

Kale looks up to Califa and that's it. Let's not go full reddit here

Kale is super gay for Caulifa tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
RealFoxy, yah, they are just gals being pals, you're completely right. Just a weirdly jealous blushing berserk gal being a pal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Junpei Hyde posted:

"gokus not owned! gokus not owned!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a senzu bean

Small adjustment for thematic purposes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jedah posted:

To be able to watch Cabba go SSJ and then copy it immediately, and then to see Goku's SSJ2, and copy that immediately, requires a certain kind of intelligence. Maybe not traditional Bulma/Gohan research & book smarts, more like possessing strong instincts and extremely high combat intelligence.

That's just Goku Brains, who's always been depicted as a fighting savant.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
lesbians confirmed for going beyond super saiyan and reaching ULTRA SUPER saiyan power, I'm very proud of them

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like how they're depicting most universes on an even-ish power scale, where there's a couple of outstanding individuals and the others are just real good at doing their single thing/working in tandem with others. The Pride Troopers are strong, but mostly because they work really well together and have Jiren/Toppo to sweep things up, otherwise they still get destroyed by sheer power..

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also it turns out Saiyans are really weak against getting hugged from behind. Please, Goku, that's twice already.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

This best thing about this arc is the rapid fire variety of villains They just finished fighting Power Ranger knock-offs and now they're fighting the Sailor Scouts.

One day we'll get to the Eva-inspired group and some poo poo is gonna go down.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

Yeah, not going to lie, that was a weak, kind of weird revelation to gain power.

Eh, it's her directing her hatred towards her inability to act and fight alongside Caulifla rather than towards people that might "steal" Caulifla from her. It's thematically appropriate.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

he just sounds like an old lady to me. no clue how he's supposed to sound like a hillbilly just from listening to his japanese va

I don't speak a lick of Japanese, I only watched Z with the Brazilian dub which has a similar direction to the Funimation one, but I get simple and rough from Granny Goku pretty easily just from his inflection. As I said before Granny Goku grew on me, going back to the Brazilian voices for the second movie was kinda weird.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Raxivace posted:

Dragon Ball is enjoyable in all of the Romance and Germanic languages IMO.

Nothing is "enjoyable" in German, you liar. Their Vegeta is probably dope tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Raxivace posted:

Of course German Goku would become more powerful by turning blonde.

In the German dub they become axis allies and besties after this scene.

German Vegeta is less funny than I hoped he would be, except for the original voice which is oh dear it's not great - also apparently German Spongebob, tying yet again DBZ to that cartoon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

IceBorg posted:

In Portugal it was the same thing, with Goku being Songoku in like a single word.

Piccolo was also called "Corancãozinho de Satan" that translates to something like Satan's Heart. And Buu was renamed to "Buu Buu"

Between this and the PARABAINS sequence in Eva, I think I love Portugal dubs.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

It's kinda odd how DBZ became part of the Latino/African-American youth zeitgeist, I can't even completely explain why that was. I think it was just being at the right place at the right time with like nothing to do, so everyone watched it on TV. Even my best friend's GF, who's as far from a nerd as you can get saw the Ressurrection F poster and recognized Freeza.

This is cute and good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there's gonna be a Netflix Saint Seiya? that's wild

It's CG, which makes me go eeeeh, but yeah, it's still a Netflix Saint Seiya show (which is going by Knights of the Zodiac so you know it's appealing to Latin America very hard) so we gotta check it out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I Ran is a cool song but c'mon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3e2wwyjUCs

Blaze Dragon posted:

Are you surprised? The last Saint Seiya game had a bunch of dubs in it, which is very unusual (and greatly appreciated, it just isn't the same without the voices of my childhood, even if some were changed). I wish more franchises took that effort to appeal to us, I'd love it if, say, the next Dragon Ball game just so happened to have Mario Casteñeda and René Garcia (and everyone else) in it...but it won't happen, sigh.

I'm still holding on to hope for some different voice options in DBFZ. Arcsys does character announcer voices, and even if it's DLC I could see them putting out language packs, considering how big DBZ was around the world.

Too lazy to look up the quote about Knights of the Zodiac probably being the international name considering the American dub was called that, but I still think they would've rebranded it as just Saint Seiya if Knights of the Zodiac didn't stick everywhere else - which I guess kinda defeats the point of arguing it's not the international name, but it shows how popular that poo poo was outside America.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'd say read the manga because the original series hasn't really aged gracefully. It's pretty standard 80s shonen fare but it has some cool moments (Ikki is basically Sasuke but good so everything he does is dope), but it's been a WHILE since I watched/read it. Kinda wanna do a re—read now, to be fair.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
17 being the epitome of "I don't give a gently caress" fighting against Sailor Nyan was great. Vegeta reflexively dodging Ribrienne's attack because he couldn't deal with that poo poo too. But we really need more scenes with 17 and 18 being ruthlessly efficient and so tired of this stupid poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fargin Icehole posted:

Just let us get somebody other than goku to win please

and no, monaka doesn't count, rear end in a top hat

Hey, we've been getting "people other than Goku wins" for most of Super, I wouldn't be opposed to a clean Goku win now. It'd be cooler if Gohan got a W, though. Hell, maybe Roshi utilizes his 300 years of fighting experience and sidesteps Jiren into a ringout.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gohan just punched a fat guy off his feet, I'unno why you all talking poo poo.

Also lol at the idea that the supposed tactical mind in U7 had a strategy to defeat a gimmick that boiled down to "get hit and hit back". Gohan is more of a brute than Goku, this is the second time in Super he goes "what if I just hit back harder?".

Oh, and apparently that thing is real. I wonder exactly what explanation we're gonna get for it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm surprised the Hellzone Grenade actually worked, usually moves that result in large dust clouds are legally required to be shrugged off like nothing.

If the tournament does go off the rails eventually and the last couple contestants challenge the High Priest, I wonder if Gohan's gonna be the main instigator. So far he's the only one who showed a level of remorse for playing a part in annihilating countless lives when everyone else only displayed shock and disbelief.

I was 100% sure Piccolo would get faked out and hurt after his Hellzone Grenade too. Dragon Ball: we're surprised when non-Saiyan attacks work.

Also Goku keeps getting hosed in every single fight. Almost got squeezed outta the ring, almost got tornado'd to death and now almost ate a budget Hellzone Grenade.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

pik_d posted:

I thought he was going to instant transmission out of the hellzone grenade, rather than 17 pulling off a repeat of his android barrier. Its nice that these things are unpredictable.

Me too, it felt like the obvious solution. Then it turns out he was just gonna take it because he's Goku and gently caress, I'll tank that poo poo for fun.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think "people fight the literal God of Everything that obliterates realities with a thought but is also a 5-year-old child" is what DBS is gonna pull off, but I'm kinda feeling a schism between angels happening. I'm not sure if they're gonna go for anything there either, but there was a VAST difference between how furry universe and U10's angels reacted to their dudes getting erased from reality. Plus the angels feel a bit more realistic as overpowered enemies and not just audience stand-ins (I still think Zeno is basically the average kid watching Super and doesn't give a gently caress about implications because he just wants to see their pal Goku punch random jobbers).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Piccolo is gonna get a Special Beam Cannon off before he's rung out. It's like, his move, and anime works by pro wrestling rules, matches don't end until you at least tease your move.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He already did one, him and all the other chumps threw out their signature moves the moment they showed up.

Fair enough, I think they already got it out of the way so everyone can job safely. 17 and 18 are gonna last longer because they didn't make the mistake of working WWE-style.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, I mean...it's dorky but it's not a especially ugly tattoo. :shrug: I'll take a chibi Zamasu over another stupid tribal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I suffer from Anime Hair Recognition Disorder, but that's basically just base form hair, right?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kithkar posted:

I did like what effectively amounted to: "watch out for his technique!" I DONT GIVE A FUUUUUCK IM BLUE!

yo listen up here's the story
about a little guy who has a little blue form
and all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is the dub cast just doing BS abridged stuff for fun now? I mean, that's dope if so.