Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what's OP referring to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Scott Adkins chews the gently caress out of the scenery in Ip Man 4 it's great

"I WANT YOU MAGGOTS FIGhTInG WITH SUPERIOR JAPANESE KARATE AT 0800"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

random question, I always wondered in Hong Kong action movies from the 80s-90s, when they had random white dudes show up did they speak fluent cantonese or was it dubbed

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a lovely king posted:

Not quite the same but when my grandparents were teaching English in China in the late 80s/early 90s, a movie rolled into town and picked out my grandfather (one of the few Westerners in the city) to be in the film. It was something of a disaster movie about plucky Chinese engineers stopping a dam collapse or some such, my grandfather played the arrogant Russian dam expert who poo poohs our heroes initially.

He never even knew the films name, and my family have really tried to track it down but sadly we've never been able to. He never acted again.

I tried asking the ID thread about a movie that was supposedly number 1 in china in recent weeks that was talked about on NPR and got nothing, so yeah good luck

If the Wandering Earth is any indication the Chinese still have a chip on their shoulder about Russia being big red brother

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Star wars 7 was incredibly egregious about this

Hell, so was master z in wasting Tony jaa

Captain Marvel

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

watched Ambulance

very middling I have to say

even for Michael Bay

he even puts a The Rock convo in it like Fred Durst does with Limp Bizkit in The Fanatic just to let you know it's all downhill from here

good thing I bought a ticket for Everything Everywhere using A List since they could use it more

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 11, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Last Action Hero is great but the only thing that bugs me is when he's in the real world and tears the door off its hinges

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“You would kill a girl?”

“Do not pay this man”

“These people lack honor. I just had to test if you were worthy first”

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I never really got into John Wick and i just really cant express what doesnt click...i saw the first one, liked it okay, think i watched one other sequel, but for some reason they all pass thru me leaving no memory. Compared to say, Collateral, which I cherish and remember well.
I know it's a premier action franchise tho and I do sometimes look up some of the sequel fights and think "that looks cool but im still not watching this movie". Dunno what it is, I'll just force myself at some point.

There’s definitely a diminishing return particularly with the world building

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They cast Ryan G and Ana de Armas but they aren’t even in a weird parasocial relationship

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gray Man is forgettable the only thing left is for The Culture to write 100 tweet threads about why Chris Evans' character is gay and Ryan G's character is gay and they are gay for each other

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

married but discreet posted:

I totally checked out of John Wick after the second, the worldbuilding was so cringey. They really forgot what made the first one so good - the concept of a man insanely brutally slaughtering hundreds of people cause they killed his dog.

see that wasn't even the worst part for me. Everyone kills people in broad daylight and civs either don't notice or look away which leads me to believe it's a world where people have to do wet poo poo like you drive for uber. Which is neat

the high table stuff? Oooh look at me I run the high table from Mt Everest aka The Highest Table

nobody gives a gently caress

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

Wtf were the Russo brothers thinking making gray man pg13

“Cha-Ching!”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

on topic of guys who go on killing sprees because someone offed their dog (or tried to), how's Equilibrium? I saw it on a bus but I didn't pay attention much, but one of the kills was really sick (the face lopped off one)

I didn’t want to see it at the time of release because I was offended by its Clear matrix coattail riding

It’s stupid fun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Southpaugh posted:

lol unsubbing from this thread because youse don't understand john wick films. loving hell guys.

mafia dude: "I need you to come back and make the impossible post" (a good one)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Is the slang in the first Mad max movie supposed to be dystopian future slang or just Australian slang? Not trying to make a joke, I am not very familiar with Australian slang.

idk but in FR they say schlanger and i aint never heard an aussie say it but if an aussie says you eat it, can probably figure it out based on context clues

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Speaking of which, I do like this version of the Predator. It took me way too long to realize that it is basically the mirror to Amber Midthunder's character - this is its first hunt too. I love the changes they made to its design, but I felt that they should have communicated better that it's really quite dumb and inexperienced as Predators go, and gets pretty chewed up on the way to the final battle - bit by a wolf, chomped and clawed by a bear, stabbed and shot by Midthunder's Comanche tribesmen, and messed up some by the French. Yeah it's strong and fast but it's also hurt and brutish. I also have no idea how it managed to kill itself at the end, or why it would use a laser-guided weapon when it has no idea where its lasers are pointing as its missing its helmet, or even why the helmet suddenly activated. But I guess it's just a sign that this youngblood Yautja wasn't ready for the big leagues.

I was confused too

that would suggest it really didn't know how its own technology worked and either she did, or she got REALLY lucky that the Yautja didn't

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

kinda came out of nowhere but a screening double billed (had to pay twice :shepspends:) with Creator was an Indian movie Kill which some of you might be down for

it's The Raid on a train

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I caught KILL earlier this month and it loving rocks. Very similar to The Raid but horizontal instead of vertical.

I actually did have a question

what happened with the mole guy who jammed the phones and promised to help with the hammer but stood by and did nothing? It looked like him and 3 guys wanted to jump off and the guys ahead of him ate poo poo doing it? It cut after he watched them do it and iirc he just never showed up again

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shageletic posted:

So basically Snowpiercer?

I still haven't watched that

if Kill is anything to go by, Indian trains are weirdly egalitarian

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how bad is land of bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I enjoy movies about movies more than most so those aspects are fine to me but it def got bogged down a bit in the beginning with the relational stuff which is ironic because they would joke about the edit though more in a "can you believe they want to edit down perfection?!" kind of way that those kinda movies can get about themselves.

Few things muddled the motivation to me too. If Gosling (not remembering names sorry. Nature of movies about movies for me, esp with the added stunt versions of characters) was in physical pain and even disabled for a bit could he not be given some slack for being unreachable?

The mystery aspect did make it hard to know or care who the villains were though once revealedATJ being the bad guy was fun but probably needed more of that

The Journey trailer was honestly so much funner energy for me

Also 2 couples left during my screening lol

probably that aforementioned buildup in the beginning bored them to death