Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

There's nothing wrong with a cloaca, you can always use an enema first if it bothers you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Welp, got caught up with all my web serials. Time to start the wandering inn, wish me luck.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Affi posted:

I really like wandering inn. But I just have to complain again over the insane amount of extras.

I get it. Slice of life. It's her thing.

But do we really need to follow Merishs entire loving familytree? Couldn't he have been put in an already existing tribe with characters that already exist?

I'm very good at remembering characters and I've started needing the wiki just to keep things fresh.

Sometimes you just have to look at the insane cast of characters and grin toothily.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cicero posted:

TUTBAD Ch 12: So now we know what "symmetricalization" means. Interesting. Feels slightly creepy to me, but interesting.

I'm not caught up but there's weird references to symmetry in early chapters too like Alfric noting the two clerics are not symmetrical and that a person's guts don't have much symmetry.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I felt Verity's awkwardness in my heart.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Worth the Candle. Protagonist fucks the deer slash magic druid nature god grove genius loci which is kind of childlike but also vast and unfathomable and all that, I made a stupid joke about how at least he didn't gently caress one of the other characters, who has a cloaca, so it's not that weird.

I mean I think he did that too, I can't remember? But people were arguing about the first case.

He didn't gently caress the dwarf with the cloaca although the dwarf did want to gently caress him. Alternate Juniper did gently caress all of his party members though, even though one was a jellyfish or octopus or something.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Did Beware of Chicken ever get more editing? I quit a while back when several chapters were riddled with typos.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Peachfart posted:

My only Patreon web serials are still TWI and Ar'Kendrithyst, so you can see my favorites. Though I have been thinking about adding in the Outcast series because it is just that consistently good.

Outcast is real good. Generally I don't read serials that are RPGish down to hit point totals but the premise was interesting enough to get me reading it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, Tori can be an rear end in a top hat too like when Victoria's old acquaintances didn't believe that she'd really changed. She called them bitches even which felt really jarring because firstly, they're all kids and secondly, Victoria didn't just change personality, she had her entire personality overwritten by a 40 year old woman from Earth.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I couldn't do any of that poo poo but I can cook for myself. Good thing I don't read/watch isekai stuff so I'm not sick of that trope yet.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Probably a reaction against all the web serials where the MCs are murder hobos. Then healing hobos got popular although I only know of two healer web serials personally.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

navyjack posted:

Huh. I have passed over that story several times as I periodically forget what the title stands for, find out again, and “nope no harem stories.” Maybe I’ll give it a shot.

What does it stand for?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Zore posted:

A Very Cliche Xianxia Harem Story!

Well, I guess there you go.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What are the good harem stories because the one mentioned a while back reads like feminism personally murdered the author's dog or something.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

btdem: Also Elaine didn't know for sure that the hosts were enslaved. Her oath wouldn't let her kill sapient beings just on supposition.

Edit: I do agree her leaving is very abrupt and somewhat out of character both as a healer and a sentinel.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 15, 2022

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Rage of Dragons is also a real book and not ever a web serial afaik. I guess it's on that list because it's a weak protagonist exploiting a loophole to become super strong.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

I bet you all can guess which story's author wrote this:

War Queen?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Man, I really should've listened when people said the ending of the Fifth Defiance was bad. It's such a massive cop out that I regret reading it in the first place.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I don't think so. Near the end of story, the author does start up a separate cyoa story set in the same universe.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Listening again to the best Evanescence song ever made.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if TWI goes on for decades, becoming the first work of fiction to reach a billion words.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

TUTBAD Maybe they'll stop now, I blame Verity.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah Ark is good but I'm irrationally irritated that the author uses 'small words' to mean a small amount of words, quiet words AND words of little import. And they say that phrase multiple times a chapter now! It bugs me. Maybe it's because I only started it a few months ago so I read through a lot of chapters at once.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

These Ar'kendrithyst chapters seem to be getting increasingly long! I'm into the early 70s now IIRC. I think all the stuff with Jane and the unicorns was only one chapter, somehow.

It's amazing how it still manages to stay engaging, though. The only times in the entire story so far when my attention has wavered have been when he first studies enchanting and when he's making the light slime dungeon.

In the most recent chapter he became all fit and limber again thanks to Rozala's Recovery and its pissing me off because I'm 36 (turning 37 in less than a month) and trying to get back into regular weight-lifting and finding it much harder than it was when I was 23.

Have you tried just being a wizard?

Also yeah the new tutbad chapter was good. I liked Ria saying that Cate was arguably stronger when in the actual fight she just got bodied without doing much actual damage.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Einander posted:

It mostly made sense, in that the politics have mostly settled down, and outside of large-scale organization, there's not much left that can threaten Erick. It does make me wonder if the last arc is going to do an even bigger time skip straight ahead to Yggdrasil's seal breaking and the preparations for new worlds, though. Maybe that's part of why Erick got Reincarnation: it'd be super depressing to get to that time skip and hear that Poi and Theresa and Kiri are dead. (Jane would probably become immortal anyway somehow, she's kind of a powergamer.)

I'm pretty sure they mentioned polymorphing as a path to immortality at some point although you'd have to give up your identity for it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I stopped reading Tori cause it was boring but isn't she asexual? I dunno if it was stated explicitly but it sure seemed like it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Does Quill and Still ever get any less obtuse? It seems like every chapter is filled with people saying Very Important things that I don't have the context for or significant glances that have the meaning of a thousand words. Even the MCs understanding of things isn't explained much. Also there's barely any alchemy.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, same. Thanks for the thoughts, there's enough good web serials out there that I'll drop it rather than trying to power through it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Looks like Is Insanity a Racial Trait is back to the main storyline, can someone give me a sum up of the side story?

The scientist that tried to dissect Jason, Valmight, found the god bracelet and is now able to level. He was doing experiments to see if you can merge a human and a blight but basically it turns you into a monster. Jason finds one of these people, a wrestler named Dinoman, and convinces him to help.

Jason, Dinoman, his military handler and his girlfriend go after Valmight and nearly die to a robot/blight/human hybrid. Valmight gets away but Jason's girlfriend steals the robot's magic gun that can curve bullets. Fortunately she's an Olympic level sharpshooter so she gets to keep it.

Valmight also resurrects Baker who immediately escapes but he's going to die unless he agrees to help Valmight or the gods. Instead he plays some soccer with some Brazilians and realizes being human is cool. Jason and his crew come to Brazil chasing Valmight who has a new plan to kill everyone in Brazil or South America until he hits level 99 and can kill the gods.

Jason and Baker fight then they switch eyes and get powered up. They then work together to kill Valmight even though he's super overpowered from combining science and magic because Jason was a pro tennis player. Jason tells the gods to gently caress off. The End.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Wow this sounds like it sucks rear end and I'm glad I skipped it, thank you for your service :zpatriot:

You're welcome. I can't say I liked it much but I also didn't want to skip a side story in a serial I otherwise enjoy. The comments seemed pretty positive though :shrug:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Most web serial authors that use bemused seem to think that it's a synonym for amused. I try not to be a grammar nazi but that one really gets my goat along with droll.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

I have so many better things to get angry about, like reined/rained/reigned and regime/regimen/regiment and pallette/pallet.

You forgot palate.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I thought the pith author had some serious health issues, did they ever come back? Anyway speaking of cliffhangers, player manager has the most dogshit cliffhangers I've ever seen. In general, I don't mind cliffhangers if it's an interesting situation that I want to see resolved but every cliffhanger in player manager is just super lazy, blatant poo poo like 'little did I know that I was about to make the worst mistake of my life.'

At this point I assume it's a joke, like the author notes, but it's also actively bringing down the serial for me. Otherwise it's strangely engrossing even though I have no interest in football.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah that's fair, it was very YA. Sometimes I do just wanna read something safe and warm. :3:

On which note, I think I'll unfollow from Bioshifter, interesting idea but falls into the same trap as, uh, basically everything else they've written.

What trap is that?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

That's a real shame, I liked slumrat but yeah, it's a real scummy thing to do. At least now I know what was up with the shout outs every chapter. Every chapter had one and there was no way Warby was reading that many web serials.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ramie posted:

I have been more dissapointed by Twinned Destinies. There were some surprisingly decent bits of writing in Speedrunning the Multiverse, the author's previous work, so I wanted to see what it would look like with some breathing room. The author intended it be a more sedate work, but it's not really reflected in the text. Really, the pacing is identical to the early stages of the previous serial.

I'm disappointed that apparently Rue's family are all idiots and don't question that she's eating a ton of raw meat and dressing like a weirdo.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cicero posted:

So the new Thresholder arc/world started and this time the theme is nomadic mecha people (people who use mechs, not people who are mechs) on a hostile planet which seems pretty cool. I appreciated the previous world's take on cultivation. Managed to feel somewhat non-standard while still being reasonably true to the bones of Xianxia.

Yeah, I like the concept of a planet with a narrow habitable zone that you have to follow. It seems kinda familiar but I'm not sure from where.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What the hell, the Public Universal Friend is real.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cicero posted:

Great Thresholder chapter (79) today discussing the ethics of shooting a baby. Honestly if one comes through a portal, I say go hog wild, but it looks like Perry might be opposed.

Marchand is the best character in Thresholder. I also love Perry's repeated attempts to convince March that magic is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Evanescence makes such good music that even a 14-year-old with no musical training singing their song is a transcendental experience.