Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

By the point they started interacting with the lich beyond a fight at the invasion, they were time pressed and also getting lessons from him.

It makes sense not to go phylactery-hunting at that point since it would probably block getting lessons and end at least a few loops early when they got killed (Zach probably should have done it back when he thought he had infinite time though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Delve, Chrysalis, and There is no epic loot here, only puns are all full of stat boxes and reasonably entertaining.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I enjoyed Threadbare and didn't know about the other two. Did Small Medium finish? The author's fictions page lists it as "Hiatus". I don't want to commit to it if it's going to remain unfinished.

It had a real ending. Royalroad apparently automatically does a 'ongoing' -> 'hiatus' transition and switching something to 'complete' requires interacting with their support system (which is a sign of how often web fiction ever actually finishes).

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Pact vs Twig:
I read all of Pact and dropped Twig partway through, but what I read of Twig I liked more. The thing I didn't like about Pact was how undefined all the magic was. Once it got past the beginning, I never had a sense of what anyone could do. There'd be a problem, then sometimes they'd easily magic their way out of it, sometimes they couldn't, and sometimes some unexpected weird thing would happen, but never with enough pattern for me to get a sense of what options a character would have in a future situation. I was reading it for a plot driven story (as opposed to like a magical realism atmosphere thing), so having stuff resolve or not at the whim of how to get the next plot beat was unsatisfying.

LLSix posted:

I enjoyed Beware of Chicken, except for the fighting parts. Which made me realize I'd really like a story focused on farming. Are there any stories like that?
Guy isekai'ed into another world, is overpowered, and decides to live a simple life farming is one of the most common anime isekai plotlines. They're mostly trash though. Maybe ask in the wholesome isekai ADTR thread if you're willing to read translated? (different from the terrible garbage isekai thread)

Speaking of Beware of Chicken, I liked the part in one of the recent chapters where the protagonist introduces knitting. The native is like "This is slower and worse than a loom, but doesn't need as much equipment and you can do it while traveling, so cool (but the mittens you made are still terrible)". Plus the note at the end about hand knitting only becoming widespread in real world China in the 1920s. That's the best execution of otherworld-protagonist-introduces-technology I've seen.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PoorWeather posted:

To push back a little on the idea that there is no justice and terrible stories succeed while good ones fail on RR, I'll say that the majority of readers who consume the schlock-content and push up its numbers are probably very low-investment. Mine is performing like ridiculously badly on all of those metrics, but it hasn't stopped it from having slowly becoming financially successfulish, though it obviously doesn't compete with the stuff that puts massive backlogs behind a paywall.

A lot of the RR things I read are fodder for killing time while climbing stairs/treadmill running. Quantity and not having to think hard about prose are positives are worth a lot for that

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

I wouldn't have know that all those characters are supposed to be underage if you hadn't brought it up. They mostly read as young adults to me.
Might have to reconsider my recs.
On the other hand, I stopped taking seriously any author's statements about their character's ages during the peak of "technically 300 years old".

I was also reading them as young adults. Broccoli is implausibly naive about relationships/innuendo for an adult, but also no one in the story is questioning her/her group traveling by themselves, carrying weapons & dungeoning, running a bookstore/shipyard, and doing politics. She seemed more 'homeschooled ultra-mormon goes off to college' than kid to me.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

For Pith in particular, the weirdest thing to me is a strange but very setting-specific moral stance one character has. It's needed to make a lot of the plot go, but it's weird and other characters in the story specifically call it out as weird.

Plot details: The story has people's souls being movable between bodies (either natural or factory-made). Because of :capitalism:, Anabelle is in a falling apart body that's going to die from a stroke/heart attack at some point in the next few months. She's willing to kill people, including in active ways with plans like "break into this building, kill the guards, then search the place", but is unwilling to swap bodies with those same guards instead of/before killing them. Eventually it gets resolved by the plot maneuvering her into a situation where a swap more directly keeps one of her friends safe, then she's fine with it. (as opposed to before when she's just indirectly endangering them by doing stuff while semi-crippled and potentially dropping dead at any moment)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Spoiler is about romance/sexuality in MoL The story as a whole will devote approximately nothing to romance of any kind. There's very rarely an occasional bit with a girl Zorian had a crush on in the past, and you've probably already gone through most of Akoja's presence in the story (she's barely even a tertiary character).

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

In a reversal from standard webnovel, one of the things I disliked about Kairos was the lack of slavery. To me, it's distasteful/whitewashy in the same way as making a US plantation-era south (but skipping all the slavery) themed story would be.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Cicero posted:

I don't understand. There's slavery in the story, it's just distasteful to Kairos' culture because their origin story is basically escaped slaves from the Roman Empire, I think? So he personally doesn't condone slavery, but other cultures in the world do have slaves.
I think I dropped it before getting to that point? The parts I got to were just ancient greece themed piracy and then city life (except without a third of the population being enslaved). I mostly dropped it since the story didn't really grab me, the slavery thing was just an additional niggle.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It mostly reminds me of Pith

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

That mostly seems like advice for serial fiction generally that's inherent to the format. It'd still apply to (and you can see evidence of things like it in the structure of) older serials like Treasure Island or The Count of Monte Cristo

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

And the autopsy will reveal that they died in 2010 :spooky:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Beware of Chicken
Xianghua pulled open Gou Ren’s shirt further, exposing his abs. “Behold!” she proclaimed.

lmao

Xianghua is the best.
It's kind of interesting how the bombastic personality that we, the readers, like her for is also supposed to be a conscious affectation she puts on so that people in xianxia-land like her better. Also brings up whether she's dropping it around Gou Ren in private like she does with her brother

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

TUTBAD is sort of a sequel to Worth the Candle, right? Is it readable without going through that because drat I could not mesh with that one at all.
I haven't read Worth the Candle, but I am current on and like TUTBAD

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I appreciate that everyone who knows the protagonist thinks he's a loving idiot who read too many books and needs to take antidepressants. Normally an edgelord character like this is either unchallenged or proven to be right in some way by the narrative. In this case, he's objectively just mentally ill lol.
The protagonist also thinks that about himself, he's just limited on meds and therapy by poverty, family crises, and the plot happening.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

All of those things sound like they're about dungeons though

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

the difference is Shakespeare was funny although you need a mountain of context to get most of it
Depends whether the actors make jerkoff motions or if you have to figure out if something is a dick joke on your own.

It's always a dick joke

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

From the author's note at the start of flashback #2, I think he agrees it doesn't flow well, but it's a serial so can't go back and move sections around now.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

TUTBAD: This Used To Be About Dungeons, But Now It's About Relationship Drama

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

TUTBAD: Time to summarize the characters in one line each

TUTBAD 134 posted:

“No,” said Alfric. “Imagine that you’re her, and that you’re responsible for disappearing somewhere between three dozen and two hundred people, maybe even more. You’ve been doing this entirely in secret for a number of months, being careful to evade a cursory pastwatch, manipulating memories so that no one can tell on you, all that other kind of thing. If someone comes to you with questions, what do you do?”

“Kill them,” said Isra.

“Flee,” said Verity.

“Seems extreme,” said Mizuki. “Cate seemed nice, even if she was a little insistent. She could easily have stolen the dragons, if she was malicious.”

“You deny everything,” said Hannah.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Meta-wise, splitting up the leads and removing Lan Fen from the plot would be weird since a lot of the story so far would become semi-pointless. In-story, it'd also be weird for Lan Fen to pull the trigger on annulling the marriage since she's still trying to keep a low public profile and that'd be a big signal that she has independent resources/cultivation back

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

yeah this TUTBAD arc has been dragging really bad
Isn't this arc the end-the-book arc?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The law largely doesn't care what tools you used to create some art. Ultimately a copyright infringement case is going to have a judge/jury looking at the two end products and deciding if they're too similar. It doesn't matter if the copy came from someone handpainting it or from a model regurgitating an image it was fit on. Independent creation is a defense, but similar things are presumed to be copies unless you can prove otherwise, which is a high bar (e.g. songwriters do lose cases where some little bit of melody is similar to something in an old song because they can't prove they never heard the first one)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

TTOU

It does seem like it's setting up for extra people (which I think is kinda a cop out), but 2nd crew doesn't make sense for who. They can't chronosleep twice, so they'd have to have been hiding for over a year for no particular reason, then pop up for this specifically.

For Aspen's arm, wasn't that from the deep tissue DNA samples he volunteered to get taken?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

TTOU
I don't mean it's a whodunnit copout; I agree it's not really that kind of mystery.

Suppose the killer had immediately confessed. There's still an interesting messy N-way conflict: "[Crewmate Aspen personally likes] did the murders because they think Renn's philosophy is abhorrent and dangerous. Aspen is torn because they agree with the motive, just not the intensity of the reaction. They also don't believe in the death penalty in general, and certainly not for this killing that's semi-justified in their mind, so they're going to be in conflict with Sands, but the ship also has no practical way to punish anybody short of execution."

If the actual murderer is a 3rd party that can be metaphorically/literally kicked out an airlock without anyone feeling too bad about it, it's sidestepping the whole big thorny interpersonal conflict with an easy solution

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Prank by Mother?
SS68 Revenge from Earth Contract after he sassed it about bag storage

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kyoujin posted:

SS69 Public Nice we got the chapter in one big chunk. The chainer family definitely has plans for Alden. Was Hazel specifically calming him before the conversation or just evening him out and it happened to be the calming wordchain debt?
A fun twist would be if she didn't actually do anything. It would be very unlucky if she just happened to be standing there when Alden's debt evened out so that he got mad at her for no reason, but maybe she's just paying off the bad half of a luck chain

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I think that is still just branding driven. They wanted a single overarching brand name to use, and did it awkwardly instead of relying on the intrinsic repeated phrases.

Original titles:
- Higuarshi no naku koro ni => When the cicadas cry
- Umineko no naku koro ni => When the seagulls cry
- Ciconia no naku koro ni => When the stork cry/cries

Whoever decided the official english titles apparently didn't trust that people would figure that out as a cohesive brand and threw them all under a "When they cry" metabrand attached to a single untranslated word for the specific novel line. (And to be fair, "Casual consumers browsing a list of things to potentially buy are idiots with no generalization skills" isn't a terrible assumption)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Einander posted:

Okay, this is the point where I'm starting to agree that the current SupSup arc is getting a bit long in the tooth. (SupSup 100) It just didn't really do anything for the plot over all, and I'm including establishing/deepening character relationships and the arc of Alden's superheroic development the general emotional vibe in that. Everything that happened here has been covered before, so if you cut it and summarized it with one paragraph, I feel pretty confident that the story would feel the same on both sides.
I think it depends on how it moves from here. I think it's fine if all of the recent stuff is basically establishing "This is what Alden's day-to-day school life is like. Now timeskip a month or two and the story will resume. Extrapolate his friendships and capabilities accordingly." sort of like how intake worked. If it moves into another drama plot (e.g. demon island or Maricel doing a runner) at the same pace and granularity, it doesn't work as well.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kibby booped Alden's face enough that he realized he could see his nose. This gave him access to nose-based magic, at the terrible cost of always being aware that he can see his nose.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Bremen posted:

Yeah. From the sounds of it (SupSup 114) no one ever intended to make Lute think they'd let his mother die, that was just Hazel being utterly horrible. Then Jessica found out he was afraid of it and decided to use it to motivate him. I can give her a little credit that yeah, she was worried about her son dying, and also part of the whole family brainwashing that Chainer is by definition the best thing ever, but still, that was a big betrayal.
I'd be pretty generous to her about being afraid of Lute dying. Shaper's death rate is apparently big enough for Lute's dice thing to be upsetting and make kids cry. If Lute refuses Chainer, Aulia is probably not burning resources to get him Rabbit instead, so Shaper is probably what he's ending up with.

"Trick your kid into taking the safe thing and maybe they start hating you" vs "They take the dangerous job and have a 10% or whatever chance that they die young" isn't a straightforward choice. Plus, Lute is supposed to be a 14 year old middle schooler at this point, which is well in the realm of being an idiot child who shouldn't be making massive life-altering decisions

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Supsup Author error from being bad at big number worldbuilding seems like the most likely explanation to me. It isn't plausible that there have been enough grandkids for the chances to be known, but enough characters that ought to know better haven't brought that up

Ytlaya posted:

Also, as I mentioned above, two "whiffs" marrying each other isn't that strange. If anything, they'd be far more likely to gravitate towards one another, due to the social pressures we've seen Lute experience. I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least like 50 children like that. IIRC the rate of "whiffs" is something in the single-digit percentage (maybe as low as 0.5%, but maybe that's the "rate of Avowed among globies," can't remember), and that still works out to a significant number of people.
I don't think Anesidora is old enough for social pressure to matter. The Artonans showed up in 1960s, and being required to live on the island is younger than that. Most people in the middle of a Super => Whiff => ? generational pattern are going to be predating the island during their young adulthood, so they'd be unlikely to even have other Whiffs around to pair up with.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 18, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that confuses me a little though is that, IIRC, (non-patreon, only really spoiling this to be on the safe side)Joe gave similar advice.
I think Joe's advice is concerned with what you're buying, not growth rate. You might grow faster by frequently rebalancing to stay 1:1, but to do that you're buying lots of little piddly enhancements. Joe is suggesting saving up to get fewer but bigger things. Even if you're getting authority xp at a slower absolute rate, it's better in terms of getting impactful abilities

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Haystack posted:

Ahahaha, just sunk in that in Super Suportive, the Artonans gave humans hereditary superpowers and super-expensive immortality. They might as well have just stuck humanity in a big jar and shook it up if they were gonna be that committed to seeing humanity tear itself to bits.
Parts of this seem adjacent to story setting conceits that don't actually make sense, but you shouldn't think about because they're necessary for the plot:

- Kids worldwide are getting scary/dangerous/valuable magic powers. There is international agreement that the best way to handle this is to formally revoke their citizenship and obligations to their birth countries and consolidate them in a new nation state that will have a de facto monopoly on magic powers. And it's hereditary, so soon all the superpowered people will also have no cultural ties or loyalty to anywhere else.

- Early Contract negotiations apparently prioritized making those kids as destructive as possible, even though nobody actually wants that. Brute is the most common power, mid ranks are almost never summoned, and no off island nations want them. Stuff like Rabbit or Healer are in high demand both on and off planet, but are rarely given out.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

SupSup 127: Someone mentioned in the comments that Maricel may have received a message from Jacob about something related to his escape attempt(s). Like maybe he ran into trouble or something. I think that sounds pretty plausible. The main alternative theory is "she was summoned." I speculated about it maybe her sibling being selected, but that's pretty far-fetched so I doubt it's the case.
Something Jacob related seems likely to me, otherwise a lot of Maricel's homesickness stuff is kind of pointless with her mostly dealing with it without Alden ever doing anything or even really being aware of its severity

Ytlaya posted:

If an authority sense was something Avowed could just stumble into, it would have happened already.
But what if Jeffy is the most awesomest dude ever?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sup128 There's been a bunch of page count for it and the kids care a lot, but from the school's point of view, all the obstacle course stuff is just two random gym classes they slapped together at the last minute when Big Snake was unexpectedly absent. The results or teams aren't particularly important or permanent.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 133
Alden has a weirdly large collection of bones from his friends now.
I disagree. He only has bones from two of his friends. That is one of the smallest friend bone collections you can have.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure that it's the result of an "authority scream," though. It might be (and I won't be surprised if it is), but it's also just possible that the knights were sent to help now that the chaos issue has been dealt with (and/or now that Alden is in actual mortal danger).
My guess for a cause would be the flyer with a dead not-Alden guy missing an arm getting to its destination and somebody going "hmm, this doesn't seem quite right"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

SupSup 148: Another simple possible answer to "Why don't chainers superhero/superheroes chain?" would be "Lute is about to spend the next month knocked on his rear end and too weak to even get out of bed while he pays these off".