Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Total loving newbie, managed to get to T4 leather/spear+torch cus it looks cool and I'm reading Wheel of Time and I wanna be a loving Aiel.

Would love a guild invite.

IG: SkullAlBloodFyre

Discord: Skullaps

On a more serious note, is spear viable at all for anything I want to be doing? (Grinding fame and money solo/smallgroup + eventually ganking + zvz) Do I need to do greataxe to be gud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

Corla Plankun posted:

DUDE. I've been feeling like spears reminded me of a particular aesthetic that I couldn't quite put my finger on since I started playing, and this is totally it. That fucken Aiel vibe feels so powerful.

With this scrub t4 brown leather armour, feel like I'm in the Three Fold Land. It's a shame I'm getting non-useful vibes from them.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

Stanos posted:

Spears ate a decent nerf but they're still pretty good for small scale stuff and have a place. They just aren't super good for ZvZ or other big fights. The reason trinity was used in a zvz was to speed up demolition hammers to smash a hideout or gate quicker.

I would of figured that the heron stun would be good for stuff like that, but I guess there's significantly better cc's out there? I've seen some people say the twin blade staff is a good beginner zvz weapon? What role does it fill?

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
So with the overflow guild being full(there's really 600 goons playing this game?) do we have a tertiary one set up?

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Skullaps to 420

Can someone post one of the newbie friendly zvz healer builds? I saw in the Arch discord you're only allowed to zvz with one of the 'approved' builds, accurate? So may as well start leveling it up. Also is it possible to clear solo content with healing (staffs I think is the only healer option?) weps?

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

causticBeet posted:

Healing and Locus are the builds that are generally recommended for lower spec players. It’s always good to have more healers, and locus is powerful even at lower IP because the weapons unique E only scales cool down reduction as spec increases. Personally I find locus way more fun to play than heals, and will take less overall investment to be impactful/useful.

The biggest penalty you will face when you have lower skills is that your hp pool will be tiny and you will be aggressively punished for getting caught out of position. Your chest armor is the biggest factor here, so that’s probably the most important piece to prioritize getting some spec in. Weapons are also important since they will scale up damage and unlock different abilities.

It is recommended that you stick to the “approved builds,” and they tend to be good builds tailored for survivability/utility, which is what is important in large scale black zone ZVZ. With that said, the only real punishment for not doing so is getting snark on discord.

In terms of running solo content as a healer, you can, but not very well. If you must, the nature staffs are probably best due to the thorns ability. You would be better off focusing first on getting a PVE build to 100 mastery, which will farm fame credits efficiently, and then using this to allocate free XP into weapons and armor that isn’t as good for PVE content. Great axe is the popular suggestion here, but honestly you can use a bunch of different weapons and armor combos and do just fine.

Very useful thank you, that great holy build is what im running for arenas albeit only T4.1 . Will look at some alternative PvE builds to great axe as I've seen that and spinning around like a Beyblade just doesn't appeal to me. Last time I played I remember enjoying spear so I'll look at that + I've seen people use some kind of rapier(bloodletter?) I'm 5v5 and that looks really fun.

Not entirely sure in what to do currently other than the 5v5s. I suppose once I settle on a PvE build I grind that up to TV in yellow zone solo(green?) Dungeons? Or does gear tier +1 not apply for non healing Solo/PvE builds?

Sorry if these are basic questions and while there is endless YouTube videos out there I'd rather get advice from you lot. I'll probably be bugging whatever the newbie channel in discord is once I get accepted in-game and get roles!

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

FormerFatty posted:

One thing to remember is that your gank set (double bladed staff/claws/1h frost + graveguard armor + fiend cowl + hunter shoes, etc) does NOT need to be leveled up as you dont need a ton of great stats to kill some poor farmer 20v1 :)

If you ever need money, just ask GluttonySDS for it.

I can't help but feel this is a trap. Anyway why would someone tip healers? Do they not get loot/fame/silver from assists etc?

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

Matty posted:

They get fame from assists, but as they are at the back the loot is usually (not always) gone. Also if a healer saves your rear end, you better tip them!

Combat looting is allowed? Or its just not something that can be controlled?

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

FormerFatty posted:

We're not anal about people looting really -- its a video game... so as long as youre fighting/pushing, loot away.

p.s.

If you need money, trade gluttonySDS.

Appreciate that, I'll hold off on that for now, I only just managed to get T5 armour for my healer today so I grabbed 3 sets (I know its lovely gear) and managed to solo backpack to R3 while you guys kept them all busy during the EU reset. Primed for the NA fights in a bit and will see how I do.

Still need to settle on a fame farming build. Trying to avoid greataxe as ideally I want to cross-train in to something useful for ZvZ/smallgang(other than heals) too, at least to start with before I experiment. I have a TON of questions about life in BZ's though. Do you stash all loot and run it back to ML during a caravan? Or sell on the local AH for local crafters/economy etc etc

Having a blast though, especially with WoW being kinda boring and Last Oasis pretty much dead, burnt out on Eve etc. This is scratching all my itches.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

FormerFatty posted:

I don't know much about FF as I dont really PVE much anymore so I will let someone else chime in with whats the best way to solo ff.

We run multiple caravans a day from R3 to Martlock and then from Martlock to R3 so just keep an eye out. Yes, most people stash loot from ff/ganking in the hideouts and then use the caravans to transfer gear -- you can try the hideouts (especially nemesis hideout in R3) but it will sell faster in martlock.

You should try doing the r3 police/ganks/defenses to get used to PVP though -- its WAY more fun than PVE and it doesnt require much FF until youre 100% capable.

Absolutely, the only reason I want to do PvE is to get enough fame etc for PvP. I have no interests in it other than that haha. Will hop in the R3 defense channel later and see whats happening, will look at some basic gank builds too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Did any Arch/Goons move to EU? Getting back into it now with the wipe hype and all. Need a big cuddly bz safety net to grind some pvp sets in