Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
That is the second or third description of a series that talks about "Cultivation." What is that intended to mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I came across this the other day. How accurate would you say it is?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Dunno, I can't actually read it.

Sorry, I'm not very good at this. I think the link should at least work now.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 13, 2021

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I hate shield hero so much. The main character buys a slave, forces her to fight terrifying monsters, and tortures her when she too paralyzed with fear to fight. Oh, and he buys her a happy meal one time. Now if it was me, and someone enslaved, tortured me, etc, I would really hate them. Also, I’d probably have lifelong ptsd. And, you know, even if they bought me a happy meal once, I think I’d still hate their guts. But slave girl loves the main character, in fact, that’s her entire personality. I can’t believe people liked this garbage so much they made an anime out of it.

Yes, I know, source your quotes, or whatever.

May I take a moment to bring up something, because I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone mention how horrifying a person Naofumi really is. Most people, if you told them that torturing a child was the only way to save the world, would be extremely reluctant. They would try to find any other way. Not Naofumi! He doesn’t even blink. Torturing a child is his FIRST plan.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 8, 2023

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
When selling your story to someone, be it a reader or a publisher, it helps to have a strong, easy-to-understand concept behind it. Even garbage like SAO was able to sell, because it had a strong, easy-to-understand concept (you're trapped in an MMO and if you die in the game you die for real). The bad writing, bad plot, lack of character development, invincible protagonist etc didn't matter. I've noticed a lot of light novels nowadays have extremely long titles that fully explain the concept of the story, and I suspect this is why.

Similarly, a story can get bogged down if you have to explain too much of the background at the beginning. The fastest way to get to the actual story is to say "Background: it's like dragon quest/it's like that other popular thing" and then begin the actual story.

Or I guess ripping off what's popular is the easiest way to sell.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 22, 2023

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Annointed posted:

Moayuu also doesn't have goblin rapist as a species so.

Maoyuu irritated me because everything goes way too smoothly. Just as an example, 300 untrained laypeople and 100 soldiers manage to defeat 500 bandits with 0 casualties. Or the Demon Queen's plan to give people a smallpox vaccine and say it was invented by demons to increase people's trust in demons seems to work, rather than just making people shun the vaccine.

And I hated how the main character won't decide between the Demon Queen and the Priestess.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Most anime is made for children, which is why most of it takes place in high school or middle school.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

I want to read this one. Which one was it?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Want to read romance manga with progress.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have good examples of this? The only one I can think of is Bonnouji

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks, will check out

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

my favorite brand of manga reddit posts is "dudes who definitely just had a terse conversation"

Maybe there’s a Pride and Prejudice manga.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s tons of “Literature: The Manga” series but most of them are just western comics in a manga style. Except, somehow, the Les Miserables manga, which seems like a real passion project from the artist

Okay, but how much information about contemporary sewers does it have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I would like exactly 1 more hint as to why people are having the reaction they do to this manga before I consider reading it myself

The page where he's teaching her about humans and she's really surprised that humans only go to the bathroom privately is funny.