Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Back the gently caress up, Christmas! Halloween may be over but now it's time for :siren:NOIRVEMBER:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60YeQtMAH0U

This is the thread to watch and discuss all things ~FILM NOIR~

Neither a subgenre or a film movement, Film Noir was a mood. A mood that permeated throughout American cinema in the 1940s and '50s, from the biggest A-list pictures to the cheapest B-movies of the time. Named and analyzed afterwards by European film critics, noir was often categorized by its cynical attitude borne from America's post-war disillusionment, stark black-and-white cinematography derived from German Expressionism, and violent sordid subject matter from the hardboiled crime fiction of the '20s and '30s. After its initial wave noir continued to influence film-making, with foreign noirs in countries such as France and Japan in the '60s and Neo-Noir.

Film Noir honestly has the best track record of any film category IMO, and any excuse to dedicate a whole month to it is a good one.

Here are several Best of Lists for anyone interested in getting started or filling in any gaps:

TSPDT's 250 Quintessential Noir Films
IMDb's Most Popular Film Noir
Eddie Muller's Top 25 Noir Films

Be as strict or loose in definition as you like. Foreign, Neo, shot-in-color; all noirs are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Angel Heart is by far my favorite noir film. Mickey Rourke, Al Pacino, Lisa Bonet, voodoo and crime solving in N'Orleans. Good stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm on an Orson Welles high right now and wanna watch Touch of Evil again sometime this month. That opening sequence. :discourse:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s getting cold round these parts, probably about time to rewatch the best movie ever made, Fargo!

For other movies this month, I’m going to use Paste’s 100 Best Noirs Of All Time article, which came highly recommended by my dad, and from what I’ve seen from the list it’s pretty solid.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hey just wanted to say thanks for keeping the yearly noirvember thread tradition up!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For my first time in the Noirvember thread, I'm going to yell at people to watch Romeo is Bleeding this month. It sure as hell ain't perfect, but it's got Gary Oldman and Lena Olin being trashy as gently caress and I love it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've actually not seen a ton of Noir. I do own the Maltese Falcon on blu ray so I guess that's my main noir cred.

Anyway, I'd definitely be down to broaden my noir horizons, I'll check out some of these lists. Also, I've never seen The Big Sleep, which seems pretty essential.

Also, noir fans who haven't seen Inherent Vice should definitely check that out.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone who has Turner Classic Movies, every Sunday at 10 am they air Noir Alley hosted by Eddie Muller, this week they're showing Split Second.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

Also, noir fans who haven't seen Inherent Vice should definitely check that out.

This is a pro rec

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I screwed up in the October horror movie challenge by watching 51 movies and then completely failing to post about them, gonna try not to do that here! Over the last several years I've seen most of the best loved Noir proper (favorites include Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow Of A Doubt, and all the usual suspects), but I think this November I'm going to try and get a bunch of neo-noir movies in. Anyone have a favorite curated list of neo-noir movies that I should pull from?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not nearly as familiar with neo-noir, but I can recommend Body Heat.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

smitster posted:

I screwed up in the October horror movie challenge by watching 51 movies and then completely failing to post about them, gonna try not to do that here! Over the last several years I've seen most of the best loved Noir proper (favorites include Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow Of A Doubt, and all the usual suspects), but I think this November I'm going to try and get a bunch of neo-noir movies in. Anyone have a favorite curated list of neo-noir movies that I should pull from?

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/noirneo.htm

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

Angel Heart is by far my favorite noir film. Mickey Rourke, Al Pacino, Lisa Bonet, voodoo and crime solving in N'Orleans. Good stuff.

Robert De Niro, not Al Pacino. But, yeah, that's a good one.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
If anyone hasn't watched The Third Man, get on it. It's got Orson Welles, an entirely zither-based soundtrack, an incredibly tense and amazing climax and a final shot that's absolutely perfect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Kodiak posted:

Robert De Niro, not Al Pacino. But, yeah, that's a good one.

Oh God now my dumb morning pre-coffee mistake is immortalized in your quote of my post :negative:

gently caress that movie is good tho

Blisster posted:

If anyone hasn't watched The Third Man, get on it. It's got Orson Welles, an entirely zither-based soundtrack, an incredibly tense and amazing climax and a final shot that's absolutely perfect.

YES YES YES YES YES. It's my second favorite Welles movie, even though he didn't direct it.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Lady From Shanghai is one of my favorites, Welles is a lovable rascal and Glenn Anders gives an amazing performance. Touch of Evil and The Third Man are also great, and I really want to check out Journey Into Fear at some point.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 4, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a a decent list/link to a list of public domain noir? I remember downloading DOA from Archive.org a decade ago. Downloading a bunch and watching them on my PS4 would be tops.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a few underrated, but great noirs:

The Roaring Twenties - Might be considered more of a gangster film, but it's just as much of a noir. Cagney and Bogart are amazing. Directed by Raoul Walsh.
White Heat - Great film, but worth it if just for two of James Cagney's best acting bits ever. Also directed by Walsh.
Elevator to the Gallows - Louis Malle's debut feature is nearly perfect. Moody photography, Jeanne Moreau's best performance, and a score by Miles Davis.
The Stranger - Edward G. Robinson is an FBI agent on the track of an escaped Nazi war criminal played by Orson Welles. Directed by Welles.
In a Lonely Place - Bogart is a screenwriter suspected of murder, directed by Nicholas Ray.
The Narrow Margin - Cop protects a gangster's widow on a train. Minimalistic, yet suspenseful and smooth. Directed by Richard Fleischer.
Killer's Kiss - It's like a sleazy PRC noir with every shot looking like a Life Magazine photo. Directed by Stanley Kubrick (his second feature!)
Too Late for Tears - Countless twists and turns as a woman descends into murder and mayhem. Directed by Byron Haskin.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

This list doesn’t have Strange Days, which is a loving shame because I 100% think it’s a better sci-fi neo-noir than Blade Runner. It’s a really nasty piece of work, but it’s awesome. It’s also missing Brick, Rian Johnson’s first movie, which is one of those noirs where you lose the plot in the third act, but you’re still having a great time with it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a a decent list/link to a list of public domain noir? I remember downloading DOA from Archive.org a decade ago. Downloading a bunch and watching them on my PS4 would be tops.

DOA is really good is you can make it past the bad first act. There’s also Detour and The Hitch-hiker, which both own. I’ve heard The Narrow Margin’s good, but I still need to check that one out.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Thanks! I'll definitely work through some of these I haven't seen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s getting cold round these parts, probably about time to rewatch the best movie ever made, Fargo!

For other movies this month, I’m going to use Paste’s 100 Best Noirs Of All Time article, which came highly recommended by my dad, and from what I’ve seen from the list it’s pretty solid.

I'm gonna copy you and pull movies from Paste's 100. Here's the Letterboxd version. I've only seen 20 of the 100.

Here's the Letterboxd list of They Shot Dark Pictures, Didn't They, of which I've only seen 26.

Really looking forward to watching a few of these.

If anyone hasn't seen Out of the Past, I highly recommended. I saw it in theaters this year and it blew my mind with how much fun it is.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Was HUNDU's list of classic noirs on YouTube and Vimeo in the current genchat thread? In any case it's a great resource and there's a whole mess of great noirs streaming for free that way

I think it was all the movies he could find from the They Shoot Dark list. Someone else did it for horror too but that's not as relevant

Franchescanado posted:

I'm gonna copy you and pull movies from Paste's 100. Here's the Letterboxd version. I've only seen 20 of the 100.

Here's the Letterboxd list of They Shot Dark Pictures, Didn't They, of which I've only seen 26.

Really looking forward to watching a few of these.

If anyone hasn't seen Out of the Past, I highly recommended. I saw it in theaters this year and it blew my mind with how much fun it is.

I've seen only 43 of the top 200. I was kind of expecting it to be higher, i watch a lot of TCM

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 5, 2017

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Just finished Kiss Me Deadly and it ruled. Borderline surrealist in its best moments. Mike Hammer is a loving rear end in a top hat, and that ending... :stare:
Highly Recommend

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HES8eEUaBL0

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nroo posted:

Kiss Me Deadly
I agree with all the people that say that a good portion of David Lynch's works are drawn from the opening minutes of that movie.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I agree with all the people that say that a good portion of David Lynch's works are drawn from the opening minutes of that movie.

Oh absolutely. And Lost Highway clearly lifted the final scene's imagery almost verbatim.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
White Heat features a character named Big Ed and a character who constantly wears a hearing device, he must love that one.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

More references to noir in Lynch's work:

Laura (1944) starts with an investigation of the title character's murder and the sketchy men in her life. (Features a great supporting part from Vincent Price, if you're still in Halloween mode)

Sunset Blvd (1950) Lynch clearly loves this one. It was one of the movies he selected for a screening I caught a few years back, with the statement "I want to live in this world." The new season of Twin Peaks flat out confirmed he got the name Gordon Cole from the film.

Double Indemnity (1944) A small reference but a minor character in season 1 of TP is named after the protagonist, Walter Neff.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Nroo posted:

Sunset Blvd (1950) Lynch clearly loves this one. It was one of the movies he selected for a screening I caught a few years back, with the statement "I want to live in this world." The new season of Twin Peaks flat out confirmed he got the name Gordon Cole from the film.

You don’t even have to go to Twin Peaks S3, the title of Mulholland Drive and the title card in-movie are straight from Sunset Boulevard.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just watched Double Indemnity. It's great at building anxiety in whether or not the culprits will get caught, even though they totally deserve to fail. I didn't know this was a Billy Wilder film going in. Absolutely awesome, and the break-neck speed of quips in the first act was dazzling.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

I just watched Double Indemnity. It's great at building anxiety in whether or not the culprits will get caught, even though they totally deserve to fail. I didn't know this was a Billy Wilder film going in. Absolutely awesome, and the break-neck speed of quips in the first act was dazzling.

I really need to rewatch it, the only thing I remember was the constant use of “behbeh”

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I really need to rewatch it, the only thing I remember was the constant use of “behbeh”

Oh yeah, it's ridiculous, I loved it. Sadly it's not streaming anywhere.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nroo posted:

More references to noir in Lynch's work:

Laura (1944) starts with an investigation of the title character's murder and the sketchy men in her life. (Features a great supporting part from Vincent Price, if you're still in Halloween mode)

Double Indemnity (1944) A small reference but a minor character in season 1 of TP is named after the protagonist, Walter Neff.

How can you not mention Detour?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lemme get a noir wildcard, please, preferably something from the Paste list. I have Netflix, Prime, YouTube, and a library card, so nothing's off limits (unless I've seen it).

I'll take the first recommendation that I haven't seen yet.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Hey Noirvember, been awhile.

To avoid somewhat the usual suspects recomendations and the neo-noir stuff, which is not really noir :colbert:, some cool stuff I picked up during the old Noirvember threads.

Thieves Highway

Probably one of my favourite movies in the category of "Movies I would never watch if not for this dumb forum".

Made by Jules Dassin, but largely forgotten compared to his Night and the City and his French stuff, but for 90 minutes this one is pure dynamite. It stars Richard Conte a regular of B-movies and character actor, often playing side kicks or bad guys never really your idea of a leading man, but he gets his chance here and it's a shame he never made it really big. He almost ended up playing Don Vito in Godfather, but yeah Marlon Brando happened, though he plays Don Barzini in that so close enough.

You also have Valentina Cortese playing one of the great femme fatalles. And of course my main boy, the man that holds 12 Angry Men together, Lee J. Cobb doing a great turn as a an absolute bastard of a villain.

Film got everything you want out this genre. Shadows! Violence! Implied sex and adultery! Outdated 50's haircuts on women! Trucks! Apples! It's awesome.

So why is it that you never see it on the lists of the Greats, or even Dassin's work? Noticed how I said "for 90 minutes this one is pure dynamite", well the runtime is 94 minutes. The reason is that those 90 minutes are not up to Code at all. Cortese is most definitely playing a prostitute, even though the film doesn't state it, Conte's hero character is very dodgy, and it's all very seedy and dingy. Basically, our hero cannot marry a whore, so the movie closes out in a sequence of scenes that I can only describe as shot by someone else not involved in the production, or forced on Dassin, because holy poo poo not even the lighting matches the rest of the film. This is probably one of the more aggressive Code mandated ending I saw. I watched this years ago, and I'm still crushed by that ending, it's that much of a disaster.

It's still worth a look because when this movie is on, it's loving on.

Another cool movie is Murder by Contract. One of those pictures that Tarantino has been secretly ripping off from for years. But I'll let Scorsese hype this one for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTnaE0VA6ls

I think this is also one of those you can just watch on Youtube, cause it's copyright is long gone.

Sudden Fear this is a Joan Crawford goes batty pic, and there's a lot of those, but if you want to watch Joan Crawford goes insane then this is probably one of the better ones. I still like my review from the 2012 noir thread.

Electronico6 in 2012 posted:

Holy poo poo!

The Lineup I remember this being very well recommended by FitFortDanga, and it didn't disappoint. It starts heavy on the procedural boring stuff, but man Elli Wallach was the best and once it starts going it never lets off. At the time this movie was marketed as TOO BIG FOR TV, and it's real fun spotting all the TOO BIG FOR TV shots because these days it's so quaint.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 6, 2017

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Electronico6 posted:

Thieves Highway
So why is it that you never see it on the lists of the Greats, or even Dassin's work? Noticed how I said "for 90 minutes this one is pure dynamite", well the runtime is 94 minutes. The reason is that those 90 minutes are not up to Code at all. Cortese is most definitely playing a prostitute, even though the film doesn't state it, Conte's hero character is very dodgy, and it's all very seedy and dingy. Basically, our hero cannot marry a whore, so the movie closes out in a sequence of scenes that I can only describe as shot by someone else not involved in the production, or forced on Dassin, because holy poo poo not even the lighting matches the rest of the film. This is probably one of the more aggressive Code mandated ending I saw. I watched this years ago, and I'm still crushed by that ending, it's that much of a disaster.

This is quite sad. Reminds me of Ministry of Fear which has an obviously meddled with ending. It cuts from an extremely shadowy scene involving someone getting shot to a really bright and flat lit scene of the two leads driving in a car making jokes about cake.. Still another noir that's worth a watch though.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Blisster posted:

This is quite sad. Reminds me of Ministry of Fear which has an obviously meddled with ending. It cuts from an extremely shadowy scene involving someone getting shot to a really bright and flat lit scene of the two leads driving in a car making jokes about cake.. Still another noir that's worth a watch though.

I saw this one too back in '12 thread

quote:

The last 30 seconds also don't belong here, what a shift of tone and style. Which idiot saw that footage and decided "Yup! Makes sense for me!".

Ministry of Fear might be a middle tier Lang picture, and more of a spy pic than noir, but this is still Fritz Lang when he gave a poo poo, and in 1944 he was very upset about Nazis and what they did to Germany and Austria.

quote:

despite being set in London, and filmed in California, it's a film about Germany and Nazism, or more importantly, how Germany no longer exists. It's Nazidom now. There is precisely one slip up, either by the scriptwriter or the actor, but no character ever mentions Germany, or Germans, it's either Nazis or Nazi agents. Aptly the political refugees the film depicts are from Austria. I think a lot of this could be simply attributed to Fritz Lang, an Austrian, but how the rest of the film operates doesn't make it as simple. After destroying and erasing the German culture, the Psychology of Nazidom started to creep into it's neighbour countries, this is where the Austrian refugees come from, and now into it's bitter enemy, England. The Nazis have infiltrated various facets of English life, and are corroding the English culture from inside, and further more they have conditioned the English into accepting nightly air raids as a natural part of their lives. "Just hope they don't blow up the railroad! ".

I mentioned it back then that the film was ahead of it's time, but mostly in the context of WW2, not that it would remain ever relevant. For Lang Nazism is more than just a fascist nationalist movement or words made by men, but something more, something beyond borders consuming people and their countries. But for Lang and for the film nazism isn't paranoia, like how Communism would take shape in the American filmscape in the 50's. Lang's Nazis aren't bodysnatchers, they're eater of worlds.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching They Live By Night right now. "Jailbait" must have meant something different back then.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

Lemme get a noir wildcard, please, preferably something from the Paste list. I have Netflix, Prime, YouTube, and a library card, so nothing's off limits (unless I've seen it).

I'll take the first recommendation that I haven't seen yet.

Touch of Evil, I’ll say it, is better than Citizen Kane, it’s a really nasty movie, but is (40’s brownface racism aside) really awesome.

The Killing is a clockwork heist movie from Kubrick, with a tense heist scene and a fantastic ending.

White Heat is great, Cagney plays an extremely mean son of a bitch, and the finale is a classic.

The Hitch-Hiker is non-stop dread and tension from the beginning to the end, a great bottle piece with three great performances.

Gun Crazy is a neat one written by blacklisted Dalton Trumbo under a pseudonym, because of McCarthy. Great heist and some damning commentary on America’s love of firearms.

I picked some of the lesser-known ones I’ve seen, I hope you haven’t seen one of these!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Would Cape Fear be considered a noir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So Killer's Kiss is feature length, it's like, a legit film? I never watched it because I always thought it was like a short or a test film or something. But I have it sitting on my shelf, it's included in The Killing Criterion release.

• Locked thread