Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

So Killer's Kiss is feature length, it's like, a legit film? I never watched it because I always thought it was like a short or a test film or something. But I have it sitting on my shelf, it's included in The Killing Criterion release.

Not really, unless you're a big Kubrick enthusiast. There are points where you can sort of see that Kubrick magic, but at the end of the day, it's a no budget film with bad actors and amateur editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Touch of Evil, I’ll say it, is better than Citizen Kane, it’s a really nasty movie, but is (40’s brownface racism aside) really awesome.

The Killing is a clockwork heist movie from Kubrick, with a tense heist scene and a fantastic ending.

White Heat is great, Cagney plays an extremely mean son of a bitch, and the finale is a classic.

The Hitch-Hiker is non-stop dread and tension from the beginning to the end, a great bottle piece with three great performances.

Gun Crazy is a neat one written by blacklisted Dalton Trumbo under a pseudonym, because of McCarthy. Great heist and some damning commentary on America’s love of firearms.

I picked some of the lesser-known ones I’ve seen, I hope you haven’t seen one of these!

Thank you! I saw The Killing in theaters (along with every other Kubrick feature) last year, and it's one of my favorites. The rest are all new to me.

Basebf555 posted:

So Killer's Kiss is feature length, it's like, a legit film? I never watched it because I always thought it was like a short or a test film or something. But I have it sitting on my shelf, it's included in The Killing Criterion release.

Yes, and it's very good. It's still a little ober an hour, but young experimental Kubrik is fantastic to watch, because he still blows his peers out of the water.

I prefer The Killing, though.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 7, 2017

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Would Cape Fear be considered a noir?

The strictest definitions limit noir to being produced between 1940-1959, but many lists include it as a rare exception to the rule.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It's feature-length, but only a little over an hour. While it's a little rough around the edges, every shot looks like one of Kubrick's Look/LIFE photographs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sold, thanks for the screenshots. They very clearly tell me that it's worth a watch for a Kubrick fan.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Hitch-Hiker is non-stop dread and tension from the beginning to the end, a great bottle piece with three great performances.

Gun Crazy is a neat one written by blacklisted Dalton Trumbo under a pseudonym, because of McCarthy. Great heist and some damning commentary on America’s love of firearms.

The Hitch-Hiker is on Amazon Prime

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Touch of Evil, I’ll say it, is better than Citizen Kane

The first act of Citizen Kane is better, but taken as whole films, I would agree with this statement.

e: talking of The Hitch-Hiker, would The Hitcher be a noir film? I think there's a case to be made that it is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nroo posted:

Just finished Kiss Me Deadly and it ruled. Borderline surrealist in its best moments. Mike Hammer is a loving rear end in a top hat, and that ending... :stare:
Highly Recommend

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HES8eEUaBL0

Just watched the Criterion Blu. Awesome movie and yeah, I love how Hammer is a colossal rear end in a top hat to everyone.

It's funny to see how so many other films took stuff from this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kiss Me Deadly is :discourse:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

precision posted:

Kiss Me Deadly is :discourse:

Truth. That movie deserves a rediscovery.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
IIRC Cool World started out life as more or less a remake of Kiss Me Deadly

e: another classic that's on YouTube is Where the Sidewalk Ends

precision fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 10, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How does Kiss Me Deadly need a rediscovery? I've never read a book on noir that doesn't mention it. It's on TCM all the time. Hell when I took a noir class in college it was one of the main films featured.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's also the best song Billy Idol ever wrote :)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Raxivace posted:

How does Kiss Me Deadly need a rediscovery? I've never read a book on noir that doesn't mention it. It's on TCM all the time. Hell when I took a noir class in college it was one of the main films featured.

I dunno... More people should watch it is all. :downs:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just wanna drop in to recommend the Japanese gangster/neo-noir film A Colt is My Passport. The final showdown is one of my favorite scenes in any film ever and the film in general looks great. It also has a soundtrack that sounds like something out of a spaghetti western.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMXLqbUbPmU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The entire Nikkatsu Noir boxset from Eclipse is just excellent.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

this seems like the right place to ask - what're good books on film noir I can read? I'm less looking for encyclopedias of movies and more for analysis and history of the genre.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nroo posted:

The entire Nikkatsu Noir boxset from Eclipse is just excellent.
It's pretty dope. The titles of the movies alone are enough to tell you that they're winners.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

this seems like the right place to ask - what're good books on film noir I can read? I'm less looking for encyclopedias of movies and more for analysis and history of the genre.
I thought this one was pretty good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also I want to take a moment to make an unusual recommendation for a proto-noir in John Ford's The Informer. Ford is more known for his westerns of course, but The Informer has some dope rear end shots in it that wouldn't be out of place in the later noirs that would come about in the 40's.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Just finished watching Nightmare Alley from 1947, which had the perfect idea of being a noir that starts off being set in a second-rate carnival. The story mainly details the protagonist's amoral rise from carny to full blown spiritual charlatan. It runs a bit long but the plot keeps shifting so frequently it's never dull.
Highly Recommended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zW1uWX5ShE

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
After hearing about it for years, I finally watched Oldboy, and I’m surprised how noir it is. Park shoots it like Kubrick, mixing beautifully composed long shots with energetic steadicam, and it really gives the film lots of energy while making it look gorgeous. It’s bleak as hell too, but I extremely dug it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Also I want to take a moment to make an unusual recommendation for a proto-noir in John Ford's The Informer. Ford is more known for his westerns of course, but The Informer has some dope rear end shots in it that wouldn't be out of place in the later noirs that would come about in the 40's.

I love John Ford but I've never seen this one, definitely adding it to my list.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I really need to check the CD thread more often. I just wanted to put in a plug for my favorite noir;

I'm planning to watch Underworld USA tonight

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 11, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

After hearing about it for years, I finally watched Oldboy, and I’m surprised how noir it is. Park shoots it like Kubrick, mixing beautifully composed long shots with energetic steadicam, and it really gives the film lots of energy while making it look gorgeous. It’s bleak as hell too, but I extremely dug it.

Neither of them are noir in any traditional sense, but definitely watch Park's two latest movies, Stoker (written by Wentworth Miller, of all people) and The Handmaiden. They are two of my favorite movies of the last few years, and they're both stunningly beautiful and dark as hell.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Neither of them are noir in any traditional sense, but definitely watch Park's two latest movies, Stoker (written by Wentworth Miller, of all people) and The Handmaiden. They are two of my favorite movies of the last few years, and they're both stunningly beautiful and dark as hell.

Stoker is dope, it’s more Hitchcock than noir, but it’s beautifully shot and has some wild editing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Stoker is dope, it’s more Hitchcock than noir, but it’s beautifully shot and has some wild editing.

The Hitchcock influence is strong, right down to the costuming. I only saw it recently -- a random free OnDemand selection -- and was blown away.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hope nobody is expecting me to watch 30 movies in November too, because I definitely wouldn't survive that.

precision posted:

Angel Heart is by far my favorite noir film. Mickey Rourke, Al Pacino, Lisa Bonet, voodoo and crime solving in N'Orleans. Good stuff.
Angel Heart is great and one of the few noir movies that stood out to me so far. I love the idea of the genre but most movies I've seen never really "work" for me. Although I'm not one to dislike old or B&W films, I think the overall style of filmmaking might be a reason. Still, I'll definitely try to see a few more of the films recommend here.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Turns out Scarlet Street (1945) is on Youtube in HD. Edward G. Robinson plays a pathetic incel Nice Guy who's concealing murderous rage in this remake of La Chienne by Fritz Motherfucking Lang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cabJKweZty8

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

where are you all finding these movies to watch?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In true noir fashion we smuggle them in on boats in the middle of the night, preferably at a dock where shady characters gather.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
If you want more blacklisted Trumbo noir, check out The Prowler. Van Heflin is a cop with his eye on a wealthy married woman.

If you want more Van Heflin, check out The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, which is conveniently public domain. Barbara Stanwyck and Kirk Douglas also knock it out.

If you want more Kirk Douglas, Out of the Past.

If you want more Robert Mitchum, Otto Preminger's Angel Face is also great.Keep an eye out for Mr. Magoo himself, Jim Backus.

If you want more Jim Backus, uh, he has a memorable role in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, but that isn't noir.

If you want to say "Holy poo poo" at something somewhat based on true events, The Phenix City Story is pretty wild.

If you want Peter Lorre and a little movie a bit ahead of its time look at Stranger on the Third Floor.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Nroo posted:

Turns out Scarlet Street (1945) is on Youtube in HD. Edward G. Robinson plays a pathetic incel Nice Guy who's concealing murderous rage in this remake of La Chienne by Fritz Motherfucking Lang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cabJKweZty8

This was my introduction to Dan Duryea and he's a fantastic character actor.

Also as long as I'm double posting about character actors in noir I'd be remiss in not bringing up the wonderfully naaaaaasty Born to Kill. Lawrence Tierney is a murderous galoot and Claire Trevor is the woman who lusts him. Also starring Elisha Cook, Jr., Walter Slezak, and Esther Howard. Directed by Robert Wise, whose career astounds me whenever I think of it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

A decent amount are on YouTube because they’re in the public domain, and Amazon Prime has a decent collection as well. I’ve used my local library in the past to rent noirs.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

A decent amount are on YouTube because they’re in the public domain, and Amazon Prime has a decent collection as well. I’ve used my local library in the past to rent noirs.

This is one of the best (legal) ways to watch most classic (pre-70's) films, and especially things in the Criterion collection. It's an often under-utilized service, and depending on your city, they may even have a type of streaming service (or access to a streaming service).

Most people in the October thread that say they can't afford the challenge or don't have access to that many films almost never even consider their library. (My library has a really good horror selection, too.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Right after I made that post I requested Angel Heart and Kiss Me Deadly from my library, 420 rent movies everyday :cool:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah there are an rear end load of great noir films on Youtube, seriously.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Yeah there are an rear end load of great noir films on Youtube, seriously.

Are there any good channels or places to subscribe? Playlists? Anything to make it easier to curate would be appreciated.

Also, why isn't there an official noir thread?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I caught The Naked City off of TCM. The cinematography of 40's New York is gorgeous to look at, but I wasn't super into the actual investigation story and the third person narration that just sort of randomly comes in at times to do things like criticize characters for making a wrong turn during a chase scene just didn't really do a lot for me.

I'm guessing the narration is meant to evoke documentary filmmaking of the era, but in actual execution it feels kind of at odds with the realist aesthetic of the film.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
The Long Goodbye is such a gem and it has several conceits that give it its own feel and rhythm. I can't articulate it well but it feels exactly like a noir film that only Robert Altman could ever make (even though its cadence certainly influenced Lebowski, Inherent Vice, and others). The righteous Zen cool that Elliot Gould infuses Philip Marlowe with as a walking anachronism trying to make sense of the consumer sprawl of the 70's is totally inspired and is probably his best performance. The cinematography, score, and setting of the film all groove seamlessly to create a space for a hilarious and poignant depiction of the cultural stagnation that characterized the decade. The film is one of Altman's best and it's a relatively unsung gem of the New Hollywood era.

"It's alright with me."

edit: I think it's still on Filmstruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Here's an excellent and fairly comprehensive playlist of noir on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvnWlsNIciIlXJwNlgOFGnIf8IHdOjW_R

• Locked thread