Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sindai posted:

I'm glad Phos and their rock friends got to hang out telling stories and feeling good vibes for billions of years.

Surely the final chapter is going to be 108, right? It's gotta be.

Either 108 or 109 if we are doing a subversive thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I'm happy the rocks at least get to keep hanging out

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
can't wait until this immediately transitions into a 100 chapter tournament arc between the friendly rocks. this poo poo ain't ending, fake news.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

I legitimately have no clue where this story could go. I feel like all of the conflicts in the story have resolved. I'm not rooting for any character to do anything. Things are just kind of happening at this point. Or the story got like this several chapters ago rather.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I respect taking several months off for this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oh no really a hiatus until spring 2024 after a chapter like that?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

kittenchops posted:

I legitimately have no clue where this story could go. I feel like all of the conflicts in the story have resolved. I'm not rooting for any character to do anything. Things are just kind of happening at this point. Or the story got like this several chapters ago rather.

This manga should have ended several volumes ago. We're at To Your Eternity levels of overstaying its welcome.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

This manga should have ended several volumes ago. We're at To Your Eternity levels of overstaying its welcome.

you're at Taxi Driver levels of missing the point

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd say watch what you say about To Your Eternity!! but tbh I still never got much further than the end of the arc where the city is under attack or whatever.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's the arc after that where things go totally south

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This manga is epic!!!! :thumbsup:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Let's stretch this timeline to proton decay.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

How does Phos even know what a bridge is? I don't know if they've ever shown a bridge except maybe on the moon?

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
Could be from Kongo's other memories.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So there's only 3 more chapters to go in this series right? I've been waiting to catch up once it hits 108, but I forget if thats the official ending or just what people speculate because of its numeric significance in Buddhism.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speculation based on the mythology yeah.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Long have we waited.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Get in the spaceship Phos

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

is that the last original piece of Phos??? madness! this manga is so wild, I can't imagine it continuing from here what with Earth being obliterated and all. But I didn't see a big "end" text so I guess there will be another chapter? Safe travels, space rocks.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kittenchops posted:

is that the last original piece of Phos??? madness! this manga is so wild, I can't imagine it continuing from here what with Earth being obliterated and all. But I didn't see a big "end" text so I guess there will be another chapter? Safe travels, space rocks.

this was ch 105. It's almost assuredly going to end on ch 108 due to it's Buddhist themes (unless it does something subversive and therefore goes past 108)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe phos gets a happy ending after all. part of them gets to hang out as a cool rock with other cool rocks (as opposed to the gems who were all jerks), at least. as for the rest of the ship of theseus, probably not so much.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I realize ch 106 never got posted here

https://mangadex.org/chapter/8b70bdc9-4a31-49ac-83e6-09f7ab714df3

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
The next chapter has been confirmed as the conclusion.

I'm crossing my fingers for a s2 announcement soon...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait so it’s gonna reach 107 chapters and not the meaningful 108?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ccs posted:

To be fair, there's probably a thematical statement to be made about how it just fell short of reaching 108 given how the last chapter ended.

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019
Or maybe the 108 chapter will be tankoubon/volume-only chapter.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
107 is this month's chapter, 108 is the final.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The dangers of

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Im curious to read people's retrospective thoughts on the whole series once the final chapter comes out. Since I read most of the manga after the anime came out and then took a long break before picking it up again, I don't really have the full idea of what the plot is in my mind, but the overall impression that it lost the plot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ccs posted:

Im curious to read people's retrospective thoughts on the whole series once the final chapter comes out. Since I read most of the manga after the anime came out and then took a long break before picking it up again, I don't really have the full idea of what the plot is in my mind, but the overall impression that it lost the plot.

once the last chapter comes out i'm just gonna reread the whole series from the start yeah. The constant hiatuses really killed the pacing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the plot isn't what you wanted does not mean it lost the plot lol

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Unfortunately, what drew me to the series was the relationships between the gems. I get that the author lost interest in that community, but the loss of the supporting cast really dropped my enthusiasm. I think the second half of the comic might have worked better as a ( much much shorter ) light novel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Julias posted:

once the last chapter comes out i'm just gonna reread the whole series from the start yeah. The constant hiatuses really killed the pacing.

Yeah it's been 4 (!) real life years of what feels like an extended ending (everything past the gem massacre). It feels dragged out to follow it live but it's actually a really short period in terms of chapters.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 26, 2024

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I absolutely think it will work a lot better in a binge vs. the drip feed that has been the norm

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Squidster posted:

Unfortunately, what drew me to the series was the relationships between the gems. I get that the author lost interest in that community, but the loss of the supporting cast really dropped my enthusiasm. I think the second half of the comic might have worked better as a ( much much shorter ) light novel.

I think this is part of the intention of the comic. It's set up to establish ideas and break them. We start with a near-high-school atmosphere with a clumsy character who can't find what club she wants to belong to,it's just they're all gems, too. There's dangers and threats, but it's fairly light hearted.

Then we get the entire winter arc, we get the loss of Antarcticite, we get our status quo and our main character irrevocably changed. The entire conceit of what the manga makes you think it is keeps changing and that's ultimately I think the point of the manga. You spend so LONG wondering about the mysteries of the moon and then you GET there and--oh, it's ghosts, they're just kind of doing this to piss off Kongo.

Eventually everyone's on the moon, everyone's old motivations are gone, everyone's identities have changed.

Now everyone's prayed away, now the world is ending, now the universe is ending.

Our main character is a Theseus' ship of identity, why shouldn't the narrative itself also go through that, to where it feels like several different stories as it gains new contexts that destroy the ability for the old contexts to persist?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
All true and likely intentional! It's also just not particularly fun.

I was hoping for a payoff for Diamond's insecurity, for Cinnabar's keening isolation, for Rutile's obsession with reviving Padparadscha, etc. The series started with a wide engaging cast full of bubbly noise and quiet pathos, and now? Now it feels like even the author is exhausted with the work. Pray for me, author

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
houseki no kuni ch 1: if you see the buddha on the road, KILL HIM

houseki no kuni ch 107: uwu let us pway

the narrative definitely reached a tipping point where it went from being a scifi story about buddhist ideas to being an openly religious story. For me that was probably around the period where Aechmea and Kongo were revealed to literally be manifestations Yama and Jizo. From that point on, things seemed to stop being allusions or references and started being almost 1:1 religious correspondences.

Not a bad thing necessarily. But definitely a major shift, and for as protracted as the series's conclusion has been, once Phos turned into the godlike being, the overall trajectory of the story seemed pretty set in stone. Like, I don't think this final chapter is going to do some sort of big heel-turn and come out with a shocking antibuddhist critique.

My favorite parts of the manga were probably all the moon fuckery, especially everything involving Phos's identity shift upon getting Lapis's head. The imagery around those sections was very haunting and effective. But I really, really dig the latest chapters. Genuinely love to read a comic where a depressed deity, a cartoon fuzzy eyeball, and an assortment of inanimate objects conjecture about existentialism.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Squidster posted:

I was hoping for a payoff for Diamond's insecurity, for Cinnabar's keening isolation, for Rutile's obsession with reviving Padparadscha, etc. The series started with a wide engaging cast full of bubbly noise and quiet pathos, and now? Now it feels like even the author is exhausted with the work. Pray for me, author

L

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Squidster posted:

Most of those got resolved around the same time Phos destroyed the school, though usually on a bummer note (sorry if this sounds like summarizing what you remember, I'm just using this as a chance to make my own comments on things)

White Diamond realized their happiness could only be secured with the destruction of Black Diamond.
Cinnabar was finally accepted by the other gems. The scene where Red Beryl presents them with a customized pod so that they can hiberate with the rest of the gems seems like a quick joke, but to me it signifies that Cinnabar's problem could have basically been solved at any time if anyone put in a little bit of focused effort, it's just that nobody bothered because gems are kinda assholes like that.
Rutile basically goes insane, cradling Pad's missing piece but never using it. I was never quite sure what to make of this. Is Pad ruined in Rutile's eyes because they weren't the one to fix them?

Most of this is undone on the moon but for all intents and purposes they were killed by Phos and that is just their afterlife, and the above are the real endings to their stories.

I don't know anything about Buddhism so I have no ability to parse whether the series use of religion is a simple reflection of the author's philosophy, a set of symbols used to illustrate a more general story, or an aesthetic like the Christianity in Neon Genesis Evangelion for a purely personal story.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Ccs posted:

chapter 107 just came out this month (https://mangadex.org/chapter/8f535176-2539-4f85-9f92-d96c077f2810) - 108 is the final chapter next month