Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Poor phos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I think it's been down hill ever since Phos went to the moon. Before that, the series implied a very fun and interesting story that just never materialized. Of gems just hanging around and having adventures on the surface. Maybe Phos getting closer to Cinnabar etc.

Reading it and watching the anime. In my mind, I developed fragments of where I thought the story might be going and how fun and interesting it would be. 50 or so chapters on the moon later. It all kind of died.

I can't express is well, but I really mourn for the story that I thought I was getting early on.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
idk what you were all expecting because it was pretty obviously heading in this direction the whole time

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
On regards to the newest chapter, at least they have someonethey can talk to now , Rock-san seems like a nice person.

Feliday Melody posted:

I think it's been down hill ever since Phos went to the moon. Before that, the series implied a very fun and interesting story that just never materialized. Of gems just hanging around and having adventures on the surface. Maybe Phos getting closer to Cinnabar etc.

Reading it and watching the anime. In my mind, I developed fragments of where I thought the story might be going and how fun and interesting it would be. 50 or so chapters on the moon later. It all kind of died.

I can't express is well, but I really mourn for the story that I thought I was getting early on.

This is how I feel too. I really think not having a sea snail arc was a mistake, Phos interacting with creatures that could die of natural causes would've been good for them.

It also feels like the manga just throws all the other characters out of the window, and all the time that we spent with them feels wasted. I wanted to see more of Bort's and Dia weird relationship (Bort choosing breeding jellyfish over fighting was a good thing! Show me more of that); Rutile either get over Pads or just going all in on curing them;I wanted Yellow Dia to be happy, and just more of Benito in general.

To compound on all of that, the art just got lazier.Especially on the moon, there was so much sameface I couldn't tell almost any of the gems apart.Everything became flat blacks and white, and there was very little of the cool/other-worldly designs/shots that existed early.

Scallop Eyes fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 25, 2022

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Bocchi the rock.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Scallop Eyes posted:

On regards to the newest chapter, at least they have someonethey can talk to now , Rock-san seems like a nice person.

This is how I feel too. I really think not having a sea snail arc was a mistake, Phos interacting with creatures that could die of natural causes would've been good for them.

It also feels like the manga just throws all the other characters out of the window, and all the time that we spent with them feels wasted. I wanted to see more of Bort's and Dia weird relationship (Bort choosing breeding jellyfish over fighting was a good thing! Show me more of that); Rutile either get over Pads or just going all in on curing them;I wanted Yellow Dia to be happy, and just more of Benito in general.

To compound on all of that, the art just got lazier.Especially on the moon, there was so much sameface I couldn't tell almost any of the gems apart.Everything became flat blacks and white, and there was very little of the cool/other-worldly designs/shots that existed early.

all that stuff happened off-panel during phos' 10000 years of suffering. you wanted to see all these neat character interactions and development? well, so did phos.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The ocean is full of intelligent life and gems will keep appearing on the shores. There's no need for so much suffering.

Also bring back cute Phos.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Feliday Melody posted:

The ocean is full of intelligent life and gems will keep appearing on the shores. There's no need for so much suffering.

The story is fundamentally Buddhist, and sentient life is suffering. Literally and explicitly. Duḥkha and taṇhā, lets go with suffering and attachment, are the cornerstones of Buddhist thought. Surmounting them is the path to enlightenment. There aren't a lot of happy and fun stories about doing that. None of the people we saw, who no longer exist anymore, have truly found enlightenment. The only person left who could is Phos. Phos finds the rock and puts her attachments on it. Wouldn't you want to be this, isn't it better if you are like that.....but the rock is the rock, and is content with it's place in the world. And the world itself. She seems to understand something of the rocks existence, so perhaps there is still hope for her.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm disappointed we didn't get a tournament arc

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I didn't even know what a tournament arc was until about half a year ago. Now I'm looking back at all kinds of shows. And the main question is, "why?"

They exist in all kinds of shows where tournaments are just completely unrelated to the story. They just show up out of nowhere.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Isn't there no biological life left since the suns going out? The white dwarf that Phos pointed out was implied to be the sun since it's brighter than the others, suggesting its closer. That page with the black panels is the longest time skip yet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im sure in a billion years phos will be happy again and have new friends and all sorts of adventures, maybe they will go bowling :)

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Did Antarcticite ever get revived? That's the one question haunting me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Feliday Melody posted:

I didn't even know what a tournament arc was until about half a year ago. Now I'm looking back at all kinds of shows. And the main question is, "why?"

They exist in all kinds of shows where tournaments are just completely unrelated to the story. They just show up out of nowhere.

It's an easy narrative device to get characters to fight each other, especially if they normally wouldn't, and in many cases there are rules such as it being a non-lethal tournament so the characters don't just kill each other off.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haven't read the new chapter yet but these are some yikes takes im seeing. gas

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm fine with the current developments, I think people were just expecting more lose ends to be tied off before getting to this point, but that's kind of how life works, not everything is going to be resolved neatly, and you aren't going to experience every bit of it. Plus it's building on the Buddhist themes set up from the start of the manga.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

It’s another HnK chapter where I go “drat, I want to read the next chapter!” so I’m having fun :)

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

im just happy phos finally has a being to talk to that won't take advantage of them

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah they seem rock solid

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
it's still good, but the story really was getting funneled into a narrower space when so many plot twists are religious roman a clef stuff like "my name is kongo-sensei but my REAL name is Bodhisattva Kshitigharba Clearer of Hells" "my name is Enma but my REAL name is Dharma Guardian Yama-Ousama Lord of the Underworld"

Like I'm not saying that Houseki no Kuni is the nonbinary anime Buddhist equivalent of Left Behind. But, you know.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I like this. It started as a very specific kind of anime--ingenue wants to find her place in a bizarre society where everyone has a role, and also discover the mystery of who wants to kill us.

We watch her transformation into a warrior, into a weapon, because of the trauma of fighting this unceasing enemy. Who are they? What do they want? WHAT are they? We know nothing about them and can barely speculate. They are utterly alien and strange. The arc with the dog monster implies they have some secret connection to Adamantine/Kongo and there's much more going on. What secrets does he hold? What are the mysteries?

She finally reaches the moon and the lunarians immediately reveal themselves to just be normal humans trying to troll Kongo into extincting them. They're fun loving immortal ghosts having a fun time! The entire tone of mystery, of a small enclave struggling to survive, of family and etc., yeah that all goes out the bin because everything we thought the story was about was wrong.

Except for identity, and meaning, and purpose and place, it remains the fundamental message. But the story was never really about seeing their gem highschool alien-fighting club or whatever, it was ultimately Phos struggling for a sense of self and place and failing, constantly, every single time. Assuming she'd seized power and identity and purpose and having it revealed to have been entirely wrong, again and again! She's going to stay up all winter--actually it's really traumatic but it's okay now she's a soldier--actually no that's even more traumatizing, time to self-destructively find the source of everything and--and it's just guys having a chuckle, okay maybe to side with them--no she gets used again. Now she's had 1,008 years alone to reach enlightenment and all she's learned is spite.

This was never a story about Gem Highschool Activity Clubs or Lunar Idol Concerts. It's a story about how Phos' life loving sucks all aboard choochoo.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

haven't read the new chapter yet but these are some yikes takes im seeing. gas

i have now read it & upgraded these takes from yikes to AIDS

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlocksOfMice posted:

This was never a story about Gem Highschool Activity Clubs or Lunar Idol Concerts. It's a story about how Phos' life loving sucks all aboard choochoo.

this p. much. if u wanted more Dia/Bort or Amethyst getting into arguments with himself or w/e go read fanfiction, this was always going to be a journey of death and rebirth solely around Phos, and for Phos

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Kodansha released an ad for the latest volume so you can hear Tomoyo Kurosawa's take on vengeance Phos!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG7CJ188b70

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I get the people tired of samefacey art moon land, tho I wouldn't say I had expectations I see as unfulfilled or anything. I think Phos' arc is fantastic and I really loved the new chapter.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I understand missing when the series was a slow paced meditation on emotions and relationships because that's probably my favorite part too tbh, but the story was always going to end tragically

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mulva posted:

The story is fundamentally Buddhist, and sentient life is suffering. Literally and explicitly. Duḥkha and taṇhā, lets go with suffering and attachment, are the cornerstones of Buddhist thought. .
This started as a narrative with story and characters. When you throw out the story and characters and try to hang everything on a (not very good) treatise on Buddhist metaphysics, it's not a narrative anymore.

Additionally, the gems are genderless.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 28, 2022

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

This started as a narrative with story and characters. When you throw out the story and characters and try to hang everything on a (not very good) treatise on Buddhist metaphysics, it's not a narrative anymore.

a narrative is quite literally just a series of events, the only way HnK stops having a narrative in favor of Buddhist allegory is if Phos turns to the viewer and starts reciting passages from the Tipitaka followed by curtain close. the manga now might not be what you or seemingly a few others wanted from it at the beginning but there's plenty of other manga out there that are, and not any i can think of that are what HnK turned into (read: a masterpiece).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i also don't know how it isn't a good treatise on Buddhism. i'm not saying that it couldn't be shaky (Christ knows i don't know anything about the religion beyond the Buddha and reincarnation), but it's not overt unless you're told about it, and if it's because it's only really going into the fundamentals or a specific facet of the religion, that's kind of what you have to do when it comes to metaphor unless you're just that overly ambitious

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
...Oh, I just realized with this being 99: there's definitely going to be 108 chapters of this, so I expect it'll end in 9 more.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

mdct posted:

...Oh, I just realized with this being 99: there's definitely going to be 108 chapters of this, so I expect it'll end in 9 more.

That's a big fakeout, we'll have at least 2.56×1021 more chapters of Phos suffering (its a Naraku joke)

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

symbolic posted:

but it's not overt unless you're told about it

I think to an audience familiar with Buddhist ideas, it would be extremely on-the-nose. The use of extremely long passages of time (measured in kalpas, a Buddhist term). The imagery of Adamant, who is clearly based on depictions of the Bodhisattva Jizo, combating a host of celestial Devas. Phos's procession of becoming various forms of precious stones (gold, lapis, etc.) is a bit of a deeper cut, but once the pattern is established, it becomes easy for folks to suss out that it's a religious reference. By the time they are hanging out on the moon, it really is about as explicitly a Buddhist story as you can get--Adamant and Enma literally reveal their secret identities as Buddhist figures Kshitigarbha and Yama.

That's not a knock on its quality at all. I think Houseki no Kuni absolutely rocks (heh). But like, it's even more Buddhist than Everything Everywhere All At Once, which is saying something.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cephas posted:

I think to an audience familiar with Buddhist ideas, it would be extremely on-the-nose. The use of extremely long passages of time (measured in kalpas, a Buddhist term). The imagery of Adamant, who is clearly based on depictions of the Bodhisattva Jizo, combating a host of celestial Devas. Phos's procession of becoming various forms of precious stones (gold, lapis, etc.) is a bit of a deeper cut, but once the pattern is established, it becomes easy for folks to suss out that it's a religious reference. By the time they are hanging out on the moon, it really is about as explicitly a Buddhist story as you can get--Adamant and Enma literally reveal their secret identities as Buddhist figures Kshitigarbha and Yama.

That's not a knock on its quality at all. I think Houseki no Kuni absolutely rocks (heh). But like, it's even more Buddhist than Everything Everywhere All At Once, which is saying something.

i was about to say that the majority of the audience wouldn't be familiar with most if any of that but then i remembered that like two-thirds of Japan is Buddhist to some capacity, so mea culpa there. in terms of the West tho, i think it's something a lot more people wouldn't figure out upon casual read which is what i had in mind with that post

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This manga whips rear end.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This series isn't as blatant about Buddhism as Journey to the West is. In that series it's always about how the Celestial Bureaucracy is full of incompetent gods and Buddhism is the one true way.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I really appreciate how unpredictable this manga has been from the jump. Though I guess if you’re a Buddhism scholar it’s more predictable?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the whole idea is that phos kind of gave up on those things due to their own insecurities/weirdness

the same face kinda also fits that, phos is distant from these people (these rocks?) now

even if you want a character focused narrative it works and makes sense, it just isnt the character arc you wanted. which is fine but its fine to just go 'yeah i liked these characters enough that i kinda wish it was just them dicking around', not an objective flaw of the series

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Voted Cinnabar.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

Voted Cinnabar.

I respect it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005