Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
unhinged Phos is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Comin out of their shell and they been doin just fine.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Call up Elon Musk and fly me to the moon because I want a Lunarian stylist.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Xun posted:

Welp everything sucks for Phos I guess!

that's basically the manga's alternate title

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

What is this. What the hell is this. Why the hell did I just inhale the anime and all of the manga available right now

When I first heard of this, I was pretty sure it would be terrible ("Humanoid gem stones looking like teenagers, and everyone's named after a different one!"), but oh boy. I'm kinda glad this kept getting recommended to me. This seriously feels like a Madoka situation - I avoided it for too long AND it's seriously intriguing, depressing and kinda existentially terrifying. I'm also really impressed just how much thought went into a setting that initially seems like a bad webcomic (sorry...). Guess now I'm stuck waiting for new chapters like everybody else.

Sure seems like there's a Phos vs. Bort showdown somewhere in the future.

God I fuckin love that there is seriously a character named Bort

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bort nothing, the thing I'm interested in is the part where LAPIS being restored is a possibility and uh, what're we doing with Phos' whole situation then?

e: I guess the moon crew could just restore lapis shorter than before

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also regardless of how Sensei told the truth, Rutile is still probably very Not Okay with Phos taking Padparadscha.

Like, Phos is absolutely going to be thinking "hey if I just come back down with Pad in one piece and awake, surely Rutile will be okay with it!" and that isn't gonna be the case at all.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Conflict with the rest back on earth also seems inevitable, if only because we just had a declaration by the remaining gems that they want to keep things as they are with Adamant - which might just be what kept him from giving in to the Lunarians. They're effectively back to stasis again, and I love how it dawns on Phos they might have to do more drastic things to get things moving, AT ALL, in any direction.

I feel like the comic has done really a good job so far showing the frustration from dealing with Adamant... Gonna be really interesting what Cinnabar does with that whole mess.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rodyle posted:

Bort nothing, the thing I'm interested in is the part where LAPIS being restored is a possibility and uh, what're we doing with Phos' whole situation then?

e: I guess the moon crew could just restore lapis shorter than before

From the sounds of things it's gonna take years and years, decades, possibly centuries to get the gems back.

I mean, they were literally ground up into moondust. Never mind putting them back together, just getting all the grains needed for one gem is gonna take forever and a half.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

From the sounds of things it's gonna take years and years, decades, possibly centuries to get the gems back.

I mean, they were literally ground up into moondust. Never mind putting them back together, just getting all the grains needed for one gem is gonna take forever and a half.

Should be interesting to see how that plays out, seeing as the gems are immortals with no particular concern with time ticking by, while the lunarians are all about getting over this whole poo poo ASAP.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 69 is out

Nice

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I can't tell who that is with the knives. Rutile? I think they're a bit upset.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 26, 2018

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
If they've spent millenia putting gems back together it stands to reason that Rutile would be the most effective in taking them apart. I also speculate that Cinnabar may have a role soon as they can either turn the tide or shut down a fight, because going against them is risking mutually assured destruction.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Yak of Wrath posted:

If they've spent millenia putting gems back together it stands to reason that Rutile would be the most effective in taking them apart. I also speculate that Cinnabar may have a role soon as they can either turn the tide or shut down a fight, because going against them is risking mutually assured destruction.

What if the special job that only Cinnibar can do is take down the weird chimera that Phos has become?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gosh, why do the moon people have to be so god dang nice, it's gonna break my heart when things inevitably turn belly up

It's gonna be really interesting what Rutile is going to do, now that Padparadscha is out and about and (presumably?) actually fixed. I would not be surprised if they're having their own agenda in all of this - Pad almost definitely knows a lot more than letting on.

I suppose Phos will actually get a chance to talk to Adamant, only for things to escalate from Pad's side somehow. And that's where Cinnabar comes in.

THIS CAN ONLY GO WROOOOOONG

This whole talk about Adamant's "love" and the static structure of crystals formed around him kinda makes me think that Phos, in some way, is actually starting to become what he most yearned for. Phos is the only one (???) who actually escaped that structure, who keeps evolving, who keeps breaking boundaries. Even though Phos certainly suffers for it, they're probably the closest to having actual freedom.

I, like, REALLY want that Adamant - Phos confrontation to happen

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

WHERES THE NEXT CHAPTER

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
The body language between Cairngorm and Aechmea is SO interesting!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
:henget:

:henget:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

witchcore ricepunk posted:

The body language between Cairngorm and Aechmea is SO interesting!
Sorry

Not Sorry

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Amazing.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
https://mangadex.org/chapter/415112/1

Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal! But I suppose Cairngorm does have a reason not to want Sensei "fixed"

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 25, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm so confused. Pad shatters Cinnabar and tosses Phos out of the way of her mercury but...into Bort's hair? But in the panel before that Bort is clearly in the other direction??

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

this was a total visual mess

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Sindai posted:

I'm so confused. Pad shatters Cinnabar and tosses Phos out of the way of her mercury but...into Bort's hair? But in the panel before that Bort is clearly in the other direction??

It isn't exactly clear but I believe Phos has recovered from the toss and is running back towards Pad and Bort and gets sliced when they are back in range. But yeah it is like there is a missing page of Phos landing and seeing Pad get glomped

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
what a ride

first page: Ha! that idiot

final page: gently caress. THAT IDIOT.

Yak of Wrath posted:

It isn't exactly clear but I believe Phos has recovered from the toss and is running back towards Pad and Bort and gets sliced when they are back in range. But yeah it is like there is a missing page of Phos landing and seeing Pad get glomped

It's the panel after Phos is tossed that Pad gets glomped.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

The ol' hidden Bort, gets 'em every time.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ok, I understood, like, zero of the action going on here, only that suddenly everyone was hosed up

What happened to Pad? Are they just... gone? :stare: I'm really curious what's going on with Pad, they were basically in full massacre mode the moment they arrived.
I'm also wondering what Cairngorm's end game is, here. If they're acting on Aechma's orders, it could just be that he saw Phos getting overwhelmed and said gently caress it, revert to the old plan. Or he never intended to honor their agreement to begin with. Or it's a way of bailing Phos & co out while faking their "deaths". Aaaaaaargh there's just too much that could happen, it's maddening

Bonus hosed-up possibility: Cairngorm wanted to do this on their own

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah it's confusing and probably could have used an extra page or two:

Padparadscha goes fuckin' wild and takes out Rutile and the three other gems who had cornered Yellow Diamond. Phos and Bortz are fighting when Cinnabar leaps in and throws up a massive wall of their poison mercury:

Page 10: Cinnabar jumps in with mercury already thrown at Phos, but Padparadscha flings out a massive sword-shockwave aimed at Cinnabar to damage them and presumably changes the trajectory of the mercury.

Page 11: Cinnabar is smashed to poo poo. Phos gets stabbed in the back by Padparadscha who flings them away to safety but in return gets mercury in their hair. Bortz also gets covered in mercury but offscreen.

Page 12: Phos goes towards Padparadscha to check on them and gets blindsided by Bortz' hair-blades. We see the bisected area get coated in mercury poison.

Page 13: The result. Phos in two pieces, Bortz down, and Cinnabar limbless and smashed. Pad offscreen. Everyone just coated in splashes of the poison mercury

Then the rest of the chapter happens. This fuckin' sucks for everyone but the important thing is that Caimgorn looks great.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

Yeah it's confusing and probably could have used an extra page or two:

Padparadscha goes fuckin' wild and takes out Rutile and the three other gems who had cornered Yellow Diamond. Phos and Bortz are fighting when Cinnabar leaps in and throws up a massive wall of their poison mercury:

Page 10: Cinnabar jumps in with mercury already thrown at Phos, but Padparadscha flings out a massive sword-shockwave aimed at Cinnabar to damage them and presumably changes the trajectory of the mercury.

Page 11: Cinnabar is smashed to poo poo. Phos gets stabbed in the back by Padparadscha who flings them away to safety but in return gets mercury in their hair. Bortz also gets covered in mercury but offscreen.

Page 12: Phos goes towards Padparadscha to check on them and gets blindsided by Bortz' hair-blades. We see the bisected area get coated in mercury poison.

Page 13: The result. Phos in two pieces, Bortz down, and Cinnabar limbless and smashed. Pad offscreen. Everyone just coated in splashes of the poison mercury

Then the rest of the chapter happens. This fuckin' sucks for everyone but the important thing is that Caimgorn looks great.

Pad isn't offscreen. Pad is buried under all the poison she saved Phos from. That's what the giant lump on the single page panel beside Cinnabar is, what remains of Pad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm starting to think that cinnabar distancing themself from everyone else and only fighting alone was a very good idea.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pad isn't offscreen. Pad is buried under all the poison she saved Phos from. That's what the giant lump on the single page panel beside Cinnabar is, what remains of Pad.
Oh no. :ohdear:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Pierson posted:

:hmmyes:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah the choreography was a bit confusing. I think I'll have to wait until it gets animated in season 2 or 3 to really understand what just happened.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think this is the end for Padparadscha: The last thing that Phos needs to have replaced to be a true Ship of Theseus is his torso, and with some kind of red gem if they want to complete the Buddhist seven treasures. Using whatever is left of Pad after the mercury is scraped away to heal Phos completes both of them at once.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Pierson posted:

I think this is the end for Padparadscha: The last thing that Phos needs to have replaced to be a true Ship of Theseus is his torso, and with some kind of red gem if they want to complete the Buddhist seven treasures. Using whatever is left of Pad after the mercury is scraped away to heal Phos completes both of them at once.

Nah, I don't think it is...

We just don't know absolutely anything about Padparadscha. And their whole behaviour in this chapter just made them only more confusing.

Why did they just outright massacre gems all over the place, including Rutile? But they went to extreme lengths to keep Phos safe. Are they just that incredibly coldblooded? Did that have anything to do with Achmea? What the hell does she know???

No idea why any of this happened, but oh boy. Maybe this is all just Achmea deciding he's gonna keep live gems around as hostages this time, now that he's got multiple ones who coexist, and he only just wanted to use the raid to get more hostages... without telling Phos, naturally.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Torquemadras posted:

Nah, I don't think it is...

We just don't know absolutely anything about Padparadscha. And their whole behaviour in this chapter just made them only more confusing.

Why did they just outright massacre gems all over the place, including Rutile? But they went to extreme lengths to keep Phos safe. Are they just that incredibly coldblooded? Did that have anything to do with Achmea? What the hell does she know???

No idea why any of this happened, but oh boy. Maybe this is all just Achmea deciding he's gonna keep live gems around as hostages this time, now that he's got multiple ones who coexist, and he only just wanted to use the raid to get more hostages... without telling Phos, naturally.

Pad's behaviour is less confusing if you remember that from their perspective they didn't massacre anyone, just quickly and decisively incapacitated some Earth gems that they possibly don't even know that well due to a history of being largely comotose

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cons: this chapter is kinda a bummer
Pros: life is good if you are a Caimgorn, yeah yeah

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
New Chapter

https://mangadex.org/chapter/437811/1

Phos got played like a sucker, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a considerable blow to what little they have left. Poor Yellow though, all they wanted was to see their old friends and everyone on the moon is batshit bonkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think we should celebrate Phos this chapter! After all this time, they finally found a meaningful job that only Cinnbar can do: Cinnabar can protect their family from Phos.