Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if they are telling the truth that doesn't mean they will remain benign. lunarians are mentally unstable, and they only care about the gems as a possible way of getting through to sensei. if the ploy phos came up with doesn't work (and let's be real here, it is phos so it totally won't), the lunarians would gladly move on to a new plan. and again, lunarians are hanging on a thread so it is very likely their next plan would be just as horrible for gems as their previous ones.

plus, i dunno how much of their humanity remains but the reason they are stuck in front of the afterlife is because they were sinners to begin with. they began as not so nice people and have spent countless years teetering on the edge of madness, so i don't have a lot of faith in their good nature.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sensei is an ancient, indestructible, sentient machine, unique in the world. his thoughts are alien and inscrutable because no one shares a common frame of reference with him. the gems are mostly innocent so they ascribe great knowledge and empathy to their parent. the lunarians go to the opposite extreme, assuming he is broken in ways that makes him actively malicious. sensei is unwilling to help them even though it is what he was created for, so there is obviously something fishy going on. does he have reasons and goals, or are the lunarians right about everything and he is merely a faulty robot?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
assuming sensei is actually aware of what is going on around him (which is a pretty big if), i'm guessing that him praying the lunarians away would have some adverse effect on the gems. perhaps that bone, body and soul thing is more than a mere simile, and the three species are actually interconnected somehow instead of being two widely divergent evolutionary paths and a bunch of moon ghosts.

like, whatever happens to the gems and phos in particular is guaranteed to be strange and sad, but i just can't get a read on sensei at all. for starters, if he is protecting their species as a whole by not praying while failing to protect them individually he sure as heck doesn't seem conflicted about it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aaaaa

https://mangadex.com/chapter/110980/1

so phos always fucks up, but by being willing to do so they provided motive force for a static society. sensei didn't get shocked into praying, but instead he was shocked into honesty and now he can work together with the gems to move forward. unfortunately, i don't think there will be a place for phos in whatever form their new society eventually takes any more than there was in the original society. what really sucks for phos is that they already tried talking with sensei before taking more drastic measures but they couldn't get through to him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm starting to think that cinnabar distancing themself from everyone else and only fighting alone was a very good idea.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think anyone is eager to emulate phos in any conceivable way

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if everyone is acting in good faith, i'd wager that events still won't turn out well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
phos disrupted a completely static dis-functional society built on lies and secrets and none of the gems will ever forgive them for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
terrible things happening to phos are very easy to predict at this point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao dia's most powerful form

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

This wouldn't have happened if you had just talked to each other

You stupid, stupid, STUPID rocks

this is so good

hey, phos tried. repeatedly. no one wanted to listen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they never bothered to interact with the gems until the lunarians coerced them into it.

also, the 10k years is just how long phos will be left alone until they inherit adamant's power. afterward, the idea is that they pray away all of the lunarians which now includes the gems. you know, thus leaving phos alone for as long as they last without killing themselves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 25, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

We have transcended suffering into the land of dreams.

hey now, there's still plenty of suffering to be had. the remnants of the old world didn't show up for a tea party.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's sad that phos came to this conclusion about their life and even sadder that they are correct.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Scallop Eyes posted:

On regards to the newest chapter, at least they have someonethey can talk to now , Rock-san seems like a nice person.

This is how I feel too. I really think not having a sea snail arc was a mistake, Phos interacting with creatures that could die of natural causes would've been good for them.

It also feels like the manga just throws all the other characters out of the window, and all the time that we spent with them feels wasted. I wanted to see more of Bort's and Dia weird relationship (Bort choosing breeding jellyfish over fighting was a good thing! Show me more of that); Rutile either get over Pads or just going all in on curing them;I wanted Yellow Dia to be happy, and just more of Benito in general.

To compound on all of that, the art just got lazier.Especially on the moon, there was so much sameface I couldn't tell almost any of the gems apart.Everything became flat blacks and white, and there was very little of the cool/other-worldly designs/shots that existed early.

all that stuff happened off-panel during phos' 10000 years of suffering. you wanted to see all these neat character interactions and development? well, so did phos.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a step up. in hindsight, gems were kind of assholes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was expecting something much more bleak after the previous chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goddamn it, phos.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe phos gets a happy ending after all. part of them gets to hang out as a cool rock with other cool rocks (as opposed to the gems who were all jerks), at least. as for the rest of the ship of theseus, probably not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i find it hard to care that much about the incomplete gem character arcs after they did phos so dirty. gently caress those jerks!