Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Padparashca is a corundum, just like Ruby and sapphires. Padparashca is a kind of orangey-pink sapphire, the exact color varies a bit since "orangey-pink" is hella subjective but I've heard it has something to do with being compared to the color of a lotus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I like how the gems look when they are first born. I wonder if sensei gave them eyes to see with or if he just thought eye holes were too creepy lol

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I really hate that the manga scans gender the gems, it's such a lovely and also almost totally arbitrary thing

bleh

and yeah a lot of the dialogue here was kind of hard to parse, especially Adam's

What do you think the translators do instead? I believe there are some grammar/clarity problems using they instead of a gendered pronouns, and trying to resolve well is possibly above the translator's skill level. For awhile there the translations were entirely done by some guy who doesn't know japanese with google translate. I mean hell this chapter proves that the translators still aren't so great at clarity, even if Sensei is speaking in a weird roundabout way.

I personally think using male pronouns for the gems is a good compromise, since most people think they appear more feminine than androgynous due to the butts and hairstyles.

Ninja edit: on rereading I realize this could sound sarcastic, but I'm being 100% sincere :v: I just think it is interesting thinking about how to refer to someone without needing gender in English

Xun fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 25, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Welp everything sucks for Phos I guess!

At least Cairngorm seems happy

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

WHERES THE NEXT CHAPTER

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Pierson posted:

Then the rest of the chapter happens. This fuckin' sucks for everyone but the important thing is that Caimgorn looks great.

:hmmyes:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bort was never cool because she was mean to Diamond :colbert:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My brain waiting for the haitus to be over

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I hope this series returns :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

From what I can remember, I think they used he specifically because the gems tend to get gendered as girls. That way they could kinda get that gender neutral vibe while avoiding using they because it's awkward sometimes. I guess a free scanlation group didn't want to spend the time worrying about that?