Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think Phos kinda had to do this though. The Lunarians are constantly developing, trying out new types of weapons to capture the gems. Meanwhile the gems never evolve their technology and only slowly gain new members. Continuing to try to do battle with the lunarians long term would have resulted in more and more kidnappings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My theories are that if Sensei has decision making powers he either thinks the lunarians are sinners and don't deserve to be prayed away to nirvana. Or he wishes that humans will one day return and for that he needs the soul, flesh, and bone to all exist.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That translation was a bit odd. Either Sensei speaks in a really round-about way or the translators were having some trouble articulating what he's saying.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hahahahaha

Well I'm glad the labor movement is doing well somwhere.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It wouldn't be houseki without good ol body horror.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

We're getting a second season of the show because Orange is currently recruiting production staff.

"[Employment Information] the first phase of the recruitment application in 2018! The ※ deadline is 5/31 TV anime "Gem Country" is looking for new staff in Orange production. We look forward to your application for the next generation of animation! "

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

http://www.orange-cg.com/recruit_01.html

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Amazing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah the choreography was a bit confusing. I think I'll have to wait until it gets animated in season 2 or 3 to really understand what just happened.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A guy I follow on Twitter linked to this Thai artist with incredible Houseki fan art.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1109882387276529665

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just caught up. Am considering rewatching the anime though it might make me too sad about lack of season 2.

Also I really enjoyed this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8q7raJMAs&list=PLeFuZCmrcEYb6WtzHbgeOKCF0Cz_r-uXO&index=8&t=0s

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I rewatched this video essay and got all nostalgic for how good this series is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZR9yFa7Bx8

I’m almost unsure if I’d ever want a season 2 cause of how perfect the first was. The chance they wouldn’t be able to get some of the crew back and it just wouldn’t be quite as good. Maybe better to let it be the sort of self contained masterpiece it is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I also rediscovered my other favourite Houseki video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8q7raJMAs

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Holy moly.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I sorta expect the manga to end at chapter 108 given how important that number is in regards to Buddhism and reincarnation so presumably the hiatus is the planning to get to and finish that number. And hopefully, once that's all sorted out, an S2 will be made to promote it and we can finally see our beloved Phos again and their suffering

That’d be smart. I’m really hoping the author manages to make that work with the story pace so it doesn’t end up like other manga that have been hamstrung by feeling they had to end at a predetermined chapter number.

Comics are so hard, you don’t get to finish a full draft like a novel and then go back to edit and fix the full story, it has to work from the get go... easy to write oneself into a corner

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The manga isn’t crazy with detail but it is exceptionally well designed. This video essay really demonstrates just what a master the author is at composition:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZR9yFa7Bx8

Since Miura’s death, Houseki is now the number one manga I want to see completed that still has a good chance of finishing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm I suppose there is room for interpretation there. I wonder if the Japanese is the same between anime and manga in that scene and it was just interpreted differently by the translator? I wonder which is the more accurate translation.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So there's only 3 more chapters to go in this series right? I've been waiting to catch up once it hits 108, but I forget if thats the official ending or just what people speculate because of its numeric significance in Buddhism.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait so it’s gonna reach 107 chapters and not the meaningful 108?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Im curious to read people's retrospective thoughts on the whole series once the final chapter comes out. Since I read most of the manga after the anime came out and then took a long break before picking it up again, I don't really have the full idea of what the plot is in my mind, but the overall impression that it lost the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Squidster posted:

All true and likely intentional! It's also just not particularly fun.

I was hoping for a payoff for Diamond's insecurity, for Cinnabar's keening isolation, for Rutile's obsession with reviving Padparadscha, etc. The series started with a wide engaging cast full of bubbly noise and quiet pathos, and now? Now it feels like even the author is exhausted with the work. Pray for me, author

Yeah, I’d say it’s a one of a kind comic but not a very satisfying one. Then again I’m a bigger fan of the anime than the manga, I think the imagery in the anime and the music and voice acting really elevated what was already strong material in that section of the story. I’m hoping Studio Orange can do the same with their upcoming adaption of the ending arc of Beastars as that is a comic that went off the rails in a much worse way than Land of the Lustrous, but has the possibility to be redeemed in adaptation.