Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh look, a thread for the manga. Great, as I wanted to go on discussing it.

So the big, divisive issue right now in the people following it is... are Lunarians deceiving Phos with their explanations to just capture more gems, or are they telling the truth?
It seems lots of people believe it's a trick, and this is just Phos loving it up as Phos has done previously, it's her character arc. We know that the Lunarians won't stop for anything, use any and all kind of trickery, and they aren't trustworthy as they didn't maintain their deal with Ventricosus.

But I'm more inclined to believe this time they are telling the true, if only because I liked their explanation to the big mystery (which is already pretty rare, lots of times when a mystery series shows the big surprise is disappointing), and I also like the twist in the characterizations of the 'real' Lunarians. They may be not telling 100% the truth and hiding something, but as a minimum I think the basic gist is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sindai posted:

The real real question is why can't the gems and jellyfish do the praying. If it's true that Sensei is a robot they're more human than he is.

I had the same idea when the twist was revealed. I wonder if the endgame here will be Phos doing the praying, eventually.

edit: another good theory, mentioned above, is that praying doesn't do poo poo, and they have to forgive and reach Nirvana themselves, like the board or the dog.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 29, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

fyi the digital manga is on sale right now for ~$5 each which finally helped me to decide which version to get

Link? edit: I suppose you meant amazon/comixiology
https://www.amazon.com/Land-Lustrous-Issues-4-Book/dp/B078MPJRLX/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1514654355&sr=8-12&keywords=land+of+the+lustrous

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 30, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Chapter 64 is out https://mangadex.com/chapter/12159/1

apparently Sensei hasn't referred to Phos by name since they returned from the moon?

It seems so. But I don't think he is retiring her name's because she is a traitor, but because he recognizes she changed at this point too much. Ship of thesseus,etc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Why the chapters have to be so short despite being a monthly manga, dammit. ;_;

trucutru posted:

We're talking about something based on Budhism, which includes beings on other realms (devas) that live for more than a billion years, so it probably took a while.

Lol, I just checked wikipedia and...

So yeah, a while

Actually, the sun will evaporate the oceans in 1 billion years so this story it is scientifically inaccurate!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 25, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Heh, I remember when people were saying that Aechmea was lying to Phos and telling lies, how she was failing for it again... but after these last chapters, it seems he was being honest, at least all it's matching up for now.

Poor Bort, she is totally wrong about Phos, she didn't deceive anyone, and give everyone an opportunity to go back.

And was Cinnabar about to say she was going to the Moon, but was roped into this side??

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh man. Oh man.

Why I have the impression Aechmea plan is to mix truth with lies and turn them against each other slowly. He has told mostly truth until now, but I believe he is lying here. The whole "you love him because he emits something for that, not because he is your father figure" is too convenient to him.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I like how something that is important to the characters, it's dramatic and poo poo has a simple, mundane explanation (the dust is too fine and would fly away. The may not like it, but physics doesn't care about what you like.)

That end O_O

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I believe vacuum cleaners don't exactly work in a vacuum. What they need is a giant lint roller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSWdHY9Ny4

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Agronox posted:

Interesting. The Lunarians are introducing gender to the gems. I wonder where that will lead.

The ultimate sin done by Lunarians: given them gender.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just caught up and I really am amazed by how much everything's changed. Like if you told me originally my most absolutely despised characters would be the earth gems I would've been pretty shocked. Seriously gently caress bort, gently caress cinnabar (don't give a gently caress about their need for approval or social inclusion or w/e, rip them apart phos), gently caress all of em. I want Phos to just go the Thing on them at this point, Bortz is seriously the worst, just like unilaterally stopping Third Impact...just cuz. And the way basically every earth gem constantly seems to react to Phos by immediately trying to rip them into pieces and scatter them around the globe now what the gently caress y'all. This is PHOS NOT OSIRIS.

Funny how the 'gently caress the gems' has now a different sense than it had at first...
sorry for the bad joke

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

The thing is, Phos was (and still is) wrong about everything. We now know that Adamant had a drat good reason for not praying and even the whole thing about him being cryptic and mysterious was a result of his lovely programming instead of some kind of malice. Meanwhile the side-effect of Achmea's goal is a literal genocide of all intelligent life left on Earth and he is completely ok with it. So yeah, Phos was wrong in distrusting Adamant. Phos was wrong in going to the Moon. Phos was wrong in trusting Achmea. Phos was wrong in returning and bringing other gems with them to the Moon. Phos was wrong in trying to get Adamant pray. And looking at their current mental state, I'm not too hot about hoping that next thing they'll try to do will turn out better. From perspective of earth gems, who have to live with consequences of Phoses decisions, Phos is literally Satan. And well...they are not wrong.

I disagree in the Phos was wrong in returning and bringing other gems with them to the Moon part.
I think it's positive some Gems discovered new things and interests in life, and interacted with other beings and grew as persons, it beats being in their static eternal microcosm in their small island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yak of Wrath posted:

I've been seeing predictions that Cinnabar mercury will disolve Phos' arms, but those arms aren't pure gold.
The platinum component won't form an amalgam, so they might still more than enough metal left for crime against gems.

Mercury doesn't "dissolve" gold in the first place, they combine quimically forming the amalgam. From wikipedia

"Gold amalgam: Refined gold, when finely ground and brought into contact with mercury where the surfaces of both metals are clean, amalgamates readily and quickly to form alloys ranging from AuHg2 to Au8Hg.[7]"