Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Every now and then, for a brief second, I forget how self-destructive Phos is.

And then I reread the latest few chapters to see if I missed anything in my late-night binge and remember their grand plan involved "well lol if they destroy me, presumably in a few centuries they'll use a shard of my body and you can just go sticking that to things no biggie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Disclaimer: Not a buddhist, just an excellent googlist with a pet theory.

quote:

Buddhist texts such as the Lotus Sutra and the Western Pure Land Sutra specify the kinds of jewels Buddhist followers should donate to the Buddha and bodhisattvas according to the concept of the Seven Treasures. The list of the Seven Treasures vary in different texts, but they all include gold, silver, lapis lazuli, crystal, pearl, red coral and emerald or some other greenish stone.

Source: The Silk Road in World History.

quote:

Also, seven treasures or seven kinds of gems. Precious substances mentioned in the sutras. The list differs among the Buddhist scriptures. According to the Lotus Sutra, the seven are gold, silver, lapis lazuli, seashell, agate, pearl, and carnelian.
Source: Nichiren Buddhism Library.

If the theory is remotely applicable, and I think it is at least a little since it's already been quite accurate, the list of what we've already got from the various translations is something like: Gold/Silver/Platinum, Seashell/Agate/Coral, Lapis Lazuli, Pearl, with possibly Phos themself as the crystal/emerald/green stone.

The one we're definitely closest to missing would be a red stone, like ruby or carnelian. I'm actually going to name my personal wild theory: There's one destroyed pink-red gem that's been namedropped recently, Morganite. Phos has said they want to help the baby Morganite meet the old Morganite, old Morganite is dusted on the moon, and the prince has said they could try to put the dusted gems back together. I'm betting that Phos gets a part of Morganite next.

Oh, and extra fun:

quote:

Śarīra is a generic term referring to Buddhist relics, although in common usage it usually refers to pearl or crystal-like bead-shaped objects that are purportedly found among the cremated ashes of Buddhist spiritual masters.

Which brings extra meaning to Phos getting a pearl from the dead moon party people.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
There's really too many variables at play to be certain what number Phos is at. Somewhere around 5 is definite, whether it's 6 or 7 is going to depend on factors like does Phos count as 1 or 0, platinum or gold, etc.

And please not Padparascha they are one of my faves alongside all the other gems who are also my faves.

Eta: also yeah I'm pretty sure at some point Rutile suggests using Phos to patch up Padparascha but I can't remember when. So they'd be compatible.

coolusername fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 28, 2017

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The real question is why the heck isn't Sensei praying?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Maybe Phos has gold arms so they can do all the praying at once.

Japhers @ tumblr. Sadly most of the best pixiv artists hate reposting or I would do nothing but post gem art in this thread until you all begged me to stop.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
"They" and "Them" or just using their names is perfectly comprehensible in my opinion. Defaulting to masculine ruins a lot of the author's intentional gemder ambiguity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
What the gently caress was this