Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

What is this. What the hell is this. Why the hell did I just inhale the anime and all of the manga available right now

When I first heard of this, I was pretty sure it would be terrible ("Humanoid gem stones looking like teenagers, and everyone's named after a different one!"), but oh boy. I'm kinda glad this kept getting recommended to me. This seriously feels like a Madoka situation - I avoided it for too long AND it's seriously intriguing, depressing and kinda existentially terrifying. I'm also really impressed just how much thought went into a setting that initially seems like a bad webcomic (sorry...). Guess now I'm stuck waiting for new chapters like everybody else.

Sure seems like there's a Phos vs. Bort showdown somewhere in the future.

God I fuckin love that there is seriously a character named Bort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Conflict with the rest back on earth also seems inevitable, if only because we just had a declaration by the remaining gems that they want to keep things as they are with Adamant - which might just be what kept him from giving in to the Lunarians. They're effectively back to stasis again, and I love how it dawns on Phos they might have to do more drastic things to get things moving, AT ALL, in any direction.

I feel like the comic has done really a good job so far showing the frustration from dealing with Adamant... Gonna be really interesting what Cinnabar does with that whole mess.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gosh, why do the moon people have to be so god dang nice, it's gonna break my heart when things inevitably turn belly up

It's gonna be really interesting what Rutile is going to do, now that Padparadscha is out and about and (presumably?) actually fixed. I would not be surprised if they're having their own agenda in all of this - Pad almost definitely knows a lot more than letting on.

I suppose Phos will actually get a chance to talk to Adamant, only for things to escalate from Pad's side somehow. And that's where Cinnabar comes in.

THIS CAN ONLY GO WROOOOOONG

This whole talk about Adamant's "love" and the static structure of crystals formed around him kinda makes me think that Phos, in some way, is actually starting to become what he most yearned for. Phos is the only one (???) who actually escaped that structure, who keeps evolving, who keeps breaking boundaries. Even though Phos certainly suffers for it, they're probably the closest to having actual freedom.

I, like, REALLY want that Adamant - Phos confrontation to happen

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ok, I understood, like, zero of the action going on here, only that suddenly everyone was hosed up

What happened to Pad? Are they just... gone? :stare: I'm really curious what's going on with Pad, they were basically in full massacre mode the moment they arrived.
I'm also wondering what Cairngorm's end game is, here. If they're acting on Aechma's orders, it could just be that he saw Phos getting overwhelmed and said gently caress it, revert to the old plan. Or he never intended to honor their agreement to begin with. Or it's a way of bailing Phos & co out while faking their "deaths". Aaaaaaargh there's just too much that could happen, it's maddening

Bonus hosed-up possibility: Cairngorm wanted to do this on their own

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Pierson posted:

I think this is the end for Padparadscha: The last thing that Phos needs to have replaced to be a true Ship of Theseus is his torso, and with some kind of red gem if they want to complete the Buddhist seven treasures. Using whatever is left of Pad after the mercury is scraped away to heal Phos completes both of them at once.

Nah, I don't think it is...

We just don't know absolutely anything about Padparadscha. And their whole behaviour in this chapter just made them only more confusing.

Why did they just outright massacre gems all over the place, including Rutile? But they went to extreme lengths to keep Phos safe. Are they just that incredibly coldblooded? Did that have anything to do with Achmea? What the hell does she know???

No idea why any of this happened, but oh boy. Maybe this is all just Achmea deciding he's gonna keep live gems around as hostages this time, now that he's got multiple ones who coexist, and he only just wanted to use the raid to get more hostages... without telling Phos, naturally.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

As of this chapter, my hate for the earth-side gems has become truly unmeasurable in its intensity

OH MY GOD YOU FUCKERS, ADAMANT IS FINALLY ABOUT TO EXPLAIN SOMETHING AND YOU GO "Oooooh no, Adamant, you don't have to force yourself"

LET HIM TALK, GODDAMMIT

Glad to see that, even as terrifying chimera murder machine, being Phos is still suffering

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Going weaponless might kinda be meaningless from someone with ridiculously deadly shapeshifting arms

Y'know, just saying

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, so Adamant is, uh, booting up? And Phos was the one who could trigger it? Perhaps because Phos is the closest to what could be considered "human", at this point???

Goddammit, this could go absolutely anywhere

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rutile is hella nuts because someone else managed to fix their perfect comatose gem buddy and now they don't have any reason to be indebted to Rutile

Or, alternative, more benevolent interpretation:

Rutile knows that Achmea didn't really "fix" Padparadscha, he corrupted/changed them, and it's driving Rutile mad how they could let that happen after all the centuries spent trying to fix them

Honestly, I'm tending towards #1 here. But I guess we'll see. I'm also still convinced there's SOMETHING going on with Padparadscha - they definitely know a lot more than they let on, they're the only gem around which is still stronger than Phos (monstrously so!), they're somehow similar to Phos (remember when they heard of Phos' gold arms, and remarked how "we're the same, then"?), and I kinda suspect Achmea DID fix them with superior moon technology, but they're cooperating somehow.

This entire premise and situation is so incredibly weird, it's downright impossible to predict anything here, I love it

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The seeds of doubt have been sown!

Phos' malicious ideology has already begun taking hold!

Will nothing stop this accursed IDEA-HAVER from poisoning innocent gems' minds left and right?!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp. That was an extremely casual timeskip, wasn't it

Also, was this the very first time we've seen Adamant go directly against the earth gems' wishes? Even if it was basically in secret.

I absolutely love Adamant's expression on that last page. He's just utterly horrified by what he's caused, through a rigid hierarchy even he cannot escape. It's no small accomplishment to look more horrified than the shoddy gold/gem mess screaming at you to fulfill your basic function.

This story is absolutely loving impossible to predict, holy hell

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

It loving sucks that everyone on the moon just stopped restoring the broken gems. Like what the hell. Lunarians and the gems both don't give a poo poo

The story seems to make a point about gems being both kinda vapid and extremely static. Like, obsessively and helplessly resistant to change.

Hell, even the arguably smartest gem around can't do anything but ask Adamant to pray, forever and ever. They know they're stuck in a torturous stalemate, yet they can't break out in any way.

If Phos is the only one able to cause any change whatsoever, why can't it happen through succeeding once :smith:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah Phos represents change, though through suffering.

The moon gems are interesting, they definitely changed and adapted to the Lunarian lifestyle (far better than I expected) but it still fucks me up that they don't give a poo poo about restoring the broken gems. Do it for Yellow's sake goddamn.

That might be another facet of gem psychology: they tend to form crystal patterns, and that means including themselves in existing patterns. They even have a god-like figure in their midst again. It's the same thing all over again.

Now, restoring someone who's gone? That's disturbing the pattern. There is no void left by anyone, they've got a new structure of infinite cloud people, and aside from Yellow, they barely have any connection to those gems who were taken (and in some cases, even succeeded by gems from the same material). For Phos, the restoration started due to Antarctica and Ghost Quartz, but she proceeded anyway when that proved impossible. The others don't care, except Yellow, who's currently nuts.

Gems lack abstract empathy, y'all

Or they care a lot about moon snails, dunno

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Did this get axed or something?

Nah, doesn't seem like it

They only just started the 21 minutes countdown, and we haven't even seen any of the effects down on earth yet, where it should happen sooner

And there's no fuckin way things are just gonna go down as Achmea imagined they would

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

It's literally the end of this chapter, not the title of the next one.

And here I was getting all confused

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This wouldn't have happened if you had just talked to each other

You stupid, stupid, STUPID rocks

this is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wait, is that what I think it is?

Pho's old eye that was replaced with a moon spacecam?

drat, it's been ages since I read any of this