Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Well I've spent the past several days blazing through this marvelous gem (pun intended) of a manga, and man oh man did I pick a bad time to start given this new timeskip. I need the next chapter badly, especially since, aside from some confusion during some of the battle scenes, the manga's been nothing short of fantastic.

Also I'm sorry OP, but Rutile is the best gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

New chapter

Uh i know this of course is no where close to the biggest reveal/development in this chapter, but lmao
idol

Something interesting I saw pointed out elsewhere: Phos' reforming arms in the last panel of page 2 look strikingly like the human arm's bone structure.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The wait for this was long, but my God, was it worth it. Oh, was it worth it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Squidster posted:

Are they performing the most metal fusion dance imaginable? Will Cinnabar be Phos's missing piece?

Well, Phos did promise to find Cinnabar a job only Cinnabar can do, so...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Every time I think Phos has hit pinnacle suffering, it keeps getting worse. :smith:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sindai posted:

I can't recognize a single gem with no colors and different hair styles.

honestly i think that's kind of the point

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jesus Christ, that ending paneling. :eyepop: The end really is within sight now. drat.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wollawolla posted:

Are we still thinking this goes to 108 chapters? The ending feels only a few chapters out.

The next 10 chapters are all only a page or two each. We must suffer through waiting, much like Phos did.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haven't read the new chapter yet but these are some yikes takes im seeing. gas

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

haven't read the new chapter yet but these are some yikes takes im seeing. gas

i have now read it & upgraded these takes from yikes to AIDS

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlocksOfMice posted:

This was never a story about Gem Highschool Activity Clubs or Lunar Idol Concerts. It's a story about how Phos' life loving sucks all aboard choochoo.

this p. much. if u wanted more Dia/Bort or Amethyst getting into arguments with himself or w/e go read fanfiction, this was always going to be a journey of death and rebirth solely around Phos, and for Phos

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

This started as a narrative with story and characters. When you throw out the story and characters and try to hang everything on a (not very good) treatise on Buddhist metaphysics, it's not a narrative anymore.

a narrative is quite literally just a series of events, the only way HnK stops having a narrative in favor of Buddhist allegory is if Phos turns to the viewer and starts reciting passages from the Tipitaka followed by curtain close. the manga now might not be what you or seemingly a few others wanted from it at the beginning but there's plenty of other manga out there that are, and not any i can think of that are what HnK turned into (read: a masterpiece).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i also don't know how it isn't a good treatise on Buddhism. i'm not saying that it couldn't be shaky (Christ knows i don't know anything about the religion beyond the Buddha and reincarnation), but it's not overt unless you're told about it, and if it's because it's only really going into the fundamentals or a specific facet of the religion, that's kind of what you have to do when it comes to metaphor unless you're just that overly ambitious

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cephas posted:

I think to an audience familiar with Buddhist ideas, it would be extremely on-the-nose. The use of extremely long passages of time (measured in kalpas, a Buddhist term). The imagery of Adamant, who is clearly based on depictions of the Bodhisattva Jizo, combating a host of celestial Devas. Phos's procession of becoming various forms of precious stones (gold, lapis, etc.) is a bit of a deeper cut, but once the pattern is established, it becomes easy for folks to suss out that it's a religious reference. By the time they are hanging out on the moon, it really is about as explicitly a Buddhist story as you can get--Adamant and Enma literally reveal their secret identities as Buddhist figures Kshitigarbha and Yama.

That's not a knock on its quality at all. I think Houseki no Kuni absolutely rocks (heh). But like, it's even more Buddhist than Everything Everywhere All At Once, which is saying something.

i was about to say that the majority of the audience wouldn't be familiar with most if any of that but then i remembered that like two-thirds of Japan is Buddhist to some capacity, so mea culpa there. in terms of the West tho, i think it's something a lot more people wouldn't figure out upon casual read which is what i had in mind with that post

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

Voted Cinnabar.

I respect it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

very serene chapter

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

:smith:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Squidster posted:

All true and likely intentional! It's also just not particularly fun.

I was hoping for a payoff for Diamond's insecurity, for Cinnabar's keening isolation, for Rutile's obsession with reviving Padparadscha, etc. The series started with a wide engaging cast full of bubbly noise and quiet pathos, and now? Now it feels like even the author is exhausted with the work. Pray for me, author

L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

nah its cool. skill issue

this. ADTRW really is full of freaks..