Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapter

https://www.mangadex.org/chapter/814357

Whelp...that was brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Torquemadras posted:

This wouldn't have happened if you had just talked to each other

You stupid, stupid, STUPID rocks

this is so good

And a big part of that is Sensei not having been more upfront and forward about the Lunarians and the whole situation.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 24, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cephas posted:

I don't know if I'd say that. The manga starts on a scale akin to a personal mystery (what's the deal with my weird gem family and our monk patriarch? why are moon people attacking? what is my purpose?) and evolves to become a systems/philosophical mystery.what is the purpose of Phos's suffering? can scapegoating all of the world's suffering onto Phos really lead to a happy ending? What does that imply about the nature of the world we're reading about? Is it cruel, benevolent, hopeful...? If the story ends here, it seems like an extremely cruel and bleak story.

my instinct is that the story needs to return to the personal scale of Phos's subjective experience so they can get some kind of inner peace, or at least resolution, before the story ends.

A disturbing amount of people believe Phos deserved everything because she went against Sensei or some other belief of that nature, when a lot of the issues stemmed from Sensei never being forthright about the Lunarians true nature or what was his hand in the whole subject matter. I very much agree on the personal scale of Phos's experience as well as her achieving some personal heaven/nirvana or whatnot in the end for it to be satisfactory for me. Otherwise yeah it feels like the entire world dumping all of it's sins, pain, and suffering receipts all on an unsuspecting scapegoat.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

mdct posted:

The Buddhist influence on the series' storytelling permeates basically all levels of it. It's an extremely Buddhist series.
So why exactly does Phos have to suffer? Because to suffer is human and to be alive. Existence is suffering. Plot-wise, Phos needs to be Human to be able to pray and give Adamant the order to allow the Lunarian's souls to move on and cease existence, so their suffering is part of Aechmea's plan.
The lunarians are basically 'higher souls who live on a higher plane (the moon,) and spend all their time partying or fighting' so they're basically devas. Devas are at a disadvantage when it comes to escaping the cycle of reincarnation - they accumulated too much good karma in their life without achieving enlightenment, so they get rewarded for their good deeds, basically, with a cushy, easy life... but those are also distractions from enlightenment just as bad as danger and pain, so they'll likely never become a buddha.
The gems and admiribilis also feel like they're representatives of the human and animal realms of existence - where the latter is simply that it's a lot harder to be enlightened as an animal, and since they've been 'domesticated' by the lunarians before, they've got some animal vibes. The human realm of existence is considered to be the best one for achieving enlightenment with the overall low level of distractions (it's not too comfortable nor is it too dangerous) which goes well with how the gems spend the vast majority of their time on the island just kind of doing nothing or looking for ways to distract themselves. In a way, the gems squander their gift of relative comfort.

Adamant is basically a machine bodhisattva - someone who could reach enlightenment themselves, but chooses not to do so to assist others do so instead, with the caveat that as a machine, they can never actually reach it themselves anyway.

Phosphophyllite, who is now aware of all levels of existence, who has basically been in agony all conscious hours of the past however knows how long, is the closest thing to a human in the setting. And they have thrown away every personal connection to every person they've ever known, is the most human person in the series, but probably has much, much more suffering to go until they actually reach that point. The numbers and timescales in Buddhism are Extremely Large.

I don't know why y'all are spoiler tagging when the series has been on hiatus for a year and generally speaking everyone in this thread would've read up to then.

With the addition of the The Roost to Animal Crossing on Switch, I don't think the series will EVER get back on track any time soon.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sindai posted:

Finally, after ten thousand years...

Just wait til the next Animal Crossing update or for Splatoon 3 to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Blackfish posted:

Chapter 103 will be out August 24th. The whole chapter's been leaked already.

Sauce to raws?