Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The latest chapter has been wild, in fact every chapter feels like it's ending on a knife-edge. It seems to relax for pages at a time but then reminds you that no, remember, Aechma is not your cool moon friend and is actually very, very desperate.

that arrival parade tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Counterpoint to those saying Lunarians must forgive themselves as sinners before they can move on: Cicada is an extremely good person who has never done anything wrong in their life.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I kind of buy it. A lot of the series is about individualism, freedom, the will/lack of will to change etc, and "humans put a mind-control device in me because they were terrified of abandonment" fits right in with the other themes of the series.

Also maybe a more meta reason; this feels like we're nearing the end and introducing a whole new antagonistic complex arc like that would be a huge extension.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Like they made it pretty clear the entire moon is just crushed by endless existence and one of the prince's big scenes was him drinking and his underlings trying to cheer him up, I can excuse them some shifty eyes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That was fuckin' wiiiiiild.

edit: Oh poo poo isn't Lapis a 6?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 26, 2018

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Lapis is a 5.5.

Phos is a 3.5.

That's a really unfortunate number you've given us there prince.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Comin out of their shell and they been doin just fine.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also regardless of how Sensei told the truth, Rutile is still probably very Not Okay with Phos taking Padparadscha.

Like, Phos is absolutely going to be thinking "hey if I just come back down with Pad in one piece and awake, surely Rutile will be okay with it!" and that isn't gonna be the case at all.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah it's confusing and probably could have used an extra page or two:

Padparadscha goes fuckin' wild and takes out Rutile and the three other gems who had cornered Yellow Diamond. Phos and Bortz are fighting when Cinnabar leaps in and throws up a massive wall of their poison mercury:

Page 10: Cinnabar jumps in with mercury already thrown at Phos, but Padparadscha flings out a massive sword-shockwave aimed at Cinnabar to damage them and presumably changes the trajectory of the mercury.

Page 11: Cinnabar is smashed to poo poo. Phos gets stabbed in the back by Padparadscha who flings them away to safety but in return gets mercury in their hair. Bortz also gets covered in mercury but offscreen.

Page 12: Phos goes towards Padparadscha to check on them and gets blindsided by Bortz' hair-blades. We see the bisected area get coated in mercury poison.

Page 13: The result. Phos in two pieces, Bortz down, and Cinnabar limbless and smashed. Pad offscreen. Everyone just coated in splashes of the poison mercury

Then the rest of the chapter happens. This fuckin' sucks for everyone but the important thing is that Caimgorn looks great.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pad isn't offscreen. Pad is buried under all the poison she saved Phos from. That's what the giant lump on the single page panel beside Cinnabar is, what remains of Pad.
Oh no. :ohdear:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think this is the end for Padparadscha: The last thing that Phos needs to have replaced to be a true Ship of Theseus is his torso, and with some kind of red gem if they want to complete the Buddhist seven treasures. Using whatever is left of Pad after the mercury is scraped away to heal Phos completes both of them at once.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It sure felt like ten thousand years.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's been so long since I read it but yeah originally Phos was just going to become human enough to tell Kongo to do it but he was too broken even for that, so now it's Phos' job while Literally Every Other Existence In The World parties it up on the moon. There's definitely going to be some kind of reckoning after the 10k is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speculation based on the mythology yeah.