Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2002/01/17/20020117_175502_ml.htm

Drudgereport came out announcing the Lewinsky scandal on this date 1/17/1998, but of course the just as big scandal was the major media outlets holding back and not reporting on it for political reasons.

Most of us were alive back then, I remember not really giving as poo poo but specifically remember the slut shaming the women were getting and feeling bad for them. What do you recall about this great moment in US media history? What did non-US goons think about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I just spent the whole day savoring tootsie pops in solidarity

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was in grade school and at the time I couldn't understand why it was a big deal. I still don't really tbh it's not like Clinton's worst deed was lying about a BJ.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

im gonna soil my dress

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i call all my farts fudge reports and let me tell you something: there's some serious fudge on the way

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

Being obsessed with others sex lives is a American tradition.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
id let her slob my knob too

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

I stepped over the cable they used to to show the testimony feed to Congress. I don’t remember where the deposition was going on maybe the executive building? It was pretty funny they just ran a long dang cable so no one could hack it.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/MonicaLewinsky/status/953271895666798592

awww, 211k followers is respectable though

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
If the President cant get a blowjob from a fat chick in the oval office what the gently caress is the point of being President?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Prayer heart lightning to you too, Monica.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

more like THCC

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
It was funny when Monica Lewinski cut up Tom Green's parents' bedding to make handbags

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I think we should celebrate this day by mass-murdering white Christian evangelicals from Des Moines to Fort Lauderdale.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Tom Green is a dude who produced 90% garbage and 10% genius and those portions of genius are worth more than the respected careers of most people in hollywood

Also Monica had dece cans

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Chinatown posted:

id let her slob my knob too

:agreed:

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Back when CNN Headline News a channel that revolved around 30 minutes of the top stories across the categories, I'd watch it every morning eating breakfast before school, so January '98 would've been Grade 10.

The end of the OJ trial was also the end of THAT long tabloid ordeal dominating the headlines. The Lewinsky thing was worse, and far more annoying as a result. It significantly revealed the glaring flaws of the 24-hour news cycle, how every new tidbit or rumor made for a "new story", among other assinine things, like the camera crew planted outside Ken Starr's house every day to capture today's excursion to his car with his coffee.

And just like OJ you couldn't get away from the drat thing. News coverage on every aspect was everywhere, every issue of MAD has fresh takes on it (OK, most of them were legit funny), even up here in Canada our talk radio put way too much focus on it and its sleazy bits, and even on teenager-oriented TV some new rapper named Eminem stuck a blatant reference to it in his debut music video, etc. And since the internet was exploding as a force of culture, tech, and economy...well, you know; all over the place there too, even in the "webcomics"!

Among other things, it was well-publicized during the worst of it all that Hilary was so pissed at Bill that she made him sleep on the couch.) He also had the nomination for The Worst Christmas Ever later that year when every Holiday thing the White House did for the kids was overshadowed by the fact that impeachment was coming. (You could cut the tension with a knife every drat time he was on camera.) The popular conspiracy of the day was that Clinton pulled the Iraq missile strikes and the Balkan military campaign against Milosevic out of his playbook as "Wag the Dog" tactics to get the media to put its focus somewhere besides himself; doubtful, but that movie was a box office flop on release long before that, and became an overnight hit on video when the allegation was made, so at least a good film got more appreciation and revenue out of the whole thing!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Thots and Prayers posted:

Prayer heart lightning to you too, Monica.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Unknowable Hole posted:

If the President cant get a blowjob from a fat chick in the oval office what the gently caress is the point of being President?

A very common question back in the day. Or from another perspective, as Chris Rock put it in Bigger & Blacker: "That was his friend! He helped get her a job! Most people in this room got their jobs from a friend's recommendation! The least she could do was blow him! And if he was lacking something in his sex life, that's Hillary's fault!"

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm so impressed by her now. She was such an idiot back then, went through loving hell (can you imagine everyone knowing you let someone put a cigar up there, :wtc: ) and instead of suicide or drugs or alcoholism, whatever, shes a funny badass now.

Tough cookie, hats off to her.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I was 12 when the Monica Lewinsky scandal was going on. Even then when I was a little kid and knew nothing about politics whatsoever, I could remember feeling utterly disgusted at how inane and banal the media was at the time. Every single nightly news program, CNN segment, newspaper front pages, all of it was about this loving circus scandal and I was so sick of it at age 12.

I'm glad the stupid rear end 24 hour news cycle is endlessly funnier in today's day and age!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

COMRADES posted:

I was in grade school and at the time I couldn't understand why it was a big deal. I still don't really tbh it's not like Clinton's worst deed was lying about a BJ.

The big deal is Clinton had left a string of women claiming they were assaulted and all describing the same MO, which also conveniently happened to be the one he used on Lewinsky. It got turned into something much stupider, though.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
And to think they almost impeached him for it, but Trump can pay off Stormy Daniels and NOTHIN

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
Didn't know what a BJ was but had to pretend I did when the subject came up in Primary School to maintain my social standing

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

COMRADES posted:

they couldn't prove he broke the law any other time

it's like an obverse Scandal in Bohemia: sherlock holmes (bill"the cigar" clinton) is the perfect detective (politician), and always solves the mystery (is not convicted for his crimes), but for this one time that he slipped up by underestimating a wily dame (linda tripp) who held a crucial piece of information he didn't anticipate (one of the people he jizzed on still had the jizz)

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I would bang Monica Lewinsky and make Bill Clinton my eskimo brother.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Mnoba posted:

http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2002/01/17/20020117_175502_ml.htm

Drudgereport came out announcing the Lewinsky scandal on this date 1/17/1998, but of course the just as big scandal was the major media outlets holding back and not reporting on it for political reasons.

Most of us were alive back then, I remember not really giving as poo poo but specifically remember the slut shaming the women were getting and feeling bad for them. What do you recall about this great moment in US media history? What did non-US goons think about it?
I was probably drawing pictures of butts farting on faces at the time, or cats eating poop.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

new phone who dis posted:

The big deal is Clinton had left a string of women claiming they were assaulted and all describing the same MO, which also conveniently happened to be the one he used on Lewinsky. It got turned into something much stupider, though.
And yet all Donald Trump has to do is say "grab her by the pussy" was locker room talk and he gets elected. I'm genuinely not sure which world is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I remember being 7 and vaguely understanding from my parents' dinner table conversation that the president had done a bad thing that had something to do with a woman who wasn't his wife. The next morning at school I asked someone in my class what the deal was and the teacher heard and got super pissed, which naturally just made me more curious about what was going on. We ended up having to stay in for recess because people kept talking about it. Thanks Bill you rear end in a top hat

• Locked thread