Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Yeah honestly I wouldn't put it past the game if it were some strange preservation of speed thing happening when the game is loading different cells. That seems like a very bethesda thing to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Someone with an unmodded copy try this out. The scroll is just northwest of Seyda Neen.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Bluhman posted:

The distance of the Scroll of Icarian Flight likely seemed a lot larger back in the day because of the much shorter draw distance. By default there's no way to really see Ebonheart from Vivec and vice versa, which actually makes the two cities seem a lot further apart than they are.

Maybe it was just my crap computer back then but I do distinctly remember Icarian Flight usage harrowing since there was really only a split-second window on which you'd be able to see the ground.

double nine posted:

wait what? I swear a scroll of icarean flight would jump you from balmora to caldera or similar distances. Is ... is it because of the fog? Did the fog really obscure how small the distance traveled was?

I've been living a LIE!

Maybe the horizontal distance is different when cast/jumping while sprinting? IDK.

Yeah, the draw distance is like, one cell by default. Of course, I run a distant land patch that lets me see 10 cells away. :v:

I might be remembering something different I was messing around with when testing acrobatics.

... or, now that I'm thinking of it, encumbrance is probably a factor. It might be worth seeing how far you jump if you drop everything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think a lot of us might also remember using the scrolls with a mod that increased your base speed (as in how fast you actually move, not the the character stat), which I assume affects how far you go.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
If the acrobatics scaling is exponential like Epsilon Moonshade said then your actual unfortified acrobatics should matter, too. So maybe the people remembering Balmora-Caldera distances had a habit of jumping around everywhere and had 100 acrobatics? I've only played Morrowind once and I think I just hoarded the scrolls, so no anecdote from me.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Your horizontal distance depends a lot on your speed. Like, the speedrun uses a Redguard's Adrenaline Rush and The Steed sign to get 125 speed and jumps from Balmora to a dungeon past Ghostgate, a distance of 9-10 cells.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Staltran posted:

If the acrobatics scaling is exponential like Epsilon Moonshade said then your actual unfortified acrobatics should matter, too. So maybe the people remembering Balmora-Caldera distances had a habit of jumping around everywhere and had 100 acrobatics? I've only played Morrowind once and I think I just hoarded the scrolls, so no anecdote from me.

WrightOfWay posted:

Your horizontal distance depends a lot on your speed. Like, the speedrun uses a Redguard's Adrenaline Rush and The Steed sign to get 125 speed and jumps from Balmora to a dungeon past Ghostgate, a distance of 9-10 cells.

Nope. It's the encumbrance. And it's NOT exponential. See: http://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Research:Movement#Acrobatics

I'll bet that you'd get 9-10 cells or more if you dropped everything.

Edit: Of course, my memory may still be skewed since I tend to have characters with high acrobatics...

Also crap, quoted the same post twice. Fixed now. :eng99:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 14, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

edit nvm, or it's this ^

WrightOfWay posted:

This makes a lot of sense, even with the levels my speed is still like 39.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I kind of wish I had an Xbox just so I could have a guaranteed vanilla install that always works the same way. But then I'd have to own an Xbox.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I love the detail that they give you an odd number of them - you can use a second scroll to save yourself, as the video demonstrates, but if you use two to get somewhere, you'll be left with that last one... taunting you...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

cargohills posted:

They don't really have a ton of written dialogue, though. The average quest-giver in Morrowind - let's say the head of Balmora Mages Guild for example - will have some unique lines when they give you a quest, but almost everything else she says is drawn from the generic dialogue topics for all citizens ("rumours", "background"), for her race ("Dunmer"), for citizens of that town ("Balmora", "services") and for members of the Mages Guild ("Mages Guild").

Although it's useful considering the limitations of the game - you can ask pretty much anyone around Balmora for basic directions to shops and points of interest, which isn't as easy with unique NPC dialogue - when it comes to unique dialogue the differences aren't really that vast. The real difference is simply the quality of the writing. If Morrowind was made for the first time now and was fully voice-acted, it'd still be just as good. Equally, Jauffre from Oblivion would not become as interesting as Caius Cosades just because the words were written down instead of spoken aloud.

I agree that Morrowind has much better writing than Oblivion, but I still say that in its base form it has a lot more dialogue as well (and maybe I phrased that incorrectly at first). Yes most NPCs are drawing from a generic pool of answers to different topics, but imagine doing all of those lines for 20 different voice types (Males and female tracks for 10 races). Plus those generic answers are still more detailed than the generic answers that you get in Oblivion.

I think that if you took the volume and detail of writing in Morrowind and tried to do the dialogue on that scale in Oblivion while also having it all voiced, you would have been told to trim the script way down.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I kind of wish I had an Xbox just so I could have a guaranteed vanilla install that always works the same way. But then I'd have to own an Xbox.

I think my younger brother's is still in working order at my parents' place, I'll let you know when I'm there in August :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is also a good point. The spell is "slowfall." There's a separate spell, "feather," that reduces carry weight temporarily.
Yeah, I'm just used to D&D, where the spell actually is called "feather fall". In fact, I'd bet that the spell's name was changed in the Elder Scrolls games either to avoid lawsuits or to avoid confusion with said Feather spell.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

So, re: Icarian Flight:

Very interesting - I do have some sort of mod that tweaks the Icarian Flight scrolls to be 1000 points of acrobatics (for 7 seconds, too.) I don't know which one it is, but it's definitely there. It must be something I've had for a long time, since I don't remember it ever being 500 points. :shrug:

With that said, with 525 acrobatics total (i.e. 25 acrobatics + Icarian Flight) and no encumbrance, you can just barely make it from Balmora to Caldera if you aim right. That's about 5-6 cells by my count.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Being around Goon while having anything valuable in your pockets is apparently hazardous to your health.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Ebonheart seems so out of place after this islands of weird monsters and step-pyramids and such.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Glazius posted:

Man, Ebonheart seems so out of place after this islands of weird monsters and step-pyramids and such.

There's one more town that's largely the same (plus the various Legion forts) - and I think that's the point.

It kind of goes back to my first argument about "Why Oblivion Sucks" - I could walk out my back door (where I grew up, at least) and see very similar scenery to the Cyrodiil countryside. Morrowind, on the other hand, is extremely alien - weird mushrooms, weird plants, weird culture, etc.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Glazius posted:

It does, doesn't it? But yeah like Moonshade said that's the point, that the Empire are outsiders and strangers to this land.

It's also neat that there's like, 5? different major architectural styles. Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvani, Imperial, Temple and a slew of sub-styles and dungeon styles. Means you can walk into a town you've never been before and instantly know who's in charge.

wait till we see Vos/Tel Vos, too

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

So, re: Icarian Flight:

Very interesting - I do have some sort of mod that tweaks the Icarian Flight scrolls to be 1000 points of acrobatics (for 7 seconds, too.) I don't know which one it is, but it's definitely there. It must be something I've had for a long time, since I don't remember it ever being 500 points. :shrug:

With that said, with 525 acrobatics total (i.e. 25 acrobatics + Icarian Flight) and no encumbrance, you can just barely make it from Balmora to Caldera if you aim right. That's about 5-6 cells by my count.
Wikis confirm it's 1000 vanilla.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I love the detail that they give you an odd number of them - you can use a second scroll to save yourself, as the video demonstrates, but if you use two to get somewhere, you'll be left with that last one... taunting you...

you can use levitation or slowfall spells to stop your flight before impact, but even so ... if you use them all, they're gone! And you might need them later!

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wikis confirm it's 1000 vanilla.

:argh:

Okay, I'm dumb. I just looked, and there's an Icarian Flight spell and then an Icarian Flight enchantment. The former is actually a player spell, while the latter is what's used on the scroll. I forgot they were split, so every time I looked it up on a wiki, I found the spell. :eng99:

It's obviously been a while since I've used the construction set for doing stuff, because I know I had to figure this out in the past.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

Staltran posted:

There was another way of playing Morrowind? .. yeah, I jumped everywhere in that game. I ended up making custom spells of my own to let me super jump. I remember them being very crash heavy though..

It's amazing what a difference it makes without the fog though, yeah, just seeing everything fogged out and watching the tiny map screen flying by probably did make it feel like the speed was way higher.. giving me a bit of an urge to see what it's like again myself

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been jumping less because nobody wants that poo poo in videos.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I didn't mean to imply I didn't also jump everywhere, because I did :v:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've been jumping less because nobody wants that poo poo in videos.

au contraire, please icarian jump everywhere

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Really, it's just a more sceanic fast travel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stexils posted:

au contraire, please icarian jump everywhere
I mean regular jumping to raise Acrobatics.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Keeshhound posted:

Really, it's just a more sceanic fast travel.
When I played I didn't know how good Acrobatics could get; once I could enchant something with permanent Levitation, I flew around pretty much all the time. That was really nice and scenic but I wouldn't call it fast travel. Especially not with having to stop every minute to deal with Cliff Racers or the game crashing.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

ArchWizard posted:

When I played I didn't know how good Acrobatics could get; once I could enchant something with permanent Levitation, I flew around pretty much all the time. That was really nice and scenic but I wouldn't call it fast travel. Especially not with having to stop every minute to deal with Cliff Racers or the game crashing.

Levitation in Morrowind desperately needed a "fly up" and "fly down" key. I'd probably have used it a lot more if I didn't have to look directly into the air (or directly at my feet) to fly upwards.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Levitation in Morrowind desperately needed a "fly up" and "fly down" key. I'd probably have used it a lot more if I didn't have to look directly into the air (or directly at my feet) to fly upwards.

I think it has those, they just aren't initially bound to anything. It's called "swim up" and "swim down" in the key binding settings.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Skwirl posted:

I think it has those, they just aren't initially bound to anything. It's called "swim up" and "swim down" in the key binding settings.

I was ready to curse loudly, but no, these sadly don't seem to exist in the keybindings. drat shame, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was ready to curse loudly, but no, these sadly don't seem to exist in the keybindings. drat shame, too.

Maybe it's "Move Up" "Move Down"? I coulda sworn it existed for swimming and also worked for levitation.

I might be thinking of Quake 1.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Despite the limitations, levitating everywhere is still the fastest way to move around outdoors barring using one of those jump spells. Not having to negotiate terrain is a tremendous time saver.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
The jump spells (and boots of blinding speed) are way more fun though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Undoubtedly

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, I know OP wanted to be a dick to Fargoth in the opening, because gently caress that guy, but there’s a good reason to give him the ring. Fargoth thanks you by increasing your reputation with Arrille by a decent chunk, which gets you some extra cash for your loot when you need it most. If you then do the quest for Hrisskar, you can take the ring back, as Fargoth puts the ring in his hidey-hole along with his money, you monster. Seyda Neen pro-strats.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, I know OP wanted to be a dick to Fargoth in the opening, because gently caress that guy, but there’s a good reason to give him the ring. Fargoth thanks you by increasing your reputation with Arrille by a decent chunk, which gets you some extra cash for your loot when you need it most. If you then do the quest for Hrisskar, you can take the ring back, as Fargoth puts the ring in his hidey-hole along with his money, you monster. Seyda Neen pro-strats.

You can also just never talk to Hrisskar again and keep the money, I don't think there's any reason to ever speak to him after that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Skwirl posted:

You can also just never talk to Hrisskar again and keep the money, I don't think there's any reason to ever speak to him after that.

Really, it's exactlyly what he deserves.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Skwirl posted:

That part was covered by the OP. :colbert:

POsibr
Nov 14, 2017

These go to eleven, Keith.
Also, it is entirely possible to save Tarhiel from dying. One way is to run directly to the spot where he falls, before it happens (would probably require a lot Speed to make it, also precise positioning). Somehow, when he hits your head, the game doesn't register it as a proper surface and does not mete fall damage out. This was definitely true for the older versions, not sure if it has been corrected since.

The second way, I theorize, would be to cast a spell of Slowfall on him, either directly or via AoE.

Not that it has any real purpose, mind you. I don't remember exactly, but he either has no conversation options or offers just the gently caress-off Goodbye prompt.

It's just hilarious to know the system can be played. Similiar to how you can strip to your underwear to make hostile people talk to you. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

That part was covered by the OP. :colbert:
I'm going to turn in the quest... some day.

• Locked thread