Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officer-who-fatally-shot-justine-damond-charged-murder-n831206

quote:

The Minneapolis police officer who mistakenly shot and killed an Australian woman in July was behind bars Tuesday and charged with third-degree murder.

Officer Mohamed Noor was also charged with second-degree manslaughter in connection with the death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, according to records from the Hennepin County Jail. It was not clear whether Noor turned himself in or was arrested on a warrant, but Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman was expected to reveal more details later Tuesday. Freeman had previously said they did not have probable cause to charge Noor for fatally shooting the 40-year-old expat after she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault in the alley behind her home.

"I have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, the moment he shot the gun he feared for his life, and he used force because he thought he was gonna be killed,” Freeman told activists in a videotaped exchange. “But he won’t answer my questions, because he doesn't have to, OK? We all have Fifth Amendment rights, and I respect that." "And let me just say, it's not my fault," Freeman said in the video. "If it isn't my fault, who didn't do their jobs? ... Investigators — and they don't work for me. And they haven't done their job." The county attorney's office said in a statement to NBC News at the time: "We are working diligently on the case to complete the investigation as soon as possible. Beyond that, we cannot comment at this time."

But on Dec. 18, Freeman apologized for his comments, calling them “ill-advised” and said he was not aware he was being recorded. Noor has been on paid administrative leave since the shooting. His fate was left to prosecutors rather than to a grand jury after several high-profile police shootings in the area — and after the grand jury process was criticized as unfair because it rarely results in police officers being charged with crimes.

Damond’s maiden name was Ruszczyk but she had already started using her fiancé Don Damond’s last name. A life coach and motivational speaker who hailed from Sydney, Damond’s deadly encounter with Noor happened on July 15 when she approached the SUV that Noor and his partner Officer Matthew Harrity were driving in. Harrity, who was at the wheel, said he was startled by a loud noise just before Damond approached the open driver’s side window and that Noor fired from the passenger seat, striking the woman. Both officers were wearing body cameras, but they were turned off. So were the headlights of their vehicle. In the aftermath, Freeman said the shooting of Damond “didn’t have to happen, it shouldn’t have happened,” the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported.

Don Damond said he hoped Freeman would “act swiftly to review the findings and determine the charges.” Meanwhile, Michele Bachmann, a former Republican congresswoman who represented the Minneapolis exurbs, called Noor — one of the first Somali-American police officers on the force — an “affirmative action hire by the hijab-wearing mayor of Minneapolis.” Bachmann’s remark was criticized as racist by local Somali community leaders and Minneapolis city leaders. Also, Minneapolis police officers removed a memorial created by a white nationalist group for Damond that was placed outside the police headquarters.

So, like, good a cop finially being held accountable for killing a person. But at the same time :smith: of course America, this is the one we make a stand on. explicitly making it a race issue. Where the gently caress is blue lives matter? The darkest timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gas

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the cop that was sitting in the passenger seat and pointed his gun across the driving cops face to kill the lady opening the door to her house?
"I have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, the moment he shot the gun he feared for his life, and he used force because he thought he was gonna be killed,”

good he should burn

the only thing controversial about any of this (other than the incident itself) was how many people and groups defended him

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 20, 2018

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officer-who-fatally-shot-justine-damond-charged-murder-n831206

So, like, good a cop finially being held accountable for killing a person. But at the same time :smith: of course America, this is the one we make a stand on. explicitly making it a race issue. Where the gently caress is blue lives matter? The darkest timeline.

Any cop who kills anyone for anything other than life threatening danger should be in prison for murder or put to death as a jury sees fit. Blue lives matter rarely pops up in situations where the cop is doubtlessly a murderer.

Also it's really obvious that Michele Bachmann is a racist. Half the poo poo she says makes anyone who leans even slightly to the right look insane by association.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat murderer, good riddance imo.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

This thread could cause a riot in GBS.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Same thing happened with Peter Liang, not to say the guy shouldn't suffer any penalties but it's naive to think when there are so many obvious unpunished incidents of police abuse that coincidentally the not white dudes are ones to actually suffer consequences. You'd think they could throw a skinhead under the bus or something if they wanna show that they're cracking down.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
its such a strange murder that i feel like the cop might seriously just be really really really stupid. in which case police hiring policies pick up whatever blame doesnt go to him

like it wasnt a tense moment that required a spur of the moment response at all. just "hmmmm what i do in this situation? ...i know!" *shoots in direction of noise*

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
He is only jailed because he is black and muslim, if he were white, he would have been let go...sooo...

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
his name is not Cop, thread does not deliver :colbert:

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Jikes posted:

I seriously thought he was going to be named Cop too :cop:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yes I would like to buy a bucket of nightcrawlers and a spool of 8lb test.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
1 down

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jikes posted:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Jikes posted:

If only the OP knew how to use hyphens.

To be fair, though, very few people know how to use hyphens.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
more like David Cop-a-Feel :pervert:

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well that's one haram piggy

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
america is...bad

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

china bot posted:

america is...bad

:yeah:

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2a8x8g-ELI

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cziT5HVIXM

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gently caress the police comin' straight from the underground
A young nigga got it bad 'cause I'm brown
And not the other color so police think
They have the authority to kill a minority

Oh wait, the other guy is brown too? Problematic

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

I've seen this before and it is a classic, pro click.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

I retract that, this is the proclick version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6lwNyCo7O8

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bombadilillo posted:

Will he get completely off or a slap on the wrist?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

So it's a police officer whose name is Muslim?

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
If Justine was armed she at least might have been able to shoot back and defend herself from this menace

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sid Vicious posted:

So it's a police officer whose name is Muslim?

No, it’s a Muslim whose name is Cop

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
gently caress the police, OP

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Noor is the Somali translation for cop, dumbasses.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beef Turret posted:

Yeah

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

No, it’s a Muslim whose name is Cop

Not like Cophammed

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sid Vicious posted:

Not like Cophammed

Donuts be upon him.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't believe Muslim parents would name their son "cop".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I can't believe Muslim parents would name their son "cop".

Well they can't name him Pig

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bombadilillo posted:

That's Haram

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Beef Turret posted:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bombadilillo posted:

:piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jikes posted:

Also why the gently caress does anyone even bother talking to Michele Bachmann anymore?

• Locked thread