Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/976218577954099202

quote:

In his first week on the job, he fired 31 prosecutors from the DA’s office because they weren’t committed to the changes he intended to make. “Change is never easy, but DA Krasner was given a clear mandate from the voters for transformational change,” his spokesperson said at the time. “Today’s actions are necessary to achieve that agenda.”

Next, Krasner obeyed a court order to release a list of 29 officers from the Philadelphia Police Department that were on a “do-not-call list” — meaning that they were so tainted that they would be considered unreliable as witnesses. The police officers on the list had either been charged with crimes or found responsible for misconduct in internal police probes conducted by the department’s Board of Inquiry. Among the offenses, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the police officers had lied to their fellow investigators, filed false reports, used excessive force, driven drunk, and burgled.

quote:

All of that is big, but nothing is as essential and revolutionary as the internal five-page guiding document of new policies that Krasner sent to his staff. While the document appears to have been sent to the staff of the Philadelphia DA’s office on February 15, 2018, it only became public a week ago.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4415817-Philadelphia-DA-Larry-Krasner-s-Revolutionary-Memo.html#document/p1

Take some time to read it for yourself, y'all.

quote:

“These policies are an effort to end mass incarcerations and bring balance back to sentencing.”

quote:

Then, under the heading “Decline Certain Charges,” Krasner immediately instructs prosecutors to stop prosecuting marijuana possession regardless of the weight. Furthermore, he instructed prosecutors to stop charging those with marijuana with any paraphernalia crimes.

Next, Krasner instructed his prosecutors to stop charging sex workers that have fewer than three convictions with any crime and drop all current cases against sex workers who also fit that description. All sex workers with three or more convictions are to be referred to Dawn Court – a special diversionary program created in 2010 specifically for sex workers with repeat offenses, the first of its kind in the nation.

Under the heading “Divert More,” Krasner then instructed prosecutors to avoid convictions if possible and guide cases for diversion programs instead of jail and prison.

What Krasner’s memo said next was groundbreaking. First, Krasner instructed prosecutors to stop the wide-ranging practice of beginning plea deals with the highest possible sentencing and instead, begin those plea deals at the bottom end of the available range of time that can be served. And when less than 24 months is available as a sentence for a crime, house arrest or diversion programs should be used instead of incarceration.

quote:

Krasner instructed his prosecutors to now add up and justify the exact costs of every single person sentenced to a crime in Philadelphia. Stating that the city is currently spending an astounding $360 million per year to jail around just 6,000 people, Krasner then gave examples of all of the things that such money could be doing in the city currently. Stating that it costs between $42,000 and $60,000 per year to incarcerate a person, he reminded the prosecutors that the average total family income of a person in the city was just $41,000. The annual cost of incarceration, Krasner reminded his prosecutors, was currently more per year than the beginning salary of teachers, police officers, firefighters, social workers, addiction counselors, and even prosecutors in his office.

Krasner wrote, “If you are seeking a sentence of 3 years incarceration, state on the record that the cost to the taxpayer will be $126,000.00 (3 x $42,000.00) if not more and explain why you believe the cost is justified.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Larry is Good

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

This man makes my social justice boner a lethal weapon.

Dude probably has a few months to live before he's assassinated.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
go larry, elections matter

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
good on him

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
some elections matter more than others

Left wingers in every city should be digging around for qualified Civil Rights & public interest lawyers to get behind for DA races and elected judicial positions.

in material terms the difference between a mainline moderate liberal Democrat and a radical going to, say, the state legislature is very small.

The difference between a moderate liberal Democrat and a radical on the bench or in the DA’s office is very, very profound

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GalacticAcid posted:

Left wingers in every city should be digging around for qualified Civil Rights & public interest lawyers to get behind for DA races and elected judicial positions.

in material terms the difference between a mainline moderate liberal Democrat and a radical going to, say, the state legislature is very small.

The difference between a moderate liberal Democrat and a radical on the bench or in the DA’s office is very, very profound

It's why when Keith Ellison floated the idea of running for AG instead of Senator I was onboard

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Quite the document. Take the time to read it, everyone!

Krasner is instituting reforms that are a huge departure from the status quo. However, he's doing it cleverly, in a way that may prove popular with the public. He is requiring his DAs to grapple with the societal costs of mass incarceration, and he is requiring them to make statements on the record about how much money it will cost taxpayers to lock people up for long prison sentences.

Many Americans like harsh punishments for criminals. That's why it's been a winning strategy to run for office as "tough on crime". On the other hand, Americans hate seeing their tax dollars wasted, and many of them would rather see that money go toward other expenses.

Good luck to Krasner in keeping his reforms moving. This guy has definitely made himself public enemy number one of the correctional lobby. Best of luck to him, and I hope he wins.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The power prosecutors have is really crazy, and this has shown for certain that if you want to change the practices around policing you elect good DAs. Like... holy poo poo.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

krasner loving rules

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
appreciate the congrats for comrade krasner

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i read about krasner when he won because a leftie dem group endorsed his candidacy, he seemed pretty cool to me and it's very cool that he's walking the walk

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some more stuff on incarceration, which puts in better context why this Krasner reform is a MASSIVE loving DEAL

https://twitter.com/ClintSmithIII/status/976463002743525377
https://twitter.com/JohnFPfaff/status/976480140564815877

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

kranser is the cumshot king

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
yes, he's very good

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What organizations recruited Krasner to run and provided the initial organizational muscle for his campaign? I've heard that prison reform / outreach / abolition groups & some flavor of communist parties were involved.

I have not seen a good analysis of this and I think it's imperative to understand for forming urban electoral strategies elsewhere.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

this loving rules

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

What organizations recruited Krasner to run and provided the initial organizational muscle for his campaign? I've heard that prison reform / outreach / abolition groups & some flavor of communist parties were involved.

I have not seen a good analysis of this and I think it's imperative to understand for forming urban electoral strategies elsewhere.
the leftie dem group where i first heard about Krasner was the Working Families Party, which endorsed him in the primary. i'm sure a few other groups like that gave him their support

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Krasner is good

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this loving rules

pretty much, sums up Larry Krasner as DA quite well.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

GalacticAcid posted:

Krasner is extremely good. I know Shaun King is involved in a group called RealJusticePac that's providing support for other progressive DA candidates.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

K R A S N E R is spreading

https://twitter.com/PhillipsforDA/status/979021077140553730

This guy is running for DA for Sacramento in California, and by the way, is not the same Noah Phillips that Trump appointed to be FTC

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Trust the Criminal Justice Reform Process

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

in three years the current Manhattan DA, Cy Vance, will almost certainly be getting a primary challenge from Marc Fliedner. he already ran in the crowded primary in Brooklyn last year and came in third, and he moved to Manhattan a few months later. as a prosecutor, he secured a conviction for Peter Liang (a rookie cop who shot and killed a black man in a housing project in the dark), only to resign in protest after the DA's office took sentencing completely out of the hands of the judge and whittled down the punishment to almost nothing

unfortunately he won't have as much influence as Krasner because NYC is split into five boroughs that have their own DAs, and they're free to have their own policies. but that's still something to keep your eyes on

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
There are many prosecutor’s offices with lenient charging standards. They just don’t put it in writing.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Krasner is about to have his first big test and it will be interesting to see how he handles it.

There is about to be a trial for two brothers that killed a police officer during a holdup. The cop and his partner stop at a Gamestop so he can buy his son a game for his birthday and he walks into the robbery. He tries to stop it and they shoot and kill him.

The family wants the death penalty and Krasner has stated publicly he will not pursue a death sentence. Though, in this case he has hedged his statement.

This will be a case that shows how far he can carry his reforms.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

He's going to save Philly a shitload of money

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

:hai:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

:coolspot:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Larry Krasner has the distinct honor of being the only person who can trigger Philly area maga chuds more than Hillary Clinton, they seriously go apeshit over this guy.

A buddy of mine lives in northeast Philly but works in the suburbs with a bunch of chuds and they were giving him condolences after Krasner was elected, like now it's gonna be legal for BLM to break into your house and assault your dog.

Our DA here in Montgomery county is the most non-distinct cookie cutter white guy who used to be a republican. He might as well be an extra on law and order.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BootStrap posted:

The family wants the death penalty and Krasner has stated publicly he will not pursue a death sentence. Though, in this case he has hedged his statement.

In what way is he hedging?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's spreading

https://twitter.com/FairPunishment/status/979374497382875137

quote:

This legislative session, two bills aimed at prosecutorial accountability are being introduced in Louisiana. The first bill, known as the John Thompson Prosecutorial Accountability and Professional Standards Bill Prosecutorial Transparency Bill, establishes an oversight commission that would collect data from each district attorney’s office and make the information available to the public. The second, called the Prosecutorial Accountability Bill, would set up an 11-member commission with the power to investigate the acts of prosecutors, including calling witnesses, issuing subpoenas, and making findings of fact. The commission would also be able to issue reports and recommend impeachment proceedings against specific prosecutors for cause.

In a state with the highest incarceration rate and the second-highest exoneration rate per capita, it’s a welcome push by reformers who would like to see prosecutors held accountable for the actions. But for the elected Louisiana district attorneys, men who have long held power in the state and maintained it through considerable lobbying efforts, it’s an unwelcome encroachment on their impunity.

quote:

But the past year has seen reform-minded prosecutors win elections in other districts, bringing with them a popular push to move toward some kind of transparency. This year, some prosecutors initiated procedures to track basic data like plea bargains and charging patterns. While these measures seem simple, they have previously been elusive, and many DAs have fought to keep the information secret. For example, Kim Foxx in Chicago has agreed to make public six years of felony prosecution data. And in Florida, State Attorney Melissa Nelson, who ousted Angela Corey in 2016, is working with academics and nonprofits to assemble meaningful data to track prosecutions with the goal of improving the office’s policies.

quote:

Voices of the Experienced (VOTE), the primary organization behind the second bill, which creates a commission to investigate misconduct, says that the board is necessary in order to “give teeth” to the requirement that prosecutors are accountable to the public. “It’s an idea whose time has come,” Will Harrell, the senior public policy counsel of VOTE, told me over the phone. The accountability board’s composition is specifically to include lawyers and non-lawyers as well as people who have been recently incarcerated in order to emphasize the importance of lived experience and the voices of people like Thompson in addition to legal experts.

The legislation is intended to fill a gaping void that is especially noticeable in Louisiana. There are limited ways in which prosecutors can be held accountable. After the Supreme Court ruling in Thompson’s case, prosecutors have enjoyed immunity from the sorts of civil lawsuits that are filed against the police, even in cases where prosecutors deliberately withhold information or falsify evidence or testimony.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

SKULL.GIF posted:

In what way is he hedging?

He met with Wilson's family in West Philly and danced around the issue, not issuing a firm answer to will he / won't he ask for the death penalty. Krasner's office has declined to comment about the case.

That said, I am against capital punishment by the state in any circumstance.

That said, bootstrap, you have your facts wrong;

Wilson was in the store, buying a game; the Hipps and Williams came in to rob the store, and when they saw Wilson they turned around and started shooting. Wilson got hit, started firing back, and began moving so that the gunfire would be in a direction away from where the other people in the store were.

This is a pretty horrible crime; its also the type of case that would easily get a jury to approve the death penalty, there is clear video surveillance of the entire gunfight.

Because its Philly and racial politics matter, Wilson was black, his shooters were black, Wilson's family that is asking Krasner to seek the death penalty is black.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
abolish the death penalty

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Assign the death penalty retroactively to the dead guy too for participating in a public gunfight

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Compromising here would be a mistake. He should decline to seek the death penalty.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Larry Parrish posted:

Assign the death penalty retroactively to the dead guy too for participating in a public gunfight

So uh, Wilson should have just let himself be peacefully shot to death?

Krasner was elected in Philly and is going to make a choice based on his judgement of the political reality of Philly. I hope he declines to seek the death penalty, and makes a strong statement of ‘I will never seek the death penalty’ but I suppose this will be a test of how much of a political animal he is. The man isn’t a saint, so we’ll see how he goes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i gotta say, Louisiana is the absolute last state i figured would even consider something like this

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

voted 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laphroaig posted:

So uh, Wilson should have just let himself be peacefully shot to death?

Krasner was elected in Philly and is going to make a choice based on his judgement of the political reality of Philly. I hope he declines to seek the death penalty, and makes a strong statement of ‘I will never seek the death penalty’ but I suppose this will be a test of how much of a political animal he is. The man isn’t a saint, so we’ll see how he goes.

He should have tactically used gunkata pistol whipping to disable the perpetrators

• Locked thread