Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I was asked by a friend of mine to watch his property for the spring and summer. He has a small cabin up in northern New England on about 30 acres that does have electricity and wifi but that is it. I have always been a outdoors person but this was something completely different. I am not looking to live off grid or off the land but would like to unplug some and test myself in something different. I am looking for any advice on what to bring or what to read that could help me. For instance he has chickens that he uses for both eggs and meat and was told I could do the same. I have never killed and cleaned a chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Spring and Summer are loving cakewalks, but depending on how deep woods or back country this property is in, you might need to consider bringing power & hand tools, backup/emergency supplies and firearms for protection from wildlife and/or hunting if that's your thing. Definitely ask him more details and get an inventory of what is on the property right this moment so you can better figure out what you need and what he has already.

Firewood - ask him if hes got a stockpile already, or needs to buy some and/or have you cut and chop some. Don't just show up expecting there to be burnable wood and you WILL need firewood, it gets cold as gently caress in the spring and even summer nights at elevation.

Chickens - Dear god you will never touch chicken meat again if you have to deal with them and/or butcher them yourself. They are DIRTY loving animals. I would avoid that experience even if you are looking to get all woodsy. If you want to try your hand at preparing meat, try doing fish first before you get into something more messy...

Power - is he on the grid or is this a generator? if the latter, better bring a gently caress load of gas, a genny can blow through gas like mad depending on what you are powering and size of the genny.

Storage - I assume he's got a fridge and freezer? Best to also ask where the nearest gas station and/or grocery store is, else you will need to pack-in several weeks or more for food and other consumables (toilet paper and beer!!).

Misc - are you going alone? is this a "vacation" or are you going to be there for a while (months+)?

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 30, 2018

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I will be there from mid/end of April until mid/end of September. I have cleaned fish from the age of 10 so I will probably be doing that as well. He is on grid but has very few modern conveniences. Gravity fed water system., no washer or dryer, wood stove, outhouse. He does have a really nice propane grill and plenty of fire wood. He actually has air conditioning and wifi...his only conveniences. It will be me and my dog.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Here I was thinking you were lucky to even have a light bulb or hot water. That's not homesteading at all, that's "I'm going on vacation for a few months". Yeah it sucks about the washer/dryer, so I guess you're going to need to drive down to the laundry place in town once every two weeks, life's hard man, but you'll live.

Good luck "roughing it" with AIR CONDITIONING and WIFI!

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

Slayerjerman posted:

Here I was thinking you were lucky to even have a light bulb or hot water. That's not homesteading at all, that's "I'm going on vacation for a few months". Yeah it sucks about the washer/dryer, so I guess you're going to need to drive down to the laundry place in town once every two weeks, life's hard man, but you'll live.

Good luck "roughing it" with AIR CONDITIONING and WIFI!

You don't know what homesteading means.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

shits.ridic posted:

You don't know what homesteading means.

Neither does the OP.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
So define it? Also I never said what I was doing was homesteading. I was looking for advice that is it.

NiknudStunod fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think of homesteading as basically attempting to be self sufficient, or serving many of your food needs yourself. Bit of farming, bit of fruit trees, bit of small livestock. Or wherever else can be done with the land in the region where you're at, with a goal of maximum output with minimal effort, because you're not focusing on one product.

(To me) it's whatever you make it. We have pasture pigs, dairy goats, and free range chickens which we have coaxed to lay in boxes...mostly. Every year we learn and add things. This year we have a small vegetable garden. Currently getting a gallon of goat milk and 4-6 eggs a day from our handful of goats and chickens. Had a suckling pig that we butchered ourselves for Easter today. his tiny ribs were delicious

Edit - none of that really helps or applies to you, except the chickens. I'll be contrary to previous advice and say you should absolutely learn to kill and clean a chicken. There's not a ton you could do with the time you've got here... But a vegetable garden in a raised bed, or even pots is very doable.

Beyond that... Enjoy the solitude. A summer in the woods in a nice cabin is an enviable position.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 2, 2018

• Locked thread