Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mierenneuker posted:

remember The Number 23?

You've got to be making GBS threads me (count the characters, including spaces)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's a lot more than that, actually.

Why don't you expound on that thought? It's not obvious to me and I'd like to hear it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kiimo posted:

Thursday

Now the real question: will it be better than Pixels, the laugh-a-minute side-splitting riot that had audiences coming back for more? ;)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Kodiak posted:

This trend where seeing movies about scantily-clad models killing people is feminist is pretty convenient.

I Spit On Your Grave is feminist empowerment! *gag*

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's honestly a joke to pretend Queen was still Queen after Freddie. Come on.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vintersorg posted:

Agreed, I loving love that setup. Cavill is so cool.

Over in the action thread we've been talking about how actors with real acting backgrounds make certain scenes crackle with their physical facial acting and I absolutely think that Cavill's face is doing a lot of work here. He looks like he's gonna murder that dude.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MI tends to kill their villains...but, assuming Cavill can live up to that trailer scene, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the sequels. Hopefully they won't throw him off a cliff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"The more brutal, thuggish Ethan Hunt" is actually a good character idea.

Also the guy in Fallout was the bad guy in the last movie (Solomon Kane) so maybe they're turning over a new leaf or something. IDK. McQuarrie is the first guy to direct two in a row so we'll see what happens.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kanonvandekempen posted:

I liked the 1973 movie, with steve mcqueen and dustin hoffman. This looks lame.

It looks very different...not sure it's possible to beat the McQueen-Hoffman combo. Charlie Hunnam really has a lot of work to do, here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wayne also turned down the Gary Cooper role in High Noon because he realised that it was subtly anti-blacklisting and he thought blacklisting was the bee's knees.

(Gary Cooper was politically conservative like Wayne, but he was anti-blacklisting.)

John Wayne was also a draft dodger (to fight the drat Nazis) and serial divorcee. A genuinely bad person.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It looks like it could have been an ok movie but drat that production design is some New Adventures of Hercules tier poo poo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The MSJ posted:

That World War 2 movie that was rumored to be part of the Cloverfield series but apparently not anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hiH2gNNQ8A

Love it!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BonoMan posted:

And the "look" of Halo only works for video games and just looks cringe worthy in real life.

There's been a couple of live action Halo commercials and it's looked like generic sci-fi. Nothing noteworthy about it either pro or con. There's also some pretty accurate cosplay out there and, again, it looks like fairly standard sci-fi miltech. Not quite sure what's cringe-worthy about it, maybe you want to post a pic?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I just can't get behind your perspective. Video games are not always dumb fun and movies are not always smart work (the opposite of dumb fun, I suppose). And I do think there's a niche for near-future tech that looks like modern stuff with a few more doodads bolted on. But thank you for taking the time to illustrate this for me, I do appreciate it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I gotcha, but since I am a huge fan of Battletech 3025 - the very definition of dumb-rear end blocky impractical milshit - it's just an aesthetic clash.

My initial reading of your post was that they had taken it in a bad direction but it's just the same ol' chunk that it always was, for better or worse.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I didn't know that about Liv Tyler in Ad Astra. Also, I'm one of 5 people who really loved Ad Astra.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I wish their was a market for sci-fi movies that cost decent money but only had a few small action set-pieces and mostly spent that money on mood. Ah well.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The moon buggy chase sequence was great

So was the space elevator sequence.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bugblatter posted:

I hope it *is* like the Batman and we just keep getting progressively grittier takes until in 2050 someone like Zack Synder is releasing his grimdark version.

Snyder's version is only grimdark because he's being manipulated by a supervillain. By the next movie, he's full of hope and faith.

Also Snyder will be 84 in 2050, unless he's pulling a Ridley Scott I think we're "safe" (I wrote this before checking Ridley Scott's age, which is pretty weird).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If y'all didn't hear, Avatar trailer views smashed every single record there ever was.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FoneBone posted:

to be fair, I'll watch Tilda in anything, but I'm definitely in for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGvntl9itE&t=1s

This is my hole, it was made for me, etc.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Amazon Prime essentially has a Black Rifle Coffee Movie Division that churns out Tom Clancy pap, so this is right in their wheelhouse.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

literally why is it so hard for people to admit it's a pretty okay movie at best?

Do not attempt to tell a bunch of strangers to accept your hot take as fact.

And it is 100% a hot take btw. I mean the fact that if you did a poll of the movie industry literally 80% of the people 50 or younger would say "I got into the movies because of Star Wars", it had so much cultural gravity it quite literally distorted the entire film industry toward it. Any movie that could break so many peoples' minds so thoroughly and remain relevant for over 45 years is not "a pretty okay movie" that got lucky, come on now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Eh we all have hot takes, it's trying to convince people they're correct that I object to.

As far as Star Wars succeeding on coincidence, I think that's an interesting theory. I do think that the New Hollywood movement was going to end at some point (the mass audience was not going to turn out in droves for The Deer Hunter which was famously in production when Star Wars debuted, or Sorcerer, which is a great film but a grueling one). I don't see anyone else accomplishing what Lucas did in the short term. Spielberg maybe, although I don't see Raiders changing lives like Star Wars did. What are some of your candidates?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

wyoak posted:

Spielberg - Jaws had maybe already done it?

I think Spielberg is probably the best candidate, I mean ET was enormous. Enormous! It just wasn't built for a franchise so it didn't leave much of a footprint. I think blockbusters may have warped slightly toward being more kid-friendly if Spielberg had been the breakout, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

That's ahistorical nonsense, sorry.

To a kid it would absolutely be the equivalent.

The top 5 ticket sales of all time are Star Wars, E.T., Gone with the Wind, the Sound of Music, and Titanic. Basically these movies were all massive cultural phenoms in a league of their own (Titanic absolutely was, even though I was too old to get swept up in it, and my mom was absolutely gaga for Sound of Music) separated only by degrees. So yeah, technically E.T. wasn't as "big" as Star Wars, and it certainly didn't have the longevity, but it was huge. I had the bed sheets (and the Star Wars bed sheets, you know the ones.) and remember hearing "phone home" jokes for what seemed like 5 years, so yeah.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also ET hit at just the right time. The year before ROTJ.

I remember my dad was going to the movies all the time and coming home with wild tales of what he just saw for my brother and I. Blade Runner was the detective movie with the best lighting of all time (this is how he described it)! The Thing made him sick and he hated it. Referred to Arnold in Conan the Barbarian as a "real hardbody". I really wish we had more "person on the street who just walked out of the theater and gives you their first impression of the movie" footage from that time, would be fun to see.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jedit posted:

"We don't cotton much to Atari VCS cartridges in these parts, boy."

I saw Star Wars and ET on their original theatrical runs. They both took over the pop culture world for a time, and ET would have been the equivalent of Avatar or Infinity War/Endgame today - it would have broken $2bn global for sure - but Star Wars was gargantuan. I saw it a full year after it first came out because some cinemas were still showing it, and then it got a revival when Empire came out. The two simply aren't comparable.

They were playing ET a year after it came out too and in fact for a brief period of time it actually had made more money than Star Wars. Anyway, this is a silly conversation because both films were massive cultural juggernauts, but ET was not built for toys or franchise and so gradually faded away. Still a good film for kids, my son's gonna watch it this summer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I imagine it will involve the Predator getting overconfident and falling to human ingenuity and persistence, as per usual.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It was a really great decision to make Predators sport hunters. People intrinsically understand that sport hunting is disgusting. Little kids know that Elmer Fudd deserves to be tormented.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BonoMan posted:

Looks pretty good but the perfect english is throwing me off

In the tradition of one of McTiernan's other movies they should zoom in on the mouth of a person speaking Commanche, and have them switch to English.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You could absolutely do a movie where the Predators are the good guys, just not one that involves the kind that do the sport hunting.

Predator vs The Thing. Now there's a movie that isn't some boring "how about a movie where the aliens kill people I don't like, no I'm not a reactionary I promise" poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

live with fruit posted:

Isn't that basically AvP?

If badly written, yes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

presumably because the vast majority of humanity has apparently decided they're funny and good and people like us who dislike them are the weirdos

I know it can feel this way but it's because Youtube has shuttled you off the "main track".

99% of Youtube Movie Crit people's best video aren't even in the same league as, say, your average moderately popular Video Game Lore video. If we get into Affiable Engineering area they're a blip, can't remotely compete with, say, a guy who makes 3 minute videos of him picking a lock while pleasantly discussing security issues. If we actually go into the True Mainstream Youtube area, the Mr. Beasts of the world, they are quite honestly less than a speck of dust.

The average person is not watching or engaging with this poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Things Youtube has been absolutely fantastic for:

Helping me do physical projects and diy repair (painting tips, fixing an electrical issue, understanding why an engine won't start)
Deep dives into scientific and engineering topics
Comparing the size of a thing to another thing
"Hey remember this thing from when you were a kid? You weren't crazy, here's footage that it actually existed"

Things Youtube is not absolutely fantastic for:

Literally everything else

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

oh man i love science youtube

i particularly like PBS Space Time, which is an independant show that PBS gives money to i guess? anyway, it's written and hosted by this dude who, i am convinced, is an actual alien

I know the dude and yeah the "I'm explaining stuff my planet learns in kindergarten to the dumbo earthlings" vibe is very strong.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"What if you were grappling and your opponent was a limb-bending vampire?" is a dang good premise for an action scene, honestly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I really want to hear a interview with Zombie about what he's going for, because I think the look was deliberate and it's just coming off as dated and cheapo to everyone, including people like me who are interested in the movie but just totally put off by everything they've seen so far.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

thrawn527 posted:

Found an interview from last month where he talks about the colors.

Well, IMO it doesn't look like a live action cartoon, it looks like a live-action TV Movie circa 1981.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vintersorg posted:

Doesn't explain why it looks so cheap tho as his other movies look wonderful.

He didn't have the budget or the expertise (or both) to get what he was going for, he has said he was shooting for a stylized look and it just didn't land. Or it did land, but only to a small handful of people - the rest of us thinks it looks cheapo or weird or dated or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

Woah, I thought that looked like absolute bile. An utterly bland and cynical cash grab.

When I think bland D&D I think like, Elminster and poo poo. Not Hugh Grant dressed like a combination game show host/playboy.